atla one shots

By Polarbear-Pancake

Just a whole bunch of one shots for Avatar: the Last Airbender. I personally like Zuko a bunch, so these will... More

1- skin n bones
2- cuddles
3-fire
4- past abuse
5- touch starved
6-kid
7-inner fire
8-blind/deaf
9-father
10- wings
11- attack
12- omega
13-scars
14- helping
15-fever
16- shifters
17- secret
18- prisoner Zuko
19-spirit
20-polyamorous
21-sleep deprived
22- protective
23- home
24- never have I ever
25-hanging around
26 - Combustion man
27- soulmates
28 - HTTYD AU
29 - chained and whipped
30 - bleeding out
32 - magic AU
33 - Hero Au

31 - tears

2K 41 20
By Polarbear-Pancake

This will be 3rd pov, and for the person who requested it, Shadow930, I hope it's up to standards.

3rd pov

It wasn't something that happened often, but even when Zuko had been on the ship with Uncle, there had been times when he'd had to stomp to his quarters under the guise of anger, only to bury his face in his pillow and cry as silently as he could, since obviously he was the angry teenage Captain that no one wanted to be with, and so he deserved every sharp insult and chafe against him.

However, with everything that had happened the last few months, it had been a while since Zuko had not only taken an insult, but since he'd had an emotional release of any kind. He and Sokka had returned from the Boiling rock, with Chit Sang, Hakoda - who insisted on his name, and not chief, or any other form of respect -and Suki, Sokka's girlfriend. We were gathered round the fire, with the three boys who liked to explore long in bed. They liked their rest, since they could have more energy to explore the temple and surrounding area with the next day.

Sokka and Hakoda were weaving the tale of their escape, and even the people who'd been there found themselves drawn in. Hakoda turns from the story, where they are talking about the escape on the gondola, and watches Zuko. Something about the boy had been bothering him. He wasn't sure what, and it was unease, not distrust that was driving this.

"...She saved us. We wouldn't have survived without her intervention. Either of them, really. Azula didn't really look happy, however."

"Prince Zuko, I must say your fighting skills and even more so, the trust you put in Suki, were most admirable. Who taught you?"

"It's kinda a mix. Mostly it was my Uncle though it was originally the instructors in the palace and my father occasionally. Uncle's style, incorporates all the bending types, however, so I'm not really sure what you're seeing when I bend."

"I'm seeing someone strong, and fierce, but you were also determined. The trust you placed in Suki was noble, and more so in her enemy. You are a very kind person. Who taught you that?"

The question was quiet and gentle, the others around the fire holding their breath, waiting for Zuko to answer. He never gets the chance, because Katara opens her mouth and starts talking immediately, seeing it as a chance to show her Dad who Zuko really is.

"Nobody taught him that. The only people who might've are dead or currently missing. His Father and sister are cruel, and I think that's what you were seeing, Dad. He's not a kind person, hell, he's barely a person. I don't know what you all see in him, but he's really not worth anything, let alone our time or forgiveness. I will never give it to him, because he doesn't deserve it."

"...Ya know, I get it, you hate me, but was that really necessary? I know what I'm worth, and how much of a burden I am, but you just had to make sure Dad had all the details, biased as they may be or not. I think we get the point -"

"You shut the fuck up, trash. You are not something I ever want to be known for having been near let alone acquainted with. You should leave, as a matter of fact. Go away, right now. I don't care if it's right off a cliff, if it's into your "room" or even if it's holding yourself under water, but go away. You don't deserve to be here, and especially not now."

Zuko stands, and everyone suddenly realizes he wasn't laughing, or shivering like they'd thought. The tears fall down his cheeks as he looks as Katara, sparing a glance over to the others, who are shocked, and probably silently agree, surely they'd have said something otherwise, right?, before deciding to answer her before leaving.

"Ya know, I've known some really shit-y people, my sister and father included, and never have I ever met someone as slimy as you. You care for people, and ask for forgiveness, but you don't give seconds chances or your forgiveness, and you judge based solely on the past. I've been getting better, and I've even restricted myself to fire-bending for the food fire's and the sessions I have with Aang. If this is the way you're going to be, however, I think no one will blame me for taking back my basic humans rights. Good day."

Zuko turns and starts away, the shadows taking all color from him, but his outline is still see able when Katara stands, and despite both Hakoda and Aang's efforts, she stays standing, defiantly wanting to make sure she got in last word. No way was this asshole, going to make her take all the blame for their mistakes.

"I may be a hypocrite, but as least my mistakes don't result in everyone leaving or dying."

Zuko freezes, Toph gets worried for a second because she feels his heart actually stop for but a moment, and then he takes off, a choked off sound - a sob? a scream? - echoing back to them as their friend - as least some of theirs friend - races away, leaving an awkward silence and an urgent need for an explanation.

"We need to send someone after him. Who should go?"

"Not Katara, and probably not either of the male adults. So, that leaves me, Aang, and Toph. Maybe all three of us should go?"

"No, Sokka you stay back. I need an unbiased account of everything Katara's about to tell me. Aang, Toph, why don't you two go help him out? He really needs it."

They both nod and take off, Toph leading since she can track him. She's worried, despite everything, since the erratic heartbeat is worrying. What could he be doing? Aang is worried as well, cause he can hear the sounds of sobbing, choked and dying, with an occasional whimper intermixed.

They race around a corner and both stop, surprised and confused, but still worried. Zuko is sitting in front of them, his back to them, and something in his lap. He's bent over it, and they can tell he's crying, both heartbeat and the shaking of his shoulders giving him away. As they cautiously approach, Aang realizes what he's holding.It's an old guitar, something the monks and fire-benders played on when they visited each other. Did the Prince know how to use it?

"Zuko?"

He starts and turns to face them, the moonlight making the tears path shine in the light, while his shoulders shake and his fingers tremble against the strings on the guitar. They both approach, and settle on his side, setting a head on his shoulder or a hand on his knee.

"You going to be ok,Sparky?"

"Maybe later, but not right now. I'm sorry I took the guitar, but my Mom used to play, and so did Uncle, before I was banished. It's something of a comfort to know that they still exist somewhere, since Father burned all that he could find anywhere in the palace. Sure we kept a few hidden, but we can't take them out without him finding the rest or the one we use."

"Does that mean you know how to play?"

"It was a required Princely duty, because Grandfather loved the guitar and was in the spirit of keeping things from other nations that were unique or interesting. He had one given to him by a monk, and he loved the thing, was so sad that he would never hear another Air-bender play a tune on it. A lot of people didn't understand Grandfather, but he was happy."

"Would you be willing to play for us?"

"A...are you sure? It's not only a part of your culture, but I haven't played in many years, and I'm not sure how much I really remember from the classes, wouldn't it better for you to play?"

"No, I want to hear someone else playing something that shows my culture still lived, even after I was frozen away and them massacred. Please?"

Zuko hesitates, it really had been years since he'd played, but Aang was giving him puppy eyes, and a glance at Toph shows even she wants to hear this, so he sighs. He settles the guitar more comfortably against himself, and set his dominant hand on the strings.( I don't know a fucking thing about playing guitar, excuse any mistakes I make.) He gently strums each string with a shaking hand, knowing it will affect the play, but not really caring. He's still emotionally not ok right now and if the song shows that, fine.

He starts playing a song his mother used to play softly, something she did when she was talking of her old village and family, whom she never saw. He briefly wonders if she's with them now, but shakes the thought away as he focuses on the guitar and the song he's playing.

It brings up more memories, but he focuses only on the soothing song he's playing. The music echoes along the walls, down to the fire far below, and everyone goes silent to hear it. There's something about the song that resonates deeply with each other person, something that touches their cores and shakes them. Tears spring to their eyes for reasons none of them wish to infer, and they simply bow their heads, accepting the song and listening to it.

Aang knows this is a Fire-nation song immediately, but it's still on the guitar, and the simple acoustics bring back soft, gentle memories. Toph is just enjoying the sound of vibration of something new and soothing that she's never heard. She didn't even know there was an instrument she didn't know of, but she's glad Sparky is showing her this one, it just doesn't feel like anyone else would've given this instrument as much meaning as he did.

The song isn't very long, but everyone appreciates it, and then Zuko ends it. There had been no words, but there hadn't been a need for words. Honestly, the entire thing felt almost surreal. However, the three on the terrace where completely and totally ok, even if still a bit emotionally unstable right at this very moment.

"That was beautiful. Thank you so much, Zuko. I'm happy to know my culture continued on after everyone was gone... even if it was in the hands of another culture. Thank you."

"Sparky, I wasn't even aware there was an instrument I hadn't heard, but I'm glad you were the one to play this, because I don't think anyone else could've given it enough of a justice. I think you were meant to play this instrument right here and right now, whether for a reason or not. I think you were meant to be with us right here and I don't regret my decision."

Zuko ducks his head, blushing. He hadn't gotten actual praise from anyone in so long, he was no longer sure how to accept to it. He could accept reprimands, he could take an insult, a cruel remark, a jab, but a compliment? He just didn't know how to respond.

"Thank you..."

The others below at the fire are trying to get control of themselves, when the other three rejoin them. No one is really surprised to see the guitar in Zuko's hands, even though none of them had ever seen him play an instrument, let alone as well as that. The silence starts to get to him, and the staring as well, and Zuko starts to fidget, messing with a few of the strings on the guitar. The resonating chords punch the others in the core, and they almost double over from the mental, spiritual, something not physical hit they had just taken.

"How long have you known how to play that?"

"A few years. My Mom was teaching me, taught me up until the day she disappeared."

"What song was that? It was so..."

"Majestic?"

"Thank you, Sokka. Majestic."

"It was something my Mom played when she would tell me about her old village, and her family. She loved them very much, but I only ever heard stories about them."

"I guess your tears were good for something. We got a lovely song out of it."

"...Are you mocking me?"

"...No."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

64.7K 1.7K 17
(Avatar: The Last Airbender - Book 1) *Edited In which a girl who stands out in her Earth Kingdom hometown gets to go on the adventure she didn't kno...
764K 10.9K 52
Oneshots for different atla/Lok characters! (ongoing for smuts only)
17.2K 681 36
๐’๐’–๐’Œ๐’'๐’” ๐’•๐’†๐’Ž๐’‘๐’†๐’“ ๐’Š๐’” ๐’๐’†๐’ˆ๐’†๐’๐’…๐’‚๐’“๐’š, ๐’ƒ๐’–๐’• ๐’‰๐’Š๐’” ๐’๐’†๐’˜ ๐’‘๐’“๐’Š๐’”๐’๐’๐’†๐’“ ๐’Š๐’” ๐’ƒ๐’†๐’‚๐’•๐’Š๐’๐’ˆ ๐’‰๐’Š๐’Ž ๐’‚๐’• ๐’‰๐’Š๐’” ๐’๐’˜๐’ ๐’ˆ๐’‚๐’Ž๐’†. ๐‘พ๐’‰๏ฟฝ...
88K 4.2K 40
he yearns for such violent delights and wonders if kissing the sun will lead to a violent end. avatar: the last airbender zuko ๐™ญ female!oc โ”€โ”€ ยฉCORAL...