Never Forgotten- When love is...

By Midnightforever

This story begins in the historical world of the 'Tudors'. King Henry has proceeded to move on with his third... More

never forgotten - chapter one
never forgotten - chapter three
never forgotten - chapter four
Never Forgotten- chapter five
never forgotten- chapter six
never forgotten- chapter seven
never forgotten- chapter eight
never forgotten- chapter nine
never forgotten- chapter ten
never forgotten- chapter eleven
never forgotten- chapter twelve
never forgotten- chapter thirteen
Never Forgotten - Prologue

never forgotten - chapter two

423 5 0
By Midnightforever

Chapter two

When I awoke the next morning, my eyes were stinging from the bright sunlight streaming in through the small window in my little chamber. I stretched and yawned as I slipped on my morning gown around my shoulders. My dress from last night was still draped over my chair. I went to look outside of my window and to my suprise, the man that I danced with was there. Silly me, thinking that the magical moment in the hall last night was a dream and yet there he was, outside in the gardens. As I peered at him closer, I saw he had a hawk on his arm. By the looks of it, he was teaching it to swoop up to the nearest tree and come back to him from his signal. I decided that this might be the morning to be acquainted with such a fine gentleman without the unwanted aid of my sister.

I washed and changed quickly and within a few minutes, I was quickly walking down the stairs, being careful not to trip over the long back of my day dress. Nobody else was awake at this time of morning so I decided that I would arrive back just in time for breakfast. As I took a shortcut through the parlour, I edged through the small back door and into the gardens. I could still hear the man whistling so I followed his voice until I was standing behind a small thicket, watching him. He must have heard me because he turned his head and smiled warmly. He beckoned with his free hand and I willingly came to him.

His smile widened, "I see the young Elizabeth is interested in my company".

I blushed and replied, "Well, yes, I would like to be acquainted with you. I also do sincerely apologise about last night, I am quite a shy person. However, since you already know my name, may I ask what yours is?"

The man nodded, "I am Frederick, royal hawk trainer and courtier". Frederick seemed proud as he announced this and I could see why. "And yes my lady, it is quite alright. I also have a tendency to be shy". At this statement, we both blushed and looked away. I then found the couraget to move onto anotehr subject.

"That is a fine hawk you have there Frederick. What name does it have?"

"She is called Ashlerey, named after my mother Lady Ashlerey". I gazed at Ashlerey fondly, Frederick noticed and offered her to me,"Would you like to help train her?"

I looked at him in slight fright, "Are you sure? She won't bite will she?"

"Certainly, I'll help you, don't worry". I accepted his help and lifted my arm out feebly. Frederick carried the hawk over to my arm and the hawk stepped onto me proudly . Ashlerey was rather delicate for a bird of power and I felt powerful myself holding something so genuine.  I felt Frederick's hand touch my arm to help Ashlerey stay on and I pulled away quickly. Ashlerey flew off and landed in a tree whilst I gathered myself.

Frederick looked at me strangely, "Whatever is the matter?"

"Your hand" I replied with a confused voice. "It is so...so...cold. Are you ok, you're not sick are you? I can call for matron" Frederick turned away and lowered his head.

Turning back to me, he exclaimed "but it is a cold morning, is it not?".

 I lifted my hands up into the air, feeling the breeze. It was not cool one bit.

"It's actually very warm, it's summer air" I retorted.

"Well then I probably just have cold blood" Frederick smiled politely at me.

"I have never heard of such a thing in a human" I remarked, not realising how rude I sounded.

Frederick looked uncomfortable, so I backed away slowly preparing to move towards the kitchens for breakfast  when I felt his cool hand take mine. This time, I did not pull away. Frederick pulled me back to him and looked me in the eyes. "Elizabeth, I know it is forbidden by the king and queen, but may I see you tonight here in the gardens, please?"

I didn't know how to respond to this but I knew it would be worth it. I began to ponder slowly about what this really meant. He was the most handsomest and nicest man around court- where was my sense of adventure? It seemed a lost cause. I summoned myself to be brave and rebel. "I may see you, yes" I replied shortly.

"All right" he answered, then not letting go of my hand, Frederick kissed it so gently then turned to walk away to find Ashlerey. I could still feel the imprint of his lips on my hand and as I was thinking this, I caught myself stroking my hand fondly, smiling. I could hear chatter beginning in the palace so I hurried back to the chambers, not letting go of my smile.

The day passed with not much excitement. Most of the day was spent in my chamber, reading books and gazing out of the window daydreaming. Jane however did not take any notice of my behaviour as she knew that I could be excitable one minute and quiet the next.  Before I knew it, it was midnight. I crept quietly out of my room and to the door of the queens chambers, listening for any people still awake. I could hear the deep breathing of sleep and most of all quiet so I walked calmly back to my room and pulled my shawl on. I lit a candle and took it with me. I retraced my steps from the morning, out into the gardens but I couldn't see Frederick anywhere until I heard someone whisper my name. I peeked around the hedges to see Frederick leaning against the small gazebo, holding a candle. In the gazebo, I could see a picnic laid out with a glass of wine for each of us and some bread, jam and grapes. I found myself being drawn into the serenity of the area laid out before me.

Frederick smiled that dazzling smile, "You like it?"

"I love it, it's so beautiful, thankyou Frederick!" I couldn't help but gush, then I realized I was exaggerating a little too much. Frederick took my hand and led me up the gazebo steps and offered for me to sit down and join him in the mini feast. We ate the bread and jam first and drunk a little wine each, all of this in silence. Then he was the first to speak.

"So Elizabeth. We are here, eating and drinking in eachother's company. But I hardly know you. Tell me more about yourself".

"Well", I began "I love painting, dress making, watching clouds..." I began to babble, telling him everything about what I did from day to day to what I dreamed about doing in the future. . "And" I finally exclaimed. "I...I..think I love hawk training". . The whole time through my speech, Frederick had remained silent whilst listening to me the whole time. He laughed at my last statement.

"Well then I suppose it's my turn to talk yes?" I nodded and shuffled closer, preparing to listen. "Hmm, I like to stroll in the gardens ever since I was employed here. The King sent for me himself you know" he mentioned proudly, "and I've loved it ever since I arrived here. Most people would think the king selfish and greedy or even aa murderer after the execution of Anne Boleyn- but he's really not. He seems so welcoming and kind, he treats his servants with respect. That is what I am most happy about". I nodded in agreement and beckoned for him to carry on.

"I also enjoy picnics at midnight as you can see. I do come down here often to watch the stars...it gives me some kind of hope that I can travel the seas in the future. I would love to journey all over the world and see the wonders. Quite similar to yourself really". At this, we both smiled.

Frederick proceeded to take my hand and turn my head so I could look him in the eyes.

"I know I love hawk training Elizabeth. But today was the best day for hawk training" Frederick whispered to me. "There's a reason too".

I smiled gently, "There is?"

 Frederick leaned in closer. Gently cupping my face in both hands, he whispered, "Because you were there". Then tenderly and ever so slowly, he kissed me. I had never been kissed by someone before and as soon as Frederick's lips touched mine, I knew that this was the man of my dreams. One that even though I didn't know much about him, he was already mine. We had won eachother's affection.

Frederick pulled away gently after a minute and gazed back into my eyes. "I love you Elizabeth" he whispered. I could feel my cheeks rising.

"But Frederick, I hardly know you, we only met the other day". Frederick looked down then looked back into my eyes again.

 "Elizabeth, I have always known you. I see you all the time at the palace. And now, I know this feeling. This is love Elizabeth, we were destined together. You may think I am being foolish but I am right. This is love, and you hold my heart". To this exclamation, I could hardly breathe.

"Frederick, let me be clear with you. I like you very much but I do not love you as of now. Please be patient with my delicate heart." I whispered and as soon as those words had left my lips, we kissed again. "I shall be patient...only for you" Frederick whispered in my ear. The moon and the stars whirled around me and I wished for this moment to stay where it was, as a memory in my heart.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

55.1M 1.8M 66
Henley agrees to pretend to date millionaire Bennett Calloway for a fee, falling in love as she wonders - how is he involved in her brother's false c...
7.2M 302K 38
~ AVAILABLE ON AMAZON: https://www.amazon.com/dp/164434193X ~ She hated riding the subway. It was cramped, smelled, and the seats were extremely unc...
22.5M 792K 69
"The Hacker and the Mob Boss" ❦ Reyna Fields seems to be an ordinary girl with her thick-framed glasses, baggy clothes, hair always up in a ponytail...
Erica By Sam

Historical Fiction

2.7M 150K 89
They say her voice was once bewitching to all who heard it. She was like a siren luring sailors to their deaths on quiet nights... Those are just rum...