Pearls

By squir_squir

Pearl believes that Mr. Nick (aka Phoenix Wright) is Maya's special someone, and has done all she can to get... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Author's Note
Special Episode
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Fanart Time!!!
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Epilogue
Author's Note
Q&A
REWRITE / EDIT

Chapter 15

2.5K 77 96
By squir_squir

Ah, this is great. It's a nice night out, there aren't too many people on the street, and on top of it all...

Looking over, I see Phoenix messing with his hair and clothes, doing his best to be as presentable as possible.

I get to see Nick flustered about a small date! I'm surprised though that it's taken this long for him to be nervous. He seemed alright at the picnic.

"Maya, Pearl, how do I look? Is this alright? Should I change anything? Maybe I should go back and change. What if it's not enough? What if it's too much? What if—"

"Stop right there, Nick. You are fine. There is nothing to worry about, you look great, and this is only a small date. No need to get too worked up."

"But Maya—"

SLAP!

"OW!"

"Mr. Nick, listen to Mystic Maya. You'll be fine. Pretend it's just your usual trip to the stand with Mr. Eh-ji-worth."

"But that's the thing. It's not my usual trip. This time it'll be different."

SLAP!

"OW! Maya!"

"I'm sorry, Nick, but you need to get it in your head that this is not any different as all the times you've gone before. You and Edgeworth will be going as friends, eating as friends, and talking as friends. If you decide to continue on and go further than friends, then by all means do it. You already know that he likes you and I'm sure by now that he knows you like him too."

"Wait, he knows too?!"

SLAP!

"OW!"

"Mr. Nick, pay attention!"

"Y-yes, Pearls."

I sighed as we continued walking down the path leading to Eldoon's Noodle Stand. We were still quite a ways off but it won't be long till we arrive. "Nick, just remember. You don't have to do anything extra to win his favour. You've already won him over by being yourself so just go there and be your normal, everyday, mundane self."

"Mundane?! How am I mundane?!"

I left the question hanging in the air. It would be too much trouble to answer him now that we were nearing the stand. Wouldn't want him to worry too much about it. 

But by leaving it, I am making him worry more...oh well.

Moving further along the path, the noodle stand comes into sight. Looking around though, I don't see anyone. "It looks like Edgeworth hasn't arrived yet. No one is sitting at the stand either which is good. Who knows how you'll behave with others around."

"Hehe, yeah." Phoenix answered with uncertainty in his voice, scratching the side of his face nervously.

"Oh, come on! You've been preparing all day! There is nothing wrong, nothing will go wrong, and absolutely nothing will happen to make it go wrong. Pearl and I will make sure of that."

"That's right! We'll be keeping an eye on things, Mr. Nick!"

"Uh, thanks guys. I guess I should be happy that I've got you two looking out for me, although it may be a bit much."

"Hey! Do you want our help or not?"

"Of course I do!"

"Then stop talking and get over there!" I shoved him from behind and watched him stumble his way to the stand.

Just in time too. Edgeworth just arrived as well.

Compared to Phoenix's somewhat casual attire, Edgeworth still wore his suit and appeared to be apologising to Phoenix for some reason.

"What should we do now, Mystic Maya? Should we move closer to them or go back to the office?"

If we were to move closer, there's not really any place for us to hide. Besides, their two previous dates went well so I'm not too concerned about this one. Maybe we should head back and hear the rest from Nick later.

"Mystic Maya?"

"Hm? Ah, sorry, Pearly. I was just thinking that maybe we should head back. We've been with Nick for the past two dates, I don't think it'd be fair on him if we stayed for this one."

"But you said we would look out for him."

"I did? Oh yeah, I did. Well, looking at him now, he seems to be doing okay."

It was partly true. Phoenix and Edgeworth had made it to the seats in front of the stand and have already ordered something. Phoenix being Phoenix was as red as a tomato and was constantly reaching to scratch behind his head. Edgeworth, on the other hand, had a cheerful smile on his face that was complemented by the glow of the lights decorating the stand. At first, he was sitting attentively with correct posture but gradually slunk to a leaned position on the bench, his head in his hand as he listened to Phoenix ramble, but his smile never faltered.

"On second thoughts, let's stay. I want to see what happens."

We were about to move forward when two massive hands pulled us back.

"Eeeek!"

"Hold it there, pals! No need to scream!"

"Mr. Detective Dick! It's great to see you again!"

I followed the hand that had pulled me to find the familiar scruffy face of Gumshoe. "Detective! What are you doing here?"

"Just keeping an eye out on Mr. Edgeworth again. Have to make sure everything is perfect, you know how it is.

Right. He's here for Edgeworth like we are for Nick. But I don't see why he stopped us.

Before I had the chance to ask, Pearl asked for us. "Mr. Detective, why did you stop us? We were just going to move closer so we could hear what they were saying."

"And that's why I stopped you. You two really are invested in Mr. Edgeworth's and Mr. Wright's love life, aren't you?"

Pearl nodded enthusiastically. "We really want this relationship to work, Mr. Detective. We want to make sure that nothing goes wrong."

"Well, in that case, don't follow them." The expression on his face told me that he didn't want to tell that to Pearl. For good reason too. Pearl jumped in shock at his words.

"Why not, Mr. Detective? Don't you want to see them together and know what happens?"

Gumshoe sighed. "I do, but it won't do any good if they suspect that we are here, right? It'd be awkward if they had people watching everything they do."

He's got a point. I don't think it'd be nice of us to constantly watch them whilst they try to have fun together.

"Pearly, what Detective Gumshoe is trying to say is that it wouldn't be fair on them if we always look out for Nick. I mean, look at him. He's enjoying himself without us needing to be there."

"Oh." Pearl watched the couple, a sombre expression washing over her. "So he doesn't need us anymore?"

I smiled gently. "Not right now. Later he will and we'll do all we can to help, right?"

Pearl nodded. "Right."

"Well then," the Detective interrupted, "now that that's sorted, how about we leave them be and see what happens tomorrow?"

"Sounds like a plan to me! I can't wait to hear what Nick has to say. He's probably going to talk all day and night about it." Laughing, I went to grab Pearl's hand, but saw her still staring at the two men. "Pearly? Everything okay?"

"Mr. Eh-ji-worth looks really relaxed, doesn't he?"

Looking over, I see that their food had arrived and they're now chatting between mouthfuls. Edgeworth still had that smile on his face which was also reflected on Phoenix's face. "Yeah, he does. Same with Nick. It's good to see them like this."

She smiled and turned around. "I'm glad Mr. Nick is in good hands. Let's go." Walking in the direction we had come from, I began to follow, but not before I thanked the detective who had remained standing with us.

"Thank you, Detective. We'll tell you all the details about tonight's date tomorrow. Keep an eye on the two, would you? We don't want anything bad to happen."

"You can count on me, pal!" With a salute, Gumshoe returned to the shadows that he was hiding behind, or whatever shadow there was. 

Honestly, how do we never see him? Finding him shouldn't be a problem given how he looks.

I shake my head before catching up with Pearl who had stopped a little ways away. "Thanks for waiting. Shall we, then?"

I hold her hand in mine and we walked home, the soft chatter and laughter of Phoenix and Edgeworth growing distant behind us.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.9K 126 15
This is the story that my initial song-fic, "I Would Break Every Law For You" is based out of. Phoenix has yet to realize that denial is more than ju...
14.9K 317 25
After Spirit of Justice. An attempt of murder on Phoenix Wright puts the worlds of everyone close to him upside down as them all try to discover the...
752 17 7
Dahlia Hawthorne is going to prison, and Phoenix Wright is a free man. Mia Fey takes one look at the glassy-eyed teenager collapsed on her couch and...
115 8 3
✎ 𝐘𝐨𝐮'𝐫𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐚𝐧 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤, (𝐘/𝐍) ╰┈➤𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 (Y/N) is in a relationship with Miles Edgeworth, the person that used to be...