I Refuse to be a Named Charac...

By Avaleon

I woke up inside the world of one of the best selling fantasy book series "Deadly Crown." Intrigue, handsome... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8

Part 5

8.5K 657 376
By Avaleon

"Graham."

What an annoying situation. I frowned at my uninvited guest.

"Why are you here?"

He sat down at the table, seemingly unconcerned by my unwelcoming attitude, returning a happy smile to me.

"I wanted to see you!"

I shuddered. "Well, you've seen me, can you leave now?"

Graham chuckled. "You're already in such a hurry to get rid of me, huh?" His grin was gentle, affectionate, showing only silent laughter to my increasingly hostile expression. "You know, most girls would kill for a chance to spend some time alone with me."

"Good. Go find them, little prince. I'm not in the mood to play with you right now." I waved him off.

"Really?" He leaned his elbow on the table, tapping his chin thoughtfully. "What to do? I just feel so happy being near you!"

Ugh. I didn't remember the hero of deadly crown being quite so... clingy. Shaking my head, I walked towards my kitchen off to the side. I made myself some tea, sitting down across form Graham with a sigh.

As I drank my tea, he watched me with an amused expression. "Aren't you going to offer me anything?"

"I don't remember inviting you in. As far as I'm concerned, you're an uninvited annoyance at best, an intruder with bad intentions at worst. Make you tea?" I snorted derisively. "You're lucky that I don't shoot you with an arrow."

"That's okay, I'll just take it as that means you want be to feel at home rather than be a guest." With a chuckle, he entered the kitchen, coming to sit across from me with his own cup.

I stared at him. "Are you high?"

That caught him off guard. "Pardon?"

"What is wrong with you?" I shook my head. "I was never even your friend, much less anything more. Why on earth would you come bother me here instead of being in the Western City where the third test is about to start?"

Graham leaned back in his chair, sipping his tea quietly, not answering. I felt an increasing frustration as I watched him, feeling the control over my life slipping away once more.

I've worked so hard to avoid the plot! I even let Luke go back alone, just to stay out of this awful story. So can someone please tell me why the main character is sitting in front of me, trying to flirt instead of scheming for the throne with his group?

As I fumed silently, he slowly finished his tea, setting it down on the table with a regretful expression.

"All my life, I have always been a commodity to others, a means to an end to achieve a goal." He stared at the empty cup, not looking at me. "Even my mother... her support is so that she might achieve power and glory. I thought that was all there was to people... those that use and the ones that are used. Since there were only two options... I decided to be the former rather than the latter."

I sighed, fighting off successfully the desire to feel sorry for him. "So is that why you're here? To use me somehow?"

"Use you?" He finally met my gaze and I was surprised to see sadness there, a deep frustration simmering just below the surface. "How could I? You never wanted anything from me." Standing up, he brought both of our cups to the kitchen and poured us some more tea. I watched his movements, thinking over his words.

"So you're here because I don't want anything from you?"

Graham slowly nodded, but then shook his head. "Yes... no... I want you to want something from me. To want everything." He looked back at me, his gaze too intense. It made me uncomfortable.

I frowned, leaving my tea untouched. "You're not making any sense."

"I'm not explaining myself well. I need... I mean... " Looking frustrated, he ran his hand through his hair, staring down at my tea cup. "How's the tea?"

I was surprised by the change in subject. A strange thought occurring to me, I lifted the teacup, tipping it back against my lips. "It's fine."

Watching me closely, something dark passed behind Graham's eyes. A terrifying obsessive glance. But before I could study it closer he relaxed, leaning back in his chair with a smile.

"Good. Well, we have plenty to talk about." Standing up, he headed back to the kitchen. "You relax, I'll make us some dinner."

"I didn't say you could stay for dinner." At my annoyed words, he gave me a sad smile, startling me.

"Would it kill you to pretend you care about my good opinion?"

I shrugged. "You have plenty of people back in the Western City for that. I never wanted it."

"And yet you are the only one to truly have it." Not waiting to see my reaction to his words, he walked back to the kitchen, leaving me behind.

I sat there, confused for a few moments. The story is off track. Staring down at my teacup, I frowned. Why is he really here? We've barely spoken before, and most of that was me criticizing him. Why on earth would that make him want to risk missing the third test to come find me?

I wasn't sure what to do. I didn't want to get in a fight with the main character. Especially as I had been more and more involved with the plot lately.

You can't even call me a nameless background character anymore... at this rate... I'm a nameless side character... or maybe a nameless secondary villain? I shook my head slowly at the thought. Either way, fighting with the hero is a direct ticket to certain death.

A delicious smell wafted over from the kitchen, reminding me of my uninvited guest's presence. But it's not like I want to stay here and play house with Graham either!

A small voice in the back of my mind whispered: If you're going to be involved with the plot either way, wouldn't it be better to just be at Luke's side?

Either way, I was rapidly running out of options. I glanced down at the now cool tea sitting in front of me, the thought that had come to me earlier reinforcing itself, making me feeling sick. Could I be wrong?

There's only one way to find out.

__________________________

"Dinner's ready!" After an hour or so Graham called out from the kitchen with a cheerful voice. I walked back, picking up the bowls that appeared to have some sort of meat stew in it, and quickly brought it to the table. "Can you grab the salt? It's in the lower crate by the door!" I called back over my shoulder, my hands moving quickly after the plates were set down.

The sound of rustling could be heard, followed by Graham appearing with a triumphant grin, holding a small jar. "Found it!"

We both sat down, and began to eat.

"The third test will be starting soon." I watched his expression as I brought up the topic, noting his solemn expression.

"Don't worry, dear." He winked at me, the expression making me uncomfortable. "I'll be ready."

I raised an eyebrow. "Is it really something you can prepare for?"

Taking another bite, Graham leaned back in his chair, thinking. "Well, yes and no. You see, all of the tests are about loyalty in one way or another." He lifted the necklace around his neck. "The first, the token, means that you have your family's support." Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out the Tarif. "The second is about getting the loyalty of your enemies."

"And the third?"

"The third is the loyalty of your kingdom." He grinned, his eyes slightly dilated as he continued to talk. "Nine Lords control territories in the central plains. Each of them bears a key. The keys unlock a special royal treasury, where the next king's crown and seal are kept. "

I thought it over. "That doesn't sound too difficult, if there's nine keys."

"You need five to open it."

"That's a bit tougher."

"Exactly." Graham chucked at my tired expression, looking slightly dazed as he spoke. "The token and the Tarif allow the Princes to participate in a set of three parties, which are used to convince the Lords to give up their key. Of course, it's a test of diplomacy and skill... but also of trust."

I set down my spoon. "What do you mean?"

"You have to have people at your side you can trust who can help you talk to the Lords. There's not enough time to intensely bargain with each one. You need people who won't betray you. I need someone by my side." Graham's face was turning red, he tugged his collar open as if to help himself breathe better. "You know... someone like you."

"A hunter?"

He leaned forward, his unfocused gaze taking a while before fixating on me. "A trustworthy person." He swayed in his seat, looking dizzy as he fumbled with his bowl and spoon. "You don't know how rare you are. How much I want you. And I don't even know your name!" Laughing loudly, he almost fell out of his seat.

The prince was giving me increasingly warm glances, but as I watched him, I felt my heart turn cold. I stared at him, watching him sway in place, losing more and more control of his words and actions.

"Why aren't you smiling?" Graham spoke up loudly, standing up, knocking his chair over. "You always smile at my brother, but you've never smiled once at me!"

I sighed. "Why should I smile at you?"

"Because you belong to me!" His smile turned fierce. "I decided that you have to love me! You'll be my woman."

"Don't be foolish." I shook my head, and his face turned quickly from angry to sorrowful.

"No one has ever cared about me! Don't you know I'm going to be king?! I'll treat you well! I'll let you be queen! Just love me, and not my brother, okay?" He reached out a hand towards me, but I avoided it. "Don't run away! I love you!"

I paused at those words, staring at him icily. "Is that why you tried to drug me?"

"I... what?" He blinked at me, surprised, barely able to stand upright.

"I never drank the tea you made me. In fact, I mixed several spoonful into your stew." I glared. "How much did you put in my tea, for you to be so affected by just a small amount?"

Graham leaned on the table barely able to stand. "Your eyes are too clear. You see right through me. You don't want anything." He reached for me again, but I easily stepped away. "This is all your fault! I came all this way to see you, but you didn't care at all! If you appreciated my efforts I wouldn't have had to use that potion!" His eyes were wild, filled with obsession. "I need to stain you with this dirty world. Make you need me. Only then will you stay with me."

I grabbed his arm, and pushed him down to the chair once more. Looking down at him, I felt a strong disgust rising in the back of my throat.

"You're wrong."

"What?"

"I do want something." Smiling coldly, I leaned down to whisper in his ear. "I want to never see you again."

"Please..." His eyes were wide with shock and grief, the drug in his system stripping him of his normal carefree façade.

"Have a good rest, Your Highness, while whatever drug you tried to feed me wears off."

His hand hung limply in the air, still trying to reach me as I walked towards the door. "Where are you going?" His words were starting to slur.

I paused at the door, putting on my cloak. "I'm going to go find Luke."

As the door shut behind me, I could still hear his agonized voice trying to call me back. I ignored him and left the forest.

__________________________

As I rode away, my mind was racing.

Everything has gone awry. I was supposed to stay away from all this, hiding out in the forest. But now Graham...

The thought of what he had just tried to do made me want to go back to the cabin to beat him black and blue.

In the books, Graham never had a true romantic interest. He flirted, strung all those girls along, but never truly seemed to take any of them to heart. It always struck me as gross, how he used everyone's vulnerabilities without ever truly giving himself back. I shook my head. But the second he runs up against someone who doesn't like him he tries something like this?

What a crappy hero. What a terrible story.

No wonder I liked the villain better. He might have been a bloodthirsty killer in the book, but at least he seemed more straightforward and upfront than any of his brothers.

Luke. At the thought of him, my heart ached, I urged my horse to go faster. I wanted to see him. Even with Graham coming after me, I knew I didn't have to go to the city. I could turn deeper in the forest, where I had prepared a camping spot just to hide out in if the plot came to find me. But when it came time to run, I could only go towards Western City. I didn't want to run further from Luke.

I hope he's okay. With the betrayal of his closest subordinate in the desert, would he have enough people to help him with the third task?

I should be able to help out. Nameless henchman seems like a good role. I laughed to myself. That's unimportant enough to warrant a big character death, right?

But even if I was getting more involved with the plot, I couldn't bring myself to turn around.

I wanted to see him again.

__________________________

As I neared the gates to the Western City, I slowed my horse, nervous. The city was large, the walls towering up to the sky above me. I looked side to side, seeing the walls stretch out in either direction, further than I could follow with my eyes. The gate was massive heavy iron, guarded by large men with spears.

I felt small.

This was a real world, despite being the world from a book I had read. This city must contain tens of thousands of people... maybe more... and all their fates rested on the outcome of the third test. Luke... Graham... Fetter... they were the main characters, the heroes and villains of this world. All around them was death, betrayal and destruction.

Who was I to get involved?

Swallowing my fears, I kept moving forward, trying to blend into the crowd of people entering the main gate. My eyes on the ground, I barely dared to breathe, worried to alert suspicion. As I slowly moved forward, a small sigh of relief escaped me. Will it really be this simple to enter?

Just as I was passing through the gateway, however, I heard a voice call out.

"You there, stop!" I looked up, panicked, to see one of the guards pointing towards me.

Crap.

I considered running, but it would be too difficult to push through the tight crowd. Instead I kept a relaxed expression on my face, smiling at the guard who approached me.

"Is there something wrong?"

He studied me closely. "What brings you here to Western City?"

"I'm a hunter." I pointed to the gear on the horse I had been leading. "I'm going to the market to sell some pelts." That's a good reason to enter a city, right?

The guard started nodding, as if reassured, but then paused. "What's your name?"

Double crap.

Should I lie? But if I give a fake name, won't that be my name in this world? I waved a hand. "I'm just a nobody, never been important enough..."

"IT'S HER! GET HER!" The guard let out a shout, and three men surrounded me.

"Son of a..." My curse faded into silence as a blow struck my neck, and I fell into darkness.

__________________________

My head hurts. I woke up on the floor, unsure of where I was. Looking around, I seemed to be in a small windowless room. There was nothing in the room besides me, no furniture, the only light spilling in from under the door in front of me. Shivering, I felt around, trying to open the door, but it soon became clear it was locked tightly.

"Hello?" I spoke up, wincing as my head throbbed anew at the sound of my own voice. "Is anyone there?" How long have I been here? Will they just leave me here to rot?

"Ah. You're awake." A calm voice broke through my panicked thoughts. The door opened, and a middle aged woman stepped in, flanked by two armed guards. They brought in a chair for her to sit on, and stood behind her as she sat down. She stared at me with a disapproving stare, which irked me.

"I am Lady Lindel." Her words were cold and haughty.

Graham's mother? I looked at her, confused. "Why am I here?"

Her eyes narrowed. "Don't you know?"

Did she find out already that I gave Graham the drug he tried to give me? I shook my head. It couldn't have gotten out so fast. Better bluff. "I don't."

"You've tried to seduce my son." Her accusation struck me senseless, and before I could protest she continued on, ranting. "He will be king, and has been preparing for this fight our entire lives. But just as it comes down to the final test he gets distracted! DISTRACTED!!! By you!" Lady Lindel's face turned red as she started shouting. "How dare a whore like you try to bring my son down?"

Whore? Excuse me?

"But don't worry..." She smiled meanly, interrupting my chance to protest. "I'll make sure you never get near my son again."

"You promise?" I couldn't help it, the words burst out before I could hold them back. "Because if you could keep your creeper son away from me, lady, I would PAY you."

"..."

"..."

"..."

Lady Lindel and the two guards stared at me in shock. I couldn't help it. I started to laugh loudly.

"You... actually think... I like your son?" I had trouble forcing out the words between laughs, almost wheezing to catch my breath. "Who sold you that garbage?"

"Don't lie!" The woman snapped, glaring at me. "Your sister Chloe told me about your despicable schemes to capture my son's eyes."

Chloe.

My laughter faded, replaced by coldness. "I'm not lying. Your son is lucky I didn't castrate him."

"You dare..."

"Oh shut up." I shot her a glare, feeling a sense of satisfaction as her mouth closed, shocked at my tone.

How did it end up like this? I'm just a nameless character, why is the hero's mother getting involved with me too?

Sighing, I tried once to reason with her. "Look, I swear I have no interest in your awful, terrible son. I would be very happy to never see him again." I spread my hands out helplessly. "So could you please let me go?"

"You think you can insult my son like this and walk away?" Her face was furious as she pointed at me.

Weren't you worried about me LIKING your son?

"You can stay here until you starve and your rotting corpse can be dumped over the walls." Lady Lindel started to laugh mockingly, the guards behind her joining in.

"Is that so?" I grinned viciously. "Too bad... I'm not important enough to die!"

Lady Lindel was a named character... and she didn't have a pretty end in the book.

Who would be scared of her?

She stood up, cursing me. "I'll teach you some manners you bit..."

I kicked her in the face.

She flew back, rolling over the chair they had brought in and crashing into the guards behind her. Grinning, I ran out of the room, locking the trio inside.

"Thank you for the hospitality, Lady Lindel!" I called through the door. "Give my regards to your horrible son!"

With that I wandered out into hallway, trying to get my bearings.

I had a villain to find.

__________________________

It turns out that Lady Lindel had been holding me hostage in the palace. By following a few servants conversations, I was able to find my way over to the wing where Luke's living quarters were. I ran into a servant in the opening hallway, who stared at me in shock.

"Milady..."

I shifted awkwardly under his gaze. "Hi there... I'm a friend of Luke's?"

The servant shook his head. "I know, but... aren't you already in the sitting room with His Royal Highness?"

That gave me pause. "You've already let me... or someone who looks just like me... in?"

"Yes! Prince Lucien welcomed you personally!"

I let out a long breath, my heart dropping in my chest.

Chloe.

She had abandoned me, and I let it go. Used me for her hero's gain, and I allowed it. But now... Lying to Graham's mother to set me up... coming here to Luke...

How much more could I take?

My expression wasn't good, I could tell by the servant's face. Giving him a nod, I silently let myself into the sitting room, listening to the conversation within.

"I'm so happy we can be together again!" Chloe's cheerful voice grated on my nerves, causing my fists to clench at my sides. "I want to stay by your side."

I peaked around the corner, looking at the couple. Chloe, dressed in a beautiful court gown, was sitting near Luke, batting her eyelashes. I glanced down at my hunting attire, feeling slightly bedraggled and dirty. It did not help my mood.

Luke smiled gently at her. "Of course you can stay by my side."

Idiot. Jerk. I gritted my teeth. He thinks it me, though, right?

"Can I have the token back? This time I won't give it up!" Chloe leaned closer to him, as if about to rest her head on his shoulder, but he stood up, pouring tea for both of them.

"I'm sorry, I have to present it in court tomorrow night to qualify for the third test, but after that... if you want it, it's yours."

Double idiot. Super jerk. I cursed him in my head, watching them drink tea happily. How come she gets to sit with the prince who doesn't drug the tea? I hate this story!

"Oh... okay." Chloe looked down shyly. "It's enough if I'm the only woman in your heart."

Should I just step out and call them out? I felt a moment of panic. But what if he knows it's Chloe... and he cares about her...

As I hesitated, he reached out a hand, placing it on her shoulder. The contact made my stomach drop, wanting to cry, but also wanting to break something.

Maybe I can go back to Lady Lindel's room and kick her in the face again? I really want to kick something.

Before that plan could go forward, Luke threw back his head, laughing. His hand came off her shoulder, covering his eyes as the sound echoed around the room, startling me.

It sounded sad.

"Your Highness..." Chloe started to speak, looking uncertain, but he only laughed louder.

"I'm so pathetic." When he finally spoke, the pain in his voice made me shudder. Looking closer, I could see a tear tracing through his fingers, dripping down his face.

He was crying?

"What...?" Chloe was panicking, but he didn't let her speak.

"I knew you weren't her right away. The face is the same, but the expressions aren't... the eyes are different. The way you talk... the way you look at me... she's never looked at me with greed in her eyes."

"You..."

"But I still didn't say anything... because deep down in my heart... I was desperate to believe that she might have changed her mind." He swallowed, his whole being exuding an atmosphere of misery. "That she had chosen to be by my side. I wished for it so much that I thought that maybe I was wrong. How pathetic is that?"

His hand slowly lowered, showing his eyes which were ice cold. "But even my addled, hopeless heart can't ignore hard evidence in front of me. " He pointed at her shoulder, the one he had touched earlier. "Your sister has a scar there. A deep one."

"She... I..." Chloe was stuttering, her face pale. "Your Highness..."

"Get out." He whispered it, but it seemed to echo around the room.

Chloe dropped to her knees. "Please, just think about it! I look just like her, AND I can help you with your test! I'm smart, I have knowledge of the future! I'm useful to you. A lot more useful than some coward who only knows how to hide in the woods!"

"A coward? Do you know how she got that scar on her shoulder?" Luke laughed again, but there was a sense of violence in it this time. "She got it protecting a helpless boy from getting whipped. A selfless act to protect someone who couldn't offer her anything but more suffering." He smiled, but it was a terrifying expression. "You would never understand."

"I... "

"Get. Out." He stood up. "The only reason I've spared your miserable life is because you're her sister. Don't make me change my mind."

She ran out, crying, not noticing me standing in the shadows.

"Idiot." I was startled. At first I thought Luke was talking to me, but a quick glance showed he hadn't noticed my presence yet. He was sitting down, drinking tea, the glass shaking in his trembling hand. "Why would she be here?"

I couldn't hide anymore.

"Why can't I be here?" I spoke up, my heart beating faster as his head whipped up, and he stared at me, entranced.

"... it's you?" He sounded disbelieving.

"Why? You think I have another twin sister who would try to pretend to be me?" I grinned. "All of you in the royal family are crazy."

Luke laughed breathlessly. "I won't argue with that." Standing up, he sprinted over to me, lifting a hand to gently trace my face. "Is it really you?"

"Yep." I grabbed his hand and put it on my shoulder. "Scar and all."

He sighed with relief, and pulled me into a tight hug. "I missed you." Pulling back, he looked at me closer. "Are you alright? Why did you come here?"

"Well, a lot happened... but I'm here to help you with the third test."

"Really?"

"Yeah." I hugged him. "Let's take on this awful plot together."

It wasn't safe, to be this close to the story. I had a strong chance of becoming a main character, rather than the nameless henchman I hoped to be. But as I looked at Luke's relieved expression as he looked me over, I couldn't feel any regret.

I couldn't leave him alone.

__________________________

"Stupid Lucien!" Chloe hissed as she stomped out the prince's living quarters. "He should be grateful I even considered helping him! How dare he reject me for that idiot girl!"

She wanted to scream, to throw things. Everything is wrong! It should have been perfect. She successfully arrived in the world of her favorite story. Using her knowledge of the plot, she stayed by the hero's side. She should have been the heroine, the love interest he lacked in the books. It should have been an amazing adventure, where Graham fell desperately in love with her, and they won the throne together.

But something went wrong.

Instead, Graham had become obsessed with her foolish sister. She hadn't even liked the books! I had to force her to read it, despite how great they are! That girl was a coward, not even able to read the scenes of violence in the book due to them being to graphic. How could she survive in this world? What did she have to offer someone like Graham?

But he had gone after her anyways.

So Chloe had gone for her back up plan, the handsome but cruel and vicious villain Lucien. Pretending to be her sister, she thought she had successfully fooled him. All he had to do was realize how awesome and useful I am, and once he got the throne I would tell him the truth, and but then it wouldn't matter.

But all Lucien wanted was her.

"Why is it always her?!"

Lucien had seemed different anyways. He didn't even seem like a proper villain at all! The story was changing, and it was for the worse!

"It's all her fault." Chloe muttered, not watching where she was going. "If she were gone..."

Chloe stopped. What would happen if she died in the book? Wouldn't she just go back to normal life? Or would she really be dead?

"But if she's gone... the story goes back to normal." I become the heroine again. Graham and Lucien would only care about me!

"I have to kill her." She clenched her fists, the nails digging into her palms.

"Kill who?" A smooth voice interrupted her crazed mutterings, scaring her. She looked up to see a handsome young man with dark hair and ice blue eyes. He stared at her coldly, his smile mismatched with his gaze, and she found herself shuddering with fear.

The man's smile widened. "Don't worry. I think you and I might be able to help each other." He stretched out a hand. "Nice to meet you, I'm Fetter."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

168K 5.2K 41
"If I'm going to die anyway, there's no point in trying to live." A typical reincarnated into a villainess story, except the protagonist isn't your t...
8K 1K 186
PART I | "Are you really a queen if your world is in ruins?" | In the wake of a devastating attack that reduces her palace to ruins, Sera's only re...
40 1 28
Davina's life is great! She's making lots of money from her dream job and has a cat. What more could she want? A lot, actually. Feeling trapped in a...
365 6 21
It was Edith's third life. First she was a poor hardworking girl lost under the pressure of work in the modern world of airplanes and computers but t...