A Queen for the Frost Giant (...

By FaeWhit

The giant beneath the mountain has awakened after three centuries' slumber and devours some of my fathers' be... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty

Chapter Three

254 24 2
By FaeWhit

"Cassia, please."

            "No."

            I slam the door in Lord Kazmer's face.

Damn him and his sparkling eyes and the way he enters a room and seems to laugh at it all. Damn the way he smiles. Damn his hair when it's wet from sword practice. Damn that glint of an earring that stands out against his neck and...

"Cassia, please."

"We aren't friends." I shoot back. Lila whuffs and her tail thumps my knees as she whines and paws at the door. "No, Lila. We aren't letting him in."

"See? Even Lila's fallen for my charms."

I roll my eyes and open the door a crack. I hold a quill out, tip-first. "Step closer and I stab you."

He raises an eyebrow at that. "With the quill?"

"Haven't you heard how the pen's more dangerous than the sword?"

Again, he points to the instrument in my hand. "Yes, but that isn't a pen. That's a quill."

Idiot.

I open the door and he enters with Drago tumbling in after him. My little brother punches at my knees and sticks his tongue out at me. "What are you doing here, little fool?" I ask him, watching his wooden toy sword warily.

"I'm your chaperone." Drago crows this with glee, pointing the wooden sword at me. Lord Kazmer smirks at that, crossing his arms over his lean chest. Drago leans in a bit closer. "My nurse is outside." He whispers. "Don't tell your lovey-dovey friend."

I try my best to keep my scowl intact as I dodge a swipe of Drago's wooden sword. I snatch it from his hands as he attempts to strike me again. "I'll see what I can do."

Lord Kazmer holds out a silver version of Lila with onyx set in her eyes. I take the replica and set it down on my windowsill as though it doesn't faze me. I have to admit, the statuette is dreadfully cute. "A token of a silver hound we all know and love. Consider it my way to make up for dinner and being, apparently, such a bad companion that you ran off early."

I tug at my collar, trying to remain calm, keep my breathing regular. "Sometimes, it all seems like too much. I feel like I'm trapped in this role. In my skin and can't leave..."

Lord Kazmer holds out his hand. "Then leave with me."

I don't take it, instead looking into his eyes. What are you planning?

He takes his hand away when I hesitate. "I won't expect anything of it." He whispers, softer. "I wouldn't make you feel any more trapped by this. It's your call."

"And we'll go anywhere we want?"

He nods. "As I said before, I'm just here to help."

I turn to Drago and, catching my gaze, the young lord leans down and says, "I have a Rahasian scimitar in my room. If you ask for my weapons trainer, Fernando, he'll let you look at the weapon collections for a bit."

My younger brother scampers off immediately, in search of a scimitar. I can hear the nurse chasing after him and running down the stairs. Traitor.

"Well, I'm up for an adventure as any. And if courting you will get my father to let me wander outside for a bit..." I lean forwards and snatch up Lord Kazmer's hand in mine. His palm is warm against mine. "Do graveyards make you nervous?"

            His eyes study mine, and he waits in silence before eventually shaking his head.

            I smile so wide that my jaw aches. "Then I have something to show you."

If you're enjoying "A Queen for the Frost Giant" so far, leave a little like and a comment below. Idriola sends its regards.

I wonder where Cassia is planning to take Lord Kazmer. Thoughts on a graveyard first date?

Also, we love that pup Lila.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6M 75.4K 69
"What do you even need me for?" She asked , speaking into the darkness where she thought he was. "I do not need you." He answered her darkly. Even th...
395K 12.6K 80
When vengeance strikes in the form of a bullet out for the princess's blood, Princess Aleia VonAuclair must flee the heart of her country in order to...
20.1K 1.7K 63
ONC 2023 Shortlist Astrid, the Princess of Eurovea, a country existing several centuries in the future, had led a happy and sheltered life in the ca...
309K 14.4K 103
"You're playing with fire Safania." "Good thing I don't burn." The last words he spoke before throwing me onto my bed sounded like a threat, but felt...