They Don't Know About Us

Od superstar-striker

To everyone else it seems like Elliot Griffin is living the dream. She is living out her dream playing profes... Viac

|1|
|2|
|3|
|4|
|5|
|6|
|8|
|9|
|10|
|11|
|12|
|13|
|14|
|15|
|16|
|17|
|18|
|19|
|20|
|21|
|22|
|23|
|24|
|25|
|26|
|27|
|28|
|29|
|30|
|31|
|32|
|33|
|34|
|35|
*IMPORTANT*
|36|
|37|
|38|
|39|
|40|
|41|
|42|
|43|
|44|
|45|
|46|
|47|
|48|
|49|
|50|
|51|
|52|
|53|
|54|
|55|
|56|
|57|
|58|
|59|
|60|
|61|
|62|
|63|
|64|
|65|
|66|
The End...
|65| Final Chapter

|7|

13.6K 219 37
Od superstar-striker

I limp back to my room early this morning. I met up with the physio, whose name I learned is Dave, and Jill before breakfast to see if we could do anything about my ankle or if it was possible for me to play today. Sadly the result is the same.

I can't play against Ireland today

So I trudge back to my room not in the greatest of moods. I walk into the room careful not to wake up Mal if she is still asleep. But she wasn't even in the room. I groan and flop onto my bed. All this work only be injured right before my international debut. I sigh and grab my phone. I haven't told anyone back in England yet. I guess I was holding out hoping I would be better this morning.

I dial Daan's number wait at it rings. "Hey Ellie! How are you? Excited for your game tomorrow?". I wince at how excited she sounded. Everyone back in England knew I was getting my start in the game against Ireland and were excited to watch my debut.

Now I have to tell them I'm not playing anymore.

"Daan..." I sigh through the phone. "Hey what's up Ellie? What's wrong?" She asks down the phone. "I can't play tomorrow" I whisper down the phone. "What do you mean? Of course you can" she says confused. "No Daan, not like that. Someone tackled my ankle yesterday at training and now it's sprained. I'm out for 2 weeks" I explain on the verge of tears. "Oh Ellie. I'm so sorry. I know how hard you worked to get your starting position" she whispers through the phone. I huff and nod, "Yeah. Look I have to go. Just said I would tell you the news". "Okay Ellie. Call me if you need anything okay?". I say a quick goodbye before hanging up. I just lie on my back staring at the ceiling and I just start bawling. I just think back on all the time and effort I out into making it this far. All the missed parties and losing friends because I had to go to training instead of hanging out with them. All that done down the drain because of one injury.

I don't know how long I was lying there but it must have been for a while because I hear the door open and close. The bed dips beside me and someone hug me. So the two of us lie there, them holding me while I cry into their shoulder clinging onto them like a lifeline. After I calm down I pulled away and rubbed my eyes, "Thanks Christen". She just smiles and rubs my back assuringly, "It's okay Elliot".  "This sucks". "It's just a sucky situation". I chuckle at the red stars player, "How did you even get in here?". "Well Tobin was worried about you, but then Jill wanted to talk to her. So I said I would check on you and got Mal's key" she explains. I nod and played with her necklace. She sighs, "Look Elliot, I know it sucks that you can't play today, but you will get your start soon". "How do you know that Jill isn't going to drop me?" I worry. Christen holds my face and looks directly at me, "Elliot. She will not drop you. She knows how good you are and would be insane to drop you. Also I think there would be an uprising in the team if she dropped you". We both laugh at the thought of an unchill Tobin going off at Jill. "Thanks Chris" I say. "No problem Ellie". I just smile and nuzzle my face into her neck as she ran her hands through my hair. It reminded me of how my mom used to do that when something was bothering me. It helped me calm down a lot.

And for a bliss moment, I forgot the world around me.

................

"This sucks! We were supposed to be making our debuts together!". I look up from my phone to see Mal pouting at me as she gets ready for the match we have to leave for soon. My gaze softens as I look at the girl who's become my best friend in the little time I've known her, "I know. It sucks, but your going to make your international debut and your going to kill it". "But we promised we would make our debut together!" She whines. I smile at the memory.

Flashback
Mal and I were in an ice bath after a long training. We did mostly running and fitness and it was safe to say most of the team were dead by the end of it. "I'm deadddd. I can't feel anything" Mal moans beside me. I nod grunting moving my legs in the water, "Yeah I pretty much dropped after all that running Dawn made us do". "I did drop". I laugh at the girl beside me, "But think how worth it, it will be when all this work pays off and we make our international debut". Mal hums beside me, "Yeah". Mal tilts her head looking directly at me, "We're going to make a promise right here. We're going to make our debut together and we're going to crush it". Mal holds up her pinkie to me looking at me expectantly. I grin and entwine our pinkies, "Promise!"

"Elliot!". I snap out of my daze. I look up and Mal is looking at me, "Sorry what was that?". Mal's eyebrows furry together looking concerned, "Ellie are you okay?". I try and put on a smile, "Yeah I'm fine Mal". She doesn't look convinced, "I'm sorry you can't play today. It really isn't fair that McCaffrey was the one who injured you and she gets to play and you don't". That's been bothering me as well, I found out it was McCaffrey who tackled me and she didn't seem very sorry about it. Her and Hinkle always seem to be off by themselves away from the team. And they both don't seem very fond of me. Oh and

McCaffrey is starting in my position tonight

I shrug, "There's nothing I can do about it. But your just going to have to score a goal for me". Mal's smile returns, "Definitely". I grin and wrap my sling my arm around Mal's shoulder. And with that we headed out to kick Ireland's ass.

..............

I was sitting on the bench beside Mal. She was going in for Alex in a few minutes and every since then you could tell she would nervous. She was biting her thumb nail and she was bouncing her leg excessively since Jill told her. I sigh and put my hand on her leg stopping it from bouncing, "Look Mal your going to do great. Just calm down and play your game. Your going to crush it". Mal stops biting her nail and smiles, "Thanks Ellie". Jill motions to Mal and she gets up and takes off her bib. Kelley who is also going in is standing beside her probably give her encouragement. Everyone starts to clap at Alex and Mal's numbers appears on the board. Alex jogs over to the lone and hugs Mal before taking her seat beside me. Alex sips her water and slings an arm around me, "Hey kid". "Hey great game" i compliment sharing my blanket with her. "Would have been better with you out there?". "Hopefully next time". "Next time so". We smile at each other before continuing to watch the game.

We watch the match and at one point christen is running up the wing. Mal is running in on goals giving her an option. Chris crosses the ball and Mal heads the ball past the goalkeeper. Mal runs to Christen and hugs her. At the bench we are all up on our feet celebrating Mal's first international goals. The team on the pitch swarmed Mal, hugging her and patting her on the back. As the team starts jogging back to their half to reset for kickoff, Mal looks at me. She holds up one finger and winks.

Looks like she scored a goal for me

I smile and I hold up one finger returning the gesture. Soon the match was over with us winning over Ireland. When the match was finished I went straight to Mal tackling her in a hug, "A goal on your first cap! That's amazing Mal!". "Well I promised you a goal didn't I" she teases. We went around shaking hands with the Irish players. We then took a bit of time going around to to fans taking pictures and signing stuff for them. Mal and a few others got pulled away for an interview. The rest of us went back into the changing room to change. I didn't have to change so I just sat and talked to some of the girls as they got ready. But the TV caught my attention. It showed Mal's interview and as always she had a big smile plastered on her face.

"So a goal on your debut, how do you feel after winning your international debut?" "Well it's great. It's been a dream to play on the women's national team since I was little and to score was just incredible. Yeah it's great".

"We noticed that after your goal when you were jogging back for kickoff. You looked towards the sub bench and held up one finger to someone. Who was it and why?" "Well I got called up the same time as Elliot Griffin".

"The 17 year old Arsenal player?" "Yeah". "Do we sense a bit of rivalry here?". Mal laughs and shakes her head, "No well yes. We're best friends, but we always want to on up each other in training you know?"

"So was that celebration gloating that you got your debut first? Or your first international goal?" "No no not at all. Elliot was the first person I met at camp. And she was a huge part to helping me transition and  settle into the team. Honestly I don't think I would have made it through camp without Elliot. She's becoming a sister to me".

"Well thank you and congrats on you game today" "Thank you". And with that the interview was over. I waited a few minutes before Mal walks into the dressing room. I boot from my chair and hug her which she happily returns, "I watched your interview". "I meant every word. Your like a sister to me Ellie" she whispers to me. I smile and pull away, "Your stuck with me now Pugh."

"We're family"

................

"Ellie! Open!" I look up and pass the ball to Daan who buries it in the back of the net. It's been around a month since the January camp. When I came back I rested my ankle and it healed without any problems. Even after 2 weeks Joe didn't play me for the next match just as a precaution just to make sure. But now I'm back at it currently in the middle of training. "Nice goal" I say clapping Daan on the back. "Nice assist" she winks. I laugh as we reset. I was excited to be back. Especially because there was another camp soon and Jill already called me about it. Only one problem.

The friendly is against Canada

Everyone knows how big the rivalry is between the US and Canada is. And the match is always tough and physical. So a great match to have my first international debut in right?

Yeah I'm going to be destroyed

"So you ready to make your international debut?" Lisa asks as walk towards the benches. "Against fricken Canada of all teams!" I groan. "Language!" Viv and Daan shout from behind me. I roll my eyes before I throw both of them a look, "Okay Viv I understand but Daan don't act like I haven't heard you curse out refs and players before". The team laugh as Daan starts to chase me while I run towards Leah and Beth, "Help crazy lady trying to attack me!". The both chuckle as I jump onto Leah who catches me. Meanwhile Beth stop Daan and picks her up, "No attacking Ellie before her big debut". "Put me down!" Daan shouts as she tries to wiggle out of Beth's grasp but is unsuccessful. "Nope" Beth says. Leah and I laugh as we follow them as Daan still struggles in Beth's arms. After a while Beth couldn't put up with Daan's squirming so she eventually threw her over her shoulder. Daan started complaining and hitting Beth's back. I snort at the pair, "Don't act as if you don't love the view Daan!".

And with that I hop out of Leah's arms as the pair chased me around the pitch.

....................

"How you feeling kid?". I glance over my shoulder to see Tobin behind me. I shrug and continued to stare at the TV. It was talking about the game today against Canada. The whole camp Jill was harping on about how important it was not to lose to Canada.

No duh

The commentators we talking about the match lineups and a huge topic of conversation was my starting position. "So today we get to see the Arsenal Wonder Kid Elliot Griffin start today, how we feeling about this?" "Well it's safe to say she performs at club level. She is constantly competing with Vivianne Miedema for new records and you have to remember she's only 17 years old, but international is a whole other ball game". "Well Jill Ellis must have some confidence in this kid to be starting her in such a big match. The Canada and US match is always one to watch and is always one of the more physical and controversial games. Talk about throwing the kid into the deep end". "Well this match could make or break her international career".

I was so focused on the TV that I didn't even notice my leg was bouncing so much until Tobin had to physically stop my leg, "Ellie calm down. Your going to be fine". "Toby my first game with the national team is against Canada one of the toughest teams out there" I sigh. "So what? It's doesn't matter who your playing. You just play your game. Your just going to psyche yourself out if you keep thinking like that". I run a hand through my hair and sigh, "I know. I just...I just want to do well. Everyone thinks it's insane to play me in such a big match and I don't want everyone to think Jill made a mistake starting me". Tobin just gives me her signature smile, "So do what you do best. Prove them wrong". I smile and hug the Portland star, "Thanks Toby". "No problem kid".

Soon we were on a bus. Everyone was getting focused for the match and just sitting quietly listening to their music. I think everyone could see how nervous and jumpy I was because Christen sat beside me which surprised everyone seeing as she always sat beside Tobin. But instead she sat beside me and no words were exchanged as she just held my left hand and rubbed her thumb over my knuckles soothingly. I smile slightly and nestle my head on her shoulder and tried to match her breathing.

I kinda blanked for awhile after. And before I knew I was walking back into the dressing room after our warm up. Alex and Kelley stuck to my side leading up to the match. I vaguely remember glancing over at the Canadians side as they warm up only to be met with stares and glares off some of the players. I was standing in my locker looking at the jersey in front of me.

My jersey #3 Griffin

I run my fingers over the badge. Ever since I could remember I always dreamed of player for my country, playing alongside my idols. All the work has paid off and now I'm here. I pulled on the jersey and retied my laces. I then wrapped tape around around my right wrist and grab a marker and wrote my parents names on the tape. It helps remind me who got me into soccer and I think of it as a way to keep them close on the pitch. I started doing it at Arsenal and it stuck ever since. Once I was done I closed my eyes and sat in my locker preparing for the match but it wasn't long until I felt someone beside me. I open my eyes to see Kelley smiling at me, "You okay kid?". I just nod silently back at her. She puts her hands on my shoulders, "Look kid your going to do great. Just focus on your game and ignore everyone else". I smile and hug the squirrel, "Thanks Kel". "No problem, now let's go kick some Canada ass!".

We walked out to the tunnel and I see a few Canadian players there. I see Christine Sinclair joking with Tobin and a see a girl around my age wearing the number 17 standing beside them. Before I could talk to them we were told to line up. I was behind Hope and in front of Becky. I could feel Becky hug me from behind, "Your going to do great kid". "Thanks Becky". I stare straight ahead focusing on the match. Hope started to walk out in front of me so I followed.

Time to make my international debut.

Hey guys! Sorry it took me so long to update. Between Christmas and New Year's I didn't get much chance to write and I also got a bit of tough news that really sucked for me and knocked me down a bit. But hopefully you liked the update and hopefully I'll get one more in before I'm back to school. Until new time, bye!

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

60.8K 1.6K 19
Where Emily Sonnett is haunted by the memories of Victoria Young and can't get over her.
58.6K 1.1K 18
Just my gay ass writing about hot women with all respect
206K 4K 75
Emma have a pretty dark and complicated past. Love never goes her way, parents never existed and being bullied. But what will happen when she get a c...
115K 2.2K 28
Aleid van Alstine has been representing the Netherlands since she was seventeen, kickstarting her career at nearby club FC Twente, before moving to G...