The Girl on the Bus (REWRITE...

By restlessbookreader

Blake Willis is the hotshot of high school. He's rich, smart and insanely hot. When his car breaks down and... More

Character Aesthetics and Playlist
1
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29

7

2.7K 90 3
By restlessbookreader

CHAPTER 7

BLAKE

I wasn't sure how long we had talked on the phone. But next thing I knew my alarm was blaring and my phone was at ten percent.

I curse to myself and slip out of bed before grabbing my charger and throwing on the nearest shirt. I grab a pair of socks from my drawer and slip them on my feet before rushing down the stairs and into the kitchen.

My dad was seated at the table with a cup of coffee in one hand and his phone in the other. I knew he was working again today because he was already dressed in his crisp black suit and pearl white shirt. He paired it with one of the thousands of ties Sandy had given him and his hair was brushed back.

Nothing was out of place.

"Working again today?" I grumble to him as I take a seat at the table and Peggy places a plate of eggs and toast in front of me.

"What are your plans today Blake?" Sandy asks as she comes around the corner, planting a kiss on dads cheek.

I shrug through my mouth full of food. "Thought about going car shopping"

Sandy nods and I notice my dads jaw tense.

"Is there a problem?" I ask my dad.

He huffs and pockets his phone before crossing his hands in front of him.

"Don't think about asking for money. You're old enough to get your own job."

"Lee!" Sandy snaps at him.

I open my mouth to speak and tell him off but before I get the chance his phone rings. He stands and wipes his hands on his slacks before turning on his business voice and answering.

"This is Lee"

I roll my eyes and stand from my seat, sliding my arms through the sleeves of my jacket.

"You're not going to eat?" Sandy asks me as I grab my wallet.

"Lost my appetite" I spit before slamming the front door shut.

It never fails with him. Work has always been his priority. Over the years I've had to learn that the hard way. By now I don't expect any different.

Once I reach the park I dig in my pockets and curse to myself when I realize my headphones aren't there.

I glance around the park as my stomach starts to growl, it's too early in the morning for the food trucks to be open yet but the quaint little diner on the corner was open.

The red blinking neon sigh welcomed me as I entered the run down building. This place has been around forever, but I haven't been here since before mom died.

"Hi! Welcome!" A graying lady dressed in a polo shirt and jeans chirps as I enter.

I smile at her and take a seat at the wooden countertop.

"My name is Nina, what can I get cha?"

I glance at the chalkboard menu behind her and my eyes instantly land on my moms favorite food.

"I'll take the western omelet with a side of fruit and a strawberry milkshake"

Nina smiles at me and writes my order down on a piece of paper before ringing a bell and placing it on a rack.

She returns shortly after with my milkshake that was topped with whipped cream and fresh strawberries. Nina had stuck a red and white striped straw in the cup before she gave it to me.

I take a sip and the cold creamy shake makes my lips freeze but it was worth it. This was the best damn strawberry shake I've ever had.

"Blake?"

I whip my head up and face the brown eyes beauty that has been absorbing my thoughts.

"Hey Van, what uh, what are you doing here?"

She smiles at me and I can't help but admire her. Her hair was pulled into a ponytail and she had hair that had fallen out and was framing her face. Her cheeks were flushed and she had black framed glasses covering her eyes.

She was beautiful.

"I work here dork" she says with a giggle. "What are you doing here? I haven't seen you in here before."

"I used to come here with my mom, and I passed by and got hungry." I reply nonchalant and a shrug.

She nods and tucks some stray hair behind her ear.

"I was actually going to go car shopping, do you wanna come?"

He eyes widen and a smile breaks out across her face.

"I get off in about thirty minutes. Wait for me?"

"Of course" I reply with a smile.

**

"How was the omelet?" Van asks as we step out of the diner.

"Delicious" I state with a smile.

I wasn't lying, it was the best I've had in a long time.

"So which dealership are we going to?" She asks as she takes the hair tie out of her hair.

I watch as her brown locks cascade down her back and tumble over her shoulders. I was entranced. I could barely think let alone speak.

"Uh-" I pause and clear my throat before turning my attention away from her.

"I was thinking of going to Ralph's. He knows the best cars and I know he won't let me down."

She nods and hums in agreement before stuffing her headphones in her sweater pocket.

"No music today?" I tease with a smirk.

She directs a playful glare at me before punching me lightly in the arm.

"I wanted to try something different, it's called conversation? Not sure how it works but it wouldn't hurt to try"

I laugh lightly as Ralph's shop comes in to view.

"You know my dad taught me all about cars when I was younger. It was just him and I. Hell I could take an engine apart and assemble it again with no problems. He was always in our garage tinkering with parts and scraps from cars he had come across at the dump."

"He not around anymore?"

She tilts her head to the side and lifts and eyebrow in confusion.

"You keep saying 'he was' not 'he is' did he pass on?"

I notice the shift in her demeanor and the way her skin paled. All the color drained from her and her eyes darkened with an unreadable emotion.

"My dad is dead" she snaps

I'm taken aback by her harsh tone but before I can reply Ralph comes out of his office.

"Why are you never on time?" He asks me crossing his muscled arms over his chest.

"Something came up" I tell him with a smirk.

He glances at Van who had softened up a bit, before quickly glancing back at me and giving me a look.

"Ralph this is Vanessa, Van this is my friend Ralph"

Ralph's eyes light up as he shakes her hand.

"So this is the girl huh?"

My cheeks flush red from embarrassment as her head whips in my direction.

"The girl?" She repeats. "What girl?"

Ralph lets out a deep booming laugh before clapping his hand on my shoulder.

"The distraction."

Van looks slightly offended, and Ralph catches on because he continues to talk.

"Blake talked my ear off about you the other day. Said he wasn't studying for his SATs because he was to distracted. Now I know why."

She glances at me with an amused expression on her face.

Thanks Ralph.

"A distraction huh?" She says as a smirk curves up the corners of her lips.

She was enjoying this way too much.

I smile sheepishly back at her and she sends a wink back to me before following Ralph into the garage, where he kept the lines of cars he had for sale.

I watched entranced as her hips swayed from side to side. I didn't know if she was doing it in purpose or not but damn.

I'm in so much trouble.

Fuck.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.6M 129K 59
BOOK COMPLETE - EDITION ONGOING. This work is intended for an 18+ audience. I stop searching for it and stand in front of him, perplexed. Is he sayin...
402K 8.9K 26
{Highest Ranking: #160 in Teen Fiction & #1 in Love at First Sight} Zac Logan thought he had everything. His parents were filthy rich. He was captain...
473K 11K 39
Danielle Martin isn't a typical girl in high school. She doesn't wear tight clothes or pounds of makeup, she isn't popular and isn't really a big fan...
13.1K 366 21
You’re just living you’re normal daily life school home and shit one day from your extra course on your way to home you go in a bus take a seat take...