Convincing Amy (Amy, #1)

By SteffyFox

A decade of hurt; a lifetime of loss. Amy Carter has been through what most people could only imagine. Memori... More

Prologue: Convincing Amy
Chapter 01: The Letter
Chapter 02: A Strange Request
Chapter 03: Take Flight
Chapter 04: New Friends
Chapter 05: Grateful
Chapter 06: Study Group
Chapter 07: Relationships
Chapter 08: First Words
Chapter 09: Already Taken
Chapter 10: Invitation
Chapter 11: Beliefs
Chapter 12: Matthew's Hand
Chapter 13: Unplanned
Chapter 14: Released
Chapter 15: Different
Chapter 16: Distractions
Chapter 17: Realisation
Chapter 18: Ignorant
Chapter 19: Uncontrollable
Chapter 20: Memories
Chapter 21: Loved
Chapter 22: Reminded
Chapter 23: Sleepover
Chapter 24: Perfect
Chapter 25: Feeling Foreign
Chapter 26: Reality
Chapter 27: Scholarships and Relationships
Chapter 28: Longing
Chapter 29: Waking
Chapter 30: Fascination
Chapter 31: Proof
Chapter 32: Advice
Chapter 33: Compromise
Chapter 34: Jealousy
Chapter 35: Words
Chapter 36: Disturbances
Chapter 37: Innocence
Chapter 38: Graduation
Chapter 39: Reluctance
Chapter 40: Alone
Chapter 41: Convinced

Epilogue: Matrimony

49.9K 427 112
By SteffyFox

Epilogue
MATRIMONY

Five years later...

Through the stained glass windows of the fine oak doors, Amy took a chanced peek at the scene awaiting her. Almost a hundred people of all sizes and colours were joined in the steamy church building for one of the world's most beautiful ceremonies. Amy recognised only half of the faces here but that did not dampen her spirits.

"Amy, come on, stop dawdling. Come here." It was Donna, nagging as she always did when she was stressed.

"Calm down, Donna," Amy smiled, skipping over to where Donna was attaching some last minute flower decorations to her intricate hair style. "You've been through this before. Why are you nervous? You're only a bridesmaid this time!"

"Yes, but Jake Hamilton and a hundred reporters will be in that church!" squealed Donna, helping Amy tie in a few last-minute accessories.

"No, Jake's refused to have any photographers in there except the actual wedding photographer. I thought Yani told you that? Anyway, Jake wants it to be kept private from the media... well, as private as it can be."

"Whatever, come on, it's almost time."

With that, Donna and Amy collected their matching flower bouquets of white lilies and red carnations before moving to stand in front of the grand oak doors where Amy had been previously. It was a few minutes before Yani finally came around the corner accompanied by her father, Parri Ulla. She clung to his arm with all the strength she had, looking as though she would faint at any moment. She wore an elegant white gown with the finest gold jewellery, her hair a priceless masterpiece.

"Yani!" both Donna and Amy exclaimed at once, taking it in turn to embrace their friend and Mr Ulla. Such contact brought out Yani's torrent of tears.

"I... can't... be--lieve... this... is... happ--ening..." she sobbed into Amy's shoulder.

"Woah, Yani, calm down - you'll ruin your make up," rushed Donna, prying Yani's face away from the light pink fabric of Amy's bridesmaid dress. All three girls laughed.

"I love you two so much," Yani sobbed some more, reaching out to embrace both Donna and Amy at once.

"Aw, Yanz," Donna cooed before Mr Ulla cleared his throat.

"It's time to go, girls."

Each girl wiped their eyes clear of salty tears before assembling themselves before the oak doors once more. Mr Ulla took Yani's arm and stood with her behind Donna and Amy, supporting his overwhelmed daughter. Wagner's traditional march sounded throughout the church and one could hear everyone's breath stalling in anticipation. Two doormen opened the large doors before Donna and Amy, who slowly made their way down the aisle, smiling at those whose watery faces they met. They were halfway down the aisle when they knew Yani had stepped into view - everyone drew breath at the beauty in which she carried.

After what seemed like a whole kilometre, Donna and Amy arrived at the altar and moved to stand behind the celebrant, beside Jake's best men, Matthew Hamilton and Nathan North, the latter being a friend of Jake. Amy gave a wink and a smile in return for the grin Matthew gave her, feeling incredible. She put away all playfulness, however, as Yani fast approached the altar herself where she and her father paused at the foot of the stairs. Jake seemed frozen with emotion, but after a prolonged silence, he stepped down to meet his future wife. Mr Ulla, through poorly hidden tears, gave Jake Yani's hand before walking to his seat in the audience beside his own wife, Tallara.

Jake and Yani walked up the few steps to the celebrant together, facing away from the audience. Amy could see Yani's watery eyes and smiled at her beauty.

"Ladies and gentlemen," began the aged celebrant, "we gather here today to witness the matrimony of Jacob Hamilton and Yani Ulla. I now ask you all to, please, be seated." The audience sat down rather noisily, and after a few moments, the celebrant continued with the traditional speech before it came time for Jake's and Yani's personal vows.

Jake took a deep, shaking breath and faced Yani and looked deep into her brown eyes, holding her small hands in his own. "Yani, I'm not really quite sure how we met, but I'm overjoyed that we did. I mean, look what it's done for us: the most beautiful daughter any man could ever ask for, and of course, marriage." Yani breathed in her tears. "I love you and Natalie more than anyone and, um, far out, I forgot what I was going to say," Jake mumbled, making Yani smile and giggle, but no one else seemed to hear the muck-up. "I just want to say that I think you are the most beautiful woman in the world. You accepted me as a human being at times that I didn't think I could have possibly been, and you've given me the greatest gift of life. I thank your mother and father for allowing me your hand in marriage, as I couldn't possibly imagine my life with anyone else. And, um, I can't remember what else I wanted to say," he smiled, ashamed of his forgetfulness. Yani sighed in amusement, as did the celebrant and the audience.

"And Yani? Your vows?"

Yani nodded and took a very deep breath to steady herself. "Jake. You're my life, my love, my future, my everything. I love you more than words can say. I love you, our daughter and everything we have together. I'll love you forever more, support you in all of your greatest ambitions, so long as you treat me no differently than you would Her Royal Majesty, the Queen."

A few murmured giggles arose from the audience, but Amy noticed the stern look of Julia Hamilton at the casual way in which her son and Yani spoke. She looked as though she was going to vomit, and Amy tried to clear her mind of such an image as the celebrant spoke again.

"Okay then. Now, Jacob, I ask you to repeat after me. 'In the name of God, I, Jacob Lee Hamilton'..."

"In the name of God, I, Jacob Lee Hamilton..."

"...'choose you, Yani Alkira Tinka Korra Yindi Ulla, to be my wife'..."

Yani rolled her eyes at her excessively long name as Jake repeated, "...choose you, Yani Korra - no - Yani Alkira Tinka Korra Yindi Ulla, to be my wife..."

The celebrant continued, "...'to have and to hold'..."

"...to have and to hold..."

"...'from this day forward'..."

Jake's eyes welled up as he chanted, "...from this day forward..."

"...'for better or for worse'..."

This time, Jake's voice broke with his tearful emotion. "...for better or for worse..."

"...'for richer or poorer'..."

"...for richer or poorer..."

"...'in sickness and in health'..."

"in - in sickness and in health..."

"...'to honour and respect'..."

Yani cried as Jake repeated, "...to honour and respect..."

"...'to love and to cherish.' "

There was a pause whilst Jake and Yani composed themselves before the celebrant continued. " 'I say these words because I love you'..."

"I say these words because I love you..."

"...'and choose to live the rest of my life with you.' "

"...and choose to live the rest of my life with you."

" 'This is my solemn vow.' "

Emphasising each word, Jake repeated, "This is my solemn vow," sending Yani into a fit of uncontrollable emotion where she did not hold back her tears. This made Jake's own emotion come free some more, but they both composed themselves a little before Yani repeated the same vow. They both then exchanged rings before the celebrant declared them husband and wife. They kissed, cried some more, and led all their guests out of the church and to the local town hall where the reception party was to be held.

As soon as he decided it was safe to do so, Matthew reached over and took Amy's hand before kissing her with burning passion. "That'll be us one day," he murmured, twisting the small silver engagement ring on Amy's left hand.

Amy rolled her eyes as she made her way back down the aisle with Matthew and multiples of other guests. "Yes, but that day is way, way, in the future."

Matthew smiled, having known that would have been his answer. "I can't believe my brother's married! Little, teensy-tiny Jakey-poo. Married to your friend, of all people!"

"And what's wrong with Yani?"

"Absolutely nothing. She's an amazing woman. I'm merely astonished at the coincidence of such a thing! Wouldn't have happened if you never mentioned her to him."

Amy seemed to disagree. "Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that. Jake seemed pretty desperate for a girlfriend back in the States. I'm sure he'd have followed you out here eventually. Then it would have been only a matter of time before they met."

"True," Matthew breathed, leaning in to kiss his fiancé.

"C'mon," Amy said, towing Matthew behind her. "I want to catch the bouquet this time."

***

The reception party of Mr and Mrs Jake Hamilton's wedding went smoothly. Everyone ate plentiful amounts and laughed with friends and family of either spouse. Amy sat between Donna and Yani, and Matthew sat on the opposite side of the bridal table, in between Jake and Nathan. Yani and Jake sat side by side, with Natalie seated on Jake's lap, fast asleep.

Jake made a toast to his new wife, and then John Hamilton, in spite of all his opposition to his son's choice in a wife, gave the pair the blessing of himself and Julia Hamilton, as well as acknowledging Yani's large family. Mr Ulla did the same, half of his speech being in his native tongue, which only Yani and her siblings seemed to understand. Jake had looked besotted.

And after all the formalities were through, the partying began, beginning with Jake and Yani's first dance as a married couple. They twirled across the shining floor, with tears spilling from Yani's eyes. Mr and Mrs Ulla soon danced alongside them, and after Jake's parents began, other couples began, with many smiles and cries of laughter being shared.

Matthew took Amy's hand and brought her to the dance floor, refusing to let anyone else dance with her for the first five songs.

"What?" Matthew asked after Amy gave him a reproachful look after sending one of Yani's cousins on his merry way.

"Nothing," Amy said, smiling. "I love you." She leaned up and kissed him lightly before continuing with the dance.

"You know," Matthew said after a few moments of silence between them, "this is, like, the fourth wedding we've been to in only five years."

"Five," Amy corrected. "Allie and Jackson renewed their vows last month."

"Yeah, but that doesn't really - okay, five weddings," Matthew amended after seeing Amy's scathing look. "I was really surprised that Pip and Nick didn't end up together! They seemed like such an agreeable couple."

Upon returning to Australia, Nick had reunited with one of his high school girlfriends, Felicity Haverford. They'd married only two years ago, and now Felicity was pregnant with their first child. From what Amy had gathered, Nick had never spoken to Pippa since their split took place in New Haven.

Pippa, meanwhile, had finished her law degree and met a young business man, Simon Bradbury. They married only a few months after Nick and Felicity, and had since adopted a son from Cambodia. The three of them were now living in a lovely home in Perth's outer suburbs, but had very little contact with Amy and Matthew now.

Donna had become Mrs Roberts after the birth of her second child - and first daughter - Savannah. She felt guilty for having had two children out of wedlock, and proposed to Spencer only months after Savannah's birth. They married only months later, and Donna was currently pregnant with their third child, due in late December.

"Amy!"

Amy looked down at the child pulling on her dress. She bent down and picked him up, hitching him on her hip.

"What's the matter, Ziggy?" she asked Donna's five-year-old son.

"I can't find Mummy."

Amy looked through the crowd, trying to find Donna or Spencer. Matthew did the same, and called, "She's over there, Zig."

Ziggy looked in the direction Matthew pointed and Amy placed him back on the ground so he could find her. She then fell back into Matthew's arms and began dancing with the rest of the wedding guests.

"Disappointed you didn't catch the bouquet?" Matthew taunted Amy.

She narrowed her eyes. "I will never forgive Delta for pushing me over."

Matthew smiled and kissed Amy's nose. "Maybe you won't have to catch the bouquet next time. Maybe you'll be throwing it instead."

"Matt..." Amy whined. "We've been through this a hundred times. I'm not ready yet. And I'm not ready for children either. Everyone's just rushing into it too early. It makes me look bad. But I'm not - times have changed. People don't get married at sixteen anymore."

"Well you're twenty-six now. Doesn't that count for something?"

"Matt..."

"Alright! Okay, no more wedding talk... for tonight."

***

As the wedding came to a close, Yani and Jake were driven away in a shining black limousine, both looking extraordinarily gleeful about their planned honeymoon to the Whitsundays. This left their daughter, Natalie, in the care of Amy and Matthew for the next week.

Most guests had left already, and it was mostly Yani's parents and Jake's parents left behind, helping the catering staff clear away the mess. Amy was coming to the point of exhaustion, and with Matthew noticing this, they left after saying quick goodbyes to all those left behind.

The pair crossed the dampened lawn to Amy's car where they buckled a sleeping Natalie into the car seat before seating themselves in the front seats, Amy insisting on driving.

"You've only got your Learner's, and you've had alcohol. And I don't yet trust you to drive at night."

Matthew rolled his eyes. "Amy, I've been driving since I was sixteen."

"Yes, on the wrong side of the road, too," she said as she turned onto the main highway. "Maybe after Christmas and New Year I'll let you drive at night. I am your supervisor, after all."

Matthew leaned over and kissed her grinning face.

"Matt! I've told you not to do that while I'm driving!"

"I know. But if I'm so immature that I'm not allowed to drive at night, then your wise words must just pass through one ear and out the other."

Amy groaned and clenched the steering wheel tighter. "You're impossible, you know that?"

"Yes," he answered, tucking a lock of her hair behind her ear. "But you love me nonetheless."

"True," Amy breathed, placing her hand over Matthew's which was positioned on her thigh. "Is Nat okay? I can't see."

Matthew turned his head and saw his niece fast asleep, dreaming innocent and happy things. "She's fine. Wait until she wakes up tomorrow and can't find Yani. She'll crack it."

"No she won't," Amy said positively. "Aunt Amy is way cooler than Mummy. We're still going to the zoo on Wednesday, right? She'll be too occupied to even worry about Yani and Jake not being around."

"If you say so..."

Amy smiled and patted Matthew's cheek whilst still keeping an eye on the road.

"You know," Matthew began as he looked out the darkened car window in the night, "I've never really gotten over the beauty of this place."

Amy only smiled as she pulled into the dirt driveway that led she'd bought with Matthew - Matthew's fortune had made sure that there was no mortgage to pay.

When Amy parked the car, Matthew helped her carry Natalie's things in whilst she took Natalie herself, and before soon, they had changed out of their formalwear and into comfortable sleeping clothes. Natalie was already back asleep in a temporary cot in Matthew and Amy's room when Amy crawled into bed beside Matthew, breathing a large yawn. She lay down beside him, kissed him a few times, and together, they drifted away into a dreamland which greatly mirrored the world they had created together that they would forever live.

Convincing Amy
© stephii 2010

Continue reading: Now that you've finished Convincing Amy, check out its sequel Recovering Amy.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hey! So I'm redrafting Convincing Amy in preparation for publishing. It would really awesome if you could provide me with some feedback via this survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/5QNPDP5

Thanks a bunch!
-- Steph xoxo 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.8K 122 40
When grief turns your life upside down and your mum forces you to the other side of the world, with a new world to explore and a cute art teacher to...
1.8K 79 7
Aurelia Sanchez was in her last year in senior high school. She just wanted to graduate and pursue college with a music major in mind. But when her f...
229 50 33
"Childhood friends, meeting again, and the feelings that follow." Lily Mae was a shy, homeschooled girl who grew to be punctual and respectful, thank...
4.1K 313 30
Harper Gregory just wants to graduate and get out of the picture-perfect suburb of Westbrook, Minnesota. She's tired of pretending to be the perfect...