Ensemble [Book 1: SEKTOR V Tr...

SEKTORV által

Meet Stanley Dial, an average shmoe, who also happens to be the world's best and most unlikely time traveler... Több

SEKTOR V Trilogy Intro...
Chapter 1: Stanley
Chapter 2: Situation Secure
Chapter 3: The Underground Movement
Chapter 4: Cover the Trail
Chapter 5: Squaring Up
Chapter 6: A Comedy of Errors
Chapter 7: Cleanup on Aisle ICP
Chapter 8: Forensics
Chapter 9: The Institute
Chapter 10: Rendezvous at the Rathskeller
Chapter 11: A Plan to Get Stan
Chapter 12: Vat Do You Vant?
Chapter 13: F A M I L Y
Chapter 14: The New Unholy Alliance?
Chapter 15: Liberty
Chapter 16: The Seeds are Sown Underground
Chapter 17: Together at Last
Chapter 18: Lab Rat
Chapter 19: ICP Terms and Conditions
Chapter 21: Stanley Gets Initiated
Chapter 22: So Many Questions
Chapter 23: The New Alliance Formulates a Plan
Chapter 24: The ICP Check-In
Chapter 25: Something Was Not Quite Right
Chapter 26: Start Jumping
Chapter 27: Jump, Stanley, Jump
Chapter 28: Third Time's a Charm
Chapter 29: Stalling Cranston
Chapter 30: Swimming Upstream
Chapter 31: Giving it a Rest
Chapter 32: If It Walks Like a Duck...
Chapter 33: The Unholy Union
Chapter 34: Vantage Point
Chapter 35: Next Generation
Chapter 36: Datek's (D) Day
Chapter 37: The Getaway
Chapter 38: It's (Almost) Over
Chapter 39: M.I.R.E

Chapter 20: The Commitment

127 20 25
SEKTORV által

Chapter 20: The Commitment

The stealth setup the Underground had established was impressive. Stanley knew he'd traveled south and east from Philly two nights ago and he still didn't know much more than that. The Institute, as they called this place, had a university feel with its rural, wide-open layout but, at the same time, it also felt nothing like a higher learning center or research facility. The buildings blended in with the surroundings and, for the most part, were very nondescript. Many of the lecture halls and labs, including the one he was in today, were nothing more than converted grain storage facilities and rural warehouses. These people were hiding in plain sight.

At this point, Stanley really wanted to know how long he was going to be stuck in the Underground's petri dish. He was tired of being in the dark and he wanted some real answers. At least now he was out of the medical labs he'd been stuck in for the past two days. On top of everything else, he'd somehow managed to endure a barrage of brain scans along with several varieties of neuro- and psychological testing with countless additional requests for blood and other bodily fluids thrown in for good measure. This afternoon, however, was supposed to be different. And so far, while he wouldn't readily admit, he actually was having a modicum of fun.

Today Dr. Maddy Wilheim had him looking at a collection of brain-teasers that was designed to compare his cognitive skills and general reflexes with a reference baseline. This prompted Stanely to ask the Director a question, who was sitting directly across from him.

"So this 'baseline' you all keep referring to...when was this done?"

"Baseline?" she asked. "Oh, you must be referring to the comparative cognitive baseline. Well, some of that was done the day before you jumped. You were out cold for about eighteen hours so we had some time to do portions of the analysis while you were unconscious. Not all of it though, since most of your behavioral traits and other cognitive tendencies had to be observed while you were conscious. Much of what we documented and recorded occurred over a longer period, beginning well before your initial Jump."

"Wait a minute. So you were spying on me when I was visiting with Tree Hand and his mostly mute friend?"

Madeleine laughed. "Stanley, we selected you for the task. You had been screened along with many others the ICP had 'interactions' with. Your psychological profile and the genetic make-up we were able to obtain from trace DNA told us a lot about you."

Stanley stared blankly at her. After a moment, he snapped his mouth shut. "Now I just feel dirty."

The Director laughed again. "Oh please, Stanley, we saved you from yourself. You are one of the most self-destructive people we've ever worked with. You got yourself into a world of trouble with the ICPs without any help from us. You lost your job but the endless double down bets are what did you in. You, and your entire family would not be around if it weren't for us."

"You must be joking. You saved me?" Stanley couldn't believe what he was hearing. He pushed aside the last test he'd completed, slid back his chair as he started counting off each point. "Let's see... Somehow, you fail to mention that you sent me on a trip to an alternate dimension where there's other versions of me and my family running around. Then, on top of that, you outright lie and tell me that I can just drive home from the Tropicana after winning the bet. Worst of all, your plan literally was to leave me stranded, to never see my family again regardless of the outcome at the casino. The only reason I'm here is because of the Ministry. Yes, the same 'evil' Ministry you and your righteous Underground cohorts rail against incessantly."

He couldn't get himself to even look in her direction.

"Now wait a minute, Stanley. Obviously you are angry, and from the limited amount of information you have, your reaction is understandable. However, you need to listen to me in order to get the complete picture. Yes, we didn't tell you about the alternate timeline Jump. We knew that might be upsetting to you and the way we operate here is that everything is on a need to know basis and you didn't need to know. And yes, we did tell you that you could drive home. The reason we did that was to eliminate the need to have any handlers involved in the return trip."

"Wait... That makes no sense. How am I driving home from some Twilight Zone universe?"

Maddy smiled. "Even when you're mad, you can be funny. I like that."

Still irked, Stanley crossed his arms. If you think you're going to charm your way out of this, you're nuts.

"No, of course not," she continued. "Driving was a lie, but at no point would we ever have left you stranded over there. The plan, which you were completely unaware of, was to have our agent bring you back after the final bet was over, regardless if you won or lost. The complications arose, after your...shall we say, meltdown occurred."

"Agent? What agent? I didn't see any agent!"

"Oh, he was there. Agent Herrara Jumped several hours after you did. He was monitoring you and everything else that was going on. The surveillance information he was recording would have supplemented the data that Lynn just extracted from you."

Did he hear that right? "Would have?"

"Well, yes. He's dead. Once your situation unraveled and the Ministry was alerted, Agent Herrera was trapped and had to self-terminate."

Jesus...

"There's more. Herrera's primary job was to bring you home after your casino wagers were complete. Obviously he never got that chance."

Stanley exhaled. Great. Thanks for dumping a guilt trip in my lap.

"And just so there is absolutely no confusion, Herrera's last transmission informed us of your 'situation'. At that point, we put together a plan to come get you. Ultimately, that contingency became unnecessary once the Ministry sent you back within hours."

Stanley looked away so as to avoid meeting her gaze.

Maddy demonstrably shifted her position in her chair. Stanley assumed the move was an attempt to regain his attention.

"Look, Stanley, I'm not trying to make you feel guilty." The Director paused, seemingly waiting for him to make eye contact with her. Stanley refused. After a few seconds, the Director continued, "Agent Herrera did his job well. We are proud of him. And believe me, we understand how the Ministry's ongoing practice of social and economic repression irreparably hurt you and millions of others. We are genuinely happy that we're in a position to help you turn your life around. I've only known your family for a short while but I can genuinely say that we want the best for all the Dials. Take a good look around you. Your family is decompressing from all the stress they've been under for the past few years. You're all finally safe. The Ministry won't find you here. And if they somehow did, we have plenty of resources and ways to protect you and your family for the rest of your lives. Of course, you are still free to leave anytime you wish. However, that might not be in your family's best interest given the circumstances."

Stanley knew she was right. And maybe they could learn to start over. The kids were definitely loving life out here with paintball, basketball, and now fishing and waterskiing today. The Director was spoiling them badly. And deep down he was thankful for every minute of it. Even Maria seemed at ease. The one thing she cared about more than anything was for the family to remain together. Out here, that was possible. Out here, he also was a bio-genetic rock star, at least as far as time travel was concerned. Still, he had questions, and he deserved answers.

He looked up. "I want to know more."

"I am sure you do," responded Maddy, "and I'll help get you the answers you need."

"Seriously?"

"Absolutely, Stanley. Whatever questions I cannot answer myself, we will find you someone who can. As far as we are concerned, you and your family are part of our family now, and real families are built on trust. There is only one catch," she added.

Naturally, of course there's a catch!

"You can ask us anything, and if we have the answers you seek we will not mislead you or keep you in the dark any longer. However," she locked her gaze with his, "if this is indeed what you want, you will have to become one of us. Your family will not have to make that choice right now, but you will. There is no way out once you cross that threshold. You will have one way out but it will end your life. You will carry this exit clause with you at all times. For the sake of humanity, the Ministry cannot learn what we know and what we can do. This is the sacred bond we all share. It is something we all have accepted. If you are to become one of us, you too will have to take on this responsibility. Do you want to continue, Stanley Dial?"

Stanley swallowed hard as he contemplated the ramifications of what she just dumped on him. What choice do I really have? Finally, he said, "Deep stuff, Director...but yes, I'm willing to make that commitment."

"Outstanding. Then let's proceed."

Olvasás folytatása

You'll Also Like

17.6K 2.3K 24
|WATTYS 2022 WINNER - HORROR| Shawn, a convicted criminal, never thought she'd see the sun again, let alone call another star system her home. When s...
5.5K 899 20
Two aliens on the run, manage to bump into each other on a distant planet at just the right time. ✨~✨~✨ Liri Delaney, the only child of Dubrovn plane...
3.6K 1K 68
Wattys 2021 shortlist. Shipwrecked on a criminal-infested mining colony, military telepath Reid Kaplan needs answers about the attack on his ship and...
2.7K 161 33
|18X FEATURED| Daniel Matton wasn't ready for an adventure, not until 3023 sent him into space on a journey to prehistoric times. The prehistoric ani...