[COMPLETE] Transmigrated Auth...

By melo_marl

[TATQP ©2019] Before being QQ, a novelist famous for her tragic works, she was first the world's most powerfu... More

Foreword
Chapter 1: Plain Hong Chun
Chapter 2: Gracious Devil
Chapter 3: Hong Family
Chapter 5: Feeding the Homeless
Chapter 6: Original Plot
Chapter 7: Of Service
Chapter 8: Overbearing Heart
Chapter 9: Invitation
Chapter 10: You're Predictable
Chapter 11: A Seer
Chapter 12: Chosen
Chapter 13: The Panther
Chapter 14: Sentimental
Chapter 15: Difficulties of Being Vulnerable
Chapter 16: Accidental Meeting
Chapter 17: Madam Long
Chapter 18: Who to Serve
Chapter 19: Visitor
Chapter 20: A Little Gift
Chapter 21: A Coincidence
Chapter 22: They're Back
Chapter 23: Last Chance
Chapter 24: Price of Freedom
Chapter 25: Return of the...
Chapter 26: Goddess' Herald
Chapter 27: Quiet Plum
Chapter 28: Her Death
Chapter 29: Am I Human?
Chapter 30: Urn
Chapter 31: Spring Never Dies
Chapter 32: A Great Puzzle
Chapter 33: Why do all the good people...
Chapter 34: A'mei
Chapter 35: Fifth Prince and a Rewind
Chapter 36: Wu Yun Peak
Chapter 37: Real-Life Monster
Chapter 38: The Fool
Chapter 39: Former Almost
Chapter 40: Most Loyal Servant of the Goddess
Chapter 41: Qin Clan
Chapter 42: The Tiger's Den
Chapter 43: The Empress
Chapter 44: ML's Intelligence
Chapter 45: Qiaoli's Madness and her Forbidden Jutsu
Chapter 46: Long Yi Ran's Gamble
Chapter 47: The Deal
Chapter 48: Beat the Crap Out of You
Chapter 49: Infection and Antidote
Chapter 50: Duke Li's Attitude
Chapter 51: Disappointing Request
Chapter 52: Unpredictable Ending
Chapter 53: Sacred Bloodlines
Chapter 54: Descent to Despair
Chapter 55: Landing to One's Death
Chapter 56: Misunderstanding
Chapter 57: Sharing One's Burden
Chapter 58: Headmaster
Chapter 59: A Fleeting Meeting
Chapter 60: Setting Out
Chapter 61: Missed Fate
Chapter 62: City of Fleeting Clouds
Author's Note
Chapter 63: Her Battlefield
Chapter 64: No Traces
Chapter 65: Duchess
Chapter 66: Huang Estate
Chapter 67: Cleaning
Chapter 68: Sister-in-Law
Chapter 69: Estranged
Chapter 70: Setup
Chapter 71: Green Scroll
Chapter 72: Dinner with the Family
Wattpad Creators Program
Chapter 73: The Siblings' Deal
Chapter 74: Spring Fortune Court
Chapter 75: Huang Province Top Brass
Chapter 76: A Lesson
Chapter 77: Punishment
Book 2 Announcement!

Chapter 4: Troubles and Goodbyes

4.4K 213 21
By melo_marl

Media source: https://pin.it/dvhk3s6lqcqo4z

---

In the dead of the night, at the district reserved for the foreign delegates, a mansion stood in splendor.

Inside was the Duke of First Rank from Huo Ai Empire, Duke Li.

The light from the lamp delicately caressed his soft features. His eyes were scanning the report from his people.

This duke was the son of a formidable pair of generals who were said to die at the hands of the nomadic tribes of the Northeast. Having lost both his parents at a young age, Li Yun Zao grew up in the military barracks.

As he became the man that he was now, he was deeply respected not just by his subjects in his duchy but also by the whole kingdom. This made him the perfect candidate to represent his nation in this year's congregation.

"There isn't any progress?" Duke Li frowned upon reading the report handed to him.

"None, your Grace. Our actions are being limited." A person clad in black stood in front of him.

Li Yun Zao sighed, a frown creasing his forehead. "It doesn't matter. Dig everything you can."

"Yes, your Grace!"

There was determination inside the duke's eyes. He'd been searching high and low for every moment of his life.

But he could only be discreet about it because it would be very dangerous for that person if many people knew.

Whether alive or dead, he promised to find that person.

All these years, he was slowly losing hope.

But today, he saw something that raised his spirits. It didn't matter if it was just an illusion. He'd still hang on the chance that the person he was looking for was here.

Duke Li closed his tired eyes.

He traveled for many days, coming from the cold northeast to this warm land.

But behind his lids was the image of a young lady with auburn hair, standing among the crowd.

Did she live well?

Was she safe?

The Duke curled his hands into fists.

Soon, he'd find her. Soon, she'd be home.

These thoughts were interrupted by another incoming report.

"Your Grace, there's news from the Fifth Prince."

This made the young duke flinch but he read the message nonetheless.

'How come?' was what he thought of.

Opening the scroll, a series of code characters were sprawled out.

But the duke gritted his teeth as he understood.

"This prince will accompany my brother in this arduous task."

Duke Li massaged the space between his brows.

This troublesome prince had nothing to do.

Why did the Imperial City let the prince set out?

If only one could curse his surname, he'd done it long ago.

It was already a handful being alone in this foreign land. What more if he had this notorious prince tagging along?

Other countries had long been wary of their Huo Ai because they seldom associated themselves with people of the South.

Huo Ai was situated in the northernmost part of the continent, angling a little to the northeast.

Their land's name would inspire curiosity and mystique.

To go to this country, one would have to pass the deadly mountains of the North that were so cold for ordinary men.

Despite living in such harsh conditions, the people of Huo Ai would fiercely defend their lands. Nations of the South have changed dynasties or had taken each other's provinces and states. But Huo Ai remained as steady as a celestial mountain.

A number of cartographers would claim that Huo Ai had the biggest territory among the five empires. The rest would argue that it was Han.

But this wouldn't be confirmed unless one would go and inspect the kingdom in its entirety. A feat that was impossible to do because their imperial government imposed strict laws on entering and leaving the borders.

This accounted for the colorful tales regarding this country.

There were stories that the people of Huo Ai practiced eating one another's flesh just to survive the freezing weather all year-round.

But some legends also told of the unending riches of the land. The people were said to live without having to think of mundane problems at all.

The traditions of serving the god and mythical empress, Cai Xie, were practiced here even now despite the spread of Confucianism and Buddhism.

> - cǎi - bright color - xié – harmonious<

Stories were told that those who showed disrespect to Cai Xie would be killed on the spot. And that children and maidens were sacrificed annually just to appease the goddess.

There were many other stories that sang of the cruel ways of the Huo Ai people.

Sometimes, one would hear these stories being told in tea houses or being sung by actors of the opera. Mothers would even scare their children now and again with the name of these barbaric people.

They were viewed as monsters of some sort because their gates weren't open to everybody. What the people couldn't touch or see, they would fear and despise.

Duke Li was aware of the aversion towards his land's people. In fact, it was one of the reasons why he should be more careful.

He knew the dignitaries of the congregation would be wary of anyone coming from Huo Ai. It wasn't an exaggeration that any wrong movement from him could cause a war.

The other four empires against them.

A cruel smile graced his lips.

The Imperial City was seeking chaos by sending the fifth.

---

That day, a carriage arrived to fetch the Hong husband and wife.

The family of four walked out of their fu.

> - - official residence/mansion<

"You only need to do your usual routine while we're gone. A'Chun, listen to Fong momo. She'll teach you all the things you need to know. Understand?" Hong Shu Cao reminded for who knew how many times.

>A/N: 嬤嬤 - mo -(dialect) elderly lady/wet nurse<

Hong Chun gave a soft smile, "Don't worry, all this daughter really needs to do is to make sure Xiao Ting is studying and... for me to learn a few tricks from Fong momo. You two should take care. Go, enjoy the flowers and rivers of Mei Le!"

"Oh and don't forget to take home goodies!" The younger brother prompted in all seriousness.

"Aiya, it's so nice to have a magnanimous daughter. Xiao Ting, all you think about is what you'll get!" Father Hong hit the back of his son's head.

"Yes!" The young man saluted while scratching his head. "You don't have to worry, Father. No one can get close to jiejie under my watch!"

>姐姐 - jiě jie - older sister<

"Good, our son's reliable too!" Yi-shi clapped.

"Alright, alright. Our carriage is waiting." Father Hong ushered his wife.

The two siblings watched their parents board the carriage and waved at them as it was starting to move. Their parents waved back shouting more reminders which made Hong Chun laugh.

She felt like a kid who was being left home alone for the first time but she also couldn't help but feel warm inside.

"A'Chun..."

"Yes, Fong momo?" Hong Chun automatically replied.

In this house, it was rare to hear the older servants call the two children as young miss or young master.

It might be because of Hong father's humble origins or it was just because the rules in this house were more lax than other officials' residences.

"You know that the servants all go home when the day's over but now that the master and madam are out, we can't leave you two alo-"

"What's Fong momo talking about? It's fine to keep the existing schedule. We still have Old Shang here."

"But-"

"No buts! Jiejie's right, all of you have your families too. Sometimes, Father's even a little stingy with your salary. Now that they're not here, it's okay to slack a little bit."

"Xiao Ting, are you slandering your own father?" Hong Chun teased.

"What?" Hong Ting also realized the slip of his tongue. "No! I'm just telling Fong momo to take it easy."

Hong Chun rolled her eyes. The parents were gone for a few minutes and this brat already betrayed them.

"Fine! Let's go in, help me cook dinner."

Hong Chun hauled his brother inside and Fong momo could only shake her head. The heavens blessed them with good lords.

How she wished the Master would quickly advance in rank.

Hong Shu Cao was a standard fifth-ranked official but he didn't have a backing of a big aristocratic family so the salary he was receiving was just enough for his family.

They couldn't afford to have stay-in servants who would serve the family for the rest of their lives. All the servants in the Hong residence were hired hands and had their own homes on the outskirts of the capital.

Hong Chun knew this too. She refused the nurse's advice so she could say that she was magnanimous.

Also, she didn't like seeing too many people all the time.

If it was possible, she didn't want humans within ten feet radius around her.

It was a plus that the Hong husband and wife raised their children to know how to take care of themselves even without servants. So she was confident they'd do well.

Besides, it was only for a few weeks.

---

I doubt if middle-ranking officials were given residences in the real ancient chinese era but here, the social system allows for the standard ranks to have an official residence. Of course, the size and grandiose is according to the rank.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.4K 155 34
This is about a ordinary girl who grows up being a youtuber and she looked up to 4 people. Sam Golbach Colby Brock Corey Scherer And Jake webber. The...
10.1K 315 19
The season finally of Hazbin hotel ended a month ago, theories where arising, questions where being answered, and the raging bloodlust of the entire...
191K 2.5K 62
Just like the last. Yet greater.
1.7M 59.7K 48
[NGVM ©2019] First Place for Romance/Slice of Life Genre in Light Novie Awards 2019 by @lightnovelsociety Yin Hua Lei was supposed to be the villaine...