FLIGHTLESS BIRD // Detroit Be...

By midnightXcross

Detroit: Become Human AU, where it is instead set in a high school. --- He flew past you. That was the best... More

Chapter 1: Falling Swan
Chapter 2: Finding Your Feet
Chapter 3: Secrets and Truths
Chapter 4: The Detective
Chapter 5: It's A Date
Chapter 6: Cupid Kara
Chapter 7: Fairy Godmother
Chapter 8: The Party
Chapter 9: Mystery
Chapter 10: Class Rep
Chapter 11: Friends and Strangers
Chapter 12: Dancing Through The Past
Chapter 14: Trouble
Chapter 15: Cain
Chapter 16: Fallen
Chapter 17: Matched
Chapter 18: Jericho
Chapter 19: Alarm
Chapter 20: Missing
Chapter 21: Conflicting Feelings
Chapter 22: Trapped
Author Note
Chapter 23: Mission
Chapter 24: Doubt
Chapter 25: Reasons To Smile
Chapter 26: Destruction
Chapter 27: Darkness
Chapter 28: Burning Feelings
Chapter 29: Water's Edge
Chapter 30: Pretenses
Chapter 31: Game Of Life
Chapter 32: Reason

Chapter 13: Searching For An Answer

749 37 69
By midnightXcross

Markus artwork by Yuki Wu

As another week passed, you knew you were in some serious trouble. You had not even been at this school for a term, and yet you had already fallen for two of the most popular guys. This was getting to be a major problem!

Even though your growing feelings were an issue in itself, Connor and Markus could not stop arguing every time they saw each other. Sometimes, it would simply be a dangerous glare, or it would escalate into a full blown argument. They never said anything especially cruel to each other, but the way they fought reminded you of siblings squabbling. And even though you were beginning to grow feelings for both Connor, and Markus, above all else, you just wanted them to learn to get along.

At your previous school, Eden high school, you were a little embarrassed to admit that you had been quite well known around the school. However, that popularity came with a price, and every now and then, an argument would break out. Now that you were finally out of that messy situation, you wanted nothing more than to spend your last school year in peace.

You were so lost in your thoughts, that you did not notice when Mr Andronikov spoke to you.

"[L/N]... Miss [L/N]..."

Connor gently touched your shoulder. "[F/N]."

You snapped up, and a few of the other students snickered.

"Does my class bore you [L/N]? If this is too easy for you, then perhaps you should be given extra work."

"S-Sorry sir, I was... umm..." You flushed as the other students laughed. Luckily, Mr Andronikov was very dedicated to his subject, and he turned his back on you, gesturing at the board. You didn't believe for a second that you would be off the hook, and knew that you would most likely have to stay after class.

As the teacher continued to discuss matters of genetic engineering, Connor leaned close to you, to whisper in your ear. You felt your face flush even more as Connor's warm breath tickled your cheek.

"What's wrong? You seem distracted."

You shook your head subtly, whispering, "I'm fine Connor. I'll tell you about it later."

Connor gave you a worried look, but he could say no more as the teacher turned to face the class again. You sighed inwardly, trying to stay focused. Matters of the past were still on your mind.

When class finally finished, you began to gather your text books. Just as you had anticipated, Mr Andronikov called you over, asking if you could stay after class. You gave Connor a sideways glance, as you rose to your feet and approached the teacher. Mr Andronikov was an intimidating looking man with a large beard, shaggy hair, and a bulging stomach. If he hadn't been a teacher, you could imagine that he would be the kind of person you could envision as a serial killer.

You clasped your arms around your textbooks, preparing for the lecturing you were likely about to receive. Before Mr Andronikov could say a word however, Markus entered the classroom, to your complete and utter surprise. He was not in this class. Had his class finished early... or had he been waiting for you?

"What is it Manfred?" Mr Andronikov asked, "If you don't mind, I just need a moment with Miss [L/N] here."

"I'm sorry sir, but Mr Anderson sent me. He said he needs to speak to [F/N]."

"This won't take a moment--"

"Apparently it was urgent. I shouldn't disobey a teacher..."

Markus trailed off, and gave a knowing gaze to Mr Andronikov. It seemed Markus had a strong influence over the teachers, and Mr Andronikov was clearly not impressed by that. Even still, he decided to dismiss you, telling you to keep up with your homework, and that he would be paying close attention to what you have to submit.

As you exited the classroom, you leaned closer to Markus to whisper to him. "What does Mr Anderson want?"

Markus gave you a small smile, replying just as quietly, "Nothing, I was just getting you out of detention."

You felt your face flush again, both in gratitude to Markus, and at the fact that the other students in the hallway were now staring at you. You looked around at them, but Connor was no where in sight. A strange sense of guilt washed over you at the thought of him catching you with Markus. But why would you feel guilty? Markus was now your friend too after all.

You continued to walk slowly up the hallway together, away from the science classroom, until you reached your locker. Markus stood beside you as you carefully put your books away, and you felt your neck prickle as he stared.

"So... um..." Markus seemed to be stealing himself to say something, before he blurted out, "Would you like to join me for lunch?" He glanced away again. "If you're not busy I mean..."

You closed your locker, turning to face him. You laughed at his suddenly embarrassed expression. "I would, but I already promised Kara that I would eat lunch with her. You're welcome to join us though... if you want."

Markus looked away, suddenly seeming nervous. "I don't think your friends like me very much."

You felt your face fall at his expression. "What do you mean?"

"You haven't noticed?" He paused, leaning closer to you, and you backed away, your back hitting the locker. He spoke in a low voice, so only you could hear. "People don't like me. I hear them talking sometimes, about how I am the teacher's lap dog." He tilted his head, taking in your expression. "I can get out of detention... I can convince a teacher to be on my side... but that only pushes everyone else away."

"It may seem like that, but that isn't always the truth," You replied, just as quietly, "People respect you a lot Markus. I think a lot of people admire you also."

Markus gazed at you with an odd look, opening his mouth to speak. Before he could, he was interrupted.

"[F/N]!" You heard a low male voice, then suddenly, Connor was by your side. He glared daggers at Markus, as he gripped your arm and moved you away from him. "What are you doing Markus?"

"I was only talking to [F/N]."

"I saw you and her leaving class..." Connor continued, not taking his eyes off Markus, "Where were you two going?"

"Actually, [F/N] was going to join me for lunch."

"No, [F/N] was going to join me for lunch."

You inwardly groaned as the two boys started their arguing once more. You had promised to see Kara for lunch, but it looked like that wasn't going to happen after all.

"Both of you, stop it," You said, exasperated, pushing them both apart. "You both need to stop all this arguing."

"If he weren't such a... a..." Connor growled, his words cutting off.

"Such a what- Anderson?" Markus baited. They glared at each other, both of them seemingly about to snap. You glanced around, noticing how the rest of the corridor had gone abruptly quiet, everyone staring at your group. You sighed, grabbing both of their hands, and tugging them along the corridor.

"W-Where are we going?" Connor asked, suddenly noticing your insistent tugging. Both boys allowed themselves to be pulled along by you.

"Somewhere quieter, where we can talk without being watched," You replied, continuing to drag them up the corridor, until you were at the back of the school. All the way, the boys glared at each other, on the brink of another fight. When you were finally at the back of the school, away from the watchful gaze of the other students, you turned on them.

"You guys have some explaining to do."

"Explaining?" Markus looked at you in surprise, "About what?"

"About why you both argue every time you look at each other." You looked from Markus, to Connor. "Can't you both just get over your differences?" Connor and Markus looked at each other, and for a moment, their expressions seemed to calm. You let out a sigh of relief. Then just as quickly, their expressions turned to a glare.

"Don't start!" You interrupted, and their gazes snapped to you. "You're both acting like... like... like children!! Stop arguing." Connor and Markus glanced at each other again, seemingly searching each others face. Then Connor snorted, causing Markus to chuckle. You smiled, for the first time, seeing some sense of comradery between them.

"Like children?" Connor laughed. "I guess he is like a child."

"The only one who's like a child here is you." Markus replied, also laughing. With a jolt, you realized that you were still holding their hands, and tugged out of their grip. At your sudden movement, the boys looked at you once again, they laughter quieting.

"So do you both promise to get along more from now on?"

Markus looked away, and Connor gave you a sheepish grin. "I can't get along with Markus [F/N]. He's my rival."

"Your rival?" You blinked back at him in surprise. "Rival in what?" Now it was Connor's turn to look away. They both remained quiet, and you sighed. "I just want some answers... why can't you just explain it to me?" Markus reached forward and ruffled your hair, causing Connor to make an annoyed noise at the back of his throat.

"It's not that easy... we've both known each other for a long time. There's some things that cannot be changed."

"Like what?"

"It doesn't matter [F/N]..." Connor interjected, taking your hand in his. "But I promise, I'll try not to argue with Markus so much. As long as he promises too." Connor glared sideways at Markus, and Markus chuckled, raising a hand.

"If it's what [F/N] wants, then I'll do my best."

"Good." You smiled. Suddenly, you were deeply aware that both Markus and Connor still had their hands on you. Connor gripped your hand tighter, and Markus stroked your hair behind your ear. You felt your cheeks flush once again, wondering what others would think if they saw you all together like this. But... a part of you didn't mind.

Markus suddenly pulled his hand away, pulling his phone out to check the time, sighing slightly. "I have to go. I have a student council meeting today." Markus looked up, frowning slightly at Connor. "I'm leaving her in your care Anderson. Treat her well." Markus gave you a warm smile, before turning and striding away. Connor watched him, until he was out of sight.

"Prick..." He muttered, then flushed when he noticed you staring. "Sorry..." He pulled his hand away to rub the back of his neck. "I can't help it."

"Why do you dislike Markus so much?" You asked, "He's not actually such a bad person..."

"I know that... it's just... when I'm around him." Connor hesitated, trying to find the right words. "He gets on my nerves."

"But why?"

"He always acts so high and mighty," He continued, "He always gets what he wants, without even having to try. Good grades, acceptance of teachers, respect from everyone else. He's in an entirely different league from all of us, and he knows it."

You frowned at Connor. You wondered what he would think if he knew the truth about Markus. About how he used to be an orphan, just barely scraping by.

"Then why does Markus argue to you too?"

Connor looked down sheepishly. "Maybe it's my fault... I don't know..." He glanced away, straightening his tie absent mindedly. "When I see him I just... I feel..." He trailed off, and you put a hand on his shoulder.

"It's okay. You don't need to explain it. I just... I just want you both to not argue anymore, okay?"

Connor smiled. "I'll try not to start anything... As long as Markus doesn't either." You both stood gazing at each other for a moment. The tension in the air was palpable, and you felt yourself drawing closer to him. Just as it seemed like you were about to kiss, your stomach growled. You pulled back, your face turning red, causing Connor to laugh.

"I guess it is lunch time... want to get something?" He held out his hand to you, and you smiled, taking it in yours.

"Sounds good."

As you both walked together down the hallway, you tried to ignore the stares of the other students. Instead, your mind wandered to Connor and Markus. Connor walked ahead, pushing his way through the crowd. You followed him, thinking about what the two boys said before.

Connor seemed to dislike Markus because of Markus' status. He disliked Markus because Markus was accepted by the teachers, and able to get good test scores. Just like Cain...

Could it be that Connor was jealous?

And what about Markus? Markus himself had never known his parents, and always strived to be accepted, by Carl, by Leo, by his teachers. And even now, people still thought he was too far above them.

You came to a sudden realization in that moment. Connor wanted to be accepted and respected as Markus was. Markus wanted to be popular and liked in the way that Connor was. They both wanted what the other person had. And that's why they did not like each other.

"[F/N]?" Connor suddenly asked, and you blinked, coming out of your daze. "You're spacing out."

You smiled, looking up at him. When Connor looked at Markus... did he see Cain? Or did he see an entirely different enemy? Was Markus his rival in getting the acceptance that Connor wanted?

"Sorry... I got distracted," You replied. Connor laughed, taking your hand and leading you through the crowd. As you stared at his back, a single question rose in your mind.

Why couldn't Connor and Markus see that what they wanted was already with them?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.6K 377 7
"Hello Father."| |This is a short story focused on a girl who returns home to her father, an artist who has grown too old to support himself. An Andr...
151K 9.7K 37
❝Who even needs to rule the world when you can just learn to deceive it?❞ [Cyberpunk AU] In which Connor kills himself to prevent Amanda from stoppin...
19.1K 599 8
[ C ᴏ ᴍ ᴘ ʟ ᴇ α΄› ᴇ α΄… βœ” ] Connor X Reader cringe. Bad ending in my opinion πŸ₯²πŸ©΅ ─── ο½₯ ο½‘οΎŸβ˜†: *.☽ .* :β˜†οΎŸ. ─── Everyone has a voice. Everyone has a...
194K 9.1K 18
You had just witnessed a murder - was it a murder? Nothing could make you forget the fear you saw in the eyes of what you thought was just a machine...