Written In The Scars

By AmeliaValerie

Abbas Abdul Rabbani, youngest Prince of Balqaas, is the most wanted bachelor in the city. But after an injury... More

Disclaimer
Preface
Character List and Relationship Tree
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Final Chapter
Epilogue
Sequel

Chapter 16

4.2K 340 48
By AmeliaValerie

It was the morning of Kawthar's wedding day. Close members of the family had joined together at the Masjid to witness the Nikaah, Diya and her parents included.

Haifa had also joined them, coming straight from the Palace in a heavily escorted palanquin (arranged by Abbas of course), which had brought in some excitement from family as well as the townspeople. Haifa had originally asked for a simple carriage or at the very least, a single horse but the Prince had given her a bewildered look as if she were speaking a foreign language. He stated how he would never in a million years, let her do such a thing because it was 'like you are travelling around with a target board stuck on your body', his exact words.

She tried her best to hold in her laughter because of how serious he looked, but when Haifa saw the readied palanquin this morning, with an entourage big enough to be a small army, she realised how serious Abbas was.

And it was because of her dear husband's (paranoia) love for her, that Haifa had a dozen people come to greet her the moment she stepped out, delaying her from entering the Masjid. Luckily, she hadn't missed the Nikaah ceremony altogether, taking a seat on the carpet beside her mother and sister, who were listening to the Imaam read verses of the Quran.

They whispered quick salaams to each other, before Kawthar and her fiancé were called to the front to start. After discussing the Mahr, and accepting vows, everyone cheered and congratulated the new couple, before making ways back to their own homes to get ready for the Walimah.

The girls in the family all left for Kawthar's house, where it was a custom for the women to get the bride ready together. Haifa looked forward to it the most, especially because it wasn't possible during her wedding.

The entire house was filled with an excited buzz, family members mainly rushing in and out with clothes or food trays in their arms.

"It definitely was a good idea to come in our outfits." Diya whispered to her sister. Haifa smiled in response as they made their way through the house.

"Girls you're here!" their aunt Sara greeted, dressed in matching colours. She gave them quick hugs and ushered them into the main room.

When Haifa and Diya entered, the living room of her cousin's house had completely transformed. All the Majlis cushions had been pushed to the middle and joined together so that in the centre was a large seating area for the girls to sit. Surrounded by a group of excited giggling girls, sat Kawthar, her eyes closed as Layla gently dabbed glittery powder for a ceramic pot on her.

"Haifa, can you take over for me?" Layla requested, "I am the least ready out of everyone, and if Mama sees me, she will go ballistic! I've done her makeup, all she needs is a little help to put her dress on."

"Sure," she replied and led Kawthar to her room upstairs to change. Diya stayed downstairs to help the others finish up and tidy the space.

As Haifa laced the strings at the back of her dress, Kawthar fell into a nervous silence.

"Feeling alright?" Haifa asked.

"Hm?" Kawthar hummed, snapping out of her thoughts. "Yeah, just can't believe it's really happening. I'm really getting married."

"Yes, you are Azeezati. You are finally getting married to the man you have been crushing on for years." Haifa smiled, teasing her cousin to lighten up the mood.

"Oh please, Amr liked me first!" Kawthar retaliated, blushing slightly.

"Indeed?" Haifa joked, using her husband's teasing line. The Prince was really rubbing off on her.

"On the topic of marriage," Kawthar started successfully steering away from the topic. "Did you hear about Khalid? I'm sure everyone in our family knows now that mama has told the aunts."

"Yes! Though Diya was the one to tell me."

"Of course she would," Kawthar jeered, the cogs in her mind slowly turning.

"Why, is something the matter?" Haifa inquired as she smoothed out Kawthar's dress, ready for them to make their way back downstairs.

"I have a feeling I know who Khalid has in mind,"

"Hm..." Haifa hummed. She might have an idea too.

"I don't really want to say though, just in case I am wrong. Moreover, I don't want to make things awkward for them again just after they have sorted things." Kawthar continued.

"I understand, especially we don't know if she feels the same," Haifa added, and Kawthar met her eyes, both knowing they were talking about the same person.

"Let's leave this conversation for later," Haifa interrupted. "Right now, our families are both waiting for a beautiful bride to grace their presence."

Kawthar giggled, happy tears surfacing over her glittering eyes.

As they entered, everyone cheered. Kawthar's mother and the girls embraced the bride, complimenting her appearance, and wiping away tears of joy. The men joined soon after, and Kawthar's father couldn't hold back his emotions when he saw his daughter. Even Khalid was smiling brightly.

Haifa joined Diya's side, who happened to be looking at a particular someone, with a small gleam.

The moment he stepped into the room, Diya could not stop her gaze from wandering to him. Khalid wore a crisp white Thawb with an emerald waistcoat that had patterns of gold weaved into the fabric, matching his father and little brother. Somewhere in the far back of her mind, she admitted he looked handsome, too handsome for her to even admit and no matter how far she pushed the thought away, Diya felt a slight tingle of warmth in her chest.

"He's actually smiling." she muttered to her sister in awe.

"Oh, you mean Khalid?" Haifa teased, watching her sister carefully. "Leave him be! It's his sister's wedding, so of course, he would be overjoyed."

"I know, but it's such a rare sight to see him like this!" Diya laughed. Her eyes drifted back to his figure, as he patted his little brother's back.

Khalid knew he could feel someone's stare, but never in his right mind would he think it was Diya. When their eyes met, she looked away surprised but then returned when he still hadn't looked away.

Even from the other side of the room, Khalid could see how beautiful Diya looked. Though she wore the same colour as every other girl in their family, he still managed to spot her apart from the others. He gave her a sly smile, raising his brows in silent question.

She looked absolutely flabbergasted, reddening a little in her cheeks, before looking away. He was about to walk up to her when everyone started leaving to make ways to the Groom's house.

No matter how hard Diya fanned her face, she still felt her cheeks burning. Khalid had smiled at her. Actually smiled, for the first time in years! As she sat in a carriage with her parents, Diya stayed close to the window, hoping for the air to cool her flaming skin. Haifa watched from the opposite side, smiling as her sister awkwardly twitched around in her seat until it came to the point when their mother noticed something was wrong.

"Diya, will you stay still? Your fidgeting is making us all anxious! It's not like you're getting married today!"

Maybe not today, but I have a feeling sometime in the near future. Haifa thought, bearing a playful smile.

***

Kawthar's now-husband was waiting outside with the rest of his family gathered around. Haifa watched along with the others as her uncle helped his stunning daughter out of the carriage she was in, Khalid and little Adam by their father's side. They led her up to Amr, Khalid's best friend, exchanging words before passing Kawthar's hand to his. Everyone cheered Takbeers as he led his bride inside, his family following suit and finally Kawthar's.

Two massive tents had been put up in the extended backyard for the Walimah. The separated curtain had not been drawn yet, so family and relatives could celebrate the feast together. Kawthar sat at the very top seat with a gleaming Amr by her side.

Haifa and Diya sat by their parents on their cousin's side, making sure to go around and greet everyone they knew, before finally taking a seat.

"I'm delighted and grateful that you all could make it here today to celebrate the marriage of my dear son Amr, to Um Khalid's beautiful daughter, Kawthar." Amr's father started, giving the newly-wed couple a warm smile. "I wanted to start off by making dua that their kinship is blessed with barakah and that they both become the light to each other's eyes."

Everyone muttered an Ameen in response.

"Now without further ado, shall we commence first with food?" And with his words, massive trays of grilled meat, bread and assorted salads were brought in. The tent was filled with a slender of smells that radiated off the delicious food. Everyone dug in, and soon the atmosphere was bustling with conversations.

Haifa was seated between her mother and Diya.

"So," Haifa started. "How has Diya been? Has she been behaving well?" She asked her mother, and Yumna smiled.

"Of course I behave!" Diya but in, before her mother replied.

"Yes yes, if you must say so." Their mother gleaned.

"Mama!"

"Have you forgotten about how you acted two nights ago?" Her mother reminded her.

"Well, that was only one time!" Diya defended.

"What happened?" Haifa asked inquisitively.

"Your sister was acting like a ridiculous baby. First, she didn't want to go to your aunt's house, then when we got there, she wouldn't leave my side!" Their mother replied, lowering her voice.

"Why?"

"Nothing, I was just feeling exhausted from all the wedding buzz," Diya replied avoiding eye contact with her eldest sister.

"Anyways, how is life at the Palace? I take it you're much more settled in?" Yumna asked, moving on to the next daughter.

"Yes, Alhamdulillah," Haifa replied, a smile forming. Her mother nodded, knowing Haifa didn't need to explain, with the beaming smile her daughter wore. "It has been a while since I've been with the whole family, but hopefully I can catch up with everyone, whilst I am back for a while."

After everyone had finished eating, a soft strum of music started playing, and everyone got up from their seats to mingle. Rumi, Zahra, Layla and her sister Amna joined Haifa and Diya, the girls giggling away as they caught up over stories of their recent embarrassments.

"It is a real shame the Prince, or should I say your dear husband, couldn't attend today." Amna, the youngest of them sighed. "I really wanted to see him."

"I apologise on his behalf, Azeezati. He had something important today, otherwise, he would have definitely been here." Haifa explained, patting her cousin on her back.

"The Prince is a busy man, Amna, you should know that!" Layla scolded her sister.

"Guys, guys. Look over there!" Rumi interrupted, furiously tapping Diya's shoulder, who happened to be the closest to her. Everyone stopped and averted their gaze to where she had pointed, their eyes falling on Khalid. He was surrounded by a group of his friends, some from his patrol team, when two girls sauntered over to them, giggling away. They started a conversation, batting their eyelashes away of which the girls could see even from their distance.

"Do you think one of them could be our dear cousin's...you know..." Layla continued, everyone eyeing the giggling girls suspiciously.

Watching the two girls giggle flirtatiously made Diya feel slightly agitated. But the moment one of them placed a hand on Khalid's arm, she was furious. Diya clenched a hand behind her back, stopping herself from walking right up to those girls and strangling the sultry smiles off their faces.

Wait, hang on.

Why was she this annoyed? Why should she care about what those girls were doing again?

"Hm, maybe? But surely Khalid has better taste than...them." Rumi answered, scorning at how shamelessly they were trying to flirt with the guys. "I mean who knows what Khalid is thinking. He is rather inexpressive, but maybe just maybe he's into those type of girls?"

Diya scoffed aloud, which made the girls turn to face her.

Even Haifa was surprised by her sister's reaction.

"I'm sure Khalid has no interest whatsoever. Those girls are just trying to flirt," Diya rambled. "I mean look at the death glares he's sending that girl with his hand on him,"

"Not as harsh as the ones you're sending her!" Rumi snorted, slapping Diya's arm.

"What? Of course, I'm annoy-displeased with how shamelessly that girl is flirting with our cousin," Diya stuttered, trying to convince her cousins otherwise.

"Of course!" Rumi replied, smiling at her cousin's awkward response.

Diya couldn't help but look at Khalid again, who now had stepped away from the others. She inwardly sighed in relief, when Layla scuttled forward, weaving her way through the crowd.

"Where is she going?" Amna enquired before bouncing off to follow her sister.

Haifa, Rumi and Diya watched as Layla made her way towards a tense Khalid, stopping him in his tracks with Amna by her side.

"What are they-oh let's just join them!" Rumi huffed, tugging along the sisters with her.

"So Khalid, we saw you talking to those girls," Layla started, when the other three girls joined. "Want to tell us what is going on?"

"Nothing is going on, and to correct you, that girl was doing all the talking," Khalid replied grimly.

"Really now? She doesn't happen to be-"

"Khalid!" At the call of their cousin's name, the girls turned to the direction of the voice. A girl with beautifully flowing Chesnut curls skipped up to them, a bright innocent smile lighting up her delicate features. Her topaz eyes held onto Khalid before they fell on the girls he was surrounded by.

"Ameera," Khalid replied, taking a step forward.

From the corner of Haifa's eye, she witnessed Layla's jaw drop when Khalid's stone-cold features melted into a smile. The other's looked at each other in shock, except for her dear sister who seemed to be tugging at her dress nervously.

"Care to introduce us?" Rumi demanded, the most composed out of them.

"Um, yes, this is Ameera. My supervisor's daughter. She's around your age." Khalid clarified, his smile disappearing like he was trying to compose himself.

"Nice to meet you!" Rumi simpered, taking the girl's hand and vigorously shaking it. "I'm Rumi, and this is Layla, Haifa, Amna and Diya. We're Khalid's maternal cousins."

"It's so nice to finally meet you all!" Ameera beamed.

"So, did our dear cousin invite you here?" Amna quizzed, a devious smile on her face.

"No, actually my father did. He is good friends with Ameera's father, him being my team supervisor and all," Khalid explained, his eyes landing on Diya for a moment.

"That's lovely! I hope you enjoy your time here, we'll leave you two to talk." Haifa interluded, grabbing her cousins by the arms and pulling them away.

"Hey, what was that for?" Layla questioned when they were a safe distance away.

"I don't think we should interrupt," she explained, looking at her frowning sister, who seemed immersed in Khalid and Ameera's conversation to care about Rumi and Amna trying to hold Layla back from running back.

"Diya, you ok?" Haifa inquired, patting her sister on the arm. "You have been unusually quiet,"

Which was definitely unusual, especially during weddings. Diya was always the most excited during parties.

"Yeah...I'm fine," Diya replied, giving her sister a weak smile. "I'm going to go find Mama, one second,"

But before Haifa could stop her, Diya was already off.

***

Diya felt pathetic. As she stumbled her way out of the tent, she took a deep breath of fresh air. The tent was overbearingly warm, and now that she was outside, she felt a lot better.

Something was definitely wrong with her. The moment she saw Khalid smile at Ameera, never in her life had she wanted to slap the innocent smile off of that girl's face.

Diya sighed. Her chest throbbed, with unfamiliar pain. Maybe she had eaten too much?

She looked up at the sky, its twinkling pearls of light watching her. Why was she feeling like this? He was her cousin for God's sake, but honestly, she never looked at him that way the moment her eyes fell on him at the marketplace.

Diya could never tell anyone about this. Not even Haifa. She hated having to keep this away from her main confidente but until she could make sense of this feeling herself, Diya was going to keep this to herself.

Especially if Khalid had eyes for Ameera, which she clearly thought he did after the way he was looking at her like that. Of course! Ameera was the one he was talking about, the one he was considering! Diya couldn't deny that she was pretty, and she seemed way more mature than any of her cousins, despite being around the same age. Ameera even reminded her of her own sister a bit.

But why did that make her chest feel heavy?

Snapping out of her wild thoughts, she turned round to walk back to the tent when, to her luck, Khalid stepped out.

Their eyes immediately met.

"Oh-um, Hi." Diya stammered.

"Was the heat too much for you too?" he asked, his face expressionless. Diya nodded, her eyes falling to her fiddling hands. They both were quiet for a moment, Khalid watching her.

"Um - she seems nice," Diya mumbled, trying to break the thick veil of awkwardness. "Ameera, I mean,"

"Oh, um yeah Ameera. She's very kind and has a genuinely caring personality," Khalid answered, and Diya nodded, her heart thrumming.

The two were silent again, until a chilly breeze blew by, making Diya shiver a little.

"Are you cold?" Khalid inquired, unbuttoning his waistcoat quickly before holding it out to her.

"No, no it's fine! I'm going to head back inside now anyways." Diya insisted, her cheeks reddening. As much as her heart wished for her to take it, Diya knew it was wrong and would only arouse suspicion. She hurried back in, but before leaving Khalid, she turned back to him and smiled.

"Thank you for the suggestion and-also good luck-with Ameera." she smiled, as much as it pained to do so, before heading in. The moment Diya stepped into the tent, she made a promise to herself that she would eradicate this nonsensical feeling, convincing herself it was for the better good. She would, even if it went against her feelings.

Khalid stood there awkwardly, holding his waistcoat, trying to comprehend her words as her figure disappeared into the crowded tent.

He had a long way to go if he was to convince her to marry him.

***

Abbas sighed for the fifteenth time that hour. Dumping the papers in his hand, he sat back against his armchair and closed his stinging eyes. After a dragging three-hour discussion with a few advisers, his head pounded with pain, his back wishing to succumb on the Majlis cushions by the fireplace.

He pushed his chair back and walked over to them. A little rest wouldn't be so bad.

Two hours later, the Prince jolted out of his sleep. He sat up abruptly, groaning in disappointment. Feeling the flutters of sleep still pulling him in, Abbas resorted to going back to his room to rest.

Arriving to a completely dark room definitely surprised him, having forgotten that Haifa was not home tonight. Usually, she would be tucked into the blankets with a book on her lap, candles around the room emitting a warm glow around her. But tonight, she was going to be staying with her parents after her cousin's wedding.

It had only been this morning since he last saw her off, but he was already missing her, missing her presence and her smile that would replenish him with energy again.

If not for the endless meetings he had to attend, he would have gone with her. But deep down, he was glad he didn't, for he still felt conscious of leaving the Palace walls with his scar plus the wedding would force him to be surrounded by lots of people.

Sighing yet again, he fell onto the plush bed. An icy breeze glazed over his skin, causing him to shiver a little.

Abbas sprang out of bed. How could there be a breeze indoors, unless-

He strode over to the double doors of the balcony, noticing they were slightly ajar. Because of how drained he was, the Prince failed to notice it when he entered.

Immediately, he began searching around the room.

Nothing seemed out of place, which meant it couldn't be a thief, not like a thief could enter the heavily guarded gates anyway. Just when he thought Haifa must have forgotten to shut it, something glinted at the corner of his eyes.

There on the bookshelf beside her books, lay a piece of parchment paper scrawled with blood-red ink. As he read the note, his eyes fell onto the silver ring that lay beside where the note was.

With shaking hands, he slowly picked it up, recognizing the unique patterns indented into it.

It couldn't be. The only person he knew who had such a ring was-

Junayd.

So we have ended this chapter with two very interesting cliffhangers! Please let me know your thoughts on how you felt after reading this chapter, especially with the revelation of the stone-cold Khalid's feelings! And don't forget to press the little star after every chapter!

Glossary:

Nikaah - The formal confirmation of marriage, where the marriage certificates are signed.

Imaam - Muslim version of a priest

Mahr - Dowry in Arabic

Walimah - Ceremony

Azeezati - Sweety/honey in Arabic

Thawb - Long white clothing Arab men wear

Takbeer - Cheer

Barakah - Arabic word for Blessing

Alhamdulillah - Thank God

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.1K 3K 49
☆ AMAAN ULLAH ZAMAN ☆ 27 year old ex-marine who is now looking for some meaning in his life. After his father remarried he doesn't have a family to c...
1.1K 91 22
Book 01 of Royal Kingdoms Series After the death of the Sultan of Umeedaria, his son is expected to take the throne. No one is aware who the son of t...
55.4K 5.2K 107
Huzaifah and Safoora are siblings attending a faraway islamic boarding school where memorizing the Quran and academic education is compulsory. They a...
76.2K 5.5K 40
[Arabian Nights meets Atlantis] She wants to save her family. He wants to save his people. After selling all of her belongings to survive, Alara has...