All This Time

By Shining18

Byleth hadn't meant to fall in love, but a certain Deer won't stop following her around everywhere. "Say, Tea... More

White Clouds
The Golden Deer
Alive
Suspicion
Wounds
Stargazing
The Dance
The Cause of Sorrow
Grieving
Running on Revenge
Trust
A New Look
The Dagger
The Diary
A Divine Revelation
The Flame Emperor
Undetected
One Wish
Those Three Words
Defend the Monastery
Broken Promises
Instinct
Losing Hope
Reunion
Reunion: Byleth
Verdant Wind
No More Door!
Tired
Peaceful Days
Heartbeats
Heat and Fish
Defend the Monastery...Till the Very End
As I Am
Rhea and Edelgard
Backup
Nightmares
Those Five Years...
Ashe
The Wonders of Divine Pulse
Judith
Judith Pt II
Trust Me
A Little Awkward
The Next Plan
Charms
Surprise!
The Great Bridge
Ferdinand
The Downsides of Divine Pulse
Battle of the Eagle and Deer
The Archer
I Know
Training
Archery
Could You Imagine?
The Battle at Gronder
Fire Burning
Quick Survey
Dimitri
The Carnage
Unexpected Visitor
Responsibility
Braids of Action
Reach for my Hand...
The...Flame Emperor?
Run For Cover
Javelins of Light
Barbarossa
Secrets
I'll Soar Away
The Palace
Edelgard
When It Rains, It Pours
Rhea
Into The Dawn
Musiciality
Repose
Let Her Go
Just A Little Poison
I Feel Pretty
Long Overdue
The Immaculate One
Critical Fail
The Truth
After
The New Dawn
I Wish I Could Stay...
Not This Time
Setting Off
The Missing King
Almyra
Responsibility
Even Now?
A Drag
The Future of FΓ³dlan
One Week
Starting A Rebellion
Dear Teach
Conflict
To A New FΓ³dlan
True Almyran
Almost Perfect
A Suspicious Old Friend
Nausea
Almyran Heat
The News
Conflicting Priorities
Reactions
Message From The King
Girls Night
Crowning
Alarm
To The Rescue
The King's Return
I Do
Precautions
That Person's Name Is...
Epilogue
Closing Note
Bonus: Mommy's Birthday
Poll
Bonus: Quarantine!
Bonus: Secret Song
Poll #2
Bonus: #Blacklivesmatter
Bonus: Legends Never Die
Three Hopes: A Review

Keeping Distance

1.4K 54 4
By Shining18

"Hey, Teach. Are you alright?"

Byleth felt a hand grasp her arm from behind, and she grit her teeth. It was Claude. Lately, she'd been avoiding him; hell, she'd been spending more time with Edelgard! It seemed that he'd finally managed to catch up.

"Yes, Claude. I'm fine. Why do you ask?"

"Well...You never seek me out anymore," Claude told her. "I've gone looking for you, but you're never around."

"I'm fine," Byleth replied sharply. She couldn't help herself from throwing extra snark towards him, and the words left her mouth before she could stop them. "Just leave me alone. I don't expect you to care about me anymore."

"You...don't expect me to care about you anymore? But...you're my Teach," Claude said, dismayed. He looked...confused. The phrase that had previously filled her with unbelievable amounts of joy just felt like a punch in the gut. His Teach. Byleth knew better. Now she was just someone for him to be wary of. "Tell me what's wrong."

"Nothing is wrong-"

"Don't lie to me," Claude demanded. His grip inadvertently tightened on her arm. "You can't say that, and then say it's 'nothing'. What's wrong?!"

"It doesn't matter!" Byleth had never felt so frustrated before in her life. Her feelings were damaged, and she was unable to stop herself from speaking. "I...I thought we were friends, Claude. Then you go and treat me like...like I'm nothing!"

"You...You think I thought you were nothing?" Claude laughed harshly, his emerald eyes staring intently at her. "Teach, you're everything. Whether you understand that or not, it doesn't change the fact that you mean everything."

Byleth just watched him, still tense.

"Teach, you...you do know that, right?" His voice held uncertainty in it, an emotion Byleth had never heard before from him. "You do mean everything to me."

"...Yeah, I know," Byleth ripped her arm from his grasp. "I know that I'm everything in your grand scheme of things. Now, good day, Claude!"

She stormed away before he could respond. Claude stood there with a stunned look on his face, before regret started to creep onto his features. He was speechless.

"Well, well. Claude himself, yelled at by the Professor? I think that's the first time I've seen her angry."

Edelgard walked over, accompanied by Hubert like usual. Claude was not in the mood for friendly chatter.

"You don't know the half of it," Claude sighed. "I've got to go find her. Take care of yourself, future princess."

He walked off after her, leaving Edelgard with an amused expression on her face.

On the contrary, Claude, Edelgard thought to herself. I know more about how she feels than you. I always will.

———

"Teach, come back!"

Claude cursed quietly. Somehow, his Teach has managed to sneak away deftly. He hadn't anticipated on her being upset; he had figured she'd just revert back to her stoicity.

That clearly hadn't happened.

Well, that was true for both of them. Claude had expected himself to let go of her, and for her to continue their friendship professionally, yet...Claude found himself longing to talk to her, and she had distanced herself from him.

She was a lot better at reading him than she should have been.

"I know that I'm everything in your grand scheme of things."

Well, he couldn't deny that accusation. But she had been starting to become...more than that. Someone who he trusted-

Trust? You know better. No one is trustworthy.

-someone that he liked. She was an excellent listener, and he enjoyed seeing her flustered. It was a stark contrast from her previous stone-faced ways. He loved seeing her expression light up when she saw him.

But Claude had now completely botched that.

"C'mon Teach, you can't be mad forever," Claude muttered to himself. "She'll come around. I'm sure of it."

Byleth didn't seek him out once.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 435 65
In a continent plagued with inner conflict, unfortunate struggles, and an imbalance of power, FΓ³dlan resides in a state of unsuspecting threat. Howev...
357 18 9
After the defeat of Rhea and Thales, the Adrestian Empire prepares for battle with Dimitri and The Kingdom in one final confrontation. At the capital...
33K 1.3K 98
"BYLETH, YOU'RE DYING." Those were the words Byleth Eisner had heard her entire life...but it had never rang true. She had always known that the doct...
167K 3K 37
if you're requesting: please check the requests tab for the important stuff you should know! <3 if you're reading: i hope you enjoy yourself! <3