Ladders of Love | The Tudors

By danysxthrone

Being in the King's court is a game. For each ladder you climb, there is a snake around the corner that can... More

prologue
cast
moodboards
soundtrack
Starry-eyed
Goodbye, for now
By Chance
New Beginnings
Reacquainted
Hungry Eyes
Foreign
UPDATE!

First Encounters

4.2K 106 3
By danysxthrone

8th June 1520

"Is the Queen really as beautiful as they say? I can't wait to see her." Anne asks, excitement running through her voice, grabbing Arabelle's arm.

She chuckles in response to Anne's enthusiasm of the English royals. "It's been seven years Anne, I barely remember what my own Father looks like, never mind the Queen of England."

The two girls had been joined at the hip ever since their first meeting seven years ago. Though there was a small age gap of four years between them, they were one and the same.

"All I know is that Catherine is much older than King Henry, I believe it's by six years and though they have..."

Arabelle was cut off by Lady Burgh, The Governess. She was a tall woman with dark hair, dark eyes and a dark soul. Well, that's what she and Anne thought.

"If you two continue to gossip then I will report to both of your Lord Father's about your inappropriate behaviour." This wouldn't be the first time Lady Burgh had threatened the two girls.

Both sniggered before forming a smile, keeping their mouths closed.

       ■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■ ■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

Thomas Boleyn was the French ambassador so he rode alongside King Francis I. Arabelle's Uncle Edward was the highest nobleman in England and her Father also had a good enough status to ride beside King Henry. Arabelle couldn't help but notice the handsome man riding on the left side of Henry, he was tall, dressed in velvet with beautiful blue eyes she could spot a mile off. Charles Brandon. She remembered his name, he was married to the King's sister, Princess Margaret but she had heard rumours of their unhappy marriage and choice to live separately. Arabelle wondered why, the Princess was always so kind and so beautiful.

"I've never seen the English look so exotic." Anne whispers to her, snapping Arabelle from her thoughts of Brandon. She was right. They were all dressed up in fur and feathers like wild animals. Arabelle scanned the crowd, spotting the Queen a little behind, but she looked hard for her favourite cousin, however she was no where to be seen. She had recognised a few of her other cousins, just not Anna.

Both Kings met, horses facing one another. You could feel the animosity between the two blowing through the cool winds of Calais. Both men too bold and too proud.

"Cousin." Henry states, a wave of his hand.

"Cousin." Francis bluntly replies.

"After you." Henry gestures for Francis to ride ahead.

"No. After you." Francis disagrees.

This was a childish game, Arabelle thought, though she wouldn't say aloud. Both men suddenly erupt in laughter, causing Arabelle to roll her eyes.
The King's eventually made their way through the entrance, erupting in laughter at ridiculous jokes they made to one another. Was this really peace?

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■ ■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

Anne and Arabelle soon departed from one another to find their families amongst the crowds, though it was certain it would not be long before they were back at each other's side like glue. Arabelle had previously seen her Father by the King's side and wondered how his status had change in the last seven years, to be by the King's side, surely a massive privilege. 

"My you've grown." A recognisable voice calls from behind her, making her stop in her tracks.

"Papa?" She calls, turning around with a large grin, running to him.

"What a beauty you've become!" Henry Stafford beams with pride, embracing her. His daughter, his only child, was now grown. "I see that France has had its charms on you." A smirk forms on his mouth, looking at the french style dress she was wearing.

"And I see that you are in the King's favours?" She questions, brows raised strongly. "I suppose a lot has change since I was just a little girl."

"You are still a little girl, Arabelle. My little girl." Henry assures her. "And yes, King Henry has just recently anointed me as a member of the Privy Council." His voice and face presented a proud man.

"I am so happy for you Papa." She grins widely, hugging him once more.

"Brother. Niece." Edward Stafford appears beside the two, towering over both. His voice was stern, and  his face looked angry but as far back as Arabelle could remember, his face was always representing anger. She wondered why he was always so haughty.

"Uncle Edward." Arabelle releases from her Father and curtsies before her kin. The proper English crusty, not the provocative French one. She knew he would have something to say.

"You look like a Frenchwoman." He states. His eyes scanned over her red and gold embroidered dress, which was made in the French style. A pearl cross buried in her chest due to the low neckline.

"She has been in France for the last seven years Edward." Henry intervenes. "What do you expect?"

"My Father is right, Uncle." Arabelle tries to keep her temper. "I was told that I should make friends with the French and that's exactly what I did." Her chest felt heavy, she didn't want any conflict this early on.

"You are not French." Edward simply states. "You are a Stafford. Act like it. Enough of the false illusion."

"Where is Anna?" Arabelle ignores all that is said before. She didn't want to be lectured. She wanted to know where her cousin was. "All my other cousins are here beside her."

Arabelle noticed Edward's change in stature as he swallowed his tongue. Edward and Henry both made eye contact briefly. She knew something was wrong. "She has brought us Stafford's shame."

"W-What..do..How?" Arabelle couldn't quite get her words together. She looked between her Father and Uncle. They knew something she didn't. She couldn't believe it. What did he mean by shame? Was it really that bad? She knew how serious Edward could be.

"This is all you need to know, Arabelle." Her father reassures her. "Now go and enjoy yourself."

Arabelle nodded, walking away to go find Anne or anyone else she would recognise. She glanced back at her Father and Uncle, still in heavy discussion. She couldn't focus. She wanted to know what was going on. She had spent her whole childhood with Anna. They were best friends and cousins until she was shipped away to France. She wondered if she would've stayed in England then maybe none of this catastrophe would've happened.

"Somebody looks lost." Arabelle looks up, millimetres away from him. Charles Brandon. The one with the blue eyes. "You ought to be more careful. We could have both been injured." His mouth formed to a wolffish grin.

"I..oh..I.." For once in her life, Arabelle Stafford was lost for words. She struggled to even form words, nevermind a sentence. She had never been this way in her life, especially not in front of a man.

"You...uh?" The man teases, still grinning.

"I am sorry." She quickly pulls herself together, her posture regaining its stability. "I should be more careful. Though, so should you. You may get a reputation if you continue allowing girls to run into you like I just."

"Oh trust me. I already have one." Arabelle wasn't sure if his charm made her want to kiss him or punch him. Or both.

"Brandon, are you ready?" A smaller blonde haired man calls, walking up to the Duke. He also grins when he sees Arabelle stood before him and Charles, looking her up and down. "Sorry, My Lady." He apologises.

"No need for apologies." A forced smile appears on her lips. "Good day." She bows a little before leaving the two.

"Who is that?" Charles grins again, wide eyes at William.

"I believe Charles, that is Arabelle Stafford."

"Stafford? Edward has another daughter?" Charles frowns, shaking his head. Edward did produce very attractive children.

"No. She is the only child of Henry." William corrects.

"You'd know. You know the Staffords very well." Charles smirks. "I didn't know Henry had a daughter." His eyes were fixed to the back of her as she walked across the field. Arabelle Stafford.

Arabelle continued walking, she knew it was almost time for the feast but she wanted to find Anne. She needed to tell her about everything that had happened today so far.

"Arabelle, there you are!" As if by magic, the dark haired beauty appeared, looking flushed and breathless.

"I've been looking for you, Anne!"

"Have you heard about your cousin?" Anne asks cautiously. She also knew. Who else knew?

"Anna. She is not here." Arabelle simply replies.

"I know." Anne gently takes her arm, "I have heard some awful news."

"What is it?" Arabelle felt sick, but also hurt. A mixture of the two emotions. How did everybody else know about her families affairs before herself?

"She..well they say she let a man visit her bedchamber." Anne started, "It is a friend of the Kings."

Arabelle's stomach hurt. No wonder Uncle Edward didn't want to tell her. She didn't realise Anna was this kind of girl. Perhaps it was all a misunderstanding. She wanted to believe her dear cousin wasn't like those other girls. "Do you know who, Anne?"

"I believe I do. So I've been told." Anne nods.

"Did someone see them?..what happened?..I..who was it?"

"I heard her nose bled for a week." Anne avoided the questions, building the story in her own time but this wasn't a time for gossip. It was time for someone to tell Arabelle what was really going on. "Apparently your Uncle walked in them...in the act."

Arabelle gasped slightly in shock. She just couldn't believe it.

"Who was it?" Arabelle's voice was cold and angry. Her thoughts went back to her earlier encounter with Charles Brandon "Oh trust me. I already have one." It wasn't him, was it? Somewhere deep down she hoped it wasn't. Her hands tensed.

"I believe it was..."

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■ ■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

A/N:
So do we have any ideas of the mystery man that 'ruined' Anna's reputation?
My first official and proper chapter of this story. I more or less have this story planned out until the ending of season three (it's not ending there tho, quick disclaimer!) and I'm so excited to write it for you. I love the character of Arabelle, she's not the perfect character like Adelina (from my got fic) she's troublesome, manipulative and likes to get what she wants but deep down she's a good person. You haven't seen much of that yet but TRUST ME, you will! Hopefully I'll be starting to update more regularly in the next few weeks. I've also finished The Tudors series officially now so I know the whole plot of the show. X

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Live Again By TudorRose

Historical Fiction

67.8K 1.5K 20
It is the reign of Henry VIII and Jane Seymour and just 1 month ago, Anne Boleyn was beheaded. She comes back to life but nobody knows who she is.
37.5K 1.1K 71
You think you know a story, but you only know how it ends. To get to the heart of the story, you have to go back to the beginning. 👑 Madeline Brando...
521K 10.8K 71
Victoria Cambridge, the daughter of the Duke of Cambridge was brought to Hampton Court to distract the King from another miscarriage from his wife Ca...
20K 267 19
The story of the Boleyn Children as they face a time of great danger in the court of King Henry VIII. (Based loosely on Phillipa Gregory's 'the other...