Out Of Sight, Always In Mind!

By DoctorWhoWrites

Keya Sharma was orphaned at ten, but her life only shattered after the death of her brother. She was brought... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
SAM's Story
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 : The Party Begins
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20 : Part 1
Chapter 20 : Part 2
Chapter 21
Chapter 22 : The Facebook Freud
Chapter 23
Chapter 24 : Part 1
Chapter 24 : Part 2
Chapter 25
Chapter 26 : ..and they said It! <3
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33 : Simran Speaks
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Teaser :: Chapter 36
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42 : Part 1
Chapter 42 : Part 2
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45 : Part 1
Chapter 45 : Part 2
Chapter 46 :: The Bachelors
Chapter 46 :: Aanya and Raj
Chapter 46 :: Tanya and Krish
Chapter 46 :: Keya and Vivan
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chpt 50 : 100k reads Special!
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55 :: Raj's Reality
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59 - Only If..
Chapter 60
Chapter 61

Chapter 4

3.3K 88 8
By DoctorWhoWrites

The head office is in a complete mess. Employees are running around like maniacs. People are struggling to get their work done. There is nervousness and anxiety all around. After all, they were to meet their new boss today.  

Mr. Shukla entered the office and sighed once he took in the scene.

He called out loud, "Guys, Relax.! He isn’t some monster.!! You all will love him. There is no need to panic. Now just relax and get ready to welcome him. He will be here anytime soon."

The receptionist came in running to him, "Everything is set sir.. We have got the flowers and Sahil Sir is ready with the welcome speech"

Sahil walked in at that time, "His car has entered the premises.. Get ready."

"Alright team! Let’s give our new boss a warm welcome and make him feel at home! We have to show him that we are the best team he could ever have. So game on!" Mr. Shukla said. Though he was the most senior officer out there, he has always been close to even the youngest of the employees.

Vivan's POV:-

I was in the lift of "my" new office. I am surely nervous! What if they don't like me? But hey.. Why do I care? I'm their boss. Doesn't matter. The office building was very much similar to the one back home. So I felt little easy to adjust.

The lift doors opened and as I walked into the lobby of my floor, there were claps all around.

Shukla Uncle came ahead and gave me a huge flower bouquet along with a warm hug.

"Thank you Uncle but this wasn't necessary.."

I looked around and saw smiling faces. There were many young people out here along with the middle aged men and women.

I returned back their smiles. Some girls were already blushing just by that. Dude! Indian girls are so easy!

That was when a guy, must be around my age, came forward and introduced himself. "Good morning Sir, I'm Sahil. Your new assistant and the chief project supervisor".

We shared a firm handshake and she started speaking again. He gave some sort of speech which I barely paid any attention to. But yes, I could tell that it was welcoming.

He stopped and that was my clue to start.

"Thanks Sahil and thanks a ton all of you guys. Alright let's start with some honesty. I'm new to all this. I never imagined I'd ever be doing this. But now that I am, I promise you all my best. I hope you all forgive me if I make any mistakes and I will b able to do nothing without your support. So let’s cooperate and have a great year ahead."

The crowd started roaring out, "yeah" "we will rock" "sure" . Their enthusiasm made me feel fresh and happy.

Shukla Uncle came ahead, gave me thumbs up and introduced me to most of the main staff.

He then turned to the employees and told them to get to work.

"I have an appointment now. So Sahil will take the charge from here" he said and left me and Sahil.

Sahil guided me to my brand new office. Back home, Dad had made a common office for three of us. Sahil opened the door for me. There were two huge sofas and a LCD. Okay we weren't to my office yet. There was another door which led me to my office. The office was really spacious. There was a large table with an office chair and opposite to which there was space for four more chairs. A MacBook was placed on the table along with some stationery. But it wasn't crowded so I liked it. The wall behind the chair was nothing but glass. Since our office building was situated pretty much away from the busy city along with some other office buildings, the view from here was serene. I could even see a beach at a distance and the ocean. The first good thing that happened to me since I came to India was this.

"PERFECT " I said out.

But the day got even better when Sahil took me to the recreation room through a hidden door made of two way glass. It was a mirror from this side but transparent from the inside.

The recreation room made me feel home! There was a basketball net, a punching bag, LED with Xbox connection , iMac, a billiard table and loungers.

"Liked it Sir?" Sahil asked.

"Loved it!!"

It was amazing. Varun would get so jealous when I tell him about this! After all, Dad would never have allowed this at the office there!

We went back into my office and I sat on the comfortable black leather chair. I could work for hours sitting in an office like this! This also would be exactly what my father must have thought!

Sahil started briefing me, 

"Alright, today we don't have any meeting lined up. I have few reports ready and entered into the laptop. You can go through it."

He went on and on for fifteen minutes.

"... and we would end the day with the conference wherein all the managers will give you their annual reports."

He finally stopped.

"That's cool. I would go through it and we can start working on our new policies for our next financial year. And yeah. We also need new recruits."

"Yeah about that, we begin the interviews tomorrow, would you like to be a part of it?"

" I would definitely want to"

It was a great idea to be present at the interviews since I was looking for a fresh young team to work directly under me.

We discussed business for an hour more and Sahil left for his cabin. When he was at the door I called out , "Hey Sahil?"

"Yes sir?"

"Please call me Vivan .. Sir is a really big word" I winked at him.

"Umm.. Okay Sir.. I mean Vivan."

I chuckled and he left. He was a nice guy. I could definitely be comfortable working around with him.

Once I was alone in the office , I checked my blackberry before getting to the reports.  

There was a missed call from my brother and also a BBM stating "work done *thumbs up*" .

I called him. He picked up on the second ring 

"Hey bro!! Miss me huh??"

"Not even a bit!" I teased.

"Uh uh uh.. Be nice to me!! You know Mom has given the responsibility of finding you a new home to me right?"

"Oh yeah! Who else knows better about India than you do!?"

"True!!!! Now listen.. I have found the perfect place for you. But it's not easy to get, so Dad will have to take interest."

"Woah! What's so special about that place that our name isn't enough to get it huh?"

That was really strange. We talked for about an hour! I never knew I could talk to my brother so much. But yes , I guess the "home-sickness" was building in!

"Alright then. Take care bro!"

"You too Varun. Take care. And also look after Mom. I want to hear no complaints!"

"Yepp! And hey .. Candice called! Dude she might hunt you down to India!! She is so into you!!"

"Hell no!! Please get rid of her for me!!"

"I'm the son of a businessman! I don't do favors!!"

"Brat!"

"We all know who's a brat!"

"Fine! You can have my car! But!!! When I return, I want it the way I left It.!"

"I love u!! Haha.. Fine bye now!! I have to go hit on my brothers ex!"

"Byeeeee!"

I hung up. Varun has always wanted to drive my car but there was no way I let anyone touch my car in my presence! I and Vansh had our own cars but unfortunately, Varun was never on good terms with Dad, so he had to go around in the family cars. He never got to drive one.

I worked till it began to get dark. I was starting to bore now. So I retreated into the recreation room.

.... 

.... 

.... 

....

Keya's POV:

Krish and I were happy with ourselves. The meeting with Manya had been successful. We now were on our way to the local cafe where we usually went. In the car, we always hummed our favorite songs rather than turning on the radio. But I don't know why, Krish seemed very offbeat. He wasn't much interested. We just had a small conversation about how the city had changed since we left and that's all.

As we reached our destination, Krish parked the car and before I could get down he spoke, "Look Keya, we are here just to know him, and know what's exactly going on, not to set them up or something"

"I know Krish! What makes you think I would be so careless to do that?"

"Just telling.." and he got down from the car.

We went into the cafe. It hadn't changed much except for a few additions. I searched the place for that one person. At a table by the windows, I saw a dark-haired, tall guy who was staring out of the window intensely. He was it.

"There, that's Rajeev" I told Krish and walked towards his table.

...... 

......

Rajeev's POV :

I was gazing out of the window, there was a small family sitting in one of the outdoor tables.  

The couple was young and they had a lovely little daughter about a year old with them. They way the couple was looking at the daughter who was playing with the toys in her hand was adorable. Both of them smiled at each other and continued to play with their daughter.

A wave of jealousy flooded my mind. How badly did I want to have such a family of my own!  

Only if....

"Rajeev??" a feminine voice broke my thoughts.

"Keya!" I said on seeing the beautiful brunette in front of me. I rose from my seat to welcome her and the guy with her.

"Hey, I am Krish" he said.

We exchanged handshakes and settled down in our seats.

"It's really nice to meet you guys. Manya talks so much about you two. I've got something for the princess" I said handing out a box of chocolates to Keya.

Her face lit up. "Oh my goodness. That's so sweet of you." she couldn't stop smiling.

"My pleasure"

Keya looked at me in a kind of similar way Manya did. They both were trying to search Sameer in me. Manya hadn't found him yet and I don't even want her to. I want her to love me for what I am.

There was an awkward silence which was broken by the waitress. We ordered for cold coffees with ice cream and two sizzling brownies.

Once the waitress disappeared, Krish began to speak, " Alright so you know why we are here. Keya over heard you and Manya during the barbeque night and.."

Keya spoke before he could finish.." and we love Manya a lot.. We care for her.. We want to see her happy.. And even you know for that she has to move on. I could make out you have something for her but she.. " Keya stopped and looked away.

I just wanted to listen to these two before I could say anything.

"We are here for you and her.. We are here to support you if you need it.. We are here to try and think how we can work things out if they aren't working. We are here to understand what you got to say about how you feel.."  

Krish spoke.

Now I understood why Manya was so affectionate about these two.

They have the right to know what I am and how much Manya means to me. Maybe the ray of hope I had , would turn into a beam.

Before I could speak the same waitress returned with our orders and we sipped some coffee.

I then started to tell them about the last two years of my life which have changed my life forever .

"Manya and I met two years ago when she joined the office. I was her team leader. She was very hard working and always kept to herself. Three months later, we were assigned a project together. That was when I got to know her. 

Impressed by our work, our manager kept giving us more projects. We bonded over time.  

It was almost a year later I started having feelings for her. 

We both were promoted. We worked together less often but still met over lunch.. I knew she was single but she disclosed very less about her love life. 

A year ago, one day she missed office. She always informed me when she was taking a leave, but she hadn't that day. I got really worried.. No call, no text, no replies. Once office got over I rushed to her home immediately. Tanya answered the door, she knew me well. She said Manya was out and would be back anytime soon. So I waited there on their porch."

I took a pause because I realized I was talking since too long.  

Krish and Keya were looking at me, completely engrossed in my talks. They valued each and every word I spoke. 

"This is exactly the day which was last year.." Keya said and looked at Krish. 

There was something strange about these two. The way they conversed through their eyes. 

They sent real good vibes around.

"What happened then?"  

Krish asked curiously..

"I waited in the front porch.. With every second I was getting more curious, more uneasy. All I wanted was to see her. The time I sat there was also the time I was able to recollect all our days together. How she had fitted herself in my heart. I realized that all the care, all the worry, everything I had for her, was just because I loved her. Just that moment I set my mind that I will talk to her and confess my newly found feelings.  

It was 10:30 pm when her car pulled in the drive way..

******FLASHBACK******

One year ago..

Manya parked her car and she saw me when she got down. She seemed really tired and low. She was obviously confused to see me.

I stood up and went down the porch to greet her.  

She called out from a distance, "What are you doing here so late I am sorry I was busy but I was going to text you once I had got home.."

I quickly faced to her and holding her face I started bombarding her, "Where were you? You know I was so worried.. I care so much for you. How could you do this.? You should have answered my one call at least. What took u so long??!"

Though confused, Manya gave a smile and replied, " Take a chill Raj. I am fine. I was just having some lone time. Sorry dear.."

I relaxed a bit and let go my grip. I calmed myself and said, "Manya, I want to talk.."

She took a step back and stretched out her hand "come let’s take a walk.."

I took her hand and we moved out of the gate onto the lonely road. We held our hands and moved silently for a while. I could have walked a hundred miles like that with her by my side.  

"How was work?" she asked.

"Lonely.." I kept looking at her. 

"Don’t look at me like that.. Am Okay.. "

"Manya I need to talk.." 

She stopped.

We both were now facing each other. I took a lot of courage to do what I did next. I went on my knees and declared "I don't know how, when and why.! But I love you Manya Ahuwalia! I am madly in love with you.!! I have never felt so for anyone before.. This is love..! And I know am looking really stupid to propose ya at this hour in the middle of the road.! Shit! Am proposing.!!?"

I had lost control. I saw that  

Manya had frozen.."Not today.." she said to herself.

"Oh yeah that’s what I should get as a reply. I could have made it special.." I was all panicked.

Manya gained consciousness! "No no no.! This.. Rajeev.. You.. No.. I mean.. Uuughh!" she sighed.

She looked at the sky n said.."Get up first.. You want to know where I was today..? Then listen.."

I got up "No, its okay Manya.  

This is not what I want to listen.." I was serious "Manya do u?"

"Where I was today will answer your questions!!"

I got confused. She  

Continued, "I was at the beach.. In the sea cave.. It's at a nice altitude.. You can really enjoy some beautiful moments there..  

What I was doing there? Alone?  

I wasn't alone .. I was with my Sameer.."

"Sameer?" I asked softly..

"My boyfriend.. My mate.. My soul.. My everything.!!"  

She broke down. Crying.

My world just shattered. But why the hell was she crying??  

"Manya.. Why are you crying?? And .. And... Why didn't you tell me before??"

She furiously replied. "What do I tell you? That the person I love more than my own life is no longer in this world???!"

Shock! Was all I could feel.! I stood there still and Manya kept on crying.

*****End of Flashback*****

I was reliving the shock and amusement I went through that day a year ago. I saw that Keya had tears in her eyes while Krish consoled her. She wiped her tears. She had lost her brother after all.  

I told them what happened next. How 

I had apologized to Manya. She had said that she respected my feelings and still wanted to be friends. She had kept that decision to me.

"So since then you have just kept your feelings to yourself.? " asked Krish.

"Yes. That's what was decided. She said she needed loads of time to move on and that it would simply increase the tension between two of us if I kept on trying. So I myself decided that it’s better to keep things as they were. 

But I have never let down my hopes. She said she will take time. Not that she won't.."

Keya replied, "Yeah you are right but I guess it’s time you start trying hard. I mean how much are you going to wait? Her parents and all of us are worried for her.. She thinks she won't be happy with anyone else. But if she doesn't give it a try, how is she going to know..? " 

They were right.. I couldn't just sit and watch her still so lost in Sam's world. 

I need to do something. 

"Rajeev frankly speaking.." Krish grabbed my attention "we were here not to talk about forcing you on her.. We just wanted to know what happened in her life.. But now brother. I can say that we think Manya would be loads happier with you than anyone else.."

Keya smiled.. "Yes.. If my brother had to decide.. Even he would have chosen you for her.."

I never felt so good in a year. My hopes were high now. We spent ample of time talking about our lives. Both of them were really sweet and caring.

A call from my office interrupts us and it was a cue for me to leave,  

"Working with multinationals means working round the clock!" I let out a sigh. I put on a smile and continued, "It was great meeting you two. Now I know why Manya can't stop talking about you guys"

We got up from our seat and hugged each other goodbye. I walked out of the cafe, smiling.

......

Keya's POV:

We reached home at dinner time.  

"We are home" I loudly announced.

Mum was in the living room watching her prime time daily soaps. "Welcome home my darlings.. How was the day??"

I sat next to her and said "Tiring!!"

Krish took our bags and went upstairs while I told mum about the day's happenings. She was as happy as we were.

I went upstairs and took my turn for shower. Krish and I were way too tired to have any more conversation.

Dinner was slow too. I hardly ate whereas Krish ate two people's dinner. Gosh! How can he eat so much?

We were just leaving after dinner when Dad stopped us, "Wait. I need to talk to you guys."

Krish and I looked at each other and nodded. The serious tone of Dad's voice has always made me nervous.

"Not in my dining hall!" Mom glared at Dad "take this to the study"

We followed her. Krish was very unenthusiastic. He knew this would be regarding the job. We were behind dad when he gave out a yawn which annoyed dad.

"SIT DOWN" he said.

I gave Krish the 'don't mess with him' look.

Dad sat on the sofa across us and began, "Okay so, I hope you remember what I told you Krish. You will be working with the Rathod's.  

I've talked to Shukla. You are in the interview list. But Vivan won't know about it. You will have to impress him to get into his core committee. I can expect that much from you I suppose?"

Krish was quiet. Just few more seconds and I felt it would turn into a huge argument.

"Yes, Dad" Krish said and he abruptly left the room. I was surprised. He didn't put in any protest accept for his rude behavior.

"I apologize on his behalf Dad" I said on seeing him really disappointed.

"It’s alright Keya. Though he holds a double graduation, he yet doesn't realize what's good for him. Trust me, he is going to thank me for this soon."

I couldn't agree less. Dad always took the right decisions.

"So young lady? What are your plans."

"Umm .. I was going to talk to you about it soon. I guess I would be working more for the orphanage now. But, but I too want to do a job."

"You always surprise me Keya. You have this huge empire to yourself but you still not ready to take the powers in your hands?"

"Dad! Don't be crazy. Are you planning to retire or something???" I laughed.

"Not so soon.. Not until you two get married" he laughed back.

"Dad I was thinking I could work with the Rathod Group too."

He was shocked as expected.

"Actually I have always wanted to work at a hospital you know?"

"Oh yes!" he started to understand what I meant. "The new hospital that they are coming up with. Why did it not come to my mind earlier? You could be a great administrator."

I told him about my plans and he was happy about it.  

He immediately made some calls and as I asked him , he got me into the interviews as well.

"It’s getting late. Go get some sleep. I will tell the office boy to drop your portfolios by tomorrow morning. Tell this to Krish too."

"Yep"

We kissed each other good night and he left. He has always treated me like a princess. I know he did not want me to do a job but this is what I wanted to do. So, he would always be happy for me.

Krish was sitting on his bed with a photo frame in his hand. He was staring at it without even blinking.

I went and sat across him on the bed.

"Have never seen anyone more beautiful.. " I said with a smile looking at the photo.

"Nor will you.." 

Krish smiled back.

I was so amazed by the people around me. So much of love, commitment and devotion!

I was nauseated by love!

"Krish? You people sometimes confirm my decision of not falling in love..!"

"Oh really??? Then how you going to LEAVE ONE DAY!!!"

Huh? What was he saying? I thought for few seconds and he stared at me. Oh!! Now I get it!

"You are stuck with what I said back at the beach?" 

I couldn't stop laughing.

Krish frowned, "What? How could you say that. I mean.."

I spoke before he could complete, "yes you are MEAN..! And I said I won't fall in love but maybe I get into an arranged marriage and stay happily ever after. What’s the need of love.? I will get married. Earn to eat. Have kids. Retire. And live a peaceful life! Rather than doing what you people do!"

"Not funny Keya"

"Ya! Coz it’s serious"

"Whatever.."

"But am glad you understood my point.."

"What?"

"Like for a moment you did feel how it would be when I would leave this house. And I don't want you to feel that way...so please Krish.. Get a life"

"This is my life" Krish said and went back to the staring game with the photograph.

I didn't say anything further and went to my bed. I turned off my lights and said, "I love you Krish and I never want to leave you people. But that’s the way life works. Every girl has to start a new life after a certain age. Good night. Sleep well."

I looked at him and waited for his reply.

He finally replied, "I love you too.."

He hugged the photo and said "I will always love you Aarya."

I closed my eyes and went into a slumber.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

194K 11.4K 71
*status: completed* | Nia Subhash | A 16 year old teen who enjoys life as it comes. She has mother who loves her unconditionally. A father who hates...
151K 11.1K 60
Aarav thinks of himself as a daring and dashing dude but in reality he is a darpok (Coward) who is scared of the dark and even now he sleeps with bed...
19.9K 472 39
What if your internet crush becomes your present? This is a story of a girl named Ahana who is jovial and carefree. She is like a boy named Aryan. He...
45.7K 3.9K 63
• She was broken piece of glass while he had the glue that could mend it together. • Kiara is a girl that wanted to fall in love. Meet her soulmate b...