Twisted Web of Truths

By eternalsun_

An eighteenth birthday went wrong. That was when everything in Ethan Addams' life started to go awry. A key t... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Twelve

4 0 0
By eternalsun_

"You've got everything?" his mother leans against the doorway, a worried expression flits across her face before she manages to get ahold of her emotions.

"Yeah." Ethan pats the duffel bag beside him as he patiently waits for his phone to charge up with jittery feet. He couldn't believe his parents agreed to this. It's been a while since Aiden Kent and the Elites came to their house. It was just last night, but still, why are they suddenly so keen to agree that soon?

He doesn't understand though, why Elite-One requests a one-on-one talk with his father right after that. And when they came out, why had his father looked like he bathed in the holy water—his face shining as if God has made himself known to men. Whatever that was, it solidifies his father's decision.

Sure, he trusts his parents' judgments but this is uncharted territories, hell, everything involving him is uncharted territories. Deep, deep down, Ethan felt an inkling feeling to trust Elite-One and her missing partner, Elite-Four, who was doing perimeter check above ground. Or so they've been told.

"Good." Mara nods. She made herself comfortable by sitting on the bed beside him. There was an unknown cautious emotion flashing behind her hazel eyes. She sighs sadly as the voices down below grew louder.

"You can't, dad! Why am I going with him? I have my whole life right here. You can't just take it away like that!"

Outside, Ethan's heart hammered. Upset would be an understatement. Cole was angry at the choice his parents had made. Both of them thought it'd be best to send Cole along with him so he's not going to be alone to wherever it is the Elites are taking them.

"It's always Ethan this, Ethan that, doesn't it?" a bittersweet laugh escapes Cole's mouth, echoing throughout the entire house. "I don't get a f**king say about this. I never get a goddamned say in everything."

"That's not true, son," their father argues.

"Don't call me 'son'." Cole spat. "All you care about is him, isn't it? Everything we did was to 'protect' someone who isn't even your real son! He was the reason we moved here, wasn't he?!"

"Cole—"

"I had enough."

Ethan hears a door slam and not long after, the front door slamming. He didn't hear the sound of a car so his brother must've left on foot. He glances at his mother, someone who maybe was a stranger six years ago but still worthy of the name she bears. Mom.

She had a flare around her. Blue as the sun reflects onto the sea. Her eyes glassy and lips trembling, trying so hard to not have a breakdown. Ethan could see just how much restraint she needed to hold them off. And it wasn't much.

Ethan wants to console her, tell her everything's gonna be fine; Cole isn't one to make a reckless decision and he was sure as hell he didn't mean to leave the house. But every word died on his tongue, causing him to stare at her uncomfortably.

Mara sniffs once. She smiles through her teary eyes at him and says, "I'll go calm your father."

When, in reality, she's the one that needed to calm down. Ethan manages a nod, tapping his finger onto the table. Mara left the room, dragging her grey cloud along. Now with the situation turned, are they still going to leave? Will he leave alone?

There were, yet again, spam texts from Juan and a couple from Kyle but Ethan doesn't know what to answer. They didn't know why he's been unresponsive. There was a heavy feeling of guilt deep in his stomach knowing that he lied to his closest friends. And Emilie.

He threw his duffel bag across the room in silent rage, fisting his hands beside him. He wanted to scream, wants the whole world to know when he did so but his throat tightens to the point of no return. He felt so confused. His future is bleak, with no other way except the worst.

Like death.

Maybe death isn't that bad. Maybe he'll feel numb until the life flashes between his eyes and then maybe a written Game Over before his eyes like in those video games. Or maybe, the pain is so excruciating that he can only be thankful he goes through it once.

Clink. Clink.

His ears heard more than accounted for. Small rocks were being thrown onto the window. He peers onto the window, eyes squinting at the person standing below. Her blonde hair swaying in a neat ponytail.

Elite-One.

He wasn't sure what to do. Is he supposed to open the window for her? Is he supposed to go down and meet her? He opens the window just a little bit. She points at him then at the ground next to her.

No. He's not going to jump off a two-story-tall house just to hear what she wants to say. He shakes his head vehemently. Why would he even want to jump in broad daylight? His parents could see. The house next door could see. Anyone nearby could see.

Elite-One—wait, is she rolling her eyes at him? "It's urgent," She mouths.

He opens the window wider and jumped without a second thought. He could've sworn the eyes of the girl widens in panic. But when he started to think about it, the more he curses at himself. He fell to the ground faster than he could blink. He curses lowly at the stinging pain on his knees and hands.

"I meant for you to use the available door. I didn't think you'd be that stupid." Her tone accusing but amused at the least. "Did that hurt?"

He gave her a rueful glance, slightly surprised at the unusually normal clothes she wore. "What do you think?"

She shrugs, her brown eyes lighter in shade. "You're an advanced human. You could be invincible for all I know."

"Well, I'm not." He stood, brushing up a patch of dirt from his knees. "What did you say was urgent before?"

The light in her eyes dimmed. There was a serious expression on her face that made him anticipate the bad news. "Your brother's at the beach, hanging out with the wrong crowd. That's already enough words said. Come on."

She leads him towards a white Audi parked conspicuously beside his house. It looks freshly bought. The drive to the beach wasn't long but it might as well be. The silence between them is uncomfortable. Maybe that's what he felt anyway.

The Elite parked just at the far end of the parking lot. She swivels on her seat and points at a general area. "It'll be best to talk to him alone."

Ethan knows which crowd Cole usually hangs out with and they aren't nice people. Cole hung out with them years ago, a part of his emo phase but he stopped. He heads towards the direction Elite-One had pointed out.

And there he is, sitting on the sand, chugging a bottle of most likely cheap beer. Two girls sat next to him, smothering him as he laughs at something someone says. He stood for a while, not knowing what to say. He wished Elite-One had come with instead but he knows she knew there is a small percentage that Cole might blurt out everything.

"Cole."

The group stopped. The so-called leader with his obnoxious nickname, King, looks like he's enjoying himself.

"What do you want?" Cole slurs, draping an arm to the girl beside him.

"Come home. Mom's worried sick." Ethan tried his best to steady his voice.

"What? Is she worried? I bet dad doesn't even care." Cole scoffs and raised his voice. "This is my suck up brother, ladies, and gents!"

Ethan felt flush of red on his neck and ears. His brother is intolerable when drunk. King smirks at him, knowing this time, Cole is within his grasp.

"Cole."

His brother is ignoring him. It's not like he's the one who's hunted for his DNA to be studied. It's not like he's going to die, right? He doesn't know how he felt when he was told he's not even the same kind as he is. So he did the only best thing at that time.

He drags him by the arm.

"Hey!" one of the girls exclaims, scowling. It went like a mere static to his brain.

For once, thanks to his DNA, he managed to get him across the beach by the side of the road where Elite-One and her car is within view. He flung his brother hard on the ground, tired of all the ways to get him to listen. And it didn't help to feel Elite-One's amused look from behind the black-tinted window.

"What the hell, dude?" Cole sloppily pushes his shoulders. "Leave me alone."

"You're worrying everyone." Ethan grits his teeth, clenching his jaw.

"Yeah? Good."

Red clawed at the edge of his eyes, threatening to break free. Why is he pushing his buttons? Does he not realize the danger he could bring to him and his own family? Right. Cole had decided well enough to know that Ethan isn't a part of his family.

Never has and never will.

"Do you want your parents to be killed?!" his voice is unlike him. "If you hate me so much, why don't you just kill me? It's the better alternative anyway. You'd be doing the whole world a favor."

Cole's eyes widen at his request, turning sober. Then, in a quiet voice, he whispers, "I don't hate you that much to wish you were dead."

Had Ethan been an average human, he wouldn't have heard it. Thankfully he isn't. His chest still heaving from all the rage and frustration he just released.

"And I don't believe you." Ethan softens his voice. "I don't know which one is the best alternative, death, or keep hiding for the rest of my life? Whichever way I choose, I keep dragging everyone with me. So, I guess I won't hate you for hating me. I wish I'm not... this either."

The brothers fell into a comfortable silence yet tension still lingers around them. A loud honk startles both of them. Ethan kinda forgot Elite-One is watching. He sighs and turns to his brother.

"Look, you have every right to be angry at me. You can even ignore me for the rest of your life but mom's worried and dad's frustrated. They thought it was the only thing to do. Maybe, if you convince them, you won't have to go?"

Ethan waits impatiently, wishing Cole to just say yes and leave. They were starting to gather a few rowdy teens who thought they're fighting. In sense, they do, just not the physical. Cole fixes him a hard glare before swiftly stalking towards Elite-One's car.

The Elite didn't say anything when they've settled themselves inside. She starts the car and in no time, they were on the road. By the time they've arrived, their parents burst out of the door. And for the first time, they embrace Cole first, completely disregarding him.

And he's fine with that.

"Thank you," Mara whispers to the Elite.

The girl rolls down her window, nodding. "Tell us when you've decided."

As her car sped away Levi starts ushering Cole and Ethan back to the house. Mara wrinkles her nose at the pungent smell of beer but chose not to say anything. Everything is silent and until their dad began to speak.

"Your mother and I have been thinking," he watches Cole drank a bottle of water. "We still think you two should go with them."

Cole chokes, water spurting out of his mouth. "I want to stay, dad. No! Just listen. I want to stay. At least until senior year's finished, then you can send me to wherever you want."

Mara sighs. "How about this, if—when Ethan reawakened all his memories under a month, you can get back here and continue to finish your senior year. You might not even miss prom!"

Cole scoffs. "Can't go there if I don't have a date."

"You are going with your brother. And that's final. If you think you can lie and find a way to stay here, you can say goodbye to football." Levi firmly says, grounding his teeth.

Ethan's eyes widen. Football is the only thing his brother ever cared for. If they take that away from him, Cole will forever be nothing like the brother and son he once was. Ethan knew his parents are out of line but he doesn't have the power to release his voice.

"So we're still going?" his heart breaks at Cole's quiet voice.

Levi nods. "For your safety."

Cole didn't reply. He looks forlorn, looking down at the ground like he had no other choice. All Cole ever wanted was to be put first and Ethan can't see that happening anytime soon. Their parents are hard to talk around when they've set on a decision. He only hopes that he won't be truly gone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8 1 5
A doctor who fanmade story
85.4K 3.9K 71
"Just because we win the war doesn't mean we don't lose everything in the process." - Joey Magnom --------- Practically everyone dreams of having sup...
70.6K 1.1K 190
Author:Peach blossoms for wine 13 Category: Danmei Zombies are rampant, and Ye Qingrang relies on a broken jade sachet and wood powers to move fo...
22.6K 386 13
When Chu Qianxun was reborn and returned to the beginning of the apocalypse, she vowed to live a better life, live longer, and stay away from those d...