The Boy Who Cried Beast | ✓

By 1fandombookgirl

As Alpha of the Blood Moon Pack, Everette Blackwood is required to find her mate. She's not too sold on the i... More

Copyright & Description
Character Aesthetic
Chapter 1: Silver Berry
Chapter 2: Dudes In Dresses
Chapter 3: The Ritual
Chapter 4: Sweet Jesus
Chapter 5: Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice
Chapter 6: Put A Ring On It
Chapter 7: Centuries ago...
Chapter 8: Mom's Weird
Chapter 9: Cherry On This Hunk Of A Sundae
Chapter 10: I, Callum Cain, Reject...
Chapter 11: My Idiot
Chapter 12: Frilly Pink Apron
Chapter 13: A Case of OSD
Chapter 14: If I Was A Man
Chapter 15: Men Crying
Chapter 16: Rip My Heart Out
Chapter 17: He Punched The Wall
Chapter 18: Cliche 'Bad Boy'
Chapter 19: Green-Eyed Monster
Chapter 20: Hypersthene
Chapter 21: Broken Bones
Chapter 22: No Cuddling
Chapter 23: Jesus, Take The Wheel
Chapter 25: Written In Permanent Sharpie
Chapter 26: Those 'Evil Shits'
Chapter 27: Lover Boy
Chapter 28: War Is Brewing
Chapter 29: Houston, We Have A Problem
Chapter 30: What Did I Miss?
Chapter 31: Fido and His Brothers
Chapter 32: Ice-cream On A Hot Summer Day
Chapter 33: Don't Flatter Yourself
Chapter 34: Holy Mother of The Moon
Chapter 35: Wicked & Wise
Chapter 36: Pinky Promise
Chapter 37: Sherlock Holmes
Chapter 38: Death Was Reserved
Chapter 39: Katniss Everdeen
Chapter 40: Petrichor
Chapter 41: True Alpha
Chapter 42: Doodle Me In
Chapter 43: Máni
Epilogue
Alpha Aiden's Protection Program
BONUS CHAPTER: I'm Your Dork

Chapter 24: The 'L' Word

18.6K 759 395
By 1fandombookgirl

Chapter 24

The last three days were way too stressful. I spend as much time as possible questioning everyone but of course, no one knew a thing about the rogues. I couldn't exactly abuse my alpha command power either because that would just make everyone lose their trust in me. 

And I had to show them that I trusted them. I do trust them, but if it was someone in the pack, well that person wouldn't live to see another day. 

What I couldn't do was reveal my plans to the pack of where my adventure is headed. 

Only a select few knew, and by that, I meant my family, my Beta, Gamma, and their respective mates. And Finn since he was tagging along... we have yet to see how that goes with being in Cal's territory 

To the pack, I was heading back north to the place we found Cal and June to find some clues. They didn't like the idea but thought it made sense. 

Little did they know, I was heading west and hopefully be returning with hunters. Okay so bringing the hunters may land me in hot water but what's fun in doing things the easy way right?

Take my conversation with my dad, for example, that was by no means easy. 

~ The day before ~

"What?" I glared at my laughing father who sat across from me at the dining table in my parents' house. "Dad, why are you laughing?"

He managed to calm himself down for a minute when my mom elbowed him, "Sorry kiddo, I just thought you said you were going to meet the humans. Cracked me up."

I could tell he was going to laugh again but from my serious expression, he took on a solemn front, "You're joking."

"I don't think she is honey." My mom clarified as she stared at me with wide eyes. 

The sound of my father's chair scrapping back sounded like nails on a chalkboard as he stood up from his chair.

Ugh, here we go again with his drama...

"That's it, she's completely lost her mind." My dad said throwing his hands up in the air as Callum snickered beside me.

I elbowed him in his side, harshly, seeing as he's all healed up and in almost perfect condition. 

"What? He's right." His eyes held humor and when I gave him my death glare, he sobered up. 

Good boyfriend.

I turned back to my dad, "You can say whatever you want, father, but it's not going to stop me. I only told you as a courtesy seeing as you were the Alpha and you're my dad. But don't think for a second you can change my mind." 

My mom cleared her throat and placed her hand on my dad's arm as she pulled him back to his seat.

"I think it's the best idea we've got." Her hand squeezed my dad's arm when he stared at her in shock. "I'm not saying it's a good idea, because it isn't."

The meaningful look she gave me didn't go above my head. It's a dangerous mission, with the possibility of getting extremely hurt. That I knew for sure.

"She could-"

"Get hurt." My mom cut my dad off. "She knows, but it's something that should have been done years ago if not while we were in charge. Thane, we probably didn't have the same opportunity as Ev and Callum does but he's a part of them and this hatred between our kinds has gone on far too long. I would like to see an end to it before it destroys us farther than it already has." 

Sighing he closed his eyes and I sent my mom a thankful smile. 

"It's hard to let go." My dad whispered. "After what happened and after nearly losing you and your mother, it's hard for me to be okay with letting you there without at least a hundred wolves to protect you."

"But I can protect myself, dad, you know this. You've seen me fight and kill." I admonished. 

"And I'll be with her, so you can rest assured that I won't let anyone hard her. Not over my dead body." Cal winked my way but I could see the seriousness in his eyes. 

I stuck my tongue out at him, "We both know I'll be the one saving your ass."

"I would disagree, but I'm afraid I'd be wrong." He pulled my hand into his under the table and I still hadn't grown used to his lack of typical warmth. 

The fire hadn't returned and while I enjoyed our make-out sessions not getting interrupted by the smell of smoke, I knew we had to find a way to get it back. 

I could tell Callum's been taking it hard but constantly saying that he's useless without it. He was wrong on that because I gave him back his gun along with a few others we had down in the Crypt. 

All I could say was that he could handle a gun the way I could handle a rogue. With graceful ease. 

"I wouldn't ask to go with you, because I know you're going to say no." My dad said resigned. 

"Right on that." I agreed.

"But you two need to protect each other. Side by side, Everette, not you in front." He gave me a pointed look.

Cal tugged on my hand and from his expression I knew he agreed. 

"Fine," I grumbled. "But if anyone is hurt, you know I'll be front and center." 

Nodding he went on, "I also want you to go see Jane when you get there and she'll contact me to let me know you're safe."

My eyes lit up with excitement because I haven't seen my great grandaunt Jane in a few years. Since she was almost eighty, it became nearly impossible for her to make the long journey in her wolf form. Not to mention the danger of the rogues. 

We've skyped her a few times and she's gotten herself a stay-at-home nurse, but getting to hug her and hear all her absurd jokes was something I missed dearly. 

"Jane Fraser?" Callum asked curiously. 

"Yes, have you ever met her?" I asked him.

"A few times, the woman hated our guts. Especially my own but now I know why. I always thought it was because my grandpa would always beat her at bingo at the community center." 

My eyes twinkled with humor, "That's Jane alright, but I'm sure she'll love you." 

"We will fight side by side... but in her house, you better stand in front of me. I'm afraid she'll beat me with her cane." Cal's eyes widened in horror. 

"You say that as if she's attempted to before," I noted. 

"Ohh, she has." 

I couldn't help the snort that escaped me before my dad's serious tone pulled my attention back to him.

"Fun and games aside, you both need to be smart about this. As the leaders, you need to ensure this is the right call to make and that you take the best people with you. People you trust because stepping into their territory is breaking the treaty and as much as I can sit here and say everything will be okay, it wouldn't because they'll have the right to kill any wolf they set their eyes on." He pinned us both with a stare. 

"Maybe I should go with them." My mom piped in.

The three of us immediately let out a chorus of,

"Not happening sweetheart."

"Don't think about it, mom."

"Not a good idea Mrs. B." 

She pouted at us, "Why not? I'm sure some of them will remember me and maybe my past friendships can help our case. Not to mention I can heal anyone up in case things go south." 

"Reasons why you should stay here where I can protect you." My dad said. "Trust me, twenty years of you joining team werewolf must not have brewed over well with them, especially since most of your human friends were on the battlefield." 

"Mr. Blackwood's right, they haven't forgotten you but not in the way you'd like. They think it was you that drove my father to lead them all here and after what happened, you stayed here with the werewolves." Cal added and I could see the sadness swallow my mother.

"It's likely going to be that way for you as well son. They're not going to like that you're showing up with wolves in human territory, so whatever plan you two have, I hope it's solid and would ensure you get back here and with their help. Because the Moon Goddess knows we need them now." My dad said as he pulled my mom into his arms. 

"Well now that we've discussed it, we leave tomorrow," I announced with a grin as my father started off again about my ungodly timing. 

Dads.... am I right? 

~ Present ~

I stared at the pink princess cut diamond ring in awe. 

One because it was beautiful and over the top and two because I wondered how someone was not going to cut themself by wearing that thing. 

"Isn't it beautiful?" Charlotte squealed as she jumped up and down before Pen and me. 

"Thank the Moon Goddess June like minimalistic things because something like this might cost me an arm and a leg." Penelope sighed. 

"You were planning on getting me a ring?" June asked in confusion as she and Olly exited the back door of the packhouse. 

"Pretend you never heard that?" Pen asked hopefully. 

And like the amazing woman that June is, she giggled and gave her woman a kiss. 

My eyes couldn't help but flash down to Callum who was now at Olly's level and engaging him in conversation, even though the kid barely says anything other than yes and no. 

But while Cal was speaking with him, his eyes caught my own with a knowing smirk and he winked my way before giving Olly his full attention. 

Heart? Melted. 

Also, does he think that I want a ring? Because I don't, not anytime soon. 

Or maybe I do? 

While we waited for everyone who was joining in on our little secret mission, I listened to Charlotte who animatedly explained how Max just popped the questioned. 

It was elaborate and elegant and everything that was Charlotte and him and I couldn't be happier for my Gamma and her mate. 

"As soon as you get back, we're planning the wedding and you're my maid of honor, so you better start preparing your speech." She pointed at with. 

"You created bridezilla and it's only been an hour since you proposed," I said to Max who laughed as Char whacked me on the arm. 

"Hey, no way to treat your Alpha." I pouted as I rubbed my arm. 

"That slap was for my maid of honor, not the Alpha." 

"Fine, I'll start thinking of all the embarrassing things I need to mention in front of the pack." I grinned before dodging her slappy hands and walking over to Callum as Olly went to June and Pen. 

I'm pretty sure the kid adopted them and they adopted him because June and Pen have been doting on him as their own and it was hard to miss the way he clung to them both. 

It was still an adjustment for all of them and I had yet to officially be introduced into the pack but I knew they were building a family. It was written all over their faces and I knew June and Pen have been hopping for a kid to come along that needed parents. 

"He's a really smart kid," Cal noted as he wrapped an arm around my waist. 

"Besides June and Penelope, you're the only one he speaks to so I wouldn't know."

"Jealous Princess?" I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"No... maybe." I pouted. 

"Well lucky us, we'll be forced to have one of our own soon enough." He whispered lowly and I felt the blood freeze in my veins. 

It wasn't because his voice held resentment or disdain, in fact, he seemed to have accepted it as something we had to do. 

But was it something I've to terms with? Sure as shit not. 

"You alright there Princess? Thinking about packing ice-cream again because I already told you it would melt in no time." He joked but I saw the concern on his face.

"It's nothing, just thinking of our long trip." I kissed his jaw just before my parents and Finn showed up.

Cal was about to ask me more, but I pulled away from his arm and headed towards the group of five other wolves I trusted with my life, entered the backyard. 

Five pack members, Finn, Callum and I were going to Fairbairn. Not nearly as much as anyone who knew where I was headed wanted, but showing up with an entourage would not be in our favor.

Quite frankly I don't want Finn or Cal to go but Cal is the only way we might have a chance and Finn insisted on going because he "wasn't going to let his best friend die at the hands of hunters."

His words, not mine.

I didn't know if it was a good idea seeing his reaction to Callum being a hunter, but I trusted him and needed my friend to back me up when we go face to face with the hunters. 

"Does everyone have their gear packed? Clothes for when we get there and food for the journey?" I asked my entourage. 

"Yes, Alpha." They answered. 

"And no one spoke a word of this to another in the pack?" I eyed them carefully and as they answered no, I knew they were telling the truth. 

"Great, we leave in five minutes." 

"Callum? You'll come back right?" I heard a little voice behind me quietly ask and I turned to see Olly back at Cal's side. 

"You bet kid, I still need to take you to that ice-cream shop I've been telling you about." Cal ruffled the boy's hair as he grinned. 

"He's really good with him," Finn whispered lowly as he stood beside me. 

"I don't think there's anyone Cal isn't good with." I smiled as I turned to Finn.

"Except of course me." He grumbled. 

I shrugged, "He'll come around soon enough." 

Chuckling, he seemed unconvinced, "I won't hold my breath on it." 

"Well if this trip is going to play out as smoothly as possible, I'm going to need you two to play nice." I raised my eyebrows.

Finn raised his arms in surrender, "Not me you have to worry about."

"I know, just promise me you won't get mad when we reach Fairbairn and the hunters see us." 

"I don't know Ev-"

"If you can't promise me, then it won't be a good idea if you go Finn." 

His eyes shifted away from me, "I don't think any of this is a good idea. The hunters hate us and we don't even know how useful Callum will be..." His eyes trailed back to me, "but I'll try."

"That's all I'm asking." I reached out and squeezed his shoulder. 

"Everette," My dad called me over, "everyone's ready."

Nodding, Finn walked over to the other five wolves and shifted and my dad helped him strap on a bag to his back. 

My mom seemed extremely worried as she pulled me into her arms, "I know those people you're about to face Everette and they're not going to be happy that you're heading there." 

"Mom..."

"But I know what you're going to do is important and I'm proud of you because of that but be careful." She pulled away and held me at arm's length. 

I gave her a reassuring smile, "I will mom, I promise you." 

"I know honey, but I'm your mom, I worry." She smiled before saying, "While you're there and when you go into town to see Jane, you might see you're family. You're aunt Avery and your grandparents."

I grinned, "I've been thinking about that. Maybe I'll run into them."

"Despite not knowing who you are, I'm sure they'd be proud of you if they know you existed... you even look a lot like Avery." A tear escaped my mother's eye and I knew twenty years didn't ease her pain of losing her family. 

Something that Callum would have had to suffer if I didn't do what I was about to. 

With some parting words to my parents, Beta and Gamma, I finally turned to the patient wolves.

"If you actually think I'm getting on your back your back Princess, you're surely mistaken." Callum gave me a pointed look as I was about to shift. 

"It's either me or Finn," I smirked at him. 

But he only smirked back at me, "I already asked Abel if he'd accommodate me if I hold his backpack." 

My smirk fell as he walked over to one of the other five wolves and took the bag and strapped it across his chest. 

"Oh no, you're my mate, my responsibility. I can't let Abel carry you." I grumbled as I heard my family laughing behind me. 

"But as my mate, I don't want to hurt you and I'm not a tiny child Everette, I can't let you carry my weight around. Not happening, so you better scoot your tush and shift because we're losing sunlight." 

"I don't know if to be angry or be charmed." I folded my arms. 

"Both, now hurry up." He shooed me off. 

"Fine." I rolled my eyes before asking, "Wait, you have both your guns on you right?"

He lifted his t-shirt and revealed both secured to his gun holder that strapped a gun on each side of his waist. 

Without another delay, I shifted and then we were on our way, heading northwest since the border patrol had to think we were going back north.

As soon as we were far enough away from the pack, we switched directions and headed for straight west. 

I kept my attention and focus on our surroundings as we practically flew through the woods. Every now and again I'd look over to Cal and he'd instantly turn to smile at me. 

And each time something deep inside me would stir and I'd have to spend a full minute to get my concentration back. 

I was in deep with him and it felt exhilarating just being near him. 

Around six hours into our journey, which was only a quarter of the way to Fairbairn we came across a rogue. 

But it was a single one who seemed surprised by our appearance. 

She was immensely strong though, which took me by surprise and Finn and I ripped her apart. 

Besides her, we didn't come across any other rogues, thank the Moon Goddess. 

We definitely needed our energy saved up for Fairbairn, which is why we decided to settle down in a hidden cove at the bottom of a mountain when dusk fell. 

It was empty, provided coverage and we would be able to light a fire without it burning a bright glow in the forest. 

We all shifted, changed and laid a few sticks down. 

"Let me try," Cal said from beside me as he rubbed his palms together and focused his aim on the pile of wood. 

I waited with bated breath for at least a smoke to whip through the air, but nothing. 

"Cal..." I grabbed his arm.

"Just let me try again." He closed his eyes this time and I pulled my hand back but the results were the same.

No smoke. No fire.

Letting out a deep breath, he lowered his hands and I didn't think twice in pulling his body into my own.

I wrapped my arms securely around him, "It'll come back, I know it."

"And if it doesn't?" He questioned as his hands held me tight.

"I don't think the Moon Goddess would have given you a gift just to take it away from you when you were most vulnerable. Just have patience and we'll figure it out." I pulled my head back and looked up at him. 

"Yeah well, the Moon Goddess is really starting to piss-"

I slapped my palm on his mouth, "Shh! What if she hears you and decided to take it for good?"

His laugh reverberated through my body and I felt the tip of his tongue poke my palm. 

"Gross." I wrinkled my nose as I pulled my hand away. 

"Hot." He whispered as he moved his head to my neck and grazed his teeth across my skin. 

"Cal, the others." I try to keep my voice low but they're wolves, they're still going to hear me.

"We'll give them a show," I heard the smirk in his voice as he walked us back further into the cave and away from the others. "Especially Finster over there." 

I grabbed his ear and pulled his lips off me, "Bad human, we can't make out in front of our pack."

Pouting he grumbled, "But we're in a cave and it's giving me all kinds of lost-in-a-jungle-vibes... maybe we could sneak off outside?"

"Not happening, it's too dangerous." I gave him a serious look but damn if he put those images in my head. 

"Princess you've been killing me the last three days. All fun and games and then you get all serious." 

His sullen expression was actually cute but wasn't about to get him any, even if he was right.

We've been sleeping in the same bed since and just couldn't keep our hands off each other. But I didn't let it go too far because anyone in the packhouse could hear us and that was all kinds of weird. 

Not to mention the fact that the planning for this journey took the life out of me. 

I wrapped my arms around his neck and gave him a smile, "Maybe if you get the hunters not to kill us and get me ice-cream when we get there, we could sneak off for a bit. Just me and you." 

With a quick kiss to lips, I pulled away as I heard him groan, "You'll make me die of blue balls, I swear." 

Snickering, I returned to our little party and took a seat before the fire as cold air started to pick up and I didn't have my wolf fur to keep me warm against the elements. 

Cal took a seat behind me and pulled my back flush against his chest as we grabbed some of the food we brought with us and easily went into a conversation with the others. 

Abel, Kelly, Minna, Ross, and George were the five wolves that were great fighters, had my every ounce of trust and they also had great stories that had all of us laughing. 

Every now and again I would feel Cal trace patterns on my stomach where his hands rested or plant small kisses against the shell of my ear. 

And each time I would catch Finn with an empty expression as he started at Callum's actions. He didn't say anything or look angry, he just stared. 

I wanted to ask him what was up but I don't think he'd appreciate me asking in front of everyone, especially my mate. 

Tuning back into the conversation, I listened animatedly as Callum described his time at a camp when he was younger and learned how to pull the best pranks. 

It certainly didn't go over my head how well he got along with everyone. He was really a people person.

He was definitely my person. Through thick and thin.

Not long after, everyone decided to turn in for the night since we still had about twelve hours to travel again before we reached Fairbairn.

While Callum knocked out in an instant as we curled up together on the floor of the cave, I couldn't shut my eyes. 

My mind was racing with every single possibility of what could happen tomorrow and even a possible run-in with rogues before that.

All of the possibilities ended badly.

Brushing some hair out of Cal's face, I twisted out of his arms and quietly walked over to the fire and saw Finn sitting there. 

"Didn't know you were still up," I whispered as I sat next to him. 

"Thought it would be best to keep a lookout just in case." He eyed the opening of the cave where darkness engulfed everything in pitch blackness. "Couldn't sleep?"

I shook my head and curled my hands around my knees and pulled it to my chest, "Too worried about tomorrow." 

"Can't say I blame you." He muttered.

I elbowed him, "Not helpful Finn."

Chuckling he shrugged, "It will be fine, I sure your mate won't let anything happen to you." 

"He won't, that's what I'm worried about," I whispered into the darkness.

"You shouldn't because you'll do the same for him. It's what mates do." I detected the trace of sorrow in his voice and the best friend in me couldn't let it slide.

"You'll find her Finn, soon. It's just taking the Moon Goddess some extra time to make sure she's perfect for you." I winked at him.

"Not unless she's you." He said lowly. 

"Finn-"

"I know, I'm sorry I said it." He sighed. "I should concentrate on finding my mate and what I would feel for her but I don't know if it would be the same Ev. I fell in love with you."

My eyes widened as I took in what he said. The 'L' word stared me in the face as if it wanted to chew me up and spit me out.

"I know you don't feel the same way so you can forget I ever said, I just had to let you know before..."

Trying to wrap my head around what he was saying, I asked, "Before what?"

He gave me a sad smile, "Before I find my mate and before you mate with Callum. I don't think it would give me even a sliver of a chance... but who knows."

I closed my eyes for a second and I swallowed the hard pill. 

"I do love you Finn, but I'm not in love with you. You're family and you always will be but what I felt for you was nothing compared to what I feel for Callum. What I felt morphed into brotherly love." He winced at what I said but nodded in understanding. "I'm not saying that to make you feel bad, but whatever you feel for me isn't the real deal. You'll only ever feel that with your mate."

He gave me a tight smile, "I didn't expect you to reciprocate Everette, that was never my intention. Sure I had some hope, but I would never get in the way of you two, trust me on that. I see the way he looks at you. He'd fight through hell and back for you and that's all I'll ever want for you. To be happy with someone that deserves you." 

I wrapped my arms around him and pulled him close, "I am happy and I'm sorry I can't feel the same way."

"Don't be." He gave me a gentle squeeze before pulling away, "He's actually grown on me too. He's a great man and you two are already great leaders."

I smiled but still felt a part of my heart crack because I know Finn and I will never have the same friendship we had. Not the romance part, that was gone and long forgotten since Callum came along. But the true friendship we had was something we'd never get back.

"I'm happy for you, I promise." He said as his eyes scanned my face, "It just hurts sometimes to see you with him but I swear I'm okay." 

"I know you are and will be." I tried to give him a smile, "You're the best friend a girl could ask for Finnick."

He chuckled, "That's what I'm here for." 

"When we get back to the pack, I'll leave no stone unturn until we find her," I promise him.

"I know you won't." He smiled and I could see the tension leave him as if what he's been feeling was weighing him down.

A/N

Chapter Update: Thursday

Oh boy, Finn just said the 'L' word 👀 boy has some bad timing but I think Ev handled it well enough. 

The next chapter we'll be in Fairbairn, who's ready? 👀

And of course, my exams are over, all assignments submitted and classes start back on the 19th January 😊 So you bet I'm finishing this story before that!

My xmas tree is also up 🎄 all the messages from the last chapter really made me feel better and you all are such amazing people! Thank you for that! Really needed a pick me up ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪🍪

Song: Current Joys - A Different Age

Instagram: @1fandombookgirl

I hoped you enjoyed the chapter!

If you did then please consider:

Voting + Commenting

Be kind, keep smiling and

Read on wolfies, 🐺

-Shania. 🐾

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.3M 9.5K 11
Avery Williams - a regular pack member. Trent Denver - the alpha. They don't get along, her being too hard-headed and him believing whatever he says...
33.1K 1K 29
He stared at the bodies on the ground , at the girl covered in blood . "you're late " she said standing up . her eyes narrowed at him and before she...
1M 42.7K 33
-COMPLETED- ~3 Years BEFORE Luna Hana~ The running never bothered her - she had run her entire life. From what? Nothing in particular...at least no...
5.1M 158K 47
Emery Aiken has always lived in a mysterious and eerie village. Growing up with folktales about a fictitious creature being whispered around the cam...