Chapter 2 - Grommet

DYLAN

Everyone said to follow the main road towards the south, and I will arrive to the beach with no problems. I hope this is the place I'm looking for. I wrote no instructions on how to get to my destination and dislike navigation systems as the electronic voices irritate the hell out of me.

I moved recently to the west side of Sea Glass Beach, but haven't taken time yet to explore the whole place. Whenever I need something, I head to the nearest city which is only half an hour away. I'm trying to push myself to new experiences and it's why I've booked a surfing lesson.

After the last turn, the road ends in front of what looks like a boulevard with a large parking lot. Big and colorful signs welcome me to the beach, and I take the place in after parking my car. It seems I'm mistaken about this village. The place is modern and as I look at the directory at the entrance, I realize it has much more than I expected. The Boulevard is a long building filled with beachwear stores, restaurants, and souvenir shops. Looking at the layout, I see the place I need is straight at the beach. The email I received said to go straight to the counter.

I walk down the stairs as it is a two-story building. A radio station occupies the first space at the start of the long structure, and their music blasts towards the beach area. I always thought places like these were meant for relaxation, but for what I can see it's just a big party. It is close to eleven in the morning, and the place bustles with activity. The radio DJ announces a surfing festival through the speakers, and he seems excited about a person called Blue Smith.

The scent of fried fish fills the air. People walk around with bags of fries, yards of beer hanging from their necks, melting ice cream cones and a curly pastry dusted with sugar. I need to find out where the last one comes from. It looks interesting and must taste delicious.

I see white sails in the middle of the beach area. As I get closer, I find a bar in the middle of them surrounded by glass tables, chairs, beach beds and lounging sofas full with tanned people in swimsuits. Next to it is a small swimming pool where people sit while soaking their legs as it is not big enough to swim in the length.

The more I walk around, the more out of place I feel. I should have at least worn shorts and sandals instead of jeans and sneakers. Unfortunately, I don't own those kinds of clothes. I felt amused when I found something in my wardrobe that is not a business suit, training clothes or pajamas. Anyway, my body is so pale at the moment people should feel grateful I'm covered.

I watch my reflection in the windows, and at least I look like a regular human being again. My hair has grown back, and it is a darker blonde than it used to be. I have eyebrows again. It is funny how you don't even pay attention to your own eyebrows until you lose them.

At a young age, I had achieved what it takes other people a lifetime. I was only 30 years old at the peak of my career in stock trading. When I got ill two years ago, I sold my stocks for a fortune and enjoyed my life, or the rest of what I had left of it. To my good luck, I healed, but the doctors recommended me to get out of the city and move to a place with a slower pace. I wouldn't describe Sea Glass Beach right now as slow-paced.

I see a bunch of scattered surfboards at the end of the wooden boardwalk, so I must be getting closer to the store. Hanging from the ceiling is a big sign with beautiful hand painted art with 'surfing lessons' written on it. The arrow under it points to a store. I see I have arrived at my destination.

Heading inside, I see an impressive and colorful assortment of surfing boards. I head to the counter in the middle where a beautiful blonde girl is on the phone. She is the image of a beach commercial model. Her skin is golden, and her straight hair looks sun bleached. She smiles at me and lifts her finger, asking for a moment. Her eyes are gray.