The Children // ASSASSINS CRE...

By JaidenLM

Deimos was not the only child to be taken by the cult of Kosmos. One of the 'other' tortured Children of Chry... More

C1: The Lost
C2: The Bargain
C3: The List
C4: The Beauty
C5: The Rat
C6: The Promise
C7: The Compromise
C8: The Mother
C9: The Root
C10: The Flower
C11: The Conspiracy
C12: The Master
C13: The Prisoner
C 14: The Silent
C15: The Debt
C16: The Path
C17: The Faithful
C18: The Fabrication
C19: The Warrior
C20: The Moments
C21: The Flicker
C22: The Olympian
C23: The Run-Away
C 24: The Conqueror
C25: The Slave
C26: The Traitor
C27: The Distraction
C28: The Bounty
C29: The Eye
C30: The Conquest
C31: The Cost
C32: The Champion
C33: The Pawn
C34: The Play
C35: The Price
C36: The Edge
C37: The Offer
C38: The Storm
C39: The Wait
C40: The Chaos
C41: The Goodbye
C42: The Confession
C43: The Loose Ends
C44: The Puppet
C45: The Trap
C 46: The Way
C 47: The Walk
C48: The Herald
C49: The Warmth
C51: The End

C50: The Children

442 15 3
By JaidenLM

"I'm so glad you look more like me now" Eos had told Iris as she'd chewed on her fist. For the first couple of months, she'd looked so much like Alexios, Eos wondered if the child had got anything from her but, her skin had got a little darker and, her features had softened. There was no mistaking she was Alexios daughter, the eyes gave it away but, Eos could let them have that.

It seemed such a silly, mundane thing to think about but, with Iris, the babe had no real idea of what was going on around her and, it was nice to think about something other than the chaos surrounding them.

It was then Eos decided Iris' fist had been chewed at enough and she passed her an apple instead. The baby shoved it in her mouth. Her teeth were starting to come through and, it seemed the only way the discomfort stopped was her to chew on something. It had made the last few nights hell and, Eos felt as if they were all teetering over the edge, sometimes even just Alexios' voice made her mad.

"Should I feel insulted" Alexios had asked, his voice almost a little timid but, he'd seen Eos smile as he sat on the floor next to them, holding one of Iris' wooden bull in his hand. Iris had dropped the apple quickly, holding her hand out for the bull - Alexios almost gave it to her when-

"You will if you you give that to her". It would be fine if the child didn't have this incessant need to put everything in her mouth.

Grimacing, Alexios had pulled back the bull and offered her back the apple instead. Iris' bottom lip had quivered just a little and Alexios had looked back at Eos - she rolled her eyes. The girl was five months old but, she already had the most feared man in Greece wrapped around her finger...

"If she gets splinters-" Eos told him,

"She won't" he insisted.

"Uh huh" Eos stood up, Iris stopping her yearning for the bull to look up with her. Alexios put the apple in her hand then, and it fell in to her lap. He was sure the baby gave him some annoyed side-eye.

"It's not that time yet" Alexios said, leaning back a little, Iris looked at him now, those little eyes of her all wide and intrigued.

"It is" Eos told him, both hearing and feeling the loud, very annoyed sigh that she was sure Alexios did for Iris' benefit more than hers - who seemed to know what it meant, the small unimpressed baby scowl coming across her face making Eos smile more than it should have.

And, in turn' only seemed to make Iris do the face more often - sometimes Eos wondered if she really had any idea what she was doing.

"Just be careful" Alexios said, he put his hand on her thigh and Eos nodded,

"I won't be long" she promised, "you make sure he's good" Eos said, Iris threw her arms in the air and gurgled, seemingly taking the edge off the moment and making Alexios smile as he looked back at his daughter.

Trying to stop her would only lead to more arguments and, they'd had enough of those lately.

Eos had put her hood up, more so to keep the wind out of her face than to hide, as she'd stepped in to what had once been Lagos' compound. Since the archon had left, he'd done good on his offer, turning the compound in to a small village for any refugees of the war, bringing back some normality for the citizens that had lost their homes.

It gave them safety, as well as routine. It made this nightly walk just that, a moment for her to escape the tedious work that came with a baby and, the tailor had nodded at her as she went in to her own home next door. Eos had returned the gesture.

The people here were nice. Normal.

Even if they did give Alexios a wide birth sometimes, it never attracted enough attention for them to worry about it.

There was also the routine. Which, did help with keeping Alexios from being on the edge all the damn time, even if he worried himself more than was needed over the silliest of things.

And, as much as he hated to think it, this, right now, what she was doing, was just a much a part of the routine as his early morning walks that, at first, had scared the shit out of her. At least he knew where she was going...

And, her walks also gave them information. Whether his did or not, she couldn't tell because he never said and, Iris had got to the point where just a raised voice would make her start blubbering and, it broke Eos' heart too much to persue it.

It also wasn't so sporadic either, every few days, down from every day in the beginning - some common ground she'd reached with him - Eos would pay a visit to Alkibiades. Except, the politician didn't know of the company as he was usually far too caught up in whatever it was he was doing to realise anyone else had been there.

The politician knew they were in the compound, amongst the people. He'd even been the one to suggest it but, he'd made no move to come and see them. Ali had never had any need to go to the village. Coupled with the fact that he was trying to keep a low profile - he had all he needed come to him.

Which also included Kassandra and Darius - much to the delight and then, un-delight of the Persians that had been waiting for them.

Kassandra had suspected that it had been a trap, in order to prove Alkibiades loyalty to his new benefactors but, it seemed, as always, he was also trying to play his own game which, for now, didn't include betraying his old friends.

Alexios had watched from afar as the last of the Persian guards had tried to stop them from leaving, after Kassandra had semi-attempted to kill Alkibiades, leaving enough of his guard to tell the story and keep up the front the politician had.

They had left with some information on the whereabouts of Amorges and some of his men but, Kassandra knew there had to be more to it and, had mentioned that, if they could, to look out for it, however it was they did it. As long as it didn't blow their cover.

Eos hadn't had the pleasure of being a part of that conversation though and, she could see Alexios almost dying inside when he told her - he'd made it clear to both of them he would rather leave, find a cave and live like wildlings but, a baby didn't allow for those sorts of things. Iris needed the comfort of a fire during the cold nights and, parents who didn't have to fight even more to survive than they already did.

And, if only to make her life not so mundane anymore, Eos had taken it upon herself to keep an eye on Ali and his under-takings - much to Alexios' dismay but, he was far too fragile to deal with the politicians sense of humour and, some of the things she'd heard him say, whether true or not, would have made Alexios flip.

It had also bore fruit, meaning that they knew whenever an Order member was going to pass through, whether a persian patrol was making a visit. It also let them know that, if anything, Ali didn't have any involvement with the whereabouts of them, most of the letters referring to Kassandra or Darius.

Eos didn't know if that made her felt safer or not though. For all they knew, the Order were just letting them be, awaiting the right moment. Or, they didn't think Ali knew where they were so never asked it him. Or, at least, wrote it in a letter.

Because that's what she was here for. With Alexios' restraints, that was all she could really get on to.

Although, that didn't mean that she hadn't learnt his patterns.

His daily routine was sporadic at times. Most days, he met with men high up on the social ladder, leaders, both the corrupted kind and the truth-seeking kind, to bargain trades with, mostly soldiers and weapons and then, other times, it was to bargain with love... even if he had been married for a while now, it seemed he had no qualms in using any means to convince people of his cause.

His nights though, these moments she stole to look for some information, were a little more solidified in their outcomes.

It seemed that doting, power-hungry wife of his, could only spend so much time with him, meaning Alkibiades was able to find comfort in someone else.

So, mostly, un-phased by anything that would have happened that day, including a couple attempts on his life, that he was able to talk his way out of and then, even use the would-be killer to his own gain, his lover would come, spending most of the night with him and bringing him the news Eos was most interested in.

His lover was a Persian man, his accent thick with the love of his country but, also an endless want for Alkibiades as well.

Now, at first, Eos wasn't sure if said Persian really had any idea of what was happening with the Order but, it soon became apparent that he was quite the acquaintance with Amorges. Although, that didn't mean he liked him. He kept claiming that whatever Amorges was pursuing benefitted no one but himself. Although, Ali would always quiet him before he could whine about it much more.

It was real information she could take back, a rift within the Order, no matter how small, would give them an advantage.

Eos had considered following him back to wherever it was he went one time but, she knew Alexios would never forgive her and, when she'd tried to bring it up with him, she'd changed the subject quicker than Zeus could strike her down with lighting.

It wasn't worth the risk. Or the stress.

So, instead, every so often, Eos would be stood in this exact same spot outside Ali's safe house, waiting.

This night, she could hear Ali talking to himself, his voice too quiet for her to hear. He was pouring some wine, expecting his lover who, Eos could hear getting off his horse just around the corner to her.

Eos had looked through the small window as the Persian had given a light knock before going inside, embracing Alkibiades who, did seem a little rigid tonight.

The Persian had started to talk, Ali paying little attention as he swished the wine around in the glass he held. The Persian had reached out to him.

"Ali?" The Persian said gently. Ali had looked at him, forcing a small smile, "come on". Taking his hand, he had led Ali through the door and in to the bed room.

It was strange. She'd never seen Ali like that, never seen the Persian so ecstatic about something. He was always so moany.

Making her way in through the open back door, Eos had went over to Ali's desk, gently pushing some of the papers around.

It was days like this she wished Alexios just let her go and check-up on Ali during the day. Something had obviously gone on to distract him and, she couldn't find anything here. Just the same few letters from before, a letter he'd started writing up, addressed to an Athenian leader about a ship he was hoping to acquire. Perhaps Ali was finally making a run for it but, she wouldn't really know until it was finished.

Eos sighed and put her hands on her hips.

Most of the letters he had were down-right boring, mostly passive aggressive written arguments with people he'd hurt in his betrayal against Athens, or Sparta - it depended on the day and then, some were just down-right bizarre. Seems that even though his wife didn't have time to spend with him, she had time to write love letters...

All of which were of no use to Eos tonight.

And even less use to Alexios - who she was sure was more jealous than anything by now. Some of the things he said about all this made her want to lose her eyes in the back of her head.

Pushing Alexios from her mind, she was generally starting to wonder if Ali would ever have anything of interest to take back to him...

That was the thing about leaving a few days in between. It meant that letters got lost or sent without her knowing and, she knew that he kept some on him, whether because they were more important, she didn't know.

Perhaps it was time to move on but, with hardly any communication between them and the others, how on earth did they know what would come next? On where was safe?

And, that wasn't a cave...

Looking at the left-over wine, Eos wondered if perhaps it would help take the edge off Alexios' anxiety, even if only for tonight.

And, considering she had nothing else to give him...

Eos was just shuffling a couple papers back in to their places when she heard voices from next door, Ali and his lover having seemingly finished whatever it was they were doing a little sooner than usual.

Stepping behind a screen and sitting back on a chest, her usual place whenever Ali finished his business a little early, she'd heard him muttering something under his breath before hearing him pour another glass of wine, the jug tapping against it as his hand shook. He placed a small piece of parchment on the table.

His lover came out then, clearing his throat as he grabbed the screen to hold himself up, Eos watching as his hand moved upwards and then away, the Persian clearing his throat another time before saying -

"Ali, there is no need to feel bad" the Persian said,

"You underestimate them" Ali said quietly,

"They won't even realise its-" he took a moment to cough before clearing his throat again, "happened" he added, "it'll be quick, I promise". He grabbed for the screen again, Eos watching as his hand clenched itself around the wood. "Give me tha-" he took a shuddery deep breath, "I need a drink". Ali passed the wine to him, the Persian drinking it back, finding respite for only a small moment.

"You don't need-ughh" the Persian gagged, letting go of the screen as he stumbled back, grabbing at his throat.

He started to choke, his mouth starting to fill with blood. He spotted Eos as he fell backwards, the little whimper he gave the last thing he could manage until the blood choked him.

"I'm sorry" Ali had said quietly...

The wine...

Eos made a small noise. The thought of having given it to Alexios sickening her.

Ali had heard her, spinning around to look at where she was hiding, the politician grabbing for the jug and holding it up, his hand shaking still.

"Who's there" his voice broke. Eos stepped out, the Politician having raised the jug a few inches higher.

He dropped it, letting out a breath when he saw her.

"Eos".

The Persian was on his back now, looking up, his eyes wide as he lost the fight to the poison.

"Ali..." Eos took a step towards them, the man seeming to recognise her before he let out one final shuddery breath - "what have you... why..." she looked back to Alkibiades, to the way he took the deepest of breaths, both of his hands clamped around the table as he leaned on it, slowly rocking back and forth, trying to compose himself in to the usual Alkibaides they were all used to. She noticed the new piece of parchment on the table.

"It-" Ali stopped,"I...".

"Ali, what's happened" Eos asked him, glancing to the parchment before looking back at him,

"Their coming" Ali said, he picked it up as he turned around.

"Who". He put his head down.

"Men tasked with taking that sweet babe of yours away" Ali said quietly. He'd never seen her but, Kassandra had told him that she was adorable.

"The cult" Eos asked,

"Mercenaries" Ali said, "I'm not sure who they were employed by" he looked down at his dead lover, "perhaps his..." he took a deep breath and shook his head "all I know is that they want the child alive. They do not care who gets caught in the crossfire".

"How did they even know where we were" Eos took a step towards him and he flinched, "you said-", Eos stopped, "Ali. I'm not here to hurt you" she told him,

"But you don't trust me" he said, a yearning in his voice,

"I don't trust the company you keep Ali". He nodded.

"I understand" he said. Ali raised his head, taking a deep breath as he stood straight. "This letter, it..." he sighed and held it out to her, "take it".

He passed it to her and Eos took a step closer to the light so she could read it properly.

The compound in Tegea, the house with a blue door, opposite the inn. Make it quick, the less commotion, the better.

"Who" Eos looked at him, it wasn't signed.

"Honestly, I don't know. He received it from a courier on the way here, I do not know if he has acted upon it yet" Ali told her, Eos was walking backward already,

"I have to go" she said,

Alexios, Iris... they...

"Theres one more thing",

"What", he put his hand in his robes and pulled out another,

"Something Kassandra said, it made me think of you" he passed it to her. Eos unrolled it. "We have familiars in Athens. We wanted to accomplish the same things and I..." he thought they had been a friend... they had spoke of Kassandra in some of their earlier messages... of how they admired her and... he'd been stupid.

Alkibiades,

It is with much regret that I send this final letter to you. As I have said before - you have done astonishingly well in your efforts to stir up trouble amongst the Spartans. The causing of such unrest within the council and how you managed to earn the Kings favour is admirable but, it seemed you never did learn to stop. You lost your position, their trust and, it won't be long until you lose the Persians aswell. I expected better of you but, you have always been the same.

That is why our deal has come to a close. You have allowed me to find what it is I truly seek. And, I no longer need your assistance in what I am to create. You can have what is left of Athens after the war you've caused. I'll continue to work towards something greater, something better - a new dawn within the chaos.

Soon, I will have all I need come to me.

....

The Ghost...

Eos looked at him and then turned away, she had to get back.

Ali watched her leave. He'd done a lot of things these last few weeks. Things he wasn't proud of and, now, watching her go, more afraid than he'd ever seen her, he realised he'd made the biggest mistake he could... if they died... it'd be his fault...

Using the fields to disguise her tracks, Eos couldn't help but feel as if someone was watching her, the need to look over her shoulder getting that little too much as she finally reached the village.

But she had to stay calm. There was no one there. Panicking would only bring more attention and, they had to be swift about this. They couldn't waste any time.

She had waited a moment though. Stood outside the door. There was no noise coming from inside but, if Iris was already asleep then...

She took a deep breath.

Eos had gone to push the door open when she felt someone from the inside grab her and pull her in. Eos had panicked, grabbing for her dagger that wasn't there, when,

"Eos", it was just Alexios, "Eos", she pulled away from him, "where have you been",

"I... it's not been that long" she went passed him and he grabbed for her again, softer this time,

"Eos",

"We have to go" she pulled out again, looking at Iris who was sat up, watching them both, very much not asleep.

"Tell me what happened" Alexios said as she went over to the little belongings they had. Alexios came up behind her, putting his hand on the bag she'd grabbed.

"We have to go" Eos repeated.

"Why" Alexios asked,

"Their coming" Eos said "that Persian lover of his, he..." He was dead... Ali had poisoned him...

And the wine. By the Gods, she was going to take it with her...

What if she...

"Eos" Alexios grabbed her hand again - she was shaking - she hadn't even realised. "Eos" he said again, she turned to him, making herself take a deep breath as she sat back on the table instead, letting the bag go. "What happened". Eos shrugged, feeling her bottom lip start to quiver as she swallowed back a sob.

She pulled out the letters from her pocket, all scrumpled and torn from her having been playing with it on her way here.

She gave them to him.

He scanned it over quickly at first, only to realise that he had to read them properly.

"Eos..." he looked at her, "where...",

"Ali. The... ghost... he-"

"He knew her" he spat, Eos flinched,

"They were... partners" Eos told him, she could see his face turning red, "he didn't know".

"He still didn't think to tell us" Alexios was only getting more and more angry. Alexios had gone for the door, "I'm going to speak to him",

"Did you not read the note" Eos said, desperately now, "they know where we are" she gestured to Iris who was sat back on the chair looking at them, her little eyes looked ready to cry if they raised their voices anymore. "We need to go".

Alexios huffed and kicked the door with his foot, loud enough to make Iris jump, to fall forward before Eos caught her and picked her up, trying to hush away the cry that was about to come. She turned back to him.

He took a deep breath as he looked to the floor, the babe now blubbing in to Eos' shoulder as she bounced her. He came over to them, the babe quickly turning and holding her arms out to go to him.

"Please" Eos said as he took her, the babe snuggling in to his chest as she clenched her fist around the collar of his robe.

Alexios nodded.

***

Fed and changed, Iris had fallen asleep in the sling Alexios had strapped to his chest, the babe curled up and now clutching that red blanket Kassandra had given her.

Eos had stroked her little red cheek before looking up, Alexios sighing as he leaned his head on hers.

"I'm sorry" he said, he raised his hand, stroking Eos' cheek with the back of his hand. Eos smiled and then kissed him. The Champion pulled back for a moment before he found sense, pulling Eos back for another - not giving her anytime to dwell on what he'd done.

It had been hard between them lately... hard to be what they were before because, Iris needed all of their attention and, most nights, there was none left to give to each other... it was one of the other reasons Alexios hated her going out after dark to spy on Alkibiades... the man got more of her attention than he did and he didn't even know it.

It also didn't help because Alexios knew what had to be done now... and it would make it all the harder... there would forever be so many things left unsaid... things left undone... but, it had to be that way. They'd never really had any other choice.

Even if Eos, or Iris, didn't want it.

Outside, glancing back at the small house one last time, Eos had scoffed at herself, wondering why she'd expected it to be any different, to be safer in the long-run.

They'd been blind, missed the signs. They'd had to have done.

Iris took up so much of their time. Trying to be good parents and watching your back was so much harder than she thought it would be. They only just managed it with the two of them and, it hadn't been enough...

That cave was looking all the more pleasing now.

It was cold outside that night... the weather was turning, finally catching up with the season and, Eos wasn't sure how long they could go without stopping... or, as determined as Alexios seemed, if they really had a plan on which way to go.

That's another thing Iris didn't leave much time for... planning... still, they had to go somewhere... if the Order were to catch up with them, they had to make them work for it.

Alexios chose for them to go north, of where Tegea was and then to go east. Whether he had any thoughts on a boat trip, he hadn't shared yet.

But, they had no choice but to stop for a moment. Iris needed to feed and Eos couldn't concentrate on both that and making sure she didn't trip over as they passed through the brush.

Although, it did allow them to realise that, they were indeed being followed. Dawn was coming and, they were tired, Iris wasn't settling and, Eos could feel a headache coming on but, a quick glance at Alexios told her he felt it to.

Eos placed her hand on steel sword she had strapped to her belt as Alexios grabbed the hilt of his own with one hand and held Iris closer to him in the other. Alexios had turned around just as someone had rushed him, his sword cutting through the mans stomach as he swung it, stopping him in his tracks.

Eos, hearing a small little swish had ducked through an arrow and grabbed for the dagger attached to Alexios' waist, throwing it at the arrows entry way and hearing someone fall. She was sure it had been hers but, before she could give much thought to it, another had emerged, his sword readied to swing at her and, Eos had dodged around him, tripping him up with her foot as he diverted over to Alexios instead. Grabbing for his sword, she had stabbed him in the back before holding her own out to the next man that came at them.

Back to back with Alexios, Eos heard the gold sword cut through another as he lashed out, the both of them switching sides quickly to put off their attackers.

Who, already it seemed, were starting to swing more desperately, meaning they hadn't brought enough men to finish what they started. The bodies around the three of them were starting to mount up, the small 'very open' graveyard they were creating making it that much harder for the men to get close to them without tripping over their friends.

Eos heard the swish of an arrow and they switched sides again, the arrow narrowly missing her and embedding itself in to Alexios' sword arm. It had made him wobble for a moment but, Eos had pulled it out quickly and stuck it in a mans eye before grabbing their sheild and holding it up, another arrow having come their way.

Now daggerless, Eos had motioned towards the bowman, giving Alexios enough time to cover himself from behind as she rushed him, the bowman, both now desperate and scared, shooting a couple more arrows at her before she decided to high-tail it and run but, he was just close enough that Eos could reach out and smack him with the sheild, cutting in to the back of his head before she heard a cry.

Eos had swung around, Alexios on the ground, grabbing for Iris who had fallen out of the sling, an attacker above him, ready to stab him in the back.

Grabbing the bow, Eos had shot at him, not quite getting the open part of his neck but, enough to make him stumble and give her time to reach him and stab him through the back.

Iris was screaming now, Alexios shaking as he held her tight, blood all down his chest.

"Please no" Eos pulled Iris from his arms, the Champion going stiff as Eos checked her over. Kneeling down, the blood, she was covered in it, the sound, she must have been hurt but...

It wasn't hers.

Eos looked to Alexios. He was shaking, his face going paler the more he looked at Iris. Holding Iris on her shoulder, the babe having quieted just a little, Eos had stood and grabbed for him as he'd stumbled.

"Please" she told him,

"I'm..." he let out a breath, falling to a knee. Eos knelt down with him,

"You can't" she told him,

"Is she...",

"She's fine, please" she put her hand on his cheek and he leaned in to it a little,

"It just hurts. That's all" he told her quietly, he looked down at his stomach... at where Amorges had stabbed him with the dagger,

"The blood" Eos cried, he hushed her, putting an arm around her, pulling her and Iris closer to him, "you can't lea-",

"I'm not" he said quietly, "I just... I just need a minute",

"We need to close it" Eos told him as she pulled away,

"Eos...",

"Please",

"We can't stop" he looked to the men around them, then he looked at Iris, the teary eyed babe glancing at him from where she had her head buried in her maters shoulder, her little hands clenched tightly around her robes. He touched her cheek, the little babes lip quivering before she reached out for him.

"Please" Eos said, "for her". Alexios sighed and nodded.

Eos looked around for the bag she'd dropped amongst the fight, it had what they needed for a fire inside it.

Iris, who realised her father wasn't going to take her this time, had put her head back in to Eos' shoulder, glancing up and over it at him as Eos grabbed the bag and then proceeded to pat down the soldiers quickly, anything to tell them who they were, or where they were going to do.

The babe let out a small whimper when she watched Alexios fall forward, putting his hand out to stop himself. Eos turned around,

"Alexios" she said, he waved it off and pushed himself back up, taking a deep breath as he did.

It didn't even hurt that much. It was just the thought of having dropped her, the poor babes little body hitting against the bloodied dead beneath their feet, the way he'd scrambled to pick her up, his fingers numb...

And now she was watching him, as if she'd completely forgotten what he'd done...

Eos came back to him then, holding a canteen that smelt strongly of wine. She offered it to him, if only to take the edge of but, he pushed it away, Iris getting a whiff of it and wrinkling her nose.

"We can't stay here" Alexios said again, if it wasn't more men that came, it would be the wolves. Eos nodded, holding him under the arm and helping him to his feet.

"Over there" Eos said, she nodded to where one of the bowman had been, only then remembering that he'd been shot in the shoulder too. "Turn around" she told him,

"Eos...", he grabbed her,

"But..." Alexios held her hand, she was shaking... he wasn't completely sure whether she'd stopped since she'd come back from Alkibiades. He leaned his head on hers,

"We'll be okay" he heard her swallow back another lump in her throat as he pulled her in to him, Iris having turned around to try and attach herself to him instead. She needed to know that he was okay too.

He'd taken her this time, Eos watching as she buried her face in to his shoulder, Alexios starting to relax more as the babe clutched to him.

He did stop though, near a dead bowman. He'd knelt down slowly, picking something up. Her dagger.

Moving a little away from the brutal scene, Eos had watched Alexios for any sign of a stumble but, he seemed to get stronger with every step, Iris already starting to relax enough that Eos could see her nodding off in his arms. She was trying so hard to stay awake.

Eventually, they stopped in a small clearing, Eos trying so hard not to flinch at every little sound. She had to calm down.

Grabbing the driest sticks she could, Eos had started on a fire whilst Alexios had sat down. The colour was slowly coming back to his face and, Iris had all but fallen asleep.

"Here" he said quietly, holding out her dagger. Eos had taken it, turning it in her hands before she'd wiped it down, offering some of the wine to Alexios again. He ignored it.

Eos put the canteen down and then held the daggers blade over the fire, watching carefully as the metal slowly started to turn red.

After a few moments of quiet, Iris snorted a little from in Alexios' arms, the child pushing her legs out as she started to fidget. Alexios heard the little rumble in her stomach as she opened her eyes,

"Hungry" he asked her. Eos looked over at them, Iris was looking at her now, her bottom lip quivering, ready for a feed. Eos held her arms out, the babe reaching out as Alexios passed her over.

Alexios had taken off his chest piece then, taking a closer look at the cut on his stomach. He'd taking his own leather canteen and poured the water inside on to it, flushing out a little bit more blood. Eos shuddered a little, he needed to wait,

"It's-" but before she could say anymore, Alexios had grabbed the dagger and pressed the blade against his stomach. Other than the initial wince, she was sure she reacted to the pain more than he did. Even Iris seemed to shudder with her.

He let out a breath and put his head back. The skin burned to a close and he let it fall.

"Are you...", Alexios let his head fall forward with another breath and nodded,

"I'm okay" he said, "feed her, we have to move",

"We need to figure out where we're going" Eos said,

"I know a place" he told her, "it'll be safe... for tonight...", Eos swallowed back another lump in her throat and nodded before she looked at Iris, the babe sucking on her thumb, waiting.

***

Once Iris was happy and fed, Eos had wiped her clean of any left-over blood and then put her in a new blanket, the babe happy and gurgling in her arms.

It didn't take Alexios long to find a path, both Eos and Iris keeping a close eye of him, watching him start to sway as he stopped every few minutes, deciding on which way to go.

"Those men" Alexios said eventually, "they weren't mercenaries" he told her.

"No" Eos said quietly, they had been soldiers-and not cultist ones either-they knew how they fought... there was a chance they could have been from the Order as well but, the men had been unusually quiet and fragile compared to them. The armour and weapons too, it wasn't even expensive looking...

"Who do you...",

"I think your Athenian friend shit himself and sent them after us" Alexios admitted,

"He..." he'd said it, hadn't he, "it doesn't mean he made...",

"He's the only one who knew there Eos" Alexios stopped. "Unless..." he turned around to her and Eos almost bumped in to him, she took a step back, "they followed you home".

"No. One. Followed me home" Eos assured him as she pushed passed,

"You-"

"So it's all my fault, is it" Eos asked, she turned back around to him,

"If you'd just listened to me in the first place. We wouldn't be in this mess", he said.

"If I'd listened to you in the first place, I'd be dead Alexios. Iris wouldn't even-", she took a deep breath, "if I'd not gone there tonight, they would have slaughtered us in our beds and taken our daughter" Eos snapped. Iris jumped awake, immediately starting to cry and making Eos feel awful. Eos bounced her, trying to hush her back to sleep,

"You mean me" Alexios said quietly.

"And you would you have rathered that" Eos asked him quietly, choking on a lump in her throat as she tried to stop the both of them now, from crying.

Alexios took a step back.

What the hell was he doing... this wasn't her fault... none of it was... she never would have known what Ali would do... she'd trusted him... why was he...

Fuck it, his stomach hurt.

"Eos" he said softly,

"Can we just go" Eos said, still in tears, she turned away from him, Iris still crying and now, to add to Eos' hurt, reaching out for her father. "Take her" Eos said,

"Eos, you don't-",

"No. But" she squeezed her eyes shut, she was only making Iris worse, "she does" Eos said quietly, "please".

Alexios took her, the babe settling in his arms but, still teary and looking for some comfort.

From there on, she'd followed behind him, Iris looking over Alexios' shoulder at her, still sad.

Eos had been staring at her, not realising where they'd got to before it was right there, in front of her - or, what was left.

Eos had stopped. That was the farm.

The farm Pyros had set alight... hoping she'd been in it...

And Laelaps...

How had they all fallen so far... how were there so little of them left... what had they done to deserve it... all of it...

"Eos" Alexios said, she looked to him and then followed - he seemed to know where he was going now.

Entering the forest, they came to the bottom of a small cliff, a cave in the centre of it. There was a carcass sat outside. It had mostly been eaten, the only think left was a bones and a skull. A huge one.

"Is that a bear skull" Eos asked, she took a deep breath, her voice still a little brittle,

"It is" Alexios said, "A legendary one apparently",

"That's one of the animals those hunters of Artemis asked Kassandra to kill, isn't it" Eos said,

"It is", she looked at Alexios,

"What happened with that" Eos asked,

"I think their still awaiting their lycaon skin".

Inside its den, the ends of the sun streamed in, enough for Alexios to see what he was doing and, dry enough to make a fire.

"What's the plan Alexios" Eos asked. He looked to her. She was changing Iris, the babe throwing her arms and legs around, as if she'd been deprived of it whole life, "Iris" Eos said, the babe smiled and did it again, she sighed and then looked at Alexios instead as she sat up. Iris tried to look back as well, the babes mouth open and smiling as she caught his eye.

"A port" he managed to get out,

"Which one", he hesitated,

"I don't know" he reached over, pulling Iris on to his lap, the babe grabbing at a strand of hair and pulling at it, "ouch", Iris let go, her little body flinching before she whacked him in the mouth instead. Alexios chuckled and Iris squinted at him.

"Child, please, don't beat up your father", Iris had turned to Eos and reached out, her little fingers grabbing at the air between them, Eos snorted and then took her, Alexios going back to sorting the fire, the light that was coming in to the cave had almost faded completely now.

Eos sat Iris on her lap, letting her have full view of her pater lighting the fire.

Iris grumbled and Alexios looked up at her,

"Do you ever be quiet" he asked, she bounced herself on Eos' lap and she had to hold her to keep her from falling forward. "Is that a no" she gave another, slightly more high pitched scream before she laughed and leaned her head back on Eos,

"Your just making sure the wild animals don't get us, aren't you" Eos said, Iris grumbled some more and then the fire started, the flames catching quickly with a gust of wind from outside.

Iris opened her mouth, her eyes going wide before she smiled and then tried to grab for it, Eos pulling her hand away,

"You have no common sense" Eos told her, she shuffled back a little. Iris grumbled and then reached out for Alexios. Eos sighed.

He sat next to them and took her, Iris quickly cuddling herself in to the nook of his neck and closing her eyes.

"Its not fair" Eos said. Alexios looked to her and she leaned her head on his shoulder, looking at the top of Iris' head, the little tendrils of hair that covered it, "why can't we fall asleep as easily as her", he smiled and leaned his head against hers, the deep breath he breathed in making Iris fidget a little.

***

Sleep hadn't come easy but, with Iris only waking up once for a feed throughout the night, Eos and Alexios were as ready as they could be for the day ahead.

Eos was still hurt about the words said the day before but, she knew it was because Alexios was hurting. He needed time to heal but, thankfully, the seared skin was a little bruised but, clean. No infection yet.

"That's Argos, isn't it" Eos said, spotting the more than likely bustling town from afar,

"It is" Alexios said,

"That's where Hippokrates is" Eos told Iris, "do you remember him" she asked, the babe tilted her head, "probably not", she looked to Alexios,

"We should go around it" he said. Eos nodded.

"I hope they leave him alone" she said,

"Me to" Alexios said quietly.

As much as it would be nice to see the physician, the chance of the Order, or the Cult being there already or, Hippokrates getting caught in the middle of it wasn't worth the risk.

Although, Eos had started to wonder whether coming this way really was worth it. The memories alone were enough to make her want to stop.

The valley of kings...

"What is it",

"That's where they" she looked at Alexios and then the ground. Laelaps...

He'd almost forgotten. That was where they'd taken her, where they'd slayed the lycaon and... he... he almost lost himself... he looked to Iris... she'd been there... through out all of it...

"We need to keep going" he said.

Dwelling on the past right now would get them nowhere.

Soon though, what Alexios was aiming for had come in to sight, if only for that night.

It was those ruins. The palace of Agamemnon. The ruins the Order had kept her and Glaukos is before moving them to that fort...

"Eos" Alexios asked.

This was near where she'd met her father for the first time. On a cliff that looked out over Athens... where he told her, her mother had run back to... to be with the one she'd truly loved...

Except, she'd made a detour on her way home...

Eos knew she'd have to face her... that was the only way it would stop... the only way to make sure Iris was safe.

"Eos" he asked again, walking back towards her.

She snapped out of it and looked at him.

"Sorry, I...",

"We can find somewhere else" he said.

She shook her head. Ruined or not. It was dry inside and, this light smattering of rain wasn't about to stop anytime soon.

Eos had taken them to the spot where she and Glaukos had stayed. There wasn't much left to pillage but, they did find Iris a new blanket to wrap her with and, whether by luck or, the grace of Gods, the left-overs of a dry fire base.

Eos got the fire going whilst Alexios sat, leaning up against the fancy looking, very picked apart now, chest, watching Iris play with her wooden bull, the toy had been right at the bottom of their bag and, somehow, not soaked like most of the other things.

"Do you have a plan" she asked,

She looked at him, his eyes on her now instead... it made her feel a little uneasy...

"Athens",

"Why Athens" Eos asked,

"Because theres better ships there" he said quietly. He looked back at Iris.

"Better ships?" Eos asked. He took a deep breath and nodded.

"You know what has to happen".

Eos sat back a little,

"Where are these better ships going to take us" she asked him,

"Away from this" he leaned his head back, "from me".

"This was your plan all along" Eos said. He shook his head. He didn't want to lose them but... they'd be safer... away from him... away from Amorges... from the Ghost... He and Kassandra could distract them and then - then they could leave... slip away when no one noticed.

"Did you hear that Iris" Eos asked, Iris looked over at her, a little confused, "you're gonna need to find someone else to play bulls with". Eos chewed at her lip, feeling her teeth bite in to the skin as she chewed too much, "seems like everyone knows what's best for you" Eos went on, "except me" - Iris tilted her head and then dropped the bull, holding her arms out for Eos to take her.

Alexios hesitated, he didn't want Iris to be in the middle of another argument but, then she kicked her legs at him, trying to launch herself at her mother. Seems she held no bad feelings.

Alexios looked away as he passed her over, Eos taking her but, still waiting for an answer.

"Eos, please" - he didn't want to argue.

"No. You don't have a good enough reason not to come" she looked at Iris who looked up at her, as if she agreed. They both looked at him at the same time.

"I can't-",

Eos didn't want to hear it.

Eos had done worse than him. Much worse. And, they all seemed to forget that.

"No. I'm seeing this through. We're seeing it through" she bounced Iris and the baby gurgled at her.

"Its too dangerous Eos, can't you see that, for he-",

"Stop using her as an excuse" Eos snapped. Iris looked at her, the child a little taken aback. Eos sighed and frowned at her, the baby poked her lip and Eos smiled before she looked back at Alexios. "She's never going to be safe until we know. I. Know. Whose after her..." Eos shook her head, "I can run away but, whose to tell you don't end up getting killed, that Kassandra doesn't end up dead?" Eos sat forward, Iris now sat in her lap, "what do we have left then? An old man who is one fight away from losing all he has left?" Eos shrugged. "And then all we'd ever do is run. Always looking over our shoulder - always worried that the Ghost, her grand mother, would want to use her for some sick ritual or godly intervention..." like him...

She couldn't - wouldn't - live like it.

"Eos." Alexios leaned forward, looking to the ground.

"Say it then" Eos told him, he glanced up at her, "say you want us to go, to leave, to never see you again".

Because life went so well when they lost each other before...

Iris whimpered then and held her arms out to her pater. Alexios had gone to take her but, Eos had leaned back, making Iris do a small protest all on her own. Her little hands had bundled up in to fists and she'd tried to push herself away.

"Say it" Eos told him again, trying to keep her voice down, Iris looking at her and then looking at her father. She held out her arms to him again.

But, he couldn't.

He was selfish... and this... them... he couldn't let it go... he'd told Kassandra he would... told Darius he could... but, it hurt too much. It hurt more than anything else in the world and, all he wanted right now, was to hold his daughter, to lay next to the woman he loved and forget where he was. Just for now.

His lack of an answer was answer enough for Eos but, that didn't mean that the bitterness had gone away.

***

Eos' mood hadn't improved by the next morning. Iris choosing to stay in her paters arms made her feel better but, she knew that it was more out of spite than anything else. The child loved it there, he was taller, he was able to hold her up, and steady, for longer and, she would gurgle at him, Alexios talking back as if they were having a real conversation. She was even sure she heard him say that her mater was very angry with him and, Eos wondered why he was being so nice... Eos was furious with him and, she didn't even know why.

She wasn't stupid.

She knew it was dangerous. Eos knew they were putting themselves at risk and, perhaps all the words she'd said the night before weren't fair, or true but, wasn't this - the three of them - worth that risk? Would any of them be able to survive without the other now?

Eos never wanted to find out.

And, if that made her selfish then, so be it.

She had been through far too much to give up now.

***

Arriving in Argos, Alexios had taken off the golden chest piece, wrapping it in a blanket and strapping it to his back and then, with his eyes on Eos and Iris at all times, used what drachmae they had left to buy some supplies.

They mostly just needed some new robes, some bread and then, with a little haggling, a place on a merchant's ship.

It seemed Barnabas and his crew had sailed a couple weeks before, Alexios not asking much more in an attempt to not draw any attention. He'd told the dock master that one of the crew had owed him money and left it at that.

Before they'd departed, the man in the tavern had let them use one of his empties room to change themselves and reorganise, the man having taking pity on Iris more than anything.

The Champion had leaned back as he'd watched Eos change, Iris sat up on his knee... Her body was so battered and bruised now, so much like his own, so worn and torn... moments like this made him wonder how they got out of it alive... how they could do anything more than what they did now.

He had looked down at Iris then, the babe chewing on her wooden cow as she watched her mom.

"Are you hungry" he asked her, she grunted and then chewed the cow even more,

"She has a couple teeth coming through at the bottom" Eos told him, "I think its that". Eos tied her robe and then looked to them, the both of them now looking at her, Iris looking at her out of the corner of her eye, "what",

"You look really nice" Alexios said, Eos shook her head,

"You mean I don't look like I've been dragged backwards through the forest anymore" Eos dragged her fingers through her hair, it was the first time it had seen hot water in a few days and by the Gods, she thought her scalp may have burned off just from her fingertips touching it. Throwing it back up in to its bun, Alexios had stood up, passing Iris to her as he got changed next.

Alexios was quicker than her, Eos not sure whether she should feel dissapointed at the lack of a show.

***

The trip over the sea was quiet. Eos was still a little angry with Alexios and, she wasn't sure what it was they'd do when they got there... Athens was a big place, full of people...

One of which could be the Ghost...

From what she had gathered, the woman had power so, she had to be someone important. Or, at least be married to someone important.

Eos knew the pool would have been quite big for something like that but, the war, the plague, it had dwindled Athens numbers far more than enough to make it that little bit easier...

But it also meant that perhaps she had enough money, or power, to leave before it did...

Although, as they docked, Alexios finally confessed to what he'd been doing on those mysterious early morning walks. Seems he'd been conversing with Kassandra via Ikaros and then Darius, on occasion.

They'd not had much to say and, neither had he - mostly it was just small talk.

When he didn't come, they knew he was gone.

Although. They knew where he'd be headed.

Seems there was no need to plan anything.

"And here's me thinking you were off galivanting with some woman", she had to make light of the situation, for Iris' sake because, she wouldn't have mind stabbing him right now. It was a shame so many people were around.

"That's ridiculous" he said,

"Isn't that what you thought I was doing with Alkibaides", Alexios hesitated long enough for her to know.

"No" he said quickly.

Eos looked at Iris who tilted her head and then held her arms out, she grunted. Alexios passed her over.

"Why didn't you just tell me" Eos said.

He shrugged... perhaps it would have made things easier but, she already put herself in enough danger going to spy on Alkibiades, he'd rather her not go off in the middle of the night as well. He was expendable. She wasn't.

***

Standing on port Piraeus, Iris in her arms, Eos couldn't help but, feel sad.

"You see there" she pointed at the sanctuary of Asklepios, Iris followed her finger, there was no way she could see it from that far but, still, "you groan about sleeping in a drawer sometimes and I had to sleep in a roof", Iris looked back at her, "and Laelaps..." Eos smiled, "he would sit at the bottom and grumble at me. All night" - there was no way the dog could get up.

"And over there" Alexios pointed towards the inner city, "is where you-"

"Your pater kidnapped me" Eos put in. Alexios rolled his eyes, "its true" Eos said, she took a few steps forward, "a little different but, that's what it was", Iris was listening so intently, Eos just kept talking, straying to things she didn't think she'd say out loud again.

"There was this mercenary once" she said, "had bandages on his feet".

Alexios just listened as they walked, keeping an eye on the people around them.

Eos told her about Kallinos... about Melaina...

The hope she'd had that Melaina was on her side... the way Melaina had tortured the eye of kosmo. How the chimera had found her outside Periklese' symposium - not exactly story tale material for a baby but, Iris just enjoyed listening, her eyes getting heavier.

"Not the best of times really" Eos admitted. Iris grunted at her...

It wasn't all bad, she guessed. Iris was never something she'd wanted, not like this but, she couldn't be without her now and, without the things that had happened here, perhaps she never would have.

They'd considered going to Periklese' home but, Eos had heard a familiar voice and, it had led them straight to Sokrates and one of his students. The two of them seeming to have a disgagreement over something that Eos was sure they also agreed upon. The familiarity was nice.

Eos and Alexios had waited until he was finished, the philosoper glancing over at them for a moment. At first, he seemed to almost brush them off and then, he realised who they were - or at least her. Seems 'Deimos' reputation really did rely on his gold armour.

"Eos. I never would have expected this" he looked to the strap on Alexios chest, at the babe shaped package behind it, "and a baby".

It had been a long time.

"We need your help Sokrates" Eos told him,

"Of course you do. Come with me" he said,

They followed him, the man knowing exactly where it was he was going to take them.

"How has it been here" Eos asked, "since... everything".

"A lot has happened" he said, "Even Aspacia is returning form Naxos" he said, "although I do wonder what she is looking for here",

"Have you seen my sister" Alexios asked,

"I have" Sokrates said, "we went to visit young Pheobes grave".

Alexios made a mental note to ask him where it was.

"Did she say where she was going" Eos asked,

"Am I supposed to tell you" he asked,

"I'd hope so" Eos said.

Sokrates stopped then, near some houses.

"I can let her know you're here" he said, Eos nodded, she guessed that was enough for now.

"Second door" he passed her a key.

The house Sokrates had given them was situated between two others. It was nothing special but, the door was sturdy, the windows too small to climb through and, the upstairs had a small balcony which gave them a good view of the street.

And, a guest, not long after.

Darius.

Alexios had elected to go for a walk, he couldn't face Darius and, he knew what he was going to try and convince Eos to do. Anyway, Sokrates had told him where the young girl had been laid to rest and, he'd wanted to go and see it.

He never knew Pheobe but, he knew she was a casualty of that night in Athens, when he killed Periklese. It wasn't even the plague that had too her, it had been the cult... Kassandra had tried to save her and, she'd been too late... He hadn't authorised it... Perhaps she'd just been in the wrong place at the wrong time... Perhaps Kleon had told them to do it... He'd never know now...

Alexios bowed his head and then left, if Darius was here, it meant someone else was too.

"They grow up so fast" Darius had said as he sat down on the empty seat near Eos and Iris. Iris was sat up, grabbing at the minature toy bull, lifting it up a little before letting it fall back down, clapping her hands as it hit the floor. Eos smiled at her,

"They do" Eos said, using another of the toy bulls to creep towards her before she turned her head and opened her mouth wide, in surprise, Eos did the same and the baby laughed, grabbing at her own and holding it out to her mater.

"You've done well with her" Darius said,

"Is that another compliment" Eos asked, still engaged in the little tussle the two toy bulls were now having, Iris giving it all she had, the look of pure concentration on her face making her look all the more adorable.

"Don't get used to it" Darius said, Eos smiled and then looked over at him, sighing,

"Have to enjoy it whilst it lasts, don't I" - she wouldn't be this small for long. Darius nodded as he looked to the floor, "you know, the waiting" Eos told him, "I don't know if I can do it much longer...",

"Don't lose yourself in the waiting" Darius said, "when it happens, it'll be quick, you need to be ready",

"I know" Eos said.

"I wonder how long it will take them to cross me off their list" Darius said, Eos looked over at him,

"You say it as if people wouldn't miss you" Eos said,

"Would they" Darius asked, Eos smiled,

"You're not that bad old man" Eos assured him, she turned to Iris, "he's not, is he", Iris waved her arm at her, dropping the bull and, looking a little disappointed with herself.

Darius smiled, "I'm sure others would disagree" he said, he leaned forward, Iris now offering him the bull instead, he took it, Iris proceeding to take Eos' bull from her,

"Thanks" Eos said as Iris turned to Darius, Eos smiled, "I'm sure he would but" she shrugged, "he's trying to be nice".

"I've always wondered what you saw in him" Darius said, Eos glanced over at him, wondering if this was another one of his ploys to make her leave.

Hell, Alexios had run off, of course it was.

"Have you seen how cute a baby he makes" Eos asked. Darius laughed, making even Iris look at him, confused as to what was so funny. Eos smiled and then looked at her.

"I love him Darius" Eos told him, "I always have and" she shrugged, "he's put up with me, through all of this",

"And he's almost left you too".

Definitely a ploy. She wondered if maybe Alexios was in on it too but, he'd given her no sign he wanted her to leave other than that self-loathing thing he found himself in every once in a while.

She couldn't count that.

"But he didn't" Eos said, "and now he can never get rid of us, can he" she said to Iris , who smiled behind the bull butt she was now chewing on. "Plus, he has more patience than you think".

"You're not that bad" Darius said. Eos smiled.

"Oh, Darius, I was, and I can be... the amount of things I do behind his back would make any other man go crazy. Yes, it only equates to putting myself in danger and nothing risque but, still" Eos shrugged, "and, I've seen things of him I can't explain but, I can deal with, forgive..." she sat back, "everything he's done, it always came back to us...".

"You understand him and, he understands you",

"I do, I always did. I think that, the way he is sometimes, makes it hard to explain because, other people don't get to see him the way I do and... call me selfish but, I never cared for the greater good, not really... I care for the people I care about... its easy to use the loss of innocents against someone who thinks their better than you but, it doesnt mean you care for them" Eos said, "and thats what makes us the same, in a way",

"You know when I said you weren't bad, I take it back" Darius said, Eos laughed,

"Life Darius, it takes us through many different paths but, we all end up the same, don't we",

'It does" Darius says, "and not all of them will do right by you",

"It is right now" Eos told him, "that has to be good enough", Eos looked to Alexios again,

"One day, you'll get hurt Eos, you won't be able to come back from it",

"The cult did far worse to me than he ever could Darius" Eos told him,

"Did he not almost kill you" Darius asked, "multiple times",

"He kept me prisoner once or twice but, he also let me go as well" Eos said, hell, he had more than enough times to kill her and he didn't.

"That doesn't make it better" he aimed the question towards Iris, who, looked as if she was getting very suspicious of the conversation but, was more because she was trying to poop.

"And each time it was because he was terrified" Eos told him, "he also had multiple other times he could have taken me but, he let me go instead" Eos told him, "he could have killed me. Could have let himself slip past the point of no return but, he didnt. Darius. He didn't... and... I can't let him go after that..."

"You can Eos, if thats what you really want" Darius said.

The thing is, it wasn't.

"When I was a kid, the thought of a simple life seemed boring as hell, it still does", Darius snorted, not sure whether to agree or not, "and with him, I'd never have to worry about having one... even now... with her... it would never be an option",

"Eos-",

"And I'm okay with that" Eos told him. "You know, I watched Chrysis turn a sweet little boy in to a monster. They didn't care how young you were before they started filling your head and your body with pain" she looked down at Iris - the thought of her going through the same was unbearable - "I saw how brave, how terrifed he was, I saw the fight he had with himself every second of the day, the whims he broke, the whims he didn't... and somehow, he still had enough of himself after it all to give us what we have of him now" Eos shrugged, "he may never be fully functional but, none of us are, not after everything".

"Because of you" Darius said,

"I could have been dead" Eos shrugged,

"You don't give yourself enough credit",

"No one else can fight the monster inside. We all have one, even she will, when she realises how much the world wants to take from her" Eos said, she took the bull from her, noticing the gnaw marks getting a little deeper, the babe still couldn't decide whether she was hungry or still had to poop.

Darius looked as if he was going to say more but, Eos shut him down.

"And Darius, I made up my mind a long time ago so, stop trying to convince me" she told him, "I am never going to let any order, or cult, take either of them away from me" she said..

Darius admired her enthusiasm, her determination but, still, "we don't always have that choice Eos".

It was then Alexios arrived back.

"Tell me where you've been" Eos said, "and don't even think of lying to me",

"I saw Kassandra" he said,

"Why-",

"Her face, her presence, its far too well known here" Darius said to her, "it's not safe",

"and you being here is" Eos asked,

"No one cares about a old man Eos" he told her.

Darius had then told them that the persians were scattered, that Amorges, from what rumours they'd heard, was still trying to gather up some men, a last ditch attempt at taking away the tainted from greece.

That night, they'd both laid there. Iris wriggling between them as they both watched. She was starting to get tired, her eyes getting heavy. Eos picked her up just before that, placing her in the crib next to them. It didn't take her long to fall asleep.

She'd glanced over at Alexios then, the man putting his hands behind his head as he looked up at the ceiling.

Again, thinking far too hard.

It was then that Eos clambered on top of him, Alexios pushing himself up so he could bump his head against hers. She felt one of his arms wrap around her back, pulling her closer as he toyed with her a little.

"I'm so scared" he said quietly,

"Me to". She let her fingers trace over the scars on his chest, feeling his own run down her back. They'd come along way since the beginning. She didn't know if she'd ever be able to truly get used to exploring so much of him so easily.

"Still" he said, he pulled at her lip with his teeth and she nudged him away. He smiled.

"It's ashame really" she said, he looked up at her,

"Why",

"You make quite cute kids", he pulled her closer,

"Aren't all babies supposedly cute",

"Better not let her hear you say that" Eos told him. She sat back a little and he let her go.

"I heard you talking to Darius" he said.

"You know when you said about Glaukos listening in that one time" she said,

"Uh huh", he pulled her closer again, their foreheads touching.

"Perhaps you should take your own advice" she leaned her head on his shoulder and he leaned his chin on her, his hand massaging the back of her head.

"I love you Eos" he said, she looked up at him,

"I love you too".

***

It didn't take them long to receive word of what to do next... it just wasn't from who they expected it to be.

Eos had opened the front door slowly, having heard someone behind it. But, who ever it had been was lost to her in the morning crowd of people. Except, what they'd left hadn't. A letter pushed half way under their door...

Eos had taken a deep breath before she'd read it.

Eos, you don't know me like I once wish you did but, what I am offering you, and your child, is something no mother would ever want to deny to their child.

The world is sick, twisted but, I strive for peace, for control over this twisted world we call home and, to do that, I need you. I need Iris.

I do not want to force your hand but, I must show you the truth of what you think you want. The chaos that brews will swallow you and your daughter whole and, I know, from experience, how terrible that can be.

Whatever your choice, it'll all come to an end soon and, I wish for you to be by my side when it does.

"Eos" Alexios said, "what is it".

She put her hand on her head, "a warning" she said quietly,

"Off who" he asked. She passed it to him. It wasn't signed but, she knew who it was. That first line...

"The Ghost" Eos said, "it has to be...".

Alexios read it over but, he had to read it twice...

"Their talking about me, aren't they",

"If they are, you've proved them wrong" Eos told him quickly.

"Eos...".

She couldn't deal with the self pity. Not now.

"Don't..." she told him - she hoped they were over this, "not again... Alexios... Deimos..." Eos shrugged, "they are always going to be a part of who you are... none of us are victims in this... none of us are innocent... except her... and, if you keep doing all you can to make sure she's safe... no matter what it might be... that doesn't make you anything more than her dad..."

"But I... Eos... don't you see... I'm the reason we're here... none of it would have happened if... if I wasn't a monster...".

"I'm just as much as one as you are" she told him. He didn't want to believe it... or he didn't want to remember... he wasn't sure which... he'd been naive, jealous... of something that hadn't been born yet... Iris could never take that feeling of guilt away, never fill that hole Eos had took... a hole he never knew he had... until it all came crashing down...

"You can be a monster and her father" Eos told him. This wasn't about what other people thought, how other people saw the world. Him, Iris, they were the two most important people in her life now and, she didn't care who she hurt, who she killed, to make sure that they were safe... that they had some ounce of happiness in their lives.

And the Gods be damned, if she had to run, she would, as long as it was with them.

***

Eos had been stood outside with Iris for only a small while. The babe got grouchy without sunlight and, it was quiet out, the markets at the end of the street holding on to most of the people.

Alexios was inside, the door open so Eos could call for him if something happened. He was sorting what was left of thier belongings. The letter had come just hours before and, they had to be ready to leave, be ready for what was about to come next.

Alexios had heard Iris start to cry, most likely a little hungry he'd thought but then, it stopped. Suddenly. Quickly. Too quick. Alexios felt the vomit in the back of his throat. The thought of it. Throwing himself through the door and in to the street, his worse fear had come true. They were gone.

***

Thank you for reading and being so patient! I almost  made this in to one very, long chapter but, decided against it! The last one is written and just needs some editing so, should be out before the end of the week! Hopefully sooner!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.6K 863 28
TO BE EDITED. *** Eris Belladonna was a child born the same day as God's prophecy. She was blessed with beauty and an immense amount of divinity that...
4.9K 243 18
・❥・ She thought maybe she was okay with being wicked. That she was so angry, so desperately, bitterly livid. She thought perhaps there were pieces of...
348K 8.7K 37
He saved them. He loved them. Cared for them. A hero like this should be treated with respect. However his only reward was betrayal. His name is Iota...
115K 4.7K 36
Alexandra Williams doesn't like the idea of staying in a house cooking, cleaning, and sewing all day; so she leaves her home and runs into two men dr...