Luminescence

By hazyshadow

A dystopian romance in which two superhumans from light and dark fall in love. __ [BOOK IS COMPLETE BUT CURRE... More

Introduction.
One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five.
Six.
Seven.
Nine.
Ten.
Eleven.
Twelve.
Thirteen.
Fourteen.
Fifteen.
Sixteen.
Seventeen.
Eighteen.
Nineteen.
Twenty.
Twenty-one.
Twenty-two.
Twenty-three.
Twenty-four.
Twenty-five.
Twenty-six.
Twenty-seven.
Twenty-Eight.
Twenty-nine.
Thirty.
Thirty-one.
Thirty-two.
Thirty-three.
Thirty-four.
Thirty-five.
Thirty-six.
Thirty-seven.
Thirty-eight.
Thirty-nine.
Fourty.
Fourty-one.
Fourty-two.
Forty-three.
Forty-four.
Forty-five.
Author's Note

Eight.

2.9K 121 39
By hazyshadow

"Try harder!"

Priscilla's voice echoed off of the walls of the training room as I struggled to keep up. Beads of sweat were falling down my forehead and onto my tank top. I was literally a river.

Wes and Priscilla had both begun to train me as of an hour ago. Their methods was relentless. From the first minute they hit the timer, I was already running on the treadmill. As I ran timed miles, the results were stunning. I came short of just five minutes or less. I was nonetheless stunned at my endurance. Around the junkyard there weren't treadmills. We never ran either. How my body was in such good shape was beyond me. Was endurance one of the perks that came with being a mutant?

Right now I was on one of the final stages of training for the day. Wes had initiated a hologram training program, where holographic images of guards would attack whoever stood in their vicinity. They couldn't hurt me, since they were holograms obviously, but I could hurt them. I was hurting physically from the amount of energy I was exerting.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't defeat the holograms. I could easily punch and kick at them weakly, but I couldn't seem to tap into that inner kung fu ability I had used on the rooftop that other night.

"Focus, child. Find the inner strength within to fight these demons around you," Priscilla urges to me as my fist misses a face of one of the guards. That only resulted in the guard taking me out with a kick, and tiredly I got back up.

The program resets itself again. "I can't do it, Priscilla! How am I supposed to do this with no previous combat experience?" I question angrily as my frustration was getting the best of me.

"Saying 'I can't do it' will only make you want to give up more. Again!" Priscilla shouts encouragingly. I groan as three more guards from each side of me all throw themselves at me at once. I quickly roll to the side, avoiding getting crushed by massive holograms that were at least two feet taller than me.

The three holograms then began to circle me again, all in a crouched position like a football player getting ready to tackle the skinny quarterback. One approaches and they punch at me, which I easily dodge. But out of nowhere, one comes from behind and grabs my neck and puts me into a chokehold. The simulation then turned off for the millionth time in an hour, signaling I had lost.

"Again!" Priscilla shouts. "Mara, I'm right here behind you. I want you to succeed and I want you to be the best fighter out there. But those desires can't come from me. You have to dig down and find them deep within you somewhere. You can do it."

I weakly smile, admiring her for not giving up hope on me. The holograms appear for round 62, and I felt readier than ever. Knowing that Priscilla believed in me made it the worth while.

Wes sighs. "I'm going back to the barracks. I have a meeting in an hour, and I need to get ready." He shrugs and watches for a few seconds more before cascading down the steps of the training room.

I may have been mad before, but now I could've sworn I saw steam coming from my own ears. Wes was supposed to be training me. Shouldn't he at least have a bit more faith in me than anyone else? He could even be giving me tips, but no. Have fun with Barbara at your next board meeting, Wes. I'm sure you'll absolutely love it.

As the shrill bell sounded through my ears once more, I narrow my eyes. Some kind of skill—determination or confidence, suddenly emerged from the darkness. I wanted to prove to Wes that I was worth his while, and not some clumsy mutant who didn't know how to fight.

The first hologram swings, and like the other times I easily dodged it. Except this time, everything was different.

I saw its punch in slow motion.

Oh yeah. Things were about to get wild in the training center.

Using the newfound strength and sight from inside me, I grabbed the guard's arm that was still extended from the punch, and pulled him over me and slamming him into the wall of the room.

Priscilla's eyes widened. She knew I had just found my inner strength. The smirk on my face said it all. Even Wes who had one foot out of the door turned around from the loud sound in shock. He was now interested, finally, after a bit of convincing.

I then sensed that the other two guards were making a move from behind me. Deciding to be risky, I face Wes' position turning my back on two of the holograms and pierce my gaze on him.

As soon as the guards were in kicking distance, I did a backwards somersault between the two guards' position, and punched them right in their jewels— the weakest spot located on a man. Both of them toppled over from the sheer amount of force I used on the 'ball punch.'

The only thing that could be heard were my heavy pants, and Priscilla's loud and proud cheering coming from the corner. I couldn't help but laugh, she was like a proud mom watching her five year-old play soccer in the little leagues all over again.

"That was amazing!" She sing-shouts as she slowly runs over to give me a hug. Wes, who was watching from the corner decides to applause me, congratulating me on defeating the enemies.

Wes smiles. "Great. Now turn the enemy level up to four," he challenges. And boy, I was ready.

Priscilla begins to press a few buttons, and this time the guards looked much bulkier than before. I blocked off all fearful commentary from my negative side, and began to focus on the main task—which was fighting these four holograms.

I balled up my fists, getting ready to strike. But instead of waiting for the guards to come at me, this time I advanced first.

I noticed the first guard had its legs open too far wide, with just enough room for me to slide through. Using that to my advantage I roll in between the legs, and popping up behind the guard surprising him unexpectedly. I kick at the back of his kneecap, making him lose balance in his stance. I finished him off by giving him an elbow in the back of his neck as he fell, delivering a painful blow to his body.

The second guard must've been glitching, because it was skinnier unlike any of the burlier men standing around me. It wasn't even in attack mode, nor did it have armor. One strong punch to the face and he would be out cold.

I attempted to do just that, channeling a massive amount of energy in me and sending a lethal blow to his face. As a last minute defense attempt by the guard, he holds out his fist to try and block the punch, but the power of my swing was too much for him to handle. His light body was sent hurling back from the impact, and with steady eyes I was onto number three.

Three had a good, burly physique. But it was short in height which meant one thing. Weaker balance.

Delivering a kick to his stomach, he toppled backwards, but not enough for my liking. He approached me once more trying out some fake punches to confuse me, yet I kept my stance. I put my arms up in a small body shield like boxers would do in their matches. With quick punches he manages to hit my arms three times, but not before I took out his head with a massive blow. I almost laughed at it. Too easy.

Number four was apparently a feisty one, because he didn't wait for me to make a move. With massive steps he was set on one thing; breaking my streak.

With his massive fists, he tries an uppercut punch, just barely missing my face as I move my head just in time. But what I didn't see coming was his leg swinging straight towards my face. Taking the blow but not feeling any pain, I was now laying flat on the ground below his raised leg. With my strong grip I grab onto his foot that hadn't hit the ground yet, making the guard lose balance. Swinging him around, I used my strength sending him flying into the air.

In slow motion, I use my jump abilities to push myself from off the ground at least seven feet into the air where the guard was currently half knocked out, then punched him directly on his stomach, sending him at a rapid pace towards the ground.

And on top of all that? I performed a freaking superhero landing.

I then heard cheers erupt from all around me. Stunned, I saw dozens of soldiers that had somehow congregated into the room during my training. People of all ages shouted and complimented me on my brave moves, giving me a sense of warmth on the inside.

I look over to Priscilla who has a look on her face that read, 'You deserve it, girl,' and Wes who was nodding in approval.

"Winters," Wes announces silencing the crowd with his arms, walking over to my position in the middle of the room. "You are going to make a damn fine addition to this team. From the bottom of our hearts, we welcome you." And with no hesitation the crowd began to cheer again. People of all aged stood there in support.

My eyes then flickered to an ominous shadow in the corner. The man in the black and red mask had returned in my head momentarily, with his eyes trained on me. The smile slowly faltered from my face as I watched Hudson walk through the middle of the soldiers who were like ghosts to him. But before he could reach me, his head turned momentarily and he vanished in a snap.

My heart was beating erratically out of my chest as the sounds of Wes dismissing the group diminished, and Priscilla seemed to notice as she rushed over to my aid. None of the soldiers noticed, for they were too interested in leaving the room.

"Mara," Priscilla exclaims urgently. "Is everything alright? You look like you just saw a ghost!" She presses her hand to my sweaty forehead, feeling for a temperature. I nod my head signaling I was fine.

I did just see a ghost. And I've been seeing that same damn ghost in my head for three days now. And by the looks of it, he wasn't going to leave anytime soon.

When was I going to tell Priscilla about Hudson?

________

Thanks for reading guys! More Mara and Hudson action coming soon, I promise😼

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

185 76 32
Maxine is an 18-year-old girl who is bored and lonely, living in California in the year 2351. She's always been fascinated with how humans used to li...
1.4K 165 44
[COMPLETED] A hacker and a military commander caught in a bloody civil war, join forces to find a vigilante terrorist who holds special powers but no...
23.8K 448 28
Given a second chance at life, Sirius Black is sent into hiding by the Order yet again -- this time in the Muggle world to heal from the scars of his...
1.3K 65 26
(This novel is under revision as of 2-5-19 up until I feel the true motivation to scrub through most of my older work. Also this summary is something...