Stumbling Through

By LikkleBagel

"Being a teenager sucks, all you can really do is stumble through the years." School. Grades. Judgements. Bul... More

Day to Day
The Moment of Change
Nosy Friends
Challenge Accepted
Annoying Texts
The Reed Family
Scary Films
Meet The Mum
Strange Moods
Invites
Party (Like It's 2012)
Being Juvenile
Just A Few Minutes
When I Wake Up
Dancing Heart
Mission Derek
Family Dinner
'I Like You'
Things in Common
The Mother
Intimidating Moments
The Worst Day (Part One)
The Worst Day (Part Two)
A Shared Warmth
Once Gone
Fixing Bridges
The Best of Friends
Tongue Tied
Epilogue

Horrible Food

12.5K 562 95
By LikkleBagel

This chapter is dedicated to wonderlandismyhome99 <3 I hope you had a great birthday and sorry this chatper has taken so long :P

Also thank you to everyone reading this story - I've been recieving so much feedback and it's been really helpful!

soo.....I'M FINALLY TAKING THIS STORY OFF OF 'SLOW UPDATES' because I plan to update it a lot more regularly than every once a few months like I have been recently! :)

As always votes and comments are greatly appreciated, but most of all PLEASE ENJOY:

Part Two

Chapter Nineteen

Willow’s POV:

“Whoa. Way to take initiative on Mission Derek.” Jenny said looking down at me in wonderment after I finished telling both her and Chrissie about what had happened at Derek’s house.

“I’m going to be honest I didn’t know you had it in you.” Chrissie agreed looking impressed.

Jenny nodded her head in agreement. “I thought for sure I was going to have to commence with plan ice.”

I frowned a little. “Plan Ice?” I asked a little warily.

She puffed out her chest in pride. “Like it? I thought of the name myself. It’s quite genius.”

“Such modesty.” Chrissie said sarcastically, whilst rolling her eyes.

Jenny ignored the comment. “Ice is short for isolation.” She explained with a grin. “Want to hear the details?” She asked.

“Uh…” I honestly didn’t know if I did.

“The plan basically consisted of locking you two in a room until you started making out.” Chrissie said lacking the enthusiasm Jenny had for the idea. “She came up with it whilst watching Failure to Launch.”

“You missed the part where we locked them in a walk in freezer. Not room.” Jenny continued giving Chrissie the stink eye for her bland retelling of her plan of self-proclaimed pure brilliance.

“You don’t even know where to find a walk in freezer.” Chrissie shot down the idea.

“Doesn’t matter – it totally made the idea, because one it made the name Plan Ice a thousand times cooler, pun intended, and two it gave them more reason to snuggle up to each other which is what leads to them making out in the first place.” She said smugly.

“You realise your certifiable, right?” Chrissie asked her.

Jenny frowned moodily, and I rolled my eyes at the pair of them, turning to put my bag inside my locker as they hashed it out between them.

I kind of wish I was with Derek right now – but I didn’t want to be one of those girls that ditched their friends as soon as they got a boyfriend.

Boyfriend.

The word sent a thrill through me.

Derek’s my boyfriend now.

I’d never felt so excited to call any guy that before.

I was broken out of my thoughts by a loud laugh. Turning my head I frowned at Jenny and Chrissie who were both sharing very amused looks.

“What?” I asked cautiously.

Jenny cocked an eyebrow at me. “Well we were trying to talk to you and you had gone off to La La Land. And by the dopey expression I would guess you were thinking about Derek.”

I couldn’t fight back the small blush at her comment.

“Hit the nail on the head with that guess.” Chrissie said taking in my blush. Jenny nodded her head in agreement.

“Shut up.” I scowled at the both of them.

Jenny grinned. “Gosh you’re adorable.” She continued to tease. “You’re so love struck.”

I didn’t meet her eyes. “I’m not love struck.” I muttered.

“Hey, speak of the devil! There’s Derek.” As soon as Chrissie said the words my head snapped in the direction she was looking, only to find she’d been looking at nothing but the empty corridor.

Of course she had been. It was early cheerleading practice today – most of the school weren’t even here yet.

Jenny started laughing loudly again.

“You guys are real jerks.” I said glaring at the pair of them as they laughed together.

Neither seemed bothered by my comment.

“So cute.” Jenny continued.

“Hate you so much right now.” I told her flatly.

“You could never.” She said confidently, wrapping her arm over my shoulder, as she grinned widely. I knocked her arm off of me as I rolled my eyes and slung my gym bag over my shoulder.

I stuck my tongue out at her immaturely, and she pulled a face right back.

“You guys are so mature.” Chrissie told us sarcastically.

Jenny and I shrugged our shoulders, and turned to her saying ‘what and ever’ in perfect sync with one another, in our snobbiest voices.

Chrissie let out a long sigh before falling to our side as we made our way towards the school changing rooms. A few of the girls were already there, talking loudly, including Courtney.

“WILLOW!” I winced a little when she instantly sought me out, rushing towards the three of us with an excited ‘gossip’ grin on her face. “Is it true?” She asked. “Or was it meant as some kind of joke or something?”

“Uh…what are you asking?” I asked in confusion.

“Facebook. You changed your relationship status from single to ‘in a relationship with Derek Reed’!” She said in one big rush.

Oh right. I’d forgotten I’d done that. Other girls were now trying to discreetly listen in, looking interested in hearing my response.

Before I could answer Courtney’s question she was already speaking over me. “You weren’t actually being serious were you?” She asked, a knowing tone to her words. “It was a joke, right?”

I frowned. “Wrong. It wasn’t a joke, I was being one hundred per cent serious.” I told her in deadpan. “Why wouldn’t I be?” I asked, raising an eyebrow in her direction challengingly.

Courtney stared at me as if I’d asked a completely ridiculous question. “Because it’s Derek Reed.” She said in a ‘duh’ voice, not seeming to realise that every time she spoke she was testing my patience.

“You say that as if it’s a bad thing.” I said through my teeth.

Courtney smiled. “No offence, but it kind of is.”

“How on earth was that not offensive?”

She ignored my question and continued on as if I hadn’t said anything at all. “To be honest, I feel really bad for Spencer.”

I narrowed my eyes.

“I mean not only did you mercilessly turn him down repeatedly, but then you turn around and date someone like Derek.” She said with a sympathetic shake of her head.

I felt my anger rising, and from my left Jenny put a comforting hand on my shoulder as she glared at Courtney. “Tone your bitch down several notches, Courtney. Derek’s a great guy.” She defended easily.

Courtney gave her a questioning look, her eyes going from Jenny, to me, to Chrissie, before finally resting on me again.

“Don’t get me wrong. You and Derek look great together and all.” She backpedalled. “I just didn’t think you were all that well-suited.” She shrugged. “Also when you had a guy like Spencer chasing after you…”

My lips tightened as I held in a scowl. “Spencer has nothing to do with me and Derek.” I told her flatly. Even if they are stepbrothers. In all the years I’d known Spencer I hadn’t spoken to him half as much as I did Derek in the past few weeks, and I also never felt nearly as comfortable with him.

She gave me a disbelieving look, but she didn’t say anything more on it.

And after a withering look from Chrissie neither did anyone else on the cheerleading squad.

Still by the time the lunch bell rang I felt as if I’d been asked a million times whether or not I was really dating Derek. It was exhausting – I was tempted just to pin a sign to my shirt saying:

‘YES I’M DATING DEREK REED’.

I let out a long sigh, glancing down at my phone to see if I had gotten another reply from Derek yet. We hadn’t had any lessons together today and he’d been busy in some meeting at break, so we hadn’t actually seen each other all day – we’d been sending texts back and fourth to each other instead.

I felt some of the tenseness leave my shoulders when I saw he’d messaged me back asking to meet up for lunch.

I more than eagerly agreed – it was what I had planned on doing anyway.

[Yes please! Somewhere off campus? – Willow]

I responded back to him.

Almost instantly my phone lit up with a return text.

[Agreed! Meet me at the school gates? – Derek]

I felt Jenny hovering over me as I sent back a reply. “Abandoning us?” She asked, in a fake hurt voice.

I grinned up at her. “Definitely.” I said not feeling even slightly guilty as I slid my phone into my pocket.

She let out a long sigh. “We really need boyfriends.” She said to Chrissie, who just rolled her eyes her.

Chrissie turned to me. “Have fun.” She said.

I grinned.

“But not too much fun.” Jenna said in a scolding tone.

I rolled my eyes. “Bye.” I told them, turning away only to hear Jenny saying something along the lines of ‘they grow up so fast’.

_ _ _

“Guess who.” I said wrapping my arms over Derek’s shoulder’s to drape my hands over his eyes. His glasses knocked lightly against the palms of my hands when he smiled.

“Hi, Willow.” He said turning around to face me. I didn’t move my arms from his shoulders, and instead let my hands link together behind the back of his head, keeping us close together.

My own lips pulled up into a grin. “Hey.” I greeted back happily.

I felt my grin widen when I saw the light blush on Derek’s cheeks. He smiled back at me.

I hadn’t realised how badly I had wanted to see him before he was right in front of me. I felt myself fully relaxing for the first time since coming to school this morning.

“Ready to go?” He asked.

“Almost.” I said quietly, stepping closer towards him for a proper hug. I buried my nose into his neck as he wrapped his arms around my waist. I released a small sigh.

Absentmindedly his thumbs rubbed soothing patterns into the base of my spine – as if instinctively knowing I needed it. I felt grateful for the small action. Tightening my grip slightly as let out a long breath before stepping back once again, letting my hands fall away.

“Alright I’m ready now.” I told him with a chipper grin.

He chuckled, and I caught his hand in my own stepping to his side as he led the way off the school grounds.

“Hectic day?” He asked.

“Yeah, you?”

He didn’t need to answer – his grimace was enough to let me know that his day probably hadn’t been much different from mine.

“Everyone’s acting so…”

“Nosey?” I suggested.

He laughed. “I was going to say different, but yeah.” He scrunched up his nose. “Usually people just ignore me, but today I was approached by a bunch of people asking me about you. It was…surreal.”

I ran my free hand through my hair. “Tell me about it.” I grimaced.

Derek gave me a sympathetic smile and squeezed my hand gently in his, as he looked down at me. I tilted my chin up towards him, catching a proper look at him.

 He was giving me a strange look. “What?” I asked him curiously.

He shook his head. “Nothing.” He murmured. His eyes went to the top of my head. “Your hair looks nice today.” He said.

I blinked up at him. “It does?” I asked in surprise, trying to remember if I had done something different to it this morning that I could repeat tomorrow but nothing was coming to mind.

“Yeah.” He said softly, reaching forwards to pick up a few strands between his fingers with his free hand. My eyes widened slightly – not used to Derek doing these kinds of things.

But I liked it a lot.

“Thanks.” I said with a small blush. Derek’s hand fell away from my hair, and I could see a mirroring blush on his face.

He cleared his throat awkwardly. “Wh-where do you want to eat?” He asked.

I shrugged my shoulders indecisively. “Anywhere.” I said, honestly not minding.

“Helpful.” He grinned.

“Where do you want to eat?” I asked.

He shrugged. “Anywhere.” He answered his lips twitching up into a smile.

“Helpful.” I scoffed, making him laugh.

Derek’s POV:

From across the table Willow was laughing as I cautiously dipped my chip in milkshake, my nose wrinkled slightly. I glanced up at her and she nodded her head encouragingly.

“It’s nice.” She promised when she saw my hesitancy.

I nodded my head taking a big bite. I nodded my head in slow approval as the taste hit me. “Strangely, not bad.” I admitted with surprise.

Willow’s smile grew. “What did I tell you?” She said happily. “Next time, waffles and peanut butter.”

I let out a laugh, shaking my head. “Anyone ever tell you that you have really weird taste.”

“Not often.” She said with a shrug. “My Uncle’s exactly the same, he’s the one who got me to try weird food combinations in the first place. I also like banana and mayonnaise sandwiches, ice-cream with bacon, and chocolate with pizza.”

“Those all sound horrible.” I told her honestly.

She didn’t look at all offended. “Don’t knock it until you try it.”

I pulled a face. “I don’t think you could pay me to eat half the things you just mentioned.”

“You’re such a girl.” She teased.

I knocked my foot chidingly into hers under the table. She kicked me lightly back before reaching across the table and nabbing one of my chips, dipping it in her own chocolate milkshake, with a wide satisfied grin on her face.

“Hey! No swiping!” I yelped tugging my plate away from her.

She snorted out a laugh. “Thanks Dora.”

I grinned back at her. “¡Cuidado!” I yelled out warningly, and whilst she gave me a confused look I dipped my finger in my milkshake and flicked a couple of droplets towards her.

She laughed loudly. “Gracias.” She said sarcastically, her lips still pulled up in a smile that undermined the disapproval in her voice.

“Alright, I’m out of Spanish words. What about you?”

She gave me a confident look. “¡Voy a llamar a la policia!” She said in a perfect accent.

I screwed up my face. “What does that mean?”

“I will call the police.” She translated. “I also know it in French and German. My Uncle thought it would be useful to know.”

I laughed. She leant forward, resting on her elbows, her hair falling over her shoulders at the action. “Your turn. Tell me something I don’t know about you.” She suggested eagerly.

I froze at being put on the spot. “Uhhh… I honestly can’t think of anything.” I said drawing a blank.

She smiled. “In that case give me your hand. The one you write with.”

“Why?” I asked her puzzled, but still doing as she asked letting her take my hand in hers.

“You’re left handed, that’s something I didn’t know.” She said gently, giving me a smile, before turning my hand so it faced the ceiling. Lightly with her right hand’s index finger she traced the deepest lines on my palm. “Hmmm… According to your hand – you’re a straight-forward, logical thinker.” She said glancing up at me through her lashes as I stared dumbfounded at her.

“You’re…reading my palm?” I asked sceptically.

“Mmmhmm.” She nodded, tracing her finger down my life-line. “You’re also passionate about life.” She traced another line. “You’ll like your job in the future.” She traced one more. “You’re also an openly loving person.” She said.

I shook my head. “You know palmistry?” I asked.

“Not a lot.” She admitted.

“Do you believe in it?” I asked.

She shook her head. “No, not really.” She said with a shrug. “But it’s a calming thought.”

“It is?”

“Yeah. I like to think that there’s someway to read life, and understand it a bit more. I could meet a person – read their palms, and know what kind of person they are, if their life is heading in the same direction as me.”

I raised an eyebrow. “Really? I kind of think the opposite. I like to think that there’s always a possibility for change. We choose the life we make.”

She grinned at me. “That’s a nice thought too.” She admitted, still smiling as she looked down at my hand, moving hers so that our palms were faced together.

 Her smile widened even more, her eyes lighting up as she looked at me.

“What?” I asked curiously.

“I just realised something.” She told me happily. I raised an eyebrow at her, waiting for her to continue. “This is kind of like a first date.” She said in a lower voice, her eyes dancing with humour.

I blinked at her. “…Yeah. I guess it is.” I agreed quietly suddenly feeling a little nervous.

She slowly entwined our fingers together.

“Derek…” She said in amusement.

“W-what?” I asked.

“I had fun on our first date.” She said softly, tilting her head up slightly so her hair fell away from her face, leaving her expression exposed for reading. “…Even if you did flick milkshake at me.” She finished.

I smiled. “Me too.” I agreed. “…Even if you do have bizarre food tastes.”

She laughed. “Just you wait. You’ll love everything I suggested.” She promised.

“Pizza and chocolate?” I asked sceptically.

“Give it time. The thought will grow on you.” She said, waving off my unconvinced attitude.

I tilted my head back in thought, before glancing back at her. If it was Willow asking I was sure it wouldn’t take much time or effort to convince me. “Yeah you’re probably right.” I told her nodding my head.

___

End chapter 19 x

Hey guys! Not a great chapter (I actually like the next one a bit more - becuase it's less to do with the idiots at their school - this one was mostly to show people's reaction to the ' Derek and Willow dating' news)

Next update shouldn't be too far off! Also Christmas and Coffee Shops next chapter will be up in an hour or two - MHNA SHOULD be up not too long after >.< I've written it for the most part but I have last mintue plans tomorrow which prevent me from staying up all night to finish like I was hoping *sigh* EITHER way it will be up SHORTLY!

Thanks you guys again!

STAY BEAULTIFUL - LikkleAngel

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

208K 11K 27
Frankie Petrovic is in over her head. Her one night stand is showing up all over the place, breaking into her trailer and offering her weird proposit...
1.6M 49.6K 9
"I told you Colton. I don't like bad boys." "All I need is seven days Janey, I can make you fall in love with me in a week." "And if you don't?" I as...
254K 10.2K 43
"You signed me up for what?" I shrieked at her. My best friend, who had volunteered me to test a new game that she wanted to make videos out of. A ga...
777K 25K 70
HIGHEST RANKINGS: #1 in teenagegirl #3 in anxiety Maddie Rossi is only 13, and has known nothing but pain and heartbreak her entire life. Only a shel...