Traveling Soldier

Af BrokenArrow17

Katie Walker hasn't always had the easiest life. Having her parents die at a young age has scarred her deep... Mere

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six

Chapter Four

3.3K 100 4
Af BrokenArrow17

"So, Kates, what was that last night?" Anna asks as I'm helping her into her wedding dress.

"I don't know what you mean," I say, refusing to meet her eyes.

"Oh really? From what I saw, a very handsome man was whispering sweet nothings in your ear and couldn't take his eyes off you throughout dinner," she teases.

Finally meeting her dark brown gaze, "Michael and I have met twice, last night was nothing."

"I don't believe you. I think you're hiding something. What else happened that night?"

"Nothing, I drove him home..."

"And...?" she prompts.

"And he invited me inside for a cup of coffee and gave me a pair of dry clothes and put mine in the dryer. We started watching a movie and never finished because my clothes were dry so I changed and...and he walked me to my car," I finally blurt out, leaving out the fact that he kissed me.

"You're still not telling me something. Something big," my cheeks heat up. I hate my sister so much, she knows far too much about me. "Spill."

"We kissed."

"What?!" she exclaims in disbelief. "You just met him and you're already making out? I'm impressed, Katie. You're finally learning to live a little."

"We did not make out!" I tell her. "It was one kiss and that was that. It was nice," I tell her, straightening her skirt, a small smile unconsciously gracing my lips.

"You are smitten," Anna tells me.

"I am not, I don't know him. How can I be smitten? And who says smitten anymore?" I laugh, standing upright and looking at my sister in the full length mirror, "you look beautiful."

"Thank you, so do you," she hugs me just as her four bridesmaids come in.

Laura, Jenny, Miranda, Victoria, and I are all in light purple bridesmaid dresses that fit in the bust and waist before flowing to the floor in soft waves of lavender chiffon. Anna's dress is breathtaking. It's a strapless sweetheart neckline that fits down to her waist before puffing out in a mountain of tulle like a cinderella ballgown. The satin bodice is covered in lace and has buttons up the back.

"Oh, Anna," Jenny squeals, "you look stunning! James is going to swallow his tongue!"

"I hope not," Anna laughs. "I kind of like his tongue," she winks at us, causing us all to erupt in fits of laughter.

"So do you have everything? Old, new, borrowed, and blue?" Laura asks, looking at both Anna and myself.

"No, I have something new and borrowed, but not old or blue. But, hey, two out of four ain't bad," she teases."

"Well, it's not!" Victoria tells her, gesturing to me.

"Well, Anna, you have your new earrings and you've borrowed my shoes, which I want back by the way," I joke. "And here is your somethings old and blue," I tell her, handing her a wrapped box. Inside was a vintage silver ring studded with white diamonds and blue sapphires and a matching silver hair comb to go above her veil.

"Oh my god, Katie, it's gorgeous. Where did you find this?" Anna asks, hands over her mouth, slipping the ring on her right middle finger and handing the comb to Jenny to put in her hair.

"Remember about a year ago when James proposed? Well, we went to a bunch of jewelry stores in Richmond, trying to find the perfect one, and I got bored and wandered into an antique store and here this was. I just had to buy it for you," I tell her, wiping a few tears that are falling from her eyes.

"I wish mommy and daddy were here," she whispers in my ear as she hugs me.

"They are," I whisper back, clipping a silver locket around her neck. "Open it." Anna does, and inside are pictures of our parents, smiling.

"Thank you, Katie. I love you so much."

"I love you, too," I smile. "Now no more crying. It's time for you to get married."

"It's time for me to get married," she whispers back. And let the games begin.

~*~

The day dawned bright and clear. It rained late last night, a wonderful late summer rain that cools muggy air and leaves the air crisp. The sky was a bright azure with white cotton candy clouds floated across its surface. Anna and James were to be married outdoors in a quaint flowered meadow of a large park in Wolf Creek. The park was essentially the woods, but it was gorgeous and classic, perfect for them.

White fold out chairs had white tulle bows tied around them and were placed in even rows on either side of a white satin aisle. The only thing saving us from sinking into the mud is the gazebo and stone paths the meadow is equipped with. The chairs were filled on both sides save for two the bride's. Anna had no idea, but James left two seats empty, white roses poised on each of the seats.

Victoria was the first down the aisle, followed by Jenny, Miranda, and Laura. They walked in tune to the classical music, flanking the gazebo and standing opposite James' groomsmen - Peter, Lucas, Gabe, and Henry. The tune changed and the traditional bridal march began. Anna and I checked our bouquets and she linked her arm with mine, took a deep breathe, and we began our way to her new life.

"I told you mommy and daddy were here," I whispered, nodding to the two empty seats. "James wanted them to be here for you."Tears filled her eyes, and her smile widened.

"He's perfect," she whispered back. I nodded, agreeing with her. I looked at James, and he had tears in his eyes, Michael had his hand clasped on his shoulder in silent encouragement.

Anna and I reached the gazebo and took our places, she handed me her bouquet and joined hands with James.

"Who gives this woman to this man?" the vicar asked.

I took a small step forward, making a pointed glance at the empty seats, "our parents and I do." I returned to my spot as the ceremony began. It was beautiful, no eye was dry. On occasion, Michael's and my eyes met and I got lost in the deep pools of blue.

"By the power invested in me by the state of Virginia, I now pronounce you man and wife, you may kiss your bride," the vicar said. James held Anna's face in his hands gently and kissed her for the first time as her husband. They separated to a wave of applause and I handed Anna her bouquet of white and lavender roses. Before they could step foot back down the aisle, Bruno Mars began to fill air from hidden speakers.

"It's a beautiful night, we're looking for something dumb to do, hey baby, I think I wanna marry you."

James looks at Anna, stopping them from walking a few steps down the aisle, "is it the look in your eyes, or is it this dancing juice? Who cares baby, I think I wanna marry you," he sang, twirling her as they continued walking.

"Well I know this little chapel on the boulevard we can go oh oh oh, no one will know oh oh oh, Oh come on, boy. Who cares if we're trashed, got a pocket full of cash we can blow oh oh oh, shots of Patron, and it's on boy," Anna said back, laughing as they jogged down the aisle. Michael and I following with Laura and Henry, Miranda and Gabe, Jenny and Lucas, and Victoria and Peter.

Bruno Mars continued to play, followed by a few other songs until the crowd cleared to go to the reception. We stuck around the meadow, taking pictures, talking, and laughing. Anna and I spun around in the sun, dancing to the Mamma Mia! version of Dancing Queen, in between the photographer's takes. He may have gotten a few snapshots of that, but we were enjoying her wedding day.

Finally, we left to the hotel where the reception was to take place. Anna and James were in a limo and each bridesmaid and groomsmen pair were in their own black Lincoln town car.

"That was a beautiful wedding," Michael said, once we were seated in the back of the car.

"It was. I am so happy for them," I reply, turning to meet his eyes.

"They deserve all the happiness in the world," he murmured. "You look gorgeous, Katie. Absolutely stunning. You rival the bride."

I felt myself blush and turned my face away muttering, "thank you."

I felt a rough hand on my cheek, turning my face back towards him, "why do you always turn away from me?"

"You make me nervous," I heard myself say.

"If only you knew what you did to me," he said, placing his lips on mine in a soul searing kiss.

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

6 0 1
When Jake wakes up, he expects the day to be just like every other day, ordinary. So when Jake heads to school for one of his last days of college, l...
1.7K 40 21
You know the moment when you fall in love with a special someone. You expect high expectations and expect nothing to ever go wrong. We'll that's the...
1.3M 13.9K 18
***EXCERPT ONLY*** He is Captain of the football team. Most popular Guy in school. Can get any girl he wants. Next in line to be Alpha. Logan's not r...
341 48 23
When Lisa Winters gets into a car accident, because of her fucked-up mother; her whole world flips upside down. When Lisa and Chase finally admit the...