never forgotten- chapter seven

Chapter seven

I watched from the grounds as the sun began to lower into the ochre and pink sky. The colours of the garden around me started to cast shadows as the sky got darker and darker until finally, the sun was gone and a faint hint of the moon glinted through. I knew that Frederick was resting by the fire so I went into the lounge hall and sat opposite him, my favourite poem book in my lap. Just as I was about to start reading it, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Frederick was staring at me. I looked up at him with a questioning expression.

"What did I do to marry a girl such as yourself?" he whispered. I gazed at him for a moment thoughtfully then went and sat down on his lap. He held me close and played with my hair whilst I leant against him. After a few moments silence, I whispered to him gently,

"Frederick, do you really and truly love me?"

At this, Frederick froze and turned me around to face him.

"Love you?" he asked in shock. "Elizabeth, I could not live without you. You are completley and utterly the love of my eternity. You should know that or at least understand that slightly". At this statement, it was my usual cue to blush but no blush came. All I could do was stare deeper and deeper into Frederick's eyes as I leant over to kiss him. A few minutes later, we were wrapped in one another's arms in the beautiful chamber bed, watching the moon as it's shadows came and went. Frederick was gently stroking my cheek as I rested, nuzzling into his shoulder sleepily. Frederick turned my chin to look at him.

"I love you...so much".

I gazed at him quietly and replied. "I love you too". As soon as these words had left my mouth, he wrapped me up tighter into his arms and kissed me more romantically than he ever had before.

The days with Frederick came and went as life passed by and soon enough one whole month had whipped past us like a feather on a breeze. It was a normal, beautiful day in Autumn like any other, until changes began to take place.

Frederick and I were in the library, him reading atlases about the countries of the world and me writing poems in my small log book. We had been in there most of the morning when all of a sudden, my stomach lurched and I knew I must call out for my ladies-in-waiting. Frederick noticed that I looked ill so he quickly called in the ladies. They rushed in with a small bowl and I was immediately sick into the bowl, Frederick holding my hand the whole time. After I had finished, Ruth pressed her hand against my forehead and Claudia went to call the local physician. Frederick was as pale as I was as he lay me down on our bed. He placed a bowl next to me silently and pushed the small strands of hair away from my face. 

"I'm worried" he whispered shakily as I reached out for his hand.

"Don't be" I replied sickly. "It is probably only a passing fever, I will be fine I promise". Frederick grimaced slightly and patted my hand.

"I'll call in Claudia to attend to you" he said lovingly. Frederick left the room and soon enough, Claudia entered with the physician.

"She was very sick and she seemed quite hot so I thought it would be suitable to call you sir" Claudia was uttering to the man, wringing her hands. I looked up at the man who would be examining me. He had a friendly smile and was balding a little on top of his head. He had a short grey beard and stroked it thoughtfully as he peered down at me. In his hand was a large, black bag.

"Why hello there my lady" he exclaimed happily. "What seems to be the matter today?"

"I...sick..excuse me please" I murmured as I was once again sick into the bowl. Claudia turned away, trying to hide her look of disgust but the doctor kindly held my hair back and washed the bowl out for me when I had finished. I felt so dreadful and sick that I began to cry and shake. 

"There now" the doctor sympathised patting my hand. "I can help you, my name is doctor Sherman although you can call me just Sherman if you would like to. Now, Claudia, I will talk to the young lady privately if you would be so kind". Claudia curtsied and hurried out of the room, closing the door gently behind her.

As soon as she had left, Dr Sherman turned to me with a solemn look.

"So my Lady, may I ask when was the last time you had to use linen for your blood?" I thought carefully, I could not remember.

"Well, I really don't remember, it seemed that long ago. I believe I missed some blood perhaps". Doctor Sherman looked up suddenly interested. 

"Tell me more about how you are feeling right now".

I gave a small sigh and turned to face him directly. "I feel very tired. Very very tired indeed. I am hungry but I know there is no point in eating right now and I feel very weak, like I haven't rested in days".

Doctor Sherman smiled and I watched him attentively. He put down his bag and took my hand again. 

"Dear Elizabeth, I have news. It seems you are indeed expecting a child. You may call me when it is due but may I offer my congratulations". 

My mouth hung open as if I had no jaw. My breath came in short gasps as I clutched at my stomach and felt it. How was it possible that I had a small baby inside of my own body? How would Frederick react? Then I remembered that he was a vampire and had good hearing. He would have heard the whole conversation. I smiled when I realised that I was right. Frederick entered with a slight smile on his face. He leant down next to the bed and put his hand on my stomach. 

"Elizabeth...this is...our child...and...I...I... love you and we'll go through this togeth..." I put my finger to his lips and hushed him. This moment was in no need of words. None at all. This was a new beginning, for both of us. No matter how sudden it seemed.