The Wolf Among Us (Completed)

By Van_Carley

Estera Montenegro grew up knowing one thing: she needs to be a wolf to survive. As an Enforcer in her commun... More

Prologue
Chapter 1 - Mercy
Chapter 2 - Carcass
Chapter 4 - Lightning
Chapter 5 - Calm
Chapter 6 - Celebration
Chapter 7 - Trades
Chapter 8 - Suspicion
Chapter 9 - Midnight
Chapter 10 - Guilt
Chapter 11 - Memorial
Chapter 12 - Confession
Chapter 13 - Battle
Chapter 14 - Power
Chapter 15 - Madre
Epilogue

Chapter 3 - Daybreak

1.1K 152 113
By Van_Carley

When Estera awoke, it was to the sight of Jupiter Juarez sitting at her side. The room was bathed in daylight, making the sterile white space glow in contrast with his brown skin and black garments. A breeze invaded the open window at her side, causing the gauzy curtains to float towards him. His rigid posture resembled a statue as he sat there with hands resting on his knees. And unlike her mother's hands, his didn't bear the same evidence of battles fought and won. What kind of man, what kind of leader, didn't fight for his people?

"My son tells me you're from the west," he stated without greeting. "Why did you leave?"

She scooted upright, giving herself time to remember what she said to Magnus. "I was attacked by someone in my village. So I ran away."

"Why would you run instead of report them?"

Thinking quickly, she replied, "He's kind of important. No one would've believed me."

"Important how?" He raised a brow.

"He..." Her thoughts raced like a stampede of little mice. How much did Jupiter know about the west? Taking a chance, she said, "He's a town council member."

"That's odd. Last I recall, the west has a voting system, not a council."

"When's the last time you've visited the west? Things have changed."

Jupiter nodded. "Fair point. A lot has changed over the years because of the Great War. Including here."

Estera studied his face as his eyes dropped to his hands, his brow tense. It was as if he was reliving a memory right there in front of her. Whatever it was created deep creases across his forehead. A warrior would never wear their emotions so openly. Maybe it was an angle she could use to her advantage?

"It changed me too. I lost my mother shortly after the war."

"I'm so sorry." Jupiter glanced back up.

"She passed away during childbirth." Estera pretended to wipe a tear.

"I'm sorry," he repeated, his brow still creased. "It's a tragedy when children have to grow up without a mother. Especially a daughter."

"Do you have daughters?"

"Unfortunately, no. I would've liked more children, but..." He looked away, sighing. "Like I said, the war changed us all."

"I'm sorry."

"Well, that's enough lament for today." He drummed his thighs. "Are you hungry? Think you can manage to limp to the Great Hall?"

"I can manage."

∆∆∆

As Jupiter guided Estera to breakfast, her eyes roamed the vicinity. There were lots of people—way more than she imagined the place being capable of housing, but the city wasn't as big as she initially thought. There was one main road which ran in a circle, and on either side were buildings of various heights, but no more than five levels. Rope bridges connected some of them, creating a walkway in the sky above smaller houses that were wedged like afterthoughts.

There was also a heavy security system.

Guards protected the entrance, but it wasn't just there. Through the alleyways, she could see them pacing the entire perimeter of the wall, protecting their city. Watchtowers stretched towards the sky every few feet on top of the wall, with antennas and reflective mirrors glinting in the overcast sky.

"You're quite the observer." Jupiter followed her gaze.

"I've never seen anything like this place."

"That's what I thought the first time I visited the west. Tell me something, do people in your community still build homes on the beach out of sand-bricks?"

"Yes."

"I always thought those were curious-looking, but my favorite is the tree houses amongst the redwoods. It's why I had these rope bridges added." He pointed up. "So people have multiple ways of getting around."

A thought crossed Estera's mind. What if there were hidden passages too? Ways to get in and out of the fortress unnoticed? Figuring that out would come in handy.

"And here we are." Jupiter motioned to the entrance of the Great Hall. Estera glanced over her shoulder, noticing how it faced the very gates she rode through. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." She shook her head. "I guess I was more disoriented yesterday than I thought. I don't remember seeing this when we drove in."

"Well, if you end up staying, I'm sure you'll get to know this place like the back of your hand."

They stepped forward and entered the Great Hall through the seven-foot-tall doors. Inside, rows of bench tables lined the walls with chandeliers above them made from iron. A citizen standing on stilts was hobbling along, replacing the melted candles on each one. Their dim glow provided just enough light for those who were still eating breakfast before going about the day.

As they made their way past the rows, Estera nodded to onlookers before their eyes could dart back to their meals. At the very end of the room was a long table with various trays of food.

"We serve everything buffet style, fresh from our farm," Jupiter explained. "You're free to grab whatever you want, just as long as you don't overindulge. It's a simple rule, but it's how we keep the balance, so everyone gets a fair portion."

"Thank you." She nodded and picked up a spoon to scoop eggs.

The trays were almost empty, but she could imagine just how full they must have been before. In the south, the meals weren't free. A citizen paid by how much they contributed to the community, and as an Enforcer, Estera rarely went hungry—unlike others. She paused before moving onto the next tray, and when she turned to speak to Jupiter, he was gone.

"Need some help?"

Snapping her gaze to the left, she saw Magnus standing there with a smile. "Hi..."

"Looks like you're struggling to balance your plate and scoop food with only one good arm."

"I can manage."

"How about I hold your plate? It's ok to ask for help," he said, taking it from her. "How are you feeling today?"

"Better than yesterday."

"Good. Any plans for when you're well?"

"I don't know, but your father made it sound as if I have a choice to stay."

"Do you want to?"

"I don't have anywhere else to go."

"You could head east. The community there is always in need of someone good with their hands."

"What do you mean?"

"You're used to working the earth. Which means you must know your herbs. Someone with your knowledge would make a great healer."

"I'm still not following." She quirked a brow.

"The east is known for its medicines and healing. They're big on invention. Lots of intellectuals live there."

"And what of the south?"

"Well..." Magnus leaned in, whispering, "They're savages, and trained to kill without mercy. So, I pray you never find yourself there."

"I see." She looked away and added a scoop of seasoned potatoes to her plate, wondering if he'd ever felt the weight of a sword in his hand? Or the rush of adrenaline from a fight? Probably not. He most likely had people who fought his battles for him.

"I'm honestly surprised by the lack of education you have about the territories. Do your people not provide learning centers?"

She set the spoon down with a clang. He wasn't a warrior, but he was definitely a detective, and becoming annoying. If he continued with his curiosity about her, then he'd figure out she wasn't from the west. Using her irritation to her advantage, she placed a hand on her hip. "You think I'm an imbecile. Don't you?"

"No." His jaw fell. "Not at all."

"Yet you question my education, and therefore question my intelligence."

"No. That's not-" he pinched the bridge of his nose, and tried again. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you. It came out wrong."

"Well, for your information, being motherless meant I had to grow up fast and help my father on his fishing boat. So, I didn't have time for studies."

"I... I'm sorry."

"It's fine." She looked away. He was too easy to fool, but her amusement was short-lived as an alarm began wailing in the Great Hall, forcing her to cover her ears.

"There's a storm coming. I must go," Magnus shouted over the noise.

"What?"

"I have to go, but whatever you do, don't go outside until I come back for you." He started jogging away, but paused. "Would you like to come with me?"

"Where?"

"You'll see. Just try to keep up!"

∆∆∆

It had been a brisk drive through town as Estera clung to Magnus's back while watching guards rush to their posts along the watchtowers. Thunder cracked across the mist-covered mountains—their grey clouds flowing like an avalanche. The lawnmower skidded to a halt in an alleyway, and Magnus jumped off in a dash towards a door. He used his jacket to cover their heads while punching in a code before he throwing it open. Taking her hand, he pulled her inside, and down a set of cement steps leading to a basement. At the very bottom, a young man stood there with a lantern illuminating his sharp nose, crooked jaw, and tattoos peeking out from his shirt collar

"Rafi, I'd like you to meet Estera," Magnus said.

"Ah, so you're the stray he picked up!" The man grinned, stretching his smooth tawny skin. "Pleasure to meet you, and welcome."

"Likewise."

"We should head on back," Magnus motioned for the dark hallway.

Turning a corner, light flickered across the walls, like fingers beckoning them forward, and after another turn, they found themselves in the Weather Room. TV screens covered an entire wall space to create one giant one, with images of clouds and terrain flashing across it. A few citizens sat at individual computers, their fingers drumming the keyboards as they tracked data, while a woman paced in front of the large screens, taking notes.

"What do you have for me, Mira?" Magnus approached.

"Clouds are moving in fast. The winds are now at sixty miles an hour."

"Good, so we've reached severe thunderstorm criteria."

"Yes." She pointed to the screen. "And we have crosswinds from the east. So, I anticipate Ribbon lightning, and you know how much I like that kind."

"I do..." Magnus drew a circle on the screen with his finger, and a red color appeared. Then he made another one over a dense collection of clouds, and a calculation appeared in the top right corner. "Looks like we have five, maybe seven minutes max before it gets here. Are Zemora's men ready?"

"Do you really have to ask?" Mira side-eyed him. "You know she keeps her crew in line."

"As do you." He squeezed her shoulder.

Something in Estera's belly twisted as she observed their body language. Mira was an attractive woman with wavy dark hair and skin as sun-drenched as her own, but those cat-like eyes of hers glowed, making her so much more beautiful. It was no wonder Magnus smiled every time he looked at the woman while discussing her notes quietly. Estera exhaled slowly.

"Mira!" one of the citizens called out. "Looks like the storm has officially arrived."

"That was quicker than we thought." She checked her pocket watch. "Well, I hand it over to you, Magnus."

"Alright." He clapped and rubbed his hands together. "Let's change the screens to a four-split. I want the top left to display radar, and the other three to show the towers with fifteen-second transitions. And Rafi, I need you to connect to Zemora's radio com. Make sure to keep the line on standby."

"Got it, boss!"

"We just had our first lighting strike!" someone called out.

"How close?" Magnus turned to them.

"Quarter of a mile. North-eastern side of the wall."

"We need it closer." Magnus paced in front of the screens. "If this storm shifts-"

"It won't." Mira placed her hand on his shoulder. "I did the math. It won't blow past us."

"You're right." He patted her knuckles.

"Ah!" a citizen cheered. "We got our first hit on the north wall. Tower five."

"And on tower three," shouted another.

"Yes!" Magnus clapped. "Give me a visual. I need a sweep of each tower."

The screens transitioned from four pannels to twenty, and on them, Estera saw a close up of each tower that sat on the bordering wall. She squinted her eyes, trying to figure out what the guards were doing as they pressed levers, and maneuvered dials while wearing the strangest uniforms.

"Wait a second..." Magnus pointed. "What's going on with tower two on the eastern side? Stop the transitions for now and give me a full screen."

The entire wall transformed into one big camera shot, with its sole focus on tower two. Estera watched on, and her brows only furrowed in confusion. Something was wrong, but she still had no clue what any of it meant, or why the storm mattered so much.

"Looks like it's the mirrors," Mira said, her eyes studying the screen. "They won't open. The chamber must be jammed."

"I've got Zemora on the radio." Rafi held out his headphones. "Somethings wrong."

"I need to get out there." Magnus spun around. "Tell her I'm on my way!"

"You can't." Mira latched onto his arm. "The storm has started. It's too dangerous."

"We can't maximize the amount of lightning we catch if one of our towers isn't functioning properly. You know that, and this is happening on my watch, so I need to take care of it!"

"At least put on a suit," she shouted after him as he rushed from the room. Shaking her head, she turned back to the screens. "Get me an aerial view. I need eyes on him."

The screens changed again, and Estera stepped closer with the light brightening her wide, searching eyes. Without realizing it, her hands were balled into tight fists as she watched Magnus run through the streets, dodging lightning strikes.

Maybe she underestimated him? Because he was definitely a warrior.

***
Thanks so much for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

647K 15.4K 27
Arianna Mitchell has always been the pack's most hated werewolf. Everyone picked on her, everyone hated her. Ever since her mother's accident, her fa...
3K 230 10
Magnus smith is so ready to get away from her small town in Colorado. She is thrilled when her mother announces they will be moving. Magnus, her mot...
42.9K 2.1K 44
Avyanna Johnson was always a lone wolf since birth. It also did not help that she grew up in isolation in the forest with her grandparents due to her...
1.3M 58.1K 43
All Julianna knew growing up was fighting and killing. Being a contract killer was the only thing she knew how to do. However being too good at one...