Jack the Ripper

By Soul-of-a-dragon

It's been twenty years since Jacob, Evie and (Name) have freed London from the clutches of Starrick and his m... More

Prologue
Chapter Two - The Unfortunates
Chapter Three - The Lady Talks
Chapter Four - Letter of Intent
Chapter Five - Prisoners
Chapter Six - Loose Ends
Chapter Seven - The Mother of All Crimes
Chapter 8 - Family Reunion
Chapter Nine - Live by the Creed, Die by the Creed
The End

Chapter One - Autumn of Terror

551 16 2
By Soul-of-a-dragon

All was quiet in the lodging, not a single sound could be heard. It was so quiet, that I was aware of my own breathing as I kept my footsteps light and nimble, allowing for no sound to be heard from me. Knowing that there was a monster loose in the streets of London, and could be lurking anywhere, I did not want to alarm him of my presence in the lodging. While I was meant to be out of London by now and on my way to Crawley, I could not leave my husband to continue to deal with this terror all on his own, even if we have nothing to show for all the work we have being doing thus far. 'Hence why we have summoned Evie from India, we can't do this alone I am afraid.' I thought to myself. Not long after, I heard a familiar pair of footsteps close by. I quietly made my way over to the one who is here.

"Jacob?" I said softly as I approached him. He turned around at the sound of my voice, and I could see the worry in his eyes.

"(Name), what on Earth are you doing here? You know it's not safe." He begins to say as he walked up to me. "And what about (Child's name)?" I knew he couldn't help but ask, as our child is never too far away from me, even though he/she is not exactly a child anymore.

"(Child's name) is safe. He/she is not in London, not while that monster is here. He/she should be on the train to Crawley. As for me, I am here to help you." Before anything else could be said, the sound of a crash could be heard. Worry pulled at my heart strings as there could only be one reason as to who would break into this place.

"(Name), please hide and don't come out, no matter what you hear."

"Let me help you, Jacob. I refuse to let this monster take you from me." He didn't say anything as he begins to push me into the closest closet as the sound of footsteps got closer. "Jacob...please don't leave me..." I looked at him with nothing but hurt in my eyes, knowing that this was not going to end well. I don't want to lose him.

"I love you, (Nickname)." He said, and we both knew that nothing else could be said. We both knew this had to end, and I could tell from the look in his eyes and his body language that he doesn't want me to get hurt. But can't he see that I don't want him hurt either?

"I love you too, Jacob." His lips crashed onto mine, though it felt bittersweet, before he closed the door of the closet and walked away, not wanting the Ripper to know that I am here. I walked back as far as I could remaining as quit as I could to not alert the monster that I am here. I slowly sat down and closed my eyes as I took slow breaths to calm my racing heart. In all my years of being an assassin, nothing has scared me more than the Ripper, a ruthless monster who kills with no mercy and is not afraid to make things bloody in order to achieve his goal. The fear I felt, has me clenching my fist. 'I am an assassin; I don't fear things that easily. But something about The Ripper has me trembling, and I hate it.' I thought to myself.

It wasn't long before I could hear the sound of fighting. Weapons clashed, objects crashed against the wall, things fell off the shelves, it was something that had me fearing for my husband's life. The temptation to run out there and fight with him was increasing with each passing second, but I knew that if something were to happen, I knew Jacob was counting on me to help out in a different way.

"Don't you see the irony, brother...?" A voice spoke as the fighting dies down. I felt shivers run down my spine, fear gripping my heart, worry for Jacob increasing by the second. I walked closer to the door to be able to hear better, while remaining quit, not wanting to alert the Ripper of my presence.

"Jack..." Jacob said. 'So that's the name of The Ripper. I swear I have heard the name Jack before.' I thought to myself.

"Only you know who the 'Ripper' is...But you can't tell a living soul...because it would destroy you, and the Assassins." I heard the sound of, I presume, Jacob pushing the Ripper off of him. "No, no, no, NO!" A thud could be heard, and I can only hope and pray that Jacob is okay.

"Jack. We can fix you."

"Fix ME? I am the solution. And don't worry, I'll make sure your wife is taken care of." Was the last thing that was heard before a bang and then nothing but silence. I clamped my hands over my mouth, silencing the whimper that was threatening to escape. All I could do was remain in the closet for the time being and pray, hoping that everything was going to be okay.

After quite some time, I left the closet and found the place quiet. No one was in sight, no Jacob and no Ripper. I breathed a sigh of relief, though the feeling of worry, concern and fear spread throughout my body, I had to clutch my hand in order to stop shaking. Not wasting anytime, I ran from the place and made my way to Scotland Yard. Mr. Abberline needs to know what has happened. 'Don't worry Jacob, I will find you and bring this monster down.' Was the only thought that came to mind as I made my way to my destination.

Evie's POV

After a tiresome journey, I had finally arrived at Scotland Yard. Though my original destination was to meet up with both Jacob and (Name), who had summoned me back to London, but something must have come up or else I would not have been escorted here.

"Miss Frye." Mr. Abberline said the moment I walked in through the door.

"Inspector Abberline. Why exactly have you had me escorted here?" I asked, getting right to the point.

"My men and I have been hunting the Ripper 'round the clock for months now, and we've nothing to show for it... At least nothing I can tell the public."

"What has the 'Ripper' to do with me? My brother and sister-in-law have had me summoned here from India—can't this wait?"

"As far as I know, you and (Name) may just be the last assassins in London..." I stood there in shock, wondering just what I have missed while I was away.

"What do you mean? Where is Jacob? And what of their child?"

"I wish I knew... Your brother is nowhere to be found even as an elusive shadow is committing the most hideous crimes this city has ever seen. (Name) has been working non-stop with this case, but she can't do it alone. (Child's name) has been sent away from London, but (Name) has refused to leave, choosing to remain working this case. Hopefully, she will be here soon with some news about the Ripper, or even Jacob."

"About Jacob, you believe this is no coincidence?"

"The killer is selective and dispassionate and has left not a single trace of his passage. I have seen such talent for assassination and avoiding detection only once before... When I worked with the three of you. And that is why your brother and (Name) summoned you, before Jacob disappeared..."

"You think Jacob is dead."

"I dare not believe it. But if Jacob is, you and (Name) may be the only ones who can stop the Ripper now." Before he could say anything else, someone climbed through the window, interrupting us.

"Mr. Abberline," they begin to say before spotting me. "Evie, you're here." I looked and saw that it was indeed (Name). She walked forward and gave me a quick hug before turning back towards the inspector.

"(Name), it's about time you showed up. I was beginning to worry." Mr. Abberline said.

"I bring bad news, I'm afraid. The Ripper, he has Jacob, whether he is dead or alive is unknown. Though I pray for the latter. I was able to avoid him thankfully, thanks to Jacob, but we might not have much time."

"Hold on, what has happened?" I asked.

"I was waiting for Jacob, though he had not known I was still in London. Last we spoke, I was meant to make my way to Crawley, but only (Child's name) went. I wasn't going to leave my husband, but thanks to him I have escaped his clutches, for now...However I fear the Ripper has plans for us all."

"Then let's not waste any more time. Follow me." Nothing else was said as the Inspector led us outside, towards the carriage. "I'll take you both to the site where the Ripper first struck... The journalists always seem to get the word first—we get there, they've trampled the evidence, and next day's headlines are dripping with blood. The few hundred yards between Flower and Dean Street have become so dangerous that even my best constables are afraid to patrol Whitechapel at night. Let's take a carriage, shall we? I'd rather not get egg on my face again today."

"I'll drive." We all mounted the carriage and continued our way towards the crime scene. "What has become of this borough?" I asked, needing to know just what has happened while I was away.

"It's not how it used to be, Evie. Whitechapel has become a cesspool of crime, nothing but terror reigns. I am truly amazed I have remained from the clutches of the Ripper for this long, especially with what has happened to the Rooks." I saw that (Name) had clenched her fists as she finished speaking, her lips in a thin line.

"Elsewhere," Mr. Abberline continues, seeing as (Name) didn't say anymore, "the rich get richer, but there, the poor are living on the living, fighting to survive each day..."

"This is not the London we saved twenty years ago..."

"Many reporters share a view of Whitechapel as a lair of savages, monsters and werewolves who hold honest citizens in a state of terror..."

"The Ripper's terror." I stated.

"We are not far from where Mary Ann Nichols was murdered. I knew her as Polly, that's what her friends called her. But the woman who died here is not the woman I met a few times at the Frying Pan pub..." Mr. Abberline said.

"Then who was she?" I asked.

"Someone I once knew. She did not deserve this fate, none of them deserved this." (Name) said as we entered the crime scene.

"This is where 'the Ripper' committed his first murder. Was Miss Nichols' body identified?"

"Her husband hadn't seen her in 11 years; and then when he does finally see her, he could barely glance at the poor, mutilated women he once called his wife before having the gall to 'forgive her for what she had done to him."

"The press reported widely that Miss Nichol's finger bore the mark of a ring. It was forcibly removed, and the same is true for his other victims..." Mr. Abberline said.

"Evie, all the victims, they were one of ours." I heard (Name) mutter before she went and investigated the blood spatter around the area before coming across a ring in a path a patch of grass. "Miss Nichols' ring, thrown away during the struggle in a desperate act to protect the Brotherhood. It is no coincidence that she, and all the others, were targeted.

"If that's not all the newspapers are accusing the police—me—of letting 'the first city of the world lapse into primeval savagery'. I apologise Evie, (Name) but I must take my leave. I have other business in Whitechapel."

"Good day, Inspector. Thank you for your discretion." I said as he left, leaving (Name) and I standing there. "Care to fill me in on what has happened here?" I asked her, and thus she begins explaining everything. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.7K 254 18
When the Scottish Assassin Isla Jerco comes to London she meets a twin. Jacob Frye to be exact.
140K 4K 30
I write this on my phone so, pardon the errors! xDD _________________________________ Don't let ignorant feelings interfere with your duty or all els...
6K 238 26
London has fallen to the Templars. Their rule has been so long that it has been more than a hundred years since the Assassins were driven out of the...
210K 3.2K 36
A short story about our favorite female assassin and a lovable male assassin (You) Assassins Creed is owned by Ubisoft See an adventure that tests th...