Kingdoms - Book 6 - The Frenc...

Por carolynannaish

Elliad's wicked schemes continue to play havoc in the lives of King Luke and Princess Jobyn, threatening the... Más

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight

Chapter Thirty-Six

53 6 23
Por carolynannaish

"Konrad is coming; Konrad is coming!" The horses' hooves seemed to be repeating these words to Jobyna.

She stood on the marble terrace in front of the great Jydanski Palace, waiting and watching. Luke supported her on one side and Uncle Dorai on the other.

Chezkovian soldiers on horseback rode under the huge archways, lining up in formation, holding their swords high in the air, forming a guard of honor for the monarch of Proburg, Prince Gustovas, and his son, the monarch of Reideaux, King Konrad. Czarevitch Kenrik stood with Maia on one side; Cynara, Ellice and Kedar at his other.

Maia wore an elaborate set of crown jewelry Kenrik had given her when their betrothal contract had been signed at the short ceremony the previous day. Kenrik had wasted no time in securing his future bride.

Soldiers in the brown uniforms of Proburg were now riding in, followed by the royal carriage from Landmari Castle and escorted by Reideaux guards.

Prince Gustovas stepped down first, followed by King Konrad. Jobyna saw his gaunt face and gasped involuntarily. Konrad wore his right arm in a sling. He was so thin, and his sun-tanned skin did not relieve the dark rings under his eyes. His eyes searched for one face and when the blue met the green, the wide smile breaking across his face transformed the weariness to joy.

"It's so good to see you, King Konrad." Jobyna gripped Luke's arm as she attempted a faltering curtsy.

After his official greeting of kissing the back of her hand and then each cheek, he rose to look into her face, saying, "You look so pale, my princess, you should have taken Doctor Sleven's advice, as I did, and recuperated while lying in the sun!"

Konrad bowed and spoke to Kenrik and Maia, "Congratulations to both of you."

"I'm sure you'll be making an announcement of your own very soon," Kenrik said to Konrad, "We'll be cousins, related by marriage." He laughed and sent a wink to Jobyna who blushed at the memory of her previous mistaken reasoning.

~~~~~

Ellice had been presented to King Willem of Strasland while he was resident at Jydanski. They had communicated at length before he returned home with his grandson, Grand Duke Louis. Ellice had written for King Willem, her real name, Celene, daughter of Baron Randall from the village of Ranard. The King of Strasland had informed her that Elliad and his men had wiped out the whole village of Ranard, including the manor house and he had left it to burn. The only survivors were a few women and children who had hidden in the woods. Ellice's father had been killed; her mother had died in childbirth some years ago. Ellice had suspected the loss of her home village as she had seen most of the carnage for herself. Elliad had brutally branded her at the same time he marked her father's horses, and he himself had rendered her mute then taken her to his castle at Valdemar in Frencolia. Her recovery from the trauma had been slow and Ellice had wanted only to die. After Elliad claimed the Frencolian throne, Ellice had been transferred to Kings Castle and had worked as a slave for Elliad's mistress, Ranee.

Luke told Jobyna that was as much as Ellice wished to reveal, except that her life had seemed meaningless until she met Jobyna.

King Willem invited 'Celene Randall' to return to Strasland with him and he promised her a position in his palace; or she would be free to seek out relatives and live with them if she wished. Luke, in turn, offered her a place in Frencberg at Kings Castle as a lady-in-waiting to his sister.

Luke urged Ellice to take time to consider, and not to make a hasty decision. "You are welcome in both countries, and you must realize that you are now free," he told her, adding, "Present your answer in writing when you have made your decision."

Ellice was encouraged to do as she pleased at the palace in Jydanski. She was told she was no longer to behave like a slave, but she stayed beside Jobyna's bed with unerring devotion. Forced to accept a bedroom of her own, Ellice trembled when chambermaids treated her as equal to Jobyna and Maia. Luke had encouraged her to sit down in his presence, and told her it was his wish and command that she accept she was no longer a slave. "You must consider yourself at the very least, a lady," Luke said.

Writing a letter to King Willem, Ellice thanked him for his kind offer but she wished to live with her friends in Frencolia. A second letter to King Luke Chatelain from her hand, stated she would accept his offer, and would be privileged to become one of Princess Jobyna's ladies-in-waiting. Strasland did not tempt her any more; she felt only strangers would be there now, after five years away. She would correspond with an uncle whom she had been told still lived, and she would inform him that she was taking up residence in Frencolia. 

Ellice requested that they call her by the name Jobyna gave her, 'Ellice,'—'Because,' the young woman wrote, 'I'll never forget when the princess gave me my name. She told me that she cared for me. She said that Ellice means 'Jehovah is God', and I'm glad to have a name which will bring praise to the God of the Gospel Book.'

Sharing the letter with Jobyna, Luke knew his sister was very happy with Ellice's devotion to her; their love and friendship were mutual. Maia was excited with the arrangement and talked to Cynara about Ellice.

Cynara turned out her wardrobe and filled trunks with beautiful clothes for Ellice. Maia and Cynara had Ellice parade the new dresses before them, seeking to make her comfortable in her new role.

Cynara felt strangely satisfied to give to Ellice —the first time in her life that the czarevna had delighted in someone less fortunate. She pulled out forgotten jewelry, ignoring Ellice's protests, adding daily to the new 'lady's' collection. Maia and Cynara made her wear a particularly becoming gown, styling her hair in the fashion of a princess, and decking her out with some of the new jewelry. They then presented her to Luke and Dorai.

"The Lady Ellice!" Maia led Ellice into the sitting room of the guest apartment. She took her through into Jobyna's bedroom and they giggled when Jobyna did not recognize her at first.

"You will be titled 'Lady Ellice' from this moment on!" Luke declared, "Your king has spoken!" he commanded, as he saw Ellice's look of doubt.

~~~~~

Jobyna walked, holding Konrad's arm. Her limp was barely noticeable, her head held high, and a smile of happiness played gently on her rose pink lips. Luke, Maia, Dorai and Ellice gazed with pride as she stood beside them in the Oval Crown Room. This moment had been rehearsed over the past few days.

All eyes were upon the entrance doors, held open by emirs. All around the crown room, standing like silent, solid, statues, were three thousand noblemen with their wives, dressed in suits and gowns of all colors, sparkling with jewels of all descriptions. They stood upon long platforms, three tiers high, their eager faces turned towards the door, waiting for the music to sound out the entrance of the Czarevitch Kenrik, to be crowned in a few moments, Czar of Chezkovia.

Instruments blared out the triumphant sound, and Kenrik strode through the doors. Kedar followed, bearing the crown cushioned on red velvet. Cynara walked behind. Kedar would become 'Czarevitch Kedar' today. He stood beside Jobyna with Cynara at his side.

Kenrik sat on the Throne.

Jobyna's trembling hands took the cushion from Kedar. This had been Kenrik's request, a public declaration of her part in rescuing the crown from the deceiver.        

She carried the crown to Emir Weikol who extended it up in the air, held by both hands, speaking rehearsed words to those present.

Jobyna returned to her place. On completion of his long speech, the emir knelt in front of Kenrik for some moments then stood and placed the crown on his head, pronouncing him, 'His Supreme Majesty, Czar Kenrik, Czar of the Czardom of Chezkovia."

Dorai, Luke and Jobyna all found it difficult to imagine that one day Maia would sit on the throne beside Kenrik, as Czarina Maia of Chezkovia.

Czar Kenrik rose and motioned for Kedar to come before him. Kedar knelt whilst Kenrik pronounced him: "His Imperial Highness, Czarevitch Kedar." The new czar stated his brother would receive the ring to the czardom when he turned sixteen.

Speeches were long and involved, and Luke and Jobyna, unbeknown to each other, decided they must learn this language for future communications. Kenrik was commissioning a tutor to teach Maia German, and they vowed to find the time to sit in on the sessions.

It was no great surprise when Luke and Jobyna conferred on the matter later and found they had both been thinking the same thoughts.

Czar Kenrik led the way up the staircase and out on to the balcony overlooking the palace courtyard. Trumpets triumphantly sounded as he walked into view of the thousands below who cheered, applauded and waved with thunderous enthusiasm.    
Kedar and Cynara stood on one side and the cheers grew louder as Maia took Kenrik's outstretched hand and stood at his side, followed by Konrad, Jobyna, Luke, Dorai, Prince Gustovas and twenty emirs.

"Four Kingdoms are united here today, Jobyna," Konrad whispered in her ear, "Chezkovia, Proburg, Reideaux and Frencolia."

Beyond the palace, the great sprawling metropolis of Jydanski lay glistening in the overhead morning sun. Hundreds of reflections played off the domes and spires, making a parade of sparkling hues and fantasies. All the castles and palaces in the world seemed to be represented in the panorama below, and the mass of people waving and cheering appeared to be animated decorations on a bedazzling spectacle. They clung to battlements and pillars; sat on walls and fences; leaned out of windows; and were crowded on balconies. Red and white uniforms lined the arched clerestories, flanked by brown, blue, and green —it was a sight never to be forgotten!

The feast that followed lasted a week. Huge oxen stuffed with game and poultry were carried into the banquet hall, placed on massive tables for carving, followed by numerous cooked white swans, presented on silver platters, complete with a mock cloak sewn with fresh feathers and stuffed neck and head, appearing as though floating upon a silver lake. When they lifted the 'costume' from the swan, cooked tender meat was revealed beneath. Hundreds of dishes and delicacies were served up amidst music and singing.

A fountain of wine flowed freely for all to help themselves. Music, entertainment, dancing: Konrad, Jobyna and Luke, shadowed by Moritz and Vincenz, sought the contrasting tranquility of the garden to stroll, talk and pass the time.

"I'll never be able to eat another thing!" Jobyna declared dramatically as she sat on a garden seat. "How will we last out the wedding banquet? Cynara told me that Kenrik is planning a feast to last a month!"

"The wedding won't be for two years, and I'm sure you'll have recovered by then." Luke said, leaning over the back of the seat.

"We'll have our wedding before Maia's," Konrad reminded her as he sat beside her, taking her small hand in his, "The question is, how soon, my love?"

"Our feast will be short, I hope; two days is enough," Jobyna said, not answering his question, looking to see Konrad's reaction. "To me, it seems it becomes an excuse for some, and I said, some, to display gluttony and drunkenness. I hope our wedding feast can have meaning to it, more purpose..." She turned as someone approached, and rose quickly, to curtsy to Konrad's father.

"Your absence is noticed!" Prince Gustovas said, ignoring Jobyna's words. He took her hand in his, "You're as beautiful as ever, Princess. You need to allow Kenrik's guests look at your fairness." He drew her with him, but not before she had caught Konrad's frown of disapproval.

Gustovas said, fervently, "We hope you have a long wedding feast that will last as long as the guests can stay!" He turned to Konrad who was now right beside them, "When are you planning to announce your betrothal, Son?"

"When the feasting is over, we plan to return with you to Proburg, Father, and you shall announce the betrothal there; but I'm planning to go to Frencolia for the ceremony." Konrad walked beside Prince Gustovas as they returned to the banquet hall. "We'll travel with King Luke, Prince Dorai and Princess Maia."

Prince Gustovas turned to his son, "That will be an honor, Son. Your Mother will like that. Maybe we'll travel with you to Frencolia; it would be good for her to have something else to consider..."

Luke knew the monarch of Proburg was thinking of his sons, Gustav and Warford. Konrad had told him of the morbid funeral procession, the extreme sadness of the family, the grief, hopelessness and emptiness he sensed in the widows and children.

"Without faith," Konrad later said to Luke, "where does comfort come from? The Lord God is the source of all comfort, and one who goes through grief with faith is able to comfort another when it is their turn to suffer sorrow."

Konrad had been well enough to travel in a carriage, to sit for the brief ceremony, and to pray with his family at the tomb. Prince Gustovas had traveled to Jydanski with Konrad for Kenrik's coronation, to escape from realities he did not want to face. Many of his trusted, loyal friends and counselors had been killed at Elliad's orders. He realized also, Konrad's life had been hanging on a thin thread when Elliad decided to keep him alive. The Proburg Monarch now appreciated his youngest son in a way he had never imagined was possible.

~~~~~

The Czar of Chezkovia, his sister Czarevna Cynara and brother Czarevitch Kedar, all accompanied the Frencolian-bound group to the Proburg capital, Landmari.    

Jobyna, Maia and Ellice journeyed with Cynara in the royal carriage. The men traveled on horseback. Jobyna was concerned about Konrad but he discounted her fears, stating he needed the fresh air and exercise to work off some of the food he had eaten over the past ten days. Prince Gustovas rode beside his son, proud to hear the cheers and calls of support.

Cynara and Maia, now inseparable, chatted ceaselessly, and Jobyna listened contentedly. Cynara verbally designed Maia's wedding dress and promised she would send the fabric to make it. Kenrik wanted Maia to wear a certain shade of pale green and Jobyna was amused to think of such things being decided with two years to wait. Konrad had not decided how long their betrothal would be, but secretly, she hoped it would not be long at all.

Kenrik had presented the stolen treasures of Frencolia to Luke and these were carefully loaded on carts to be sent, securely escorted, back to the vaults of Kings Castle in Frencberg. Luke and his uncle sorted through some of the more unique treasures and offered Kenrik free choice for Maia's dowry. Once his selection was complete, Konrad and Jobyna chose a few things they could use in Kelsey Castle at Reideaux. Konrad's kingdom was poor, and he decided to take a chest of gold coin bullion that he would mint for special distribution after their wedding.

When they reached the Proburg border, Jobyna and Ellice transferred to the Proburg royal carriage to sit with Prince Gustovas and Konrad. Still weak, Konrad had tired of the ride and was content to sit the rest of the way in the carriage. It also gave him an opportunity to talk with his love, a precious time, though his father was listening and absorbing everything they said.

Prince Gustovas kept silent, even when he felt disturbed with their serious discussion. They took life too seriously, and talked of concepts that were better forgotten in a drink of wine, he thought. He knew enough about Konrad to know he had a mind of his own. Prince Gustovas remembered the time he had the unrepentant Konrad whipped for quoting a verse from the Gospel Book at him.  The Monarch had yelled at his son, "There is no God!"

Konrad had quoted quietly, "The Gospel Book says in Psalms 14:1, 'The fool has said in his heart, there is no God!'"

Gustovas had not tolerated his son suggesting that he, the supreme monarch of Proburg, was a fool, even if it were by quoted words. The prince smiled to himself, to think he had told Kenrik, at the Baltic Castle, "I'm an old fool!" Life had a way of turning the tide on the claims one made.

"Next Spring —that will give us about seven months betrothal. What do you say to that, Father?" Konrad waited briefly for an answer but his father was involved with thoughts of his own. "If we waited until May, we could be married on your birthday, Jobyna!"

"Yes, I'd like that, or in April when my real birthday falls. Let's see what Luke says." Jobyna was happy. How suddenly her life had changed. Ahead was only happiness and sunshine, she was sure. She frowned. Hadn't she told herself such things before? Yes! When she had returned to Frencolia, she had thought she would remain there for the rest of her life, safe and happy. Was life ever only brightness and sunshine? No! That would be wrong; without precipitations, there would be desert and in the desert there was no growth, no life. "What is it? What makes you sad?" Konrad saw her frown, and had noted her silence.

"I was thinking of all the happiness ahead, wishing for only blessings, for no trials or sorrows but we can't grow without thirst-quenching rainfall upon the dry soil of our laughter and joy." Jobyna lifted her long eyelashes to look at Konrad, "So we must pray for strength from God to help us turn trials into joys. I've struggled to do this and at times the trials overcame me. Kedar's courage and faith put me to shame!"

Konrad lifted his arm around her shoulders. "You've had more than your share of trials, my love. The main thing is to keep on keeping on, to continue believing, not to give up, whatever life brings along. And I shall be there, beside you, all the way!"

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

157K 7K 95
In order to save, her kingdom she must attend the contest. In order to rule, he must choose a wife. All Ellora wants is to stay home. Be on the Islan...
1.8K 171 25
Terror again affects Jobyna as she opens her betrothal gifts... Chaos erupts in the Frencolian throne room. Do inter-kingdom matters have to be reso...
12.1K 1.2K 145
This is the sequel to the Locatlie series. To be able to understand this story, you will have to read the seven books of the Locatlie series first. T...