You&Me: Book 4

By varzanic

Saigon returns to Northern Ridge with mixed feelings. He can't seem to get Archer off of his mind. The moment... More

Chapter 1: Heading Home (Saigon)
Chapter 2: Old Friends (Saigon)
Chapter 3: Family Outing (Saigon)
Chapter 5: Chocolate (Archer)
Chapter 6: The Hunt (Saigon)
Chapter 7: Patrol (Saigon)
Chapter 8: Rich and Shiny (Saigon)
Chapter 9: A Night Out (Archer)
Chapter 10: Sensitivity (Archer)
Chapter 11: Not Interested (Saigon)
Chapter 12: Cricket (Saigon)
Chapter 13: Secrets (Archer)
Chapter 14: Rivalry (Archer)
Chapter 15: Glass Shards (Archer)
Chapter 16: Father's Intervention (Archer)
Chapter 17: Bad Decision (Archer)
Chapter 18: Base Acid (Saigon)
Chapter 19: The Next Beta (Archer)
Chapter 20: Disapprove (Saigon)
Chapter 21: Shouldn't Have (Saigon)
Chapter 22: Relationship Sorrows (Saigon)
Chapter 23: Calculated (Saigon)
Chapter 24: Distraught Visitor (Saigon)
Chapter 25: A Second Mate (Archer)
Chapter 26: Such an Ass (Archer)
Chapter 27: A Messy Situation(Archer)
Chapter 28: Shopping (Saigon)
Chapter 29: Movie Night (Archer)
Chapter 30: Moon Drunk (Saigon)
Chapter 31: Fighting Drunken Rogues (Saigon)
Chapter 32: Curse (Archer)
Chapter 33: Advice (Archer)
Chapter 34: Human Holidays (Archer)
Chapter 35: Karen (Archer)
Chapter 36: Cake (Saigon)
Chapter 37: In-Laws (Saigon)
Chapter 38: Panic Attack (Archer)
Chapter 39: Pie (Archer)
Chapter 40: Family Secret (Saigon)
Chapter 41: Egg Casserole (Archer)
Chapter 42: Happy Tears (Archer)
Chapter 43: Rings (Saigon)
Chapter 44: Switch (Archer)
Chapter 45: Bad Reputation (Saigon)
Chapter 46: Boats (Archer)
Chapter 47: A Show (Saigon)
Chapter 48: Happiness (Saigon)
Chapter 49: The Ultimate Present (Archer)
Chapter 50: Love Me (Archer)
Chapter 51: Official Member (Saigon)
Chapter 52: Honeymoon Period
Chapter 53: Mate-Bonding (Archer)
Chapter 54: Sickness (Saigon)
Chapter 55: Open the Door (Archer)
Chapter 56: Nothing (Archer)
Chapter 57: Spray Down (Archer)
Chapter 58: Root Beer (Archer)
Chapter 59: The Train (Archer)
Chapter 60: Let Go Home
Chapter 61: Avalanche (Archer)
Chapter 62: Runaway (Saigon)
Chapter 63: My Way Home (Archer)
Chapter 64: Mating Trial (Archer)
Chapter 65: Marked (Archer)
Chapter 66: Panic Scars (Archer)
Chapter 67: Conversation (Saigon)
Chapter 68: Back Home (Archer)

Chapter 4: Competition (Saigon)

4.3K 279 30
By varzanic

I stepped into the cave and was attacked by a white blur.

"Saigon, you're here," said Raven. "Where have you been?"

"We went on a family outing." I waved my arm toward my parents.

He shifted his weight from side to side. "Guess what?"

"I know what." I laughed, pointing at the new scar. "You and Jagger are mates. Congratulations."

Raven clasped the mark. "It's still kind of surreal."

"I've never seen you happier, though."

A blush formed under his fur. "Yeah, um... I'm happy you're home. My dad said you'll be staying here until school starts."

I nodded. "That's the plan. I have to take a trip to Bloodhound for a week or so." My eyes flicked over to my dad.

Raven smiled. "He has a bit of Aunt Karen in him."

"A lot." I gave him a side hug. "I'm happy for you. It couldn't have turned out better."

The sub nodded. "That's what everyone has been saying. That my bloodline and Jagger's will become one and the alpha line can continue that way. I think everyone is being a bit more supportive of Jagger now."

"They weren't before?"

Raven shrugged. "Jagger isn't Northern Ridge born so the pack was being hard on him because he'll most likely be the next alpha."

"He might have not been born but he was raised a Northern Ridge werewolf. That's enough for me."

My cousin grinned to himself. "I hope you're his beta. I think you two would do a great job leading the pack."

I shrugged. "Only time will tell."

"Raven," called my dad. "Raven, get over here and give me a hug." He held out his arms. "I just heard the news. My mom is going to be so excited when I tell her." Aden squeezed the white werewolf tightly.

They walked off to were Jagger was standing with Darius. I took it as my chance to leave. I wanted to get some sleep before I had to start getting up early for the hunting party or patrol. I was trying to convince myself that it would be similar to early morning soccer practice. We weren't trying to kill something during soccer practice, though.

Arriving at my room, I flopped into the pit of furs and took a deep breath. This was a scent I missed. My grandmother didn't understand it but I'd loved the smell. It reminded me of home and the pack. I had a lot of long nights and tiring days ahead of me but I was going to enjoy every bit of it before heading back to the human world.

***

"Slacking already?"

I lifted my head while rubbing my eyes. "What? What time is it?" I search the room.

Archer was standing in the doorway. "Your parents sent me to get you. They're in the alpha's cave. I think Darius wants to talk to you."

I groaned. I didn't want to talk to him. "Thanks. I'll go see what he wants." I ran a hand down my muzzle.

"You're never going to make it if a picnic wears you out."

I threw a pillow at him. "Shut up. I was enjoying a nap in the woods. It's been a while."

Archer laughed. "Sure. Hey, once you're done, come by the hot pools. I'm meeting up with some of the guys and I'm sure they'll want to see you again."

"Hmm... I don't know I might be too tired."

"God, you're so dramatic." Archer rolled his eyes. "Once Darius is finished with you, take your lazy ass to the hot pools. Got it?" He left and headed down the hall.

Letting out a deep breath, I smiled to myself. He was sexier than I remembered. Climbing to my feet, I trudged into the hall and headed for my uncle's cave. I wasn't looking forward to hearing about my long list of new responsibilities but it came with the rank. I'd do whatever I could to help the pack. Voices were coming from the room up ahead. My dad's stood out along with Storm. Raven was probably being doted on. Then again, the sub was always being doted on.

I glanced around the corner to see my family sitting around in a circle. It was bad enough that I was going to be getting the responsibility talk from the alpha but I was sure my father would offer his advice as well.

Clearing my throat, I stepped inside. "Hey, Archer told me you wanted to talk."

"Saigon," said my aunt. "Look how you've grown."

I went and sat beside her. "You say that every time you see me."

"Well, you keep growing." Storm patted my leg. "We're happy to have you back."

"Congrats," I said to Jagger, who was sitting across from me with his arm around Raven.

"Thanks," he replied.

Raven was beaming.

"I'm putting you on the hunting party. You'll also go into the patrol rotation," said Darius.

I took a deep breath. "Sounds good."

"You'll be expected to slowly start taking on more of a leadership role—"

I braced myself for it.

"—since I'm fairly certain you're going to be taking over your old man's rank." He gripped his brother's neck and gave it a squeeze.

"Old," scoffed my father. "You're older than me."

"You never know," I replied. "There are some other dominants in the pack who are capable."

Darius eyed me. "Don't start. Between you and Jagger, I'm tired of everyone doubting my judgment."

Jagger shifted in his seat.

"I wasn't doubting. I'd rather be safe than sorry. That's all."

The alpha shook his head. "You're spending too much time with humans."

My dad scowled at him. "You sound like Xavier. Cranky and bitter."

"I do not."

Arching a brow, my dad didn't back down. "He would have said the same thing."

The alpha gave him an unimpressed look. "Coming from the pack princess."

My dad's fur bristled. "Do not call me that."

"Why? Nothing's changed." Darius dodged the random book that came flying at him. "Damn it, Aden."

My cousin jumped up and went to get it.

"Sorry, Raven." My dad kept his eyes fixed on Darius.

"You should apologize to me. You could have blooded my nose." The alpha frowned.

"Matches your fur." He stood. "I brought gifts from my mother."

Raven hurried after him with the book pressed to his chest. "What kind?"

Storm went to see as well.

"Chocolate," muttered Titus.

"Really?" My ears perked up. I wanted some.

"How can you eat that?" said Darius.

I shrugged. "I got a lot of human in me, I guess."

The men grumbled in agreement. I knew it was weird to like chocolate in this family but I wasn't going to pretend I didn't. It was too good to pass up. I watched my dad open a box of some of the foreign specialty chocolates.

"You don't need any of that." Darius pointed. "All that sugar will make you sluggish. You need all of your energy to survive what I have planned for you."

"Hmm..." I didn't care what the alpha said. I was one-hundred percent positive my grandma had packed a whole box just for me.

***

I entered the hot pool area and scanned the edge. A few mothers were sitting with their pups but I didn't see Archer. Maybe they were on the other side. I slipped into the water and swam across. Shadows were moving behind a boulder. Climbing out, I walked toward them when I heard Archer.

"Hey—" I froze when I spotted him standing awfully close to a werewolf with golden fur. "Oh, sorry."

She moved past Archer. "Hey, Saigon. I heard you came back. Remember me?"

"Um... Willow, right?"

She smiled. "Everyone else is sitting over there." She pointed. "Do you want to join us?"

Swallowing hard, I glanced at Archer, who seemed annoyed. He wouldn't turn away from the wall that Willow had been leaning against.

"I better not. I have to get up early. Life of a dominant," I laughed. "It's going to be rough getting back into the swing of things." I cleared my throat. "Anyways, I better be going. Archer." I waved.

He glanced at me before waving. "See you tomorrow."

"Sounds like it. From what I hear, you get to chase down the herd while I have to kill it." I gave a nervous laugh.

He shrugged. "Sounds about right." His eyes didn't leave Willow, but she wouldn't stop staring at me.

"I'll see you around." I nodded at the pair.

Hurrying back to the water, I jumped in and swam across the pool. I reached the other side and lifted myself out with a huff. That had been a soul-crushing encounter. I knew I didn't have much of a chance, but if I was competing with a girl like Willow, it practically went to zero. Peering off at the distant group, I sighed. Tomorrow was my new start. I'd find a way to impress Archer. I had to, or I risked losing him to someone else.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5K 158 21
His Hostage, His mate, His love. Sam, a seasoned beta of his brother's pack is tasked with a dangerous mission: infiltrate the territory of their ri...
1.3M 11.3K 11
On his first moon, Aden shifts into a stunning white wolf with red marking, the sign of a perfect sub, the dream of any dominant male. To him, it's a...
888K 42.3K 39
(BOOK 1) Drew Lyall knew his life would be full of obstacles. It was the fate he shared with all of the Omegas. Even though he knew the unlikelihood...
170K 5.4K 23
Evan Blake was a quiet werewolf, not because he was shy or nervous but because he preferred to observe. It may sound weird but he was the type, alway...