SHIFTER โ”€ marvel

By solobarnes

"Then what is it you want from me?" "What I want, is you." โ”€ BOOK 3 of the FALLEN WARRIORS SERIES โ”€ A MARVEL... More

SUMMARY
PART I: OLD LIES
I. Greece
II. Everyone Needs Help
III. Watching Eyes
IV. The Pink Blouse
V. A Sore Loser
VI. Animal Attack
VII. A Lost Childhood
VIII. Shapeshifter
IX. Cappuccinos And Case Files
X. The Dance Studio
XI. A Message For You
XII. A Twin
XIII. The Laboratory Part 2
XIV. Moving Forward
XV. It Wasn't A Mistake
XVI. PROJECT SAVAGE
XVII. Parenthood
XVIII. All The Answers
XIX. Stay With Me
XX. Siberia
PART II: NEW TRUTHS
XXI. A Cure
XXII. True Strength
XXIII. The Phone Call
XXIV. A Brother's Love
XXV. The Kimoyo Beads
XXVI. Hallucinations
XXVII. Anger And Pain
XXVIII. Healing
XXIX. New Plan?
XXX. A New House
XXXI. Haunting Nightmares
XXXII. Sending A Message
XXXIII. What Makes You A Hero
XXXIV. Finally At Peace
XXXV. A Heart Full Of Hate
XXXVI. Two Pawns In The Game
XXXVIII. A Chance To Be Normal
XXXIX. The Wedding
XL. The Dance Floor
XLI. Steel Blue Eyes
NEXT SEQUEL COMING
NEXT SEQUEL: SOLDIER
ONE SHOT BOOK: HEROES
NEXT SEQUEL: FALLEN
NEXT SEQUEL: LEGACY
LAST SEQUEL: EVERMORE
TALES FROM FALLEN WARRIORS

XXXVII. Gratitude

702 39 16
By solobarnes

Chapter Thirty-Seven
Soroya

Slowly, the light from the machine begins to dim, and the blue glow of the radiation leaves Analiese's skin. Shuri gives me a nod, beginning to help me undo the restraints holding her to the table. Analiese stays silent during this time, only letting out a small sigh of relief once we take the IV out of her arm.

Everyone else stands towards the glass wall, with the exception of Bruce and Alex, who stand only a few feet from us. Shuri and I grab onto Analiese's arms, helping her sit up. She lets out a muffled groan as she moves for the first time in four days. I won't lie and say I don't slightly enjoy her discomfort after she had me strapped to a table for a week.

"Can you walk?" I ask her.

Her eyes meet mine, and for maybe the first time since I've met her, they aren't filled with hostility. She simply shakes her head. I wrap an arm around her waist, helping her off the table. Analiese rests one arm on my shoulder and the other on Shuri's. We help her over to one of the stools in the lab, letting her have a moment to catch her breath.

Analiese rests her hands on her knees, stretching out her arms and back, groaning slightly as she moves her muscles around.

"Lets see if this worked." Bucky says, his arms crossed as he watches Analiese like a hawk from Shuri's work counter.

I look down at her, asking softly; "What can you smell? Can you smell everyone's scent?"

She shakes her head, muttering; "No."

"What about hearing? Do you hear anyone's heartbeat? Can you hear the other scientists in the next floor? Can you hear the machines working outside?"

She shakes her head again. "No."

T'Challa's eyebrows crease, looking between Alex and me with curiosity. "Can you really hear that well? You can hear all our heartbeats?"

"Yes." Alex and I say simultaneously.

"It can be very annoying." Alex mutters to himself.

"Try to shift." Bruce tells her.

All of our eyes go to Analiese, but she simply stares down at the floor, her eyes filled with frustration. I stare at her for a long moment, watching as she brings her head up. She looks angry...but not at us. She stays very silent, her jaw flexing slightly. I glance over at my brother, finally realizing what the issue is.

"She doesn't know how," I tell them. "All of her shifts were involuntary. Even when she planned those attacks she made sure something would set off the beast so she would shift...but she couldn't command it herself."

"Well what's something that can set off your animal side?" Okoye inquires.

"The smell of blood, anger, any kind of pain..." I say.

"A threat on your life." Alex chimes in.

"Another predator." I add.

Okoye nods. "Alright, how about one of you shift and charge at her."

Analiese shifts in her seat uncomfortably, looking between my brother and I with apprehension. I share an unspoken conversation with Alex, and he nods his head, activating his suit. There's no way Analiese would believe I would hurt her, but with Alex it's a different story.

Analiese's eyes are on Alex the entire time he makes his way towards the others. I realize now that throughout her whole plan to take me captive and kill me, she never knew that Alex had shapeshifting powers as well. She's looking at Alex through narrowed eyes, with hints of curiosity etched in her features.

The entire room backs away from us, giving Alex some room. With his suit now activated, he bends down on his knees, hunching over and shifting into a grizzly bear. I would have chosen the same animal. Grizzly bears are intimidating predators, given their size and sharp claws. Alex makes a show of it; clawing at the ground and growling loudly in Analiese's direction.

Analiese looks very uncomfortable, but not afraid yet. Alex looks at me, waiting for me to give him the okay. I nod my head once, watching as he growls loudly in attack, charging at full speed towards Analiese. I can smell the adrenaline go through Analiese, which only increases as Alex unexpectedly pushes Analiese out of her chair. She lets out a yell, shutting her eyes and letting out small whimpers as Alex places one of his paws on her chest, growling directly in her face.

Analiese hasn't shifted. She was completely untrained, and I remember that anything hostile would set off my powers back when I was in the same position. If she still had her powers she would have shifted by now.

I nod to Shuri, watching as she makes her way over to her work counter to get a needle. Now it was time for the real test. I look over at my brother, who is now on his back feet, clawing at the air. He's just showing off now.

I look over to Khari, who is raising his eyebrow inquisitively at his fiancé, knowing all too well he's making a show of his powers right now. Scott is the only one who seems impressed; having an entertained look on his face like he's watching a television program

I roll my eyes. "Alex, that's enough."

He turns his head towards me, the gigantic frame of the bear in front of me slowly shifting back into the form of a man. Once he's a human again, Alex leans down, grabbing Analiese's arm and bringing her onto her feet. The grin Alex gives her is as arrogant as ever. "In HYDRA they called me the 'untamed', but I think that's a much more fitting name for you."

Analiese lets out a shaky breath, stepping back from Alex. "Becker gave you the serum too." She says matter of factly.

Alex nods, looking over towards me. "It looks like HYDRA scientists have a keen interest in the Roberts siblings. I wonder why we're so popular. Must be our impeccable genes."

I roll my eyes at my brother, guiding Analiese back to the chair. Shuri sticks the needle in her left arm, extracting a sample of her blood to test her genetic code. When she gets enough she puts a sample of the blood in a microscope slide, handing it to Bruce. He looks down into the neck of the microscope, leaving the rest of us waiting in suspense for several moments.

Bruce lifts his head back up, allowing Shuri to look into the microscope and double check the result. The two give each other a firm nod, before Shuri looks to Analiese. "Congratulations. You're normal."

A smile breaks over Analiese's face, a genuine smile with no toxicity or sarcasm etched in her dimples. Her smile reminds me of her brother, and it makes my heart ache.

Her voice is rather strained as she asks; "I'm-I'm cured?"

Shuri nods. "Your cells and genes are like any other human. The animal DNA is gone."

Her happiness fades for a single moment. She looks from Shuri to me, her expression a mixture of reluctance and awkwardness. She pushes past these feelings however, saying to me sincerely yet curtly. "Thank you. Truly, thank you."

I nod to her, feeling shocked that she said this with as much sincerity as she did. I look over to T'Challa, giving him a knowing look. "I'll call Everett. Would you like to be included in this call?"

He nods, glancing at Okoye. "I want to make sure he doesn't bring too many agents. We don't want the CIA poking around..." He says, eyeing Bucky.

I look over at Bucky, taking my phone out of my pocket. "Buck, Khari is going to take you to his parent's house. Please stay there until I tell you to come back."

He nods firmly, looking over to Khari, who walks over towards him and places a gentle hand on his shoulder. Khari gives him a reassuring look. "My parents have been looking forward to meeting you. They'll take good care of you."

I smile at my best friend. "Tell them thank you for me. I'll be there as soon as Everett leaves."

I hear a huff come from next to me, and I look down to see Analiese shaking her head. She gives me an ironic look. "This CIA agent you seem to be close with that's coming to take me away...he doesn't know about your boyfriend does he? Makes sense. If he knew he would have to do his job and lock away one of the world's most wanted assassins..."

The whole room grows very quiet, especially me. I didn't even think about that. She knows Bucky is here, she knows this is where we've been hiding him. If she told Everett, or anyone for that matter, it could be the end of him.

Swallowing my fear, I try to stay composed as I kneel down onto the ground, making sure she can see my face fully as I say this to her; "You're not going to say anything to the CIA or anyone about him. You will keep his location secret."

She tilts her head. "And why would I do that?"

"Because you owe me," I tell her, looking at my family and friends around me. "There is not one person here who wanted to keep you alive. The CIA wouldn't have objected to me delivering a corpse to them. You're alive because of me. You're also cured of your powers because of me, and you have a room all to yourself in prison instead of an electrified containment unit. That's all because of me. You're going to keep this secret because you will owe me for the rest of your life."

Analiese stares at me for a long moment, her expression unreadable. Her chests rises and falls as she sighs, nodding her head slowly. "I won't say anything."

"Swear it."

"I swear on Julian's grave I won't talk about your boyfriend." She says with slight exasperation. But I know she's sincere, not just from her tone and expression, but because she swore on Julian.

"And remember," I say dropping my voice. "The things I've given you can be taken away."

I don't usually like to give threats, but this is necessary. This is Bucky's freedom, his life we're talking about. Understanding flows over Analiese's face and she nods again, bowing her head.

I open up my phone and go into contacts, going to Everett's number. T'Challa comes over to me, pressing on the speaker button just as Everett picks up.

"Soroya, it's good to hear from you. Have you got Remington?"

"Yes, we got her," I say into the phone. "She's been here for the last few days."

"The serum Shuri created worked," T'Challa chimes in. "She is powerless now."

"I'll be in Wakanda in a couple hours."

"How many agents will you bring with you?" T'Challa asks.

"Just enough for get the job done. I'll see you both soon." He says, before hanging up. Both of us will have to accept the unknown number of government agents about to appear at our doorstep.

I look over to Khari and Bucky. "You two should go now."

Bucky walks over to me, cupping my cheek gently. He brings his lips down to my forehead, before kissing me briefly on the lips. I know he isn't comfortable leaving me alone with CIA agents, but I know he trusts me, and he trusts the role that I've played the past few years. He knows deep down that I'm not in any danger.

I can only hope one day the CIA won't be a threat to him, that he won't constantly be in danger. I can only hope that day will be soon.

-

Everett came to Wakanda with two helicopters. He landed both of these helicopters in the field in front of the lab; they are charcoal black with the name Rachel painted in white letters on one, and Monica painted on the other. Everett, along with two other CIA agents, make their way across the field towards where we stand in front of the entrance to the lab.

T'Challa, Nakia, Okoye, Alex, Khari, and myself are what consist of the welcome party. Rhodey, Scott, and Bruce decided to stay in the lab. Scott was all too eager to look around at the different gadgets Shuri has hidden down there. Rhodey promised me he'd try to reign Scott in while we were gone.

Analiese is stationed between T'Challa and me; her hands cuffed behind her back and her expression filled with annoyance. I don't blame her. I wouldn't be too keen on going to prison either.

Everett smiles at each of us once he reaches us, particularly at Shuri. "You look exhausted. I hope making the serum wasn't too much trouble for you."

She waves it off. "Please, it was easy. Besides, who needs sleep?"

Everett chuckles, shaking his head. "It's good to see you. All of you.

T'Challa smiles at our friend. "Eventually we should see each other under less dire circumstances."

Everett nods. "I'll hold you to that," He says, directing his attention to Analiese. "You should be kissing at Soroya's feet right now. If it were up to me you wouldn't see the light of day again, but the high security containment room we have ready for you is good enough."

Analiese looks over at me, something stirring in her gaze. She quickly glances down at the ground though, not wanting me to see what was going through her mind. I didn't have to though. Deep down I know she's grateful. Deep down.

Everett nods to the other agents, who walk forward and grab hold of Analiese. The two agents grab her by the arms, while another one a few feet in front of us brings her radio out of her pants, alerting the agents in the helicopter that they have Analiese in custody.

I watch her for a moment as she's taken away, hoping that her new life in prison will allow her to let go some of that hate, and maybe find that peace she has fought so hard for. I can only hope she will.

I refocus my attention back on Everett, but his attention is on the ring on Alex's finger. Alex notices him looking and nods his head proudly.

A large smile spreads over Everett's face, glancing between Khari and Alex. "Congratulations, you two. I'm happy for you."

Khari clasps his hands with my brother, bowing his head to Everett. "I appreciate it. I'm just happy he said yes."

Alex rolls his eyes. "Like I would have said no."

"I'll send you two a nice wedding gift. Nothing too expensive, though I know Alex wouldn't object to something over priced and useless."

Alex winks at him. "You know me well. How about you get us a coffee maker? I was gonna steal one from the palace so you'll save me a lot of trouble."

Everett laughs, nodding his head. "Deal. I'll try to send it soon. I'll have to get some paper work done now that we have Remington in custody. She isn't getting a trial given the proof of her crimes, so I can actually get a weekend off instead of dealing with a court case and interrogations."

I glance over Everett's shoulder to see the agents putting a restraint around Analiese's ankles. They then lift her into the helicopter, strapping her in tightly. As the agents get her ready to leave, Analiese and I make eye contact for a moment. Once again it feels like I'm looking into Julian's eyes and not Analiese. In her hazel eyes I see frustration and anger there, but I also see a hint of gratitude. The gratitude she tried to hide from me earlier.

I look back at Everett. "Will you keep me posted on how she's doing?"

He looks shocked by this request, but he nods his head. "I can. But why?"

I look back at Analiese, watching as her hazel eyes disappear behind the helicopter door as it's swung shut. I still stare at the helicopter as I tell Everett; "Her brother was very important to me. I want to make sure she's alright."

Everett shakes his head, laughing lightly to himself. "You know you never cease to amaze me, Soroya."

I smile back to him. "Well I'd hate to be predictable."

Everett's radio screeches slightly as one of his agents alerts him that Analiese is strapped in and restrained. The man asks when their departure will be. Everett lifts his radio from his belt and tells him he'll be there in a moment.

Clipping his radio back onto his belt, Everett smiles at each of us. "I need to get going. I promise I'll keep you posted on how Remington is doing. I also promise I'll buy the coffee machine."

I take a few steps forward and wrap my arms around his neck, pulling him in for a hug. "Thank you for everything Everett. Truly."

Everett hugs me back, nodding his head firmly to me once he pulls back. Nakia also walks forward and embraces him. T'Challa brings his hand out and grips Everett's tightly, nodding his head. "Remember that you are always welcome here."

Everett nods, looking between all of us. "I appreciate that, T'Challa. I really do."

With one finale smile and nod to us, Everett Ross makes his way back towards the helicopters, bringing his radio out once again to alert his team of their departure. As Everett climbs inside the helicopter Analiese was put in, and as the blades of the helicopter begin to spin, I feel like a weight has been lifted off of me. This whole ordeal is finally over. It feels so good to be able to say that.

Analiese would be starting anew today and so would I. I finally know everything about my past and about my powers. It's something I had wanted for so long and now finally have, just like she got what she finally wanted. Hopefully now we could both move on from our pasts. Hopefully we could now both find that peace.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

338K 5.6K 21
"Promise me you'll be happy. Promise me you'll find peace, that you'll find a home." "I promise." A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY โ”€ BOOK 1 of the FALLEN WA...
102K 2.9K 81
Friends since childhood, separated by tragedy. Can you seem to find each other again? Can you save each other? A Bucky x Reader story. Romance / Angs...
41.4K 1.2K 27
๐‹๐”๐‚๐˜ Barnes is a ghost to the new age. After losing her in the year 1950, Bucky Barnes lost himself. He was forced into a life of killing and tor...