Help Me Remember (COMPLETED)

By LadyPeaceAndWar

What do you do when you wake up pregnant and without memories? I woke up after the car accident unable to rec... More

FOREWORD
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8 Part 1
Chapter 8 Part 2
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12 Part 1
Chapter 12 Part 2
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20 Part 1
Chapter 20 Part 2
Chapter 21 Part 1
Chapter 21 Part 2
Chapter 22 Part 1
Chapter 22 Part 2
Chapter 23
Chapter 24 Part 1
Chapter 24 Part 2
Chapter 25 Part 1
Chapter 25 Part 2
Chapter 26
Chapter 27 Part 1
Chapter 27 Part 2
Chapter 28 Part 1
Chapter 28 Part 2
Chapter 29 Part 1
Chapter 29 Part 2
Chapter 30
Chapter 31 Part 1
Chapter 31 Part 2
Chapter 32
Chapter 33 Part 1
Chapter 33 Part 2
Chapter 34 Part 1
Chapter 34 Part 2
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39 Part 1
Chapter 39 Part 2
Chapter 40 Part 1
Chapter 40 Part 2
Chapter 41
Chapter 42 Part 1
Chapter 42 Part 2
Chapter 43
Bonus Chapter which I don't know where to put
Q and A
Coming Soon
2022 Update

Epilogue

55.9K 1.1K 297
By LadyPeaceAndWar

This is the end of the book but not of the story. If you know what I mean. I was an extremely frustrated person when I started this book. And honestly, I'd plotted the story a little more different in my head. But now that I'm calmer, the ending I'd originally plotted is not how I want to end the book. That would be so wrong in a thousand levels.

I know I'm not making sense right now. Haha. But this is me thanking everyone who'd been a part of my looooong journey of writing HMR. I love you guys!

The Present

Just like that, I was back inside that Bentley. Sitting shotgun next to the man I had foolishly married.

Whether it was at childhood, eighteen months ago and... now. I still could not escape the monster.

How I hated myself for that. How my blood boiled. How much fury could run in the veins of a woman whose eyes had been fleeced over by empty promises and my own naivety.

And in the grandest scheme of things, I had to be pregnant too.

Damn it, why now?

My insides felt frozen at the string of memories, my skin burning at all the sudden feeling assaulting my sense all at once. The contrast in sensations spinning my already cracked open head.

Stupid, stupid Scarlett.

It was a crash. Everything coming back at me like this. The memories. The feelings. The hate, never-ending, spiraling higher and higher, that I'd harbored the whole time I was with him.

In a way, it was unfunny—I couldn't fight back. I couldn't run. And I was back to square one. Always falling into his waiting hands as if my whole existence was one slippery slope where he stood and waited at the bottom of it all.

But in the months that I had been with him, I learned a few things. It was almost automatic response for me now. To hide all emotions so none showed on my face, in my actions. To pleasantly, if not blankly, stare back at my husband so all my thoughts were hidden from. I wasn't letting him know I'd regained my memories. He shouldn't know.

When everything was a weapon against you, you're forced to pick up a few trickeries... hold on to whatever trump card that managed to slip within your reach.

And if this ace is the amnesia, I was willing to use it to the full extent of my meager capabilities. I would. I had to. I wasn't going to hesitate anymore.

Even as I'd gathered everything in my power to smoothen my expression, it took one look at him and my resolve took a step back.

Zachary... Zachary Christopher Harrington.

Those blue eyes seemingly looking me over with worry. I always found I couldn't hold that gaze without wanting to believe it as is. My poorly judging eyes needed something else to look at.

Scarlett, stop being so naïve. There was nothing to believe here.

I had earlier clutched his arm. My eyes fell to that. Why was I such a circus monkey? How was it that he had trained me so well in the last two weeks to run to him for cover when he held the gun?

"Red?" That nickname scraped at my ears. I couldn't raise my chin to meet those eyes lest he saw how livid I actually was.

And it happened, his hand raised as if to touch my hand on his sleeve. It was quick, how I hastily snatched back my hand and drew back before I could help myself. Because I did not want his touch. The most revolting thing in this world.

Zachary noticed. He tensed, "Red? What's wrong?"

I hated it. Why did the concern freely flow into his words? Why was his mask sculpted to be so... so genuine it was believable?

"What do you get out of marrying me?"

His smile reached his glowing blue eyes.

"You."

My heart squeezed. My head, it hurt again and I wanted to vomit every single word I'd ever heard.

It was a sickness, it seemed. Because I knew deep inside, that I was somewhat clinging to those words no matter what I saw, what I knew. It was weak to admit, but I idiotically wished for the plot twist—that maybe... maybe what? That he would mean it? How cute of me.

Right before my chest exploded from hurt, it seemed to be overcome with anger again. Steeling itself in impenetrable armor. And I held on to that. I held on to that devouring emotion and pushed back that irrational hurt.

He is the enemy, Scarlett.

I knew the truth now, I was a pawn from the start. And now that my father was gone... time was running out for me if I didn't make my move now. And there was this baby too. It wasn't just me anymore. My child did not deserve this. Running, I knew now, would be futile. Zachary would always be on my heels. And as I looked at the rearview mirror again, I saw Chairman Harrington.

The anger skyrocketed. The coil over the hurt tightening.

That was right. This was the reason Zachary married me. The reason he would not let me go. And probably never... at least not until he's milked me dry for all I was worth. And now that daddy was gone...

I needed to take up my spot and save myself now.

I wasn't a genius like my father was. I knew my limits. And if I couldn't wrestle my fortune out of their greedy hold, no one was having it. Especially not these lowlife Harringtons. Especially not Steve Harrington—not Zachary.

My thoughts paused at the movement I saw on the rearview mirror.

There was someone coming out of the passenger side of the BMW. My heartrate sped up. At the sight of the person, I was scrambling out of the car. I didn't even hear Zachary calling my name as I ran to the back of the Bentley to see him.

The older man was someone I'd known my whole life.

"Chris," subconsciously, I'd already called to him. I watched his shoulders tense before the man whipped around to look me in the face.

Eyes widened at the sight of me as if he'd seen a ghost. There were streaks in his hair, wrinkles in that kind face.

"Miss Noble," he replied as if almost instantaneously. He seemed to still be programmed as my father's right-hand man. I'd missed the familiar sight of that ever-serious secretary dad had.

Chris's gaze held questions and worries he would not vocalize in public. It was that look he used to give me when I was younger before he pulled me aside and berated me on my father's behalf.

"Mrs. Harrington," came the sharp correction and we both looked to the direction of Steve Harrington who glared in Chris's direction.

My father's secretary suddenly composed himself and bowed slightly in his direction.

"Chairman," Chris acknowledged before clearing his throat. "But of course, she is Mrs. Harrington now. My apologies."

And our moment was gone as he pulled on a professional mask and gave ear to Steve Harrington.

Something inside of me cracked as I watched the exchange. Because my father's most trusted person now showed loyalty for a new master. And it pained me that there really was nothing left of my father's grasp over the company he'd built his whole lifetime. Someone else had their hands on it now.

My back straightened. I wanted to raise an eyebrow and laugh at the mockery they'd made of my father's legacy. They had taken over everything, hadn't they?

And suddenly, Zachary was beside me, putting an arm—as if protectively—over my shoulders and stepping slightly in front of me. I immediately wanted to shrug it off, disgusted at this prolonged acting he insisted on continuing.

"Why are you here?" at his tone, I looked up at that chiseled face. His whole demeanor was tense and he was unsmiling.

It was these things. How he kept up this roleplaying for so long that made me hesitate. If I didn't know what I knew now... I would keep falling for the same trick. I had to drill and re-drill the facts in my head— they were all part of the same team. They were all Harringtons. And I was the final obstacle to what they were trying to achieve—steal.

Chairman Harrington took a step forward and Zachary pushed me back. But I didn't want to step back anymore. I wanted to see what he was going for. I had an advantage they all did not know and there was a sudden drive fueling the hate.

I remember everything now.

This time no running away—Scarlett Noble was going to play as a true Noble now.

"I came to see my... daughter-in-law." Steve Harrington's calculating stare bore into my person. My face took to playing innocent at once and I blinked back at him before slowly turning to take in Zachary's expression.

"Well you've already seen her," Zach answered tightly. The actor that he was made me want to clap. Instead, I was starting to take on the role of a new actress ready to top his performance.

"Yes," my father-in-law quipped, still looking me over as if I was a specimen under his microscope, "You seem very... well, Scarlett."

I smiled slightly, stepping a bit closer to Zachary and clutching his arm. This made my husband pause, looking me over worriedly. The wheels in my head turned and I realized he didn't suspect a thing either.

Wonderful.

"I—I was in an accident, Chairman. So I don't..." I apologetically tilted my head to the side.

Steve Harrington took longer convincing than his son did. But when he finally smiled, it was as if in triumphant glee, "Never mind that, child. I just wanted to make sure you're comfortable considering the present... circumstances." His attention shifted to Zachary, "Is she recovering well from the... amnesia?"

"Dad," there was a warning tone from Zachary. A silent conversation passed between them and I waited.

Steve Harrington smiled wryly, "I'm simply making sure your wife is comfortable, son." He whipped back to me, "You would tell us should you want or need anything, I hope?"

My ears twitched at his words but I held my mask in place. Zach's eyes were boring into my face and I had to play this well.

So I shook my head, "I'm sure there would be no need for that, sir. I wouldn't want to bother you."

Because what I needed—wanted, I could only take by my own hands. And I doubt the enemy would want to help me with that.

Steve Harrington laughed. I didn't know what that was for. "You could ask Chris if you do not want to bother me. I'm sure you'd be more comfortable with him."

I looked to Chris at the mention of him. And admittedly, I wished things turned out a little differently.

Chris cleared his throat, "Mrs. Harrington."

I didn't want him to call me that but I nodded in acknowledgement.

"Hello, Chris." I paused, carefully mouthing the next words, "I'm back now."

When I looked up, Zachary was staring at me intensely. Those blue eyes were unreadable.

This was the man who'd perfectly toyed with my emotions.

I gave him faux reassurance with a brilliant smile. This time, I was going to make sure he bought every second of it.

This was just the start for me. Because there was no running away anymore. And there was no way I was losing the game to this man and his fraud of a family.

~End of Book One

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171 15 15
The life i was living was chose for me. I went from having an normal life to finding out that I had a mate and would soon have a baby. Life was a who...
401K 12.5K 33
I've dreamed of the perfect marriage ever since I was a little girl: a marriage complete with a hardworking husband while I tended to the home and ou...
27.9K 1.1K 47
~"You don't- you don't need me." I stared in shock. This was the first shred of emotion he'd shown since he started avoiding me, and I had no idea ho...
90.1K 1.9K 38
When the love of his life crashes at a Formula One race, Charles rushes to the hospital only to have to wait for a couple of days and nights for her...