Up in the Stars

By sapphox

Enid is moving across the world to attend university. Away from all that she knows, she soon finds herself a... More

Introduction
Beginning
Goodbyes
A New Home
Encounters
A Universe Tilts
And Another
Crescendo
History
Break, Repair
Up and Up Again
Field of Propositions
Sublime
Tempo
Burn
Found
Ensemble
Taken Care Of
Golden
Fire
A New Normal
Breathless
Touch
Enigma
Answers
Missing
Reassurance
Piano Keys
Lies and Truths
Plans
Icy
Disobedience
Between the Shelves
Cold Men
Awaken
Reconstruction
Dwelling
Morning
Creation
Fiction
Scar
Barren Field
Screens
Heat
Fall
Arrival
Just in Case
Sharp
Yield
Checkmate
Off the Beaten Path
Trouble
Hallow
Stolen Moments
Alert
Deceit
Horror
Fading
Devastation
Body and Soul
Paroxysm
Tenacity
Subjugation
Zenith
Sunder
Static
Peachy
Molten
Shutter
Tethered
King, Devil, Angel
Life and Death
Eternity
Epilogue
Thank You / Vignettes
Beneath the Surface

Cacophony

172K 5.7K 1K
By sapphox

Hello dear friends!

Just a heads up- My updates will probably be a little scarce this week as I will be spending time with family.

We'll return to regular programming next week.

⫸     ⫸     ⫸

Her hand was pressed against the frozen windowpane as she stared out at the garden.

The window seat in the library had been her location of choice once they returned to the estate.

Dante hadn't let go of her the entire way home from the campus.

Theodore and Alexander had arrived shortly after them, their faces tight with worry.

Not trusting her voice, she had simply handed them the flash drive.

And then she retreated to this spot, content to watch the trees in the distance dance in the chilly wind.

And not think.

Not think a single thought at all.

Well, she tried at least.

Tried to not think of videos or missing boys or grasping hands.

Of Dante's eyes, so worried.

So full of concern she nearly choked on it.

Her hazy eyes followed the path of a small bluebird, hopping along the branches with practiced ease.

Dropping her eyes back down to the book she was holding, she sighed softly.

She hadn't read a single word yet.

Neatly, she placed it back on its respective shelf and left the large room.

Padding down the hall, she entered Alexander's music room.

The gloomy sky did not provide much light through the high windows, so the room was dressed in shadows.

Still, she did not turn on the lights.

Her sock-clad feet silently stepped onto the raised platform where the Steinway piano sat.

Enid ran her fingers lightly across the cover before she opened it.

Spine straight and fingers yearning, she called back to the evenings Alexander had spent with her at the piano last week.

He was an excellent teacher and she was an eager student.

Thus, she learned quite quickly.

The memory of his fingers beside hers, his side warm and steady against her own.

She tilted her head up to look at the looming clouds.

Her fingers pressed down, hard and fast.

A cacophony of notes echoed throughout the room.

The sound angry and mournful and disruptive.

Good, she thought.

She did it again.

And again, and again.

Until finally her mind was quiet and all that was left was noise.

"I don't remember teaching you that." Alexander's voice came from the doorway behind her.

Her shaking hands came up to wipe at wet cheeks.

Turning toward him, she was startled by the darkness of his honey eyes.

Void of the light and joy that usually radiated out.

His face was apoplectic.

"I'm sorry." Her apology was soft and shaky.

He was before her in a few long strides.

His large hand rose to wipe away the missed tears.

She was transported back to the first time she played for him.

When she had opened her eyes and found him standing before her, his arm stretched toward her in the same way.

The soft smile he gave her showed he was thinking of the same.

"Don't ever say sorry for hurting, angel. Let it out. Scream, shout, cry. Destroy the piano if you want, we can buy another." He brushed her hair behind her ear.

Leaning forward, she rested her head against the muscular planes of his stomach.

"Did you watch it?" Her voice was slightly muffled by his sweater.

He looked so devastatingly handsome as always.

A white button-down shirt under a caramel cable knit sweater.

The fringe of his golden curls falling into his eyes.

He looked both so young and old all at once.

Like he had lived a thousand years, yet never aged at all.

He nodded his head, his fingers dancing down her spine like he was playing music.

"I've never felt angrier in my life than when I had to watch him..." He trailed off; a dark expression twisted his angelic features.

Her heart clenched.

She hated causing them anger or stress.

But Enid knew better than to keep the video from them.

"I'm so sorry you had to watch it, angel. I hate that you went through it, but having to relive it again is so cruel." Alexander's practiced fingers worked at the knots in her shoulders.

The sound of expensive shoes alerted her to the arrival of the missing members of the trio.

Alexander stepped to the side, his hands continuing their ministrations.

"Those brainless runts are going to pay for what they did, darling." Theodore got to her first, the same burning rage in his eyes that she had seen in Alexander's.

The syllables dripped with vitriol.

His strong arms pulled her from the bench into his embrace.

His crisp cologne filled her nose and she relaxed against him.

The steady thumping of his heart filled her ear pressed to his chest.

Dante stepped forward into her eyesight.

Like the others, his expression was alight with fury.

Wrath and devastation.

She reached out her hand to him and he laced his fingers with hers.

Theodore held most of her weight as the other man pressed kisses along the small pads of her fingers.

Alexander's hands resuming their path across the tightness of her shoulders and neck.

Her eyes fluttered shut, feeling safe again for the first time in hours.

They were picking up her pieces and sowing her back together.

Again.

As easily as if they had been born to do so.

"You're safe, tesoro mio. We've got you. We won't let anyone hurt you ever again." His Italian accent brought a small smile to her face.

She believed him.

⫸     ⫸     ⫸

Tesoro mio - my darling/ treasure

Next few chapters will be less sad hopefully.

I feel it's important to give Enid the time she needs to hurt and mend, though.

Comments fill my heart with joy.

All my love, Sappho ⫸

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

869 5 7
❛Shhh... take it like a good student❜ Now entering third year of college, jeiel felt a sense of stagnancy engulf her life. The constant cycle of stu...
123K 3.9K 18
24 year old Claudia Longo is a kindergarten teacher. Although she deals with social anxiety, she's found out teaching kids helps her cope with it. It...
82.8K 4.4K 44
π™π™€π˜Όπ˜Ύπ™ƒπ™€π™ 𝙭 π™Žπ™π™π˜Ώπ™€π™‰π™ π™π™Šπ™ˆπ˜Όπ™‰π˜Ύπ™€ I have seen/read many stories where a student is crazy in love with her professor.. but what happens...