Kingdoms - Book 6 - The Frenc...

Από carolynannaish

Elliad's wicked schemes continue to play havoc in the lives of King Luke and Princess Jobyn, threatening the... Περισσότερα

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight

Chapter Thirty-Five

37 6 6
Από carolynannaish

Jobyna couldn't believe how wonderful it felt to be soaking in a warm bath, right up to her neck in the fragrant, steamy water.

She sighed and closed her eyes. Even her swollen knee, her sprained ankle and bruised arms felt relieved. She would have fallen asleep if it wasn't for Maia's constant questions and girlish chatter. Maia sat on the edge of the tub, pushing the foam around, explaining the sequence of events since her cousin had left the Baltic Castle dining hall on that foreboding morning just after dawn.

They had been resident at the palace for almost two weeks and Maia described the enshrinement of the late Czar Kievik on the previous day —"The streets were lined with thousands of people, I've never seen so many in all my life! They were weeping for Czar Kievik and at the same time cheering Kenrik." 

Maia stopped and sighed, trying to keep a mountain of foam on her palm, blowing the bubbles back into the bath. "It's been so hard for the czarevitch." She sounded grown-up, motherly. "I do wish you could've been there, Jobyna. He never stops asking about you! He's so sorry that you can't dine with him yet. He's eager for you to be at his coronation next week: he said something about a special arrangement..."

As though she spoke out of turn, Maia blushed and looked away. Jobyna questioned her cousin, but Maia became tight-lipped, causing the older girl a measure of apprehension. 

~~~~~

Doctor Ruprecht's assistant brought Jobyna a pair of crutches and encouraged her to use them. 

Luke was pleased to view her progress and enthusiastic when Ruprecht said she could go to the palace dining room for dinner tomorrow. 

Jobyna knew her brother enough to sense there was something he wished to discuss with her but was restraining himself. Again, she couldn't shake off her apprehension.

The view from the apartment was exquisite. Jobyna's eyes feasted on a man-made lake with fountains playing, encircled by graceful swans and ducks. Beautifully formed statues, colorful shrubs and flowers, all brought a sense of peace and wellbeing.

Jobyna had been visiting the library adjacent to their quarters and she enjoyed reading from the extensive selection in Frenc. All the books there were in her native tongue, making her wonder if they had been placed there just for her. 

Ellice and a servant named Thirza sat reading with the princess in the library. "It's time for me to have the bath prepared," Thirza said as she rose. "Come along in about half an hour, Princess. Ellice will make sure your gown is ready."

The day was cloudy and a little cooler, and as Ellice moved off, Jobyna took her book out on to the balcony, hoping to catch the warmth of the sun on her arms. The welcome orb came out and Jobyna soon became too hot. Shuffling back through the doors still sitting on the floor in the light, she moved behind the voluminous purple velvet drapes into the shade. Feeling sleepy, she closed her eyes. The door opened and she heard her uncle's voice.

"Just a few seconds' privacy, Son." Dorai's eyes circled the small room, "We simply must make a decision on this matter!"

Jobyna heard Luke's voice and was just about to reveal her presence when she heard her name...

"I still feel we should include Jobyna in our discussions, Uncle. She seems so much better..."

Jobyna's words froze in her throat.

"No, Son, we mustn't upset her. Doctor Ruprecht said she must be kept free from all anxiety. Besides, it's not for Jobyna to decide." Dorai sat on the couch while Jobyna recoiled, wanting to shrink while wondering whether to speak up —or not...

Uncle Dorai continued his statements, "For the sake of Frencolia we must decide to go ahead with the betrothal. It's an honor that Kenrik, soon to be crowned the czar of Chezkovia, wants to marry a Frencolian. It will bind our countries together and cement our security."

"Are you sure you feel that way, uncle? Kenrik is quite a few years older..."

"Age is nothing, Son. I'm twelve years older than Minette and we were not encumbered with the difference. Such an age difference can be an advantage. I think we should give Kenrik our answer. His impatience to settle the matter is becoming embarrassing!" Dorai slapped the back of the couch with his hand and stood decisively to his feet. "How could we dare to say no?" He laughed as though at a diabolical joke.

"You're so right, Uncle! We must think of the alliance such a marriage will promote. Chezkovia has never been friendly to Frencolia and this union will make all the difference." Luke stood while still talking, "I am sure Jobyna will understand when we explain. Anyway, it won't be for a couple of years, we'll have plenty of time back in Frencolia together. Minette will want that too, won't she? —I know I will."

Jobyna heard the door open and the men continued to talk as they walked away. She was sure her conclusions from their conversation were wrong and tried to reconstruct their dialogue. Who did Kenrik want to marry? Why did they not want to tell her? Why would she be upset? Surely they would not —they could not— Jobyna dared not think. She pulled herself up and leaned on the crutches, watching the fountains spraying mist high into the air, seeing yet not beholding.

Kenrik's words invaded her thoughts; You can never depend on people, even when you think you know them. Her eyes traveled the palace gardens then she withdrew into the library. Who could she turn to? To whom could she talk? What thoughts did Luke and Uncle Dorai have about Konrad now? Hadn't they been eager for her to be betrothed to him some weeks ago? Not just eager —she thought, they were plain pushy! Is a woman just something to dispose of in the way men folk think convenient?

Jobyna shuddered. She recalled their words: "For the sake of Frencolia," and, "I'm sure Jobyna will understand." Frencolia was more important to them than she was! Of course, Frencolia is more important, she thought, with bitterness. I was bait, too, for Frencolia...

Ellice and Thirza entered the library just as Jobyna was wishing she could escape and flee to Konrad; to anywhere but this palace...

"We're ready for you, Princess..." Thirza stopped the sentence as Jobyna turned away with tears glistening on her cheeks, "Your Highness, what is wrong?" Thirza came closer, "Are you in pain?"

Shaking her head, Jobyna swayed and the concerned pair tried to help her to the couch. "I'll be all right. Let's go back to the room." Jobyna kept her clutch on the crutches, gripping them with both hands, moving determinedly to her quarters just along the hallway. She didn't want Luke to find her in the library! The way she felt, she hoped Luke would never find her again! 

She wondered when Luke was planning to break the news to her, how long would it be before the world knew she was promised to Kenrik?

"Help me into the bath," she commanded Ellice as in a daze, thinking of the imposing man who was to be the czar of Chezkovia. Kenrik was not such an ogre, not at all... but she loved Konrad. Dear kind, sweet Konrad. She realized, with a surge of tears, just how much she loved him. His curly golden hair and warm blue eyes came to her mind and she closed her eyes, succumbing to the relaxation of fragrant waters wrapping her body. She wept.

"Princess, are you sure you are all right?" Thirza's words broke into her thoughts. "I think I should send for Doctor Ruprecht."

"No, Thirza, don't! I'll feel better after the bath," Jobyna pleaded. "Wash my hair please."

Maia entered the bathroom, bubbling over with enthusiasm. She watched as Jobyna, wrapped in a velvet robe, had her hair toweled dry. "You're going to sit by the czarevitch at the banquet tonight, Jobyna. He tells everyone that it's because of you he has the crown!" These words confirmed Jobyna's thoughts of dread.

The younger girl sighed, "Just imagine what it would be like to be the czarina! It's unbelievable!" Maia's words made Jobyna realize that the matter had been discussed with her cousin, maybe by Dorai, maybe even by her brother.

It was true! She did not know these people at all, so how could she depend on any of them? They would consign her to another country without even consulting her. She felt bitter, disillusioned and coldly aloof from reality.

This isn't really happening, she told herself. Grabbing the loose blue gown, she pulled it on and went to the bedroom, assisted by Ellice. Thirza protested, saying, "You are expected to dine with the czarevitch, Princess!" Heedless of the murmuring women in the apartment, Jobyna submitted to a torrent of hopeless, self-indulging tears, and ignored Maia's compassionate attempts to comfort her. Thirza sent for Doctor Ruprecht.

"I can't find anything physically wrong. Her knee is mending, as is her ankle." Doctor Ruprecht tendered his diagnosis to Luke and Dorai who had been summoned by the anxious Maia. All questions asked by the doctor had been answered in tears, not words, by the patient.

"The Princess is suffering from delayed shock. She's not as strong as I thought and needs complete rest and quiet for a while longer."

Luke sat by the bedside and listened helplessly to Jobyna's sobs. Her head was turned away from him.

"Talk to me, Jobyna. Let me help you." He took the chair around the other side of the bed, stroking her forehead.

She cringed and moaned, saying, "Please go to dinner. I just want to be left alone." Jobyna pulled the cover over her head.

"It's not time yet. I'll sit with you." Luke turned to Maia, "Fetch me the Gospel Book please Maia."

To Luke's surprise, Jobyna sobbed, "I don't want you to read to me, Luke. Go away and leave me alone."

The brother ignored her and read from the book in spite of her tears and protests. As he hoped, she became quiet and he continued reading through the Gospel story.

Jobyna's mind kept up a depressing condemnation of her brother, How could he? —How could he! I could hate him!

Maia and her father went to dinner. Jobyna heard Kenrik's name mentioned and realized he must have entered the room. She turned her face away from the door, closing her eyes, hoping he would not come any closer. Standing, Luke stepped out into the sitting room with the czarevitch. The brother returned after a few moments.

"Don't miss the dinner, Luke. Please go," Jobyna pleaded.

Luke viewed his sister with compassion. Her eyes were sunk in dark rings, her face red from crying. He sat on the side of the bed and took her to his chest where she sobbed uncontrollably. The nearness of this beloved brother filled her with the desire to please him, to do whatever he asked of her. But she dared not talk to him about Kenrik; he would tell her she was 'ornery'. As king, Luke had to arrange affairs in the way he felt best for Frencolia. He would talk to her about it when he was ready, but she hoped the moment would never come.

Jobyna had strange nightmares as she dozed. Scenes of Kenrik and Konrad sword fighting over her; Elliad's body-less head floating between the two men, Luke pushing her towards a throne where Kenrik sat; such vivid pictures made her sit up suddenly in bed. A silent scream kept struggling to the surface. 

Luke remained by her bedside, reading to her while she tossed and turned. He was reminded of times when their father would sit and read to Jobyna. Dreadful nightmares had been experienced by his sister who had been affected by the plague, yet had recovered, four years ago. She would wake, wet with perspiration, crying and delirious, unable to be comforted apart from the words from the book. Jobyna now appeared beyond all comfort and Luke prayed silently for her.

Later in the evening, he read the part in the Gospel story, the betrayal and crucifixion of Christ. Luke had almost skipped this part, due to the gruesome nature of the reading, but Jobyna opened her eyes, listening and absorbing the details. She remembered how the disciple Judas had betrayed God's Son, how Jesus' friends forsook Him, how Peter denied Him. He was falsely accused and whipped, ridiculed and scorned; and finally, while nailed to the cross, He cried to His Father in Heaven who had forsaken Him because of the load of human sin that He bore.

Luke read of the resurrection; the stone was rolled away from the tomb, and the Savior had risen from the dead...

"Read it again, please Luke," she whispered. "From the garden where he prayed, then he was betrayed..." She closed her eyes, listening; feeling betrayed, forsaken, yet knowing her grief was not worthy of comparison.

It isn't all that bad. Luke does love me, she told herself, praying silently, Oh, Lord, how could I have forgotten? When will I ever learn that You will never forsake me? Jesus took my place! Even if everyone turns against me, You never will! What on earth do I have to be so bitter about? When will I learn that this life is NOT all about me?

She emitted an audible sob, praying in her heart, Please, Lord, help me to be able to pray —Thy will be done— when you know I love Konrad.

Luke, on completion of reading the Gospel, was pleased to note that his sister was resting peacefully. Jobyna did not stir when Dorai and Maia came in, the latter whispering to Luke. They were pleased to see Jobyna sleeping. Then her uncle's voice deep brought Jobyna to consciousness, but she lay still with her eyes shut as the remembrance of her predicament flooded her mind.

"It's late, Maia, you must go to bed. Your mother would have a fit to know you were up until midnight." Prince Dorai kissed Maia.

"Luke, come out in the light and look at the ring Kenrik gave me," Maia whispered, looking over at Jobyna who was motionless, "He made the announcement of our betrothal tonight; he told Father that he would wait no longer."

"How do you feel about it, Maia?" Luke kissed her cheek, placing his arm around her shoulder, drawing her into the lounge where the chambermaids waited to take Maia to her room.

"Wonderful! I can scarcely believe it is really happening to me! He is so... so wonderful, Luke! I know we'll be happy." She held her hand up to show Luke the massive diamond set into the golden ring on her finger.

Jobyna experienced all manner of emotions surging over her simultaneously! There was anger at herself for jumping to wrong conclusions. There was frustration at Luke for having hidden such news from her thus helping cause her confusion. There was concern because Kenrik had chosen such a dear child as Maia. Thankfulness towards the doctor because he had not pried further to discover the cause of her selfish tears.

Jobyna felt so glad that no one had guessed the real reason for her grief. She also felt so embarrassed with herself! Most of all, she was truly delighted that it was Maia, not herself, that Dorai and Luke had been discussing in the library! Relief —oh, the incredible, humiliating —relief!

~~~~~

Luke returned to find Jobyna wide-awake, sitting up, sipping juice. Her face was still puffy and eyes red, but she was smiling!

She blurted, "Tell me about Maia and Kenrik, please, Luke." Jobyna was determined to learn the truth. At Luke's look of surprise, she explained, "I heard Maia talking about a ring... tell me... tell me all of it!"

Jobyna decided to keep her previous feelings a secret for now. Luke kept the news a secret from me— she thought. If I had attended the dinner, I'd have heard the announcement for myself! How strange life is, twisting and turning as it does. It's true, I'd have been ornery about Maia's betrothal to Kenrik; it is just as well the decision was made before I could give my negative opinion.

Jobyna felt like a reprimanded child. Maybe she would tell Konrad about it one day and they would laugh together!

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

Locatlie: The Lie. (Book 5) Από AnnieV

Μυστήριο / Τρόμου/ Θρίλερ

5.7K 415 25
This is the fifth book of the Locatlie series. Julia wakes up in a new world without her three kings. King William, King Hugo and King Trevor have b...
70.3K 989 51
This story is about adventure, love, violence, sex, death and betrayal There was a beautiful Princess who lived in a beautiful kingdom with her fathe...
1.1M 26.1K 22
"I will chain you up and keep you in my bedroom forever. The only one who you will ever love is me. You are mine Ella and nobody, not even God can ch...