NaNoWriMo Journal

By BrianGroover

This is the journal of a walk through writing an entire novel in a month, as it happens. This includes thoug... More

NaNoWriMo 01: Getting Started
NaNoWriMo 02: Why Write at All?
NaNoWriMo 03: Tools, Techniques, and Teachers
NaNoWriMo 04: The Snowflake Method
NaNoWriMo 05: To Spoil or Not to Spoil?
NaNoWriMo 06: Plot Summary
NaNoWriMo 07: More Plot Details (and more spoilers!)
NaNoWriMo 08: Scene List
NaNoWriMo 09: Ready!
NaNoWriMo 10: Off and Running!
NaNoWriMo 11: The Rest of Gerleesh's Home Story
NaNoWriMo 12: Changing Scenes
NaNoWriMo 13: Covers
NaNoWriMo 14: When Little Bear Wakes
NaNoWriMo 15: Hitchcock and Symbiosis
NaNoWriMo 17: Ice Age Spirituality
NaNoWriMo 18: Long Spear Tribe
NaNoWriMo 19: Tyrannical Survival Math
NaNoWriMo 20: Fire Hunter and Story Progression
NaNoWriMo 21: Dilemma
NaNoWriMo 22: Stuck
NaNoWriMo 23: Moving On
NaNoWriMo 24: Finishing Strong
NaNoWriMo 25: Thanksgiving
NaNoWriMo 26: Is NaNoWriMo Over?
NaNoWriMo 27: Getting to the End
NaNoWriMo 28: A Note About Ice Ages
NaNoWriMo 2014 Journal 29: 2015 NaNo
NaNoWriMo 30: Why I Love NaNoWriMo
2015 NaNo 02

NaNoWriMo 16: Of Rabbits, Gods, Plots, and Halfway Marks

27 4 13
By BrianGroover

Hoo-hah!  I’m on day eight, and I’ve reached the halfway mark for NaNoWriMo, with 25,349 words.  Not only that, I feel the novel is actually flowing well.  

I have made a total hash of the scene list, yet I still say that it was a worthwhile exercise.  I look at it now, and about half the scenes are not going to be in the novel at all.  It is still going towards the same conclusion, but the natural flow of the story has taken it out of a context that makes sense for most of them.

We will see what happens, but I am beginning to think that one of my strengths is being able to be creative and logical, so I can flow forward from one point to another that makes sense, and see the situation creatively.  Maybe so, maybe not, but that’s what I’m thinking.

(And no, I’m not trying to toot my own horn, here.  Remember, I’m just an amateur writer trying to make it into the bigs, and figuring out my own strengths and weaknesses is part of that process.  I don’t just want to write a novel in a month; I want to write a good novel in a month.  I want it to be commercially viable and a fun, gripping read.)

Anyway, the scene list is getting ripped apart, but it’s still there, giving me an outline to go towards.  I still have a conclusion I’ve been driving to from the beginning.  I still know where I’m going, even if getting from Maine to Florida involves a detour through Denver.  

Anyway, we’ll see what happens with the scene list when it’s done.

I’d like to hear how the whole rabbit scenario played out for you.  It was there initially to show that Little Bear was more than just a human; he has Gerleesh inside him, and Gerleesh is no longer tied entirely to the flesh.  

Then that aspect of logical flow I was talking about started working on it, and I realized that the rabbit that was thus gentled away from fear of its situation with humans might want to come back for more.  That partly provided comic relief, and partly provided an opportunity to show the perils of opening those kinds of connections for Little Bear.

Willow in particular is convinced the rabbit is a god, and remains so.  Only Raccoon is cynical about it.  The rest of the tribe is convinced Little Bear has done something really bad.  That also sets things up for later.

There is a lot more conflict coming up.  I’m sure it will get back to the scene list.

One of these days.

Brian Groover
Frederick, Maryland
Saturday, 7 November 2014

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.3K 2.4K 34
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...
118K 13.3K 29
"သူက သူစိမ်းမှ မဟုတ်တာ..." "..............." "အဟင်း..ငယ်သူငယ်ချင်းလို့ပြောရမလား..အတန်းတူတက်ခဲ့ဖူးတဲ့ အတန်းဖော်လို့ ပြောရမလား...ဒါမှမဟုတ်..ရန်သူတွေလို...
38.7K 1.3K 17
18 year old Ymir grew up on the outskirts of a small Romanian village. On her 18th birthday she sought out to run away from home when things haven't...
16K 561 26
روايه اماراتيه تتكلم عن مثايل وحيده امها وابوها الي عانت من الم الانفصال الام : نوره الاب : محمد تاريخ الكتابه : 19/3/2023 تاريخ التنزيل : ..