One More Time (Bremmy 1)

By PaceYurself

Sex is safe || Love is not Emmy Rhodes is tired of relationships. She spends her days drinking coffee, doing... More

Note
Chapterish 1
Chapterish 2
Chapterish 3
Chapterish 5
Chapterish 6
Chapterish 7
Chapterish 8
Chapterish 9
Chapterish 10
Chapterish 11
Chapterish 12
Chapterish 13
Chapterish 14
Chapterish 15
Chapterish 16
Chapterish 17
Chapterish 18
Chapterish 19
Chapterish 20
Chapterish 21
Chapterish 22
Chapterish 23
Chapterish 24
Chapterish 25
Chapterish 26
Chapterish 27
Chapterish 28
Chapterish 29
Chapterish 30
Chapterish 31
Chapterish 32
Chapterish 33
Chapterish 34
Chapterish 35
Chapterish 36
Chapterish 37
Chapterish 38
Chapterish 39
Chapterish 40
Chapterish 41
Chapterish 42
Chapterish 43
Chapterish 44
Chapterish 45
Chapterish 46
Chapterish 47
Chapterish 48
Chapterish 49
Chapterish 50
Chapterish 51
Chapterish 52
Casting Call
Chapterish 53
Chapterish 54
Chapterish 55
Chapterish 56
Chapterish 57
Chapterish 58
Chapterish 59
Chapterish 60
Chapterish 61
Chapterish 62
Chapterish 63
Chapterish 64
Chapterish 65
Chapterish 66
*the Mix Tape*
Chapterish 67
Chapterish 68
Chapterish 69
Chapterish 70
Chapterish 71
Chapterish 72
*Cover Central*
Chapterish 73
Chapterish 74
Chapterish 75
Chapterish 76
Chapterish 77
Chapterish 78
Chapterish 79
Chapterish 80
Chapterish 81
Gems
Chapterish 82
Chapterish 83
Chapterish 84
Chapterish 85
Chapterish 86
Chapterish 87
Chapterish 88
Chapterish 89
Chapterish 90
Chapterish 91
*the Mix Tape*
*Surprise Bonus Chapter*
WE GO DOWN
*Bonus 2.0*
A E S T H E T I C S

Chapterish 4

34.1K 1K 197
By PaceYurself

BEACH BONFIRE

9:00 PM

Headlights of parked cars flood the sand. I spot Trix from the edge of the lot. She's tripping over her wedges with one arm holding a red cup and the other flung around Travis. They started dating at 16 when both of them were still painfully awkward. And when they were both done making out with the rest of our friends. The decade under their belt has done wonders. They're still the best looking couple in town.

They haven't seen me yet. I watch them, enjoying my last moments of solitude. I admire Trix with her long red hair and fluid dance of a walk. If she had a purple shell-bra she'd be a dead ringer for the little mermaid. Travis was always the hottest jock. The exception to the rule. And only member of our group that was in the Homecoming Court. Dark hair, broad shoulders and a torso that looks like it belongs on a mermaid. Merman?  He's hardly changed –maybe a bit leaner now without all the jock muscle weighing him down. The metallic brow piercing and tongue ring are new developments. They pair nicely with his tats.

"Hi!" Someone yells.

"Here! Take this!"

"HEY!"

Someone I vaguely recognize hands me a cup filled with what I'm guessing is beer. Must be. It tastes like piss, like watered down piss. No wonder I stopped drinking beer in high school.

Pieces of driftwood are piled high in a tipsy stack. The bonfire is going to be LIT.

I cross to Trix and Travis. My flip-flops spray sand against the back of my legs. They scoop me into a three-way hug fest.

"Emmy!" Trix squeals. "OMG!"

She hugs me again –a solo hug –and almost knocks me into the sand. I catch a wave of watermelon. Her shampoo or whatever is in her cup, I don't know.

"Hey." Travis smiles.

"Been a while, Trav." I say, hugging him too. I catch a whiff of mint. Travis always smells like mint. It's from all the gum he chews. He does it to mask the cigarette smell.

"A WHILE?" Trix yells. "Too fucking long."

"Yea, yea." I push Trix off me. "I'm here now."

I note how touchy feely they are and it's like I stepped into a time warp.

In fact, looking around, I did step through time. It's picture-muscle-memory. I recognize almost everyone standing on the beach. Older versions of their former selves, but their faces are the same.  The guys have thicker beards. The girls have less perky tits. Some have new tits. Some thinned out and bulked up. Others let themselves go a bit. Clearly not everyone gives a fuck about yoga and veganism.

People change, but they don't really fucking change, ya know?

"So. Did you see him yet?" Trix elbows my ribs.

"Here we go again." Travis rolls his eyes. "You've GOT to be kidding me."

"I'm not sure what you're talking about." I almost laugh. I'll be defensive if I have to be.

"Oh, no? Well, we're about to find out." Travis nods.

Trix squeals.

I follow their eyesight across the bonfire and past the horde of my old high school classmates.

THE SUSPENSE.

He's standing right by the ocean, surrounded by four other guys –two I recognize and two I don't. The waves smack his calves, slowly sinking him into the sand.

For fuck's sake.

He looks the same but also different. Older. No shit. His lobster-red swim trunks hang just low enough to show off his godlike V. Thanks. A white tank hangs loosely over his torso. He's gained at least three inches since 18, which is saying something since he was already tall. His biceps have also gained inches.

A muscly arm runs his fingers through his hair pushing it off his forehead. His loose dark curls stick up in the front until he tucks them behind his ear. Dark tattoos crawl up his left shoulder and spread onto his chest. He's like a certain member of a certain international boy band. The guy next to him looks at me. He nudges Brooks's side, knocking the beer bottle from his hand. His head tilts back with laughter and his eyes catch mine.

I watch his stupid lips curve into the most blinding smile you could ever imagine. The most miraculous thing I've ever seen. My legs actually wobble beneath me. I may as well be wearing Trix's wedges in the sand. No. I may as well not have legs to begin with. I don't deserve them.

I'm eighteen again. A basic-bitch weak-ass teenager again. I watch as he saunters toward me. My body can sense him coming. It snaps to attention, electrifying more and more with every step he takes. I decide I get the vampire thing. Death by vampire. Because if he were one I'd let him destroy me in this moment. No, I wouldn't let him. I'd beg him to.

Who's got time to be the heroine when the villain looks this good?

Suddenly there's no beach between us. The beach disappears. There's just the ocean and the sky and the bonfire. His face extra tan under the eerie orange glow.

"Emmy Lou." He says my name through his smile. God my name sounds so good coming from his lips.

"Jay Brooks."

Fuck

Me

Now

Literally, because it's been twenty seconds and my entire body's core is longing for his. Longing to sit on his face.

Figuratively, because well, I'm fucked. No one has ever ever had a hold on me like this. Nine fucking years I've been gone. And seeing him again, I don't think I was ever free. I know I wasn't.

"It's really you." His voice is deeper than I remember and not as squeaky, smoother. It sounds to your ears like how velvet feels on your skin.

"In the flesh." I nod.

"You look good." He steps back and looks up and down. Blatantly checking me out. Starting off on the right foot. He's the literal worst.

"You look..." I squeeze my lips together to keep from sounding too excited. "Good too."

He hugs me.

The atmosphere shifts into a new galaxy. Goodbye Milkyway. Hello Snickers.

His aura is intoxicating. And I'm drunk as shit. Not from the half cup of piss beer I just drank.

"Just get back?" He asks, shifting his weight toward me.

"This afternoon," I say. "You?"

"Yesterday." Brooks nods.

A million thoughts are running through my mind. Chasing each other through my mind. Each one fighting for Top Spot. My mouth has forgotten to form words. Maybe it's his new chiseled frame or pearly white light show going on in his mouth or his ocean dried hair or stupid glimmer of absolute life swimming in the pools of his eyes.

"It's been a while." Brooks's voice disrupts my daydream.

"It has." I agree, biting my lip.

"Nine years." I say.

"Nine years?" He asks at the same time. We laugh.  "Keeping count?" He raises his beautiful eyebrow.

"Like you aren't," I roll my eyes.

"I've been waiting." The glimmer of life in his eyes is surfacing again. But I'm the one who needs to come up for air.

Why does he say these things to me? The way he says it. It's a perfectly crafted albeit extremely obvious innuendo. Or maybe I'm imagining it?

He cheated on you, Em.

"See you guys found each other."

"Didn't take very long."

"Told ya!"

Alex and Nate appear at our side, standing next to Travis and Trix.

"Wow, Em! It's been years! Great to see you!" Alex scoops me into a bear hug.

Alex Hannigan, lifeguard. Another member of our graduating class that never left and never wanted to. Also, conveniently, the only Irishman I've ever known that never burns. Damn he's got a good suntan.

"I know! Snuck home for the summer." I say. Brooks's eyes dart at mine. I can't help but stare at him.

"The rest of the summer?" He asks. Fuck you, Brooks.

"No! No! She's only gracing us with her presence for two weeks." Meg shows up next to me, flinging her arm around my shoulders and kissing my cheek. Red cup in hand, sloshing with what I promise you will be a migraine tomorrow morning. Smells like cherries though. "Don't get any ideas."

"Ha-ha," I elbow her.

Meg is my second-best high school friend. Almost an exact opposite of Trix, but somehow the three of us were always inseparable. Meg and Nate started dating during The Coupling, but broke up in college. They got back together about three or four years ago. With Brooks gone, Nate is Travis's best friend now.

Meg with her glossy brown bob and petite athletic bod. Nate with his cropped hair and sharp jawline. Really, he's like runway model level. Another beautiful pairing.

"Another round?" Nate asks the group.

They all slur agreement in unison. I have some catching up to do. Trix and Meg lock arms and follow the guys to the jumbled mess of kegs. I start to move, but Brooks stops me. He cuts across my path.

"Emmy Lou," he says again.

I die in response again. It's a casual death.

"We covered names."

"We did. But I had to double check." He smirks.

"Seeming too good to be true?" I ask. Legit, what's gotten into me? He laughs.

"Something like that," he nods. I can't help but notice he's still checking me out.

"You didn't seem to miss me too much last time," I say, biting my lip.

"No idea what you mean," Brooks grins.

"You're still annoying, I see."

"You still enjoy it, I see." He laughs at me and I sigh louder.

"You're still the worst!" I roll my eyes.

"Hey! BROOKS!"

"Let's go, Brooks!"

The guys he left are calling him back to the edge of the water. He glances over his shoulder at them, but I see hesitation in his eyes. It looks like he may say something else, but then a moment later he's back to his normal self.

"Don't let me keep you," I say.

"Don't go anywhere, Ems. I'll come find you before I leave." Brooks smiles again and turns to rejoin his group.

Ems. His nickname for me, because you know Em is just too hard. First time I've heard it in years. I don't have time to say anything as he leaves or call after him. Not that there'd be anything to say. He's still the same.

He's still the one I pushed away.

He's still the one who left me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

323K 11.5K 50
Newton needed an apple to discover the Law of universal attraction. I needed Alex Carter to discover the attraction. Alex Carter, THE BAD BOY. Do I n...
348K 3.5K 17
๐˜ผ๐™ก๐™ก ๐™๐™š ๐™ฃ๐™š๐™š๐™™๐™š๐™™ ๐™ฌ๐™–๐™จ ๐™๐™š๐™ง ๐™ฃ๐™–๐™ข๐™š. ๐˜ผ๐™ฃ๐™™ ๐™–๐™ฃ ๐™๐™ค๐™ช๐™ง ๐™ค๐™ง ๐™ฉ๐™ฌ๐™ค ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™ง๐™ค๐™˜๐™  ๐™๐™š๐™ง ๐™š๐™ฃ๐™ฉ๐™ž๐™ง๐™š ๐™ฌ๐™ค๐™ง๐™ก๐™™. Leaving her broken ho...
8.3M 227K 61
Warning this book is rough. Not edited. We wanted privacy. We wanted a normal relationship with no high expectations. But that's hard when you have...
3.8K 392 20
Savannah goes on holiday with her boyfriend, Theo, and her friends. She thinks she loves Theo more than anything and Theo gives her the world. They'r...