Tides

moudenes द्वारा

Sun, sand and waves; day in and out the constant of life at Sea Glass Beach. The upcoming surfing festival sp... अधिक

Chapter 1 - Siblings
Chapter 2 - Grommet
Chapter 3 - Not Interested
Chapter 4 - Lawyer in the Water
Chapter 5 - The Team
Chapter 6 - Hot and Sweaty
Chapter 7 - Coffee Place
Chapter 8 - Hidden Love
Chapter 9 - Ross
Chapter 10 - Sand Facial
Chapter 11 - Crushed Ego
Chapter 12 - Models
Chapter 13 - Trainer
Chapter 14 - Blogger
Chapter 15 - The Librarian
Chapter 16 - (Un)Lucky Day
Chapter 17 - Not That Guy
Chapter 18 - Kids and Nicknames
Chapter 19 - No More Secrets
Chapter 20 - Medicine
Chapter 21 - Picnic
Chapter 22 - Sadie is Back
Chapter 23 - Looks Like Blue
Chapter 24 - River
Chapter 25 - Catch Up
Chapter 26 - One Bottle of ...
Chapter 27 - My Eyes
Chapter 28 - Letting Go
Chapter 29 - My Dax
Chapter 30 - Four Medium Baggies
Chapter 31 - A Dream
Chapter 32 - Oceancrush
Chapter 33 - Samoan
Chapter 34 - VIP Tent
Chapter 35 - Heats
Chapter 36 - Hang Ten
Chapter 37 - Unexpected Visitor
Chapter 38 - Crazy
Chapter 39 - Two Dates
Chapter 40 - Offer
Chapter 42 - Congratulations
Chapter 43 - A Lovely Summer
Chapter 44 - Grilling
Chapter 45 - Plans

Chapter 41 - New Begin

1.1K 86 18
moudenes द्वारा

DYLAN

Ross reads the newspaper while nibbling on toast and I enjoy my second cup of coffee. Anthony left already to help Hayden bring supplies from the Beach Club to the tent. He is the perfect guest; quiet, clean and keeps his things organized. When I woke up, I found him cooking breakfast for the three of us. He even left two small servings of fruit in the fridge for later.

I turn on my laptop to check the Rip Curl blog. I can't get enough of the news regarding the surfing festival. Derek and his team do an excellent job with their limited resources and I want to help them.

Dax and I gave a heads-up of the plans to Valentina. She helped us to compile their expenses and where they can use the cash to expand their operation. Now I need to convince Derek to accept our proposal. I would love to have them in my portfolio.

I open the blog, and feel a mix of excitement, embarrassment and surprise as I read the top entry. It's an article about Puka written by Valentina and Derek.

"No shit! Ross, did you know about this?" I point at the screen.

Ross' eyebrows shoot up in surprise as he reads the entry. The article begins with compliments about their excellent performance of yesterday, which has them on the first spot in the standing. It features a short replay of the events with quotes from their participants.

"The reputation of this humble blog is being tarnished by the popular brand with accusations of favoritism towards Kalani," Ross reads. "Instead of wasting their time on irrelevant finger-pointing, the board should keep a close eye on their training staff and lower management. It's confirmed by reliable sources that drugs flowed freely during Puka's pre-festival party. One of their competitors is on probation for doping, and another participant had to compete in the quarter-finals after suffering an ankle injury which was cleverly disguised with surfing booties. Goodness, this is a kiss and a slap to the face in one go."

"What will happen now? Will they get in trouble?" I ask.

"Nah, they won't. They are telling the truth. Other people in the press area knew about the guy with the injury. Puka's trainers made him issue a statement saying he was okay to continue, but we knew it was bullshit. The guy was in obvious pain. As for the guy on probation, they brought him as an additional replacement. I think little will happen with him. Now, what will happen for sure is that the injured surfer will be substituted. Everyone knows now. I guess this will be bad luck for them; probably their substitutes are not that good. This festival is more of a commercial showcase for the brands than a regular competition. At least that is what Derek told me."

"Oh, so it isn't for real," I feel disappointed.

"Don't get upset, baby. This is a real competition, there are large cash prizes involved, and the organization is official. The difference is that now the teams represent the brands when usually it's about individual surfers, who are sponsored, doing their best during a heat to wow the judges," he caresses my cheek. "You are also a brand, well Kalani is, so you fit perfectly in this competition."

"I'm nervous for today. I envy Anthony plenty. He is just enjoying himself and doesn't have to think about performing."

"You don't need to be nervous. Your set was splendid, and you should be very proud. Derek told me that many professionals can't do a 360, and you dared to do it."

I smile at his words. I saw a chance and tried it, but wasn't sure if it would work. When I landed behind the wave and was still standing, I panicked for a second before realizing I wasn't done. I finished the ride with a very unskilled cutback, but I didn't fall.

"I will head to the beach. Are you coming as well?" I ask.

"I have a meeting at the magazine first, and I'll be back on time for the competition," he says. I kiss his lips softly and get dressed.

Loud music and laughter come from the tent as I walk closer to it. Either the guys are pumped with energy or are celebrating something. I feel so much joy as I come inside. Sadie and River sit on one couch and are surrounded by everybody.

"Sweet Dylan! Come here and give me a hug! Where is your other half?" Sadie opens her arms for me.

"He had a meeting, but will be here later," I hug her and then shake hands with River. "How come they have released you both? I thought they would keep you hospitalized longer," I say to River.

"We are both doing better than they expected and can continue recovering at home," River says. "I didn't want to miss much more of the competition and the party."

"If it gets too much for us, we will go home. I didn't want to miss this either," Sadie pats River's knee.

"I'm part of Kalani and have a right to be here. I worked hard for the launch party and mounting this place, plus I missed two dates already. I only wish my wound didn't itch so much. Everybody keeps telling me it's normal, but it's so damn annoying," River rubs his lower belly.

"Well, we are all together now," Jax says while putting his arms over mine and Skye's shoulders. "I don't need to give a pep talk anymore. Have fun out there, be safe, and think fast. We all love you. No matter the outcome, we feel very proud of you."

I'm still getting used to how affectionate and warm these people are. I love all of them. We use the hours before the competition to eat, relax and enjoy each other's company. I'm helping to cut lemon wedges for the bar when I suddenly feel a tap on my shoulder. Dax stares at me with a concerned face.

"Dylan, a lady at the entrance says she is your mother," he whispers in my ear.

I frown at his words. My mom? Why would she come to this little village to look for me? Why would she look for me? I feel hesitant, but walk outside to meet her. She stands at the entrance of the tent looking out of place in her dressy clothes and flats.

"Mother?"

She looks at me with surprise and takes a few steps forward. Her hand caresses my cheek and then rubs my arm. What is going on here?

"Hello, Dylan."

"What are you doing here? How did you find me?"

"One lady at the club has a grandson who has been talking highly about a new surfing team called Kalani. He showed her a picture of the team, and she recognized you. I asked my assistant to go online to find more information. You know I'm a disaster with technology. She tracked the team to this festival. I asked around for you, and got pointed to this place," she takes a peek inside.

"Would you like to come in? This is our VIP tent. We are using it as the headquarters during the festival," I say, and she nods.

Her ice blue eyes take in everything. I feel proud of our efforts and don't regret the money I spent to achieve all of this. The people scattered throughout the place get quieter when they realize we have a visitor.

"Team, this is my mother, Amber Harris," I say, and they all reply with different greetings.

"Pleased to meet you. I'm Sadie, and I'm the mom of..." she gazes around and smiles. "Well, a big part of this clan. I'm sorry I can't stand up to greet you properly as I'm recovering from surgery. Your son is an extraordinary man. We are so happy he has become part of our family together with his Ross. Oh! There he is," she points at the entrance.

Ross comes inside the tent. I'm about to freak out or faint... one of the two for sure.

"Hey, babe. What's going on?" Ross kisses my cheek.

"Ross, this is my mom, Amber Harris. Mom, this is my fiancé Ross Wood," I introduce them. Ross looks at me with surprise and as quickly regains his composure.

"Pleasure to meet you, ma'am," he shakes her hand gently.

"Dylan?" Sadie calls. "Why don't you, Ross and your mom have a seat? I guess you have a lot to catch up. Anthony? Sweetheart, can you make her one of those delicious watermelon drinks?" Anthony smiles at her and gets to work.

My mom takes a seat on one sofa available. I sit next to her, and Ross sits next to me.

"Shouldn't you all be warming up or doing something else instead of staring?" Sadie says to the rest and lifts an eyebrow in that little menacing way I have also learned to fear.

The group splits, and most of them go outside or back to their conversation. Sadie gives me an encouraging nod.

"Why are you here? Why now? You haven't spoken to me in over two years," I try to keep my temper under control.

"I didn't know where you were. Your father forbade me to look for you. You probably know he passed away recently. I feel bad to admit I was relieved because we never had a good marriage. That cold house suddenly felt empty, a golden cage, and I realized that I missed you more than ever. I love you, Dylan. I only don't know how to be loving towards you or anybody else. I wish I could be like her," she looks at Sadie, who caresses River's cheek. "After what happened at that restaurant, I felt shocked about how your father reacted. I always knew you were interested in men and didn't care. Your father punished me once for mentioning your name," she touches her cheek absentmindedly. "It was fate someone recognized you."

"He wouldn't have cared either if I died. I got diagnosed with cancer the week after the restaurant incident. I went through the treatment alone. How do you think that feels?" my voice trembles. She looks at me with wide eyes.

"I- I'm sorry Dylan. Oh God, I'm just- and I wasn't there for you," she says in a choked voice and clears the tears running down her cheeks with her hands.

"Dylan, she is here for you now. A new beginning," Ross places his hand on my thigh. I look at his handsome face and understand what he means.

"Mom, let's forget about the past and save our relationship," I put my hand on her arm.

She looks at me with so much sadness and guilt. This is the first time I see my mom cry. I put my arms around her, and she hugs me hard. I can't help it and sniffle. Ross rubs my back in a soothing gesture. She calms down, and Ross brings us some napkins from the bar.

"And you are getting married..." Mom dabs at her eyes.

"Dylan is the best thing that has happened to me. I'm happy we will spend the rest of our lives together," Ross says.

"I always liked redheads. I don't know why I ended up with your father. Well, his hair didn't last long anyway," she laughs.

I'msurprised at her words and realize there is a lot I don't know about my mom.

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

Easier to Lie Stephanie Allen द्वारा

किशोर उपन्यास

47 0 37
Reggie and Leah have always been best friends. Upon high school graduation, they make their first unsupervised vacation trip to Myrtle Beach. They ne...
21.9K 262 10
Shorehaven, a place you either love or hate, no in between. Some wish to stay here forever other want to never land a foot here. Mar can't picture he...
This Love | ✓ Amethyst द्वारा

किशोर उपन्यास

855K 38.4K 57
Love isn't always enough. --- "Ahhh this is one of the greatest books I've ever read." - @hatersarelovers "I loved this book so so so SO much! I enjo...
The Surfer's Heart Holly Jaye द्वारा

किशोर उपन्यास

96.1K 1.7K 14
When Brooke Adams hears of an upcoming surfing competition taking place but minutes from her home on the island of Oahu, she sees no choice but to en...