The Dance

None of the art is mine, by the way. No idea who drew any of it, but it's beautiful!

Everyone was enjoying themselves.

The students had dressed up in their finest, dancing the night away. Dimitri looked amazing as he danced with a female Byleth didn't know, and Edelgard was as elegant as ever as she glided across the floor. Byleth smiled. Everything was right.

Well, except for one thing.

Byleth felt empty again.

She didn't know why. Being with her students was helping her realize that she had feelings, and she could feel emotions. Yet, she just felt...Empty again all of a sudden.

You may not know, but I think it's rather obvious! Sothis exclaimed inside of her head. Byleth could just picture the green haired goddess cracking up, and it made her wince.

What is it, Sothis?

Now, now, don't you think you should figure it out yourself? It'll be worth the wait!

Byleth sighed at the answer, and turned to her right. Edelgard was about to excuse herself from her partner in order to take Byleth dancing. Annoyed by her lack of emotions again, Byleth walked off to the snack table (to drown her sorrow, of course) but, before she could go anywhere, she made eye contact with Claude.

He smiled at her, and made his way over to her. She felt something flutter in her chest, and Sothis cackled loudly. Before Byleth could protest, he grabbed her hand, winked at her, and then lead her onto the dance floor. Byleth didn't notice Edelgard's glare at Claude as Edelgard remained dancing.

"W-Wait, I don't...I don't know how to dance," Byleth's face reddened as he pulled her onto the dance floor. "C-Claude..."

"Don't worry, Teach, I'll help you out."

He held one hand on her waist, the other grasping her hand. They began to twirl, and Byleth gasped out, holding onto his shoulder with her other hand. He chuckled as they danced.

Claude was leading her, making sure she didn't step on anyone's toes and Byleth felt herself blushing intensely. Why the hell was she-

-Feeling like...this?

Byleth, don't be ridiculous. You know why, Sothis scolded her.

Um, I really don't know why.

Are you dense?!

"What's with the worried look, Teach?" He questioned, the smile slipping off of his face. Seeing his smile disappear made her feel hollow again.

"J-Just thinking."

"You must have a lot on your mind for such a happy occasion."

Well, you're certainly a lot, Claude.

They continued to dance, and Byleth found herself laughing. She was by no means a good dancer, and the amount of times Claude had to pull her back up was astounding. At the very least, he was gracious about it. He didn't complain a single time about her lack of grace.

"Sorry," Byleth mumbled once again, suppressing a laugh. He merely grinned at her, his emerald eyes glimmering with excitement in the light.

"No worries, Teach. You didn't grow up in an environment like this."

Neither did I, Claude wanted to say. But it wasn't like he could tell her that. You and I, we're outsiders together.