Unbreakable Currents

By jackdeanna

With a less than desirable past, Abby is relieved when she is promoted to Property Manager and must move hund... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Epilogue

Chapter 24

42 4 0
By jackdeanna

The sun rose quickly, and I wanted nothing more than to go back to bed. I was exhausted from the Nick drama and happy to have some space from him.

I had successfully avoided him the whole flight, putting my headphones on and tuning everything out. He didn't seem to care much, and I knew neither of us was backing down. We were both stubborn and it was one thing we had in common.

It was Friday and since I had missed most of the week I did need to go to into the office and square away a few things before the weekend.

"Hey, welcome back!" Natalie was waiting for me at the front desk when I arrived.

"Hey, how's it been? Anything I need to know about?"

"Nope, it's been pretty smooth sailing."

"Good. I'm going to get to it, I've got a lot to do."

I went to my office and started sorting through my emails. I had one from Sally telling me to call her ASAP.

I wonder what's so urgent.

"Abby, how was the trip? Sorry I didn't call it's been crazy over here trying to input all this new information in the system for the Florence property. I don't know if they told you but the inspection went great and we close next week." Sally's tone was frazzled.

"No, they didn't tell me. It did go well, though. Nick said he saw a really good return on his investment with it."

"Adam was really impressed with you and how much organizing you did in just one day."

"It still needs a few tweaks but I think it will give the new manager a good starting point."

"Well, that's why I wanted to talk. Like I said, Adam was very pleased with your work and he made a crazy suggestion but I wanted to run it by you. How would you like to be the manager in Florence? I know you've only been at Gulf Breeze for about three weeks but the property up there could really use your expertise. Gulf Breeze is running pretty smooth now, thanks to you."

"Wait, you want me to move?" This all seemed to be happening pretty fast.

"I just know you mentioned the community wasn't far from home and I know you and your family are close so I just wanted to throw the offer out there. If I had known about the property before transferring you to Gulf Breeze I would have let you choose."

"I appreciate you thinking of me and I love that Adam thinks I did a great job, but I'm going to have to think about."

"Not a problem. We can hold off for a few days so take some time to weigh the pros and cons and let me know."

"Will do."

"Thanks, Abby. I will talk to you later. Have a good day."

"You too. Bye." I hung up the phone in a state of shock and confusion.

I had no idea what to do. I loved Gulf Breeze but it was over seven hundred miles away from my family and it did get lonely. I loved my staff here and living at the beach. Then there was Nick. Although he shouldn't even be in the equation, I couldn't deny that I was in love with him. Even though we weren't on speaking terms right now I hoped we could get past this and someday be together.

                                    **********************************

I spent the rest of the day hidden in my office trying to stay busy in between making a list of pros and cons for staying at Gulf Breeze. I went through a notebook of paper before I gave up on my list on reasons to stay or go. There was an equal amount of good and bad and it was getting me no closer to making a decision.

I finally left my office at the end of the day.

"Are you okay?" Natalie looked worried.

"Yeah, I just have a lot on my mind. Do you want to come over tonight and have a few drinks? There is something I need to run by you."

"Sure, I can come by in about an hour. Are you sure everything is okay?"

"It will be someday."

I waved goodbye to Melanie and Sabrina and made my way to my condo. I put on comfortable clothes and located the wine in my fridge. I didn't bother with getting a glass; I took a drink straight from the bottle.

A short time later Natalie was knocking at the door and I was already feeling tipsy. She walked in and shot me a concerned look when she saw me sipping from the bottle.

"Okay, seriously. Talk." She took the wine from my hand and poured what was left into two glasses. We stepped outside on the patio and she stared at me.

"I've had a shit couple of days." My tone was weary and my head was fogged.

"Obviously. Didn't you have fun with your mom?"

"Tons and I hated to leave but Nick stayed at my house with me. Nothing happened but he wants to be with me and wanted me to open up about my PCOS. Of course, he wouldn't open up back or even explain why he is so nuts and moody."

"But he didn't run for the hills when you told him? Isn't that what you wanted?"

"It is but I want him to open up too so I have a little insight into what goes on in his mind and why he is so in control and freaks out a lot. He pretty much refused."

"So what happened today? Did you guys get into another argument?"

"No. When I was in Florence the owner of Union really liked how well I did organizing the office and he suggested to Sally that since this place is running smoothly they could use someone like me up there to get the place together."

"Wait. They want you to move again already and leave us?" Natalie was just as stunned with the proposition as I had been earlier.

"She told me to take a few days and think about it. I've been trying to weigh my options. I love it here and I love you guys."

"And Nick. You love Nick."

"He makes me so mad but yeah. I assumed we would make up eventually but not if I'm in Cincinnati. But I do miss my mom."

"I can't tell you what to do but here's what I can say. You left for a reason and you've only been here three weeks. I think you need to give it longer. They may buy something down the road and then at that point see where you are at in life. I love having you here and I would miss you tons if you left."

"What about Nick?"

"Well, that's tricky. Relationships are complicated and I think the reason you're having a hard time with it is because you want everything to be perfect. But there's no such thing. You're in deep and I know you wanted to avoid love and all that but it's here and it's not easy. The one thing you wanted, you got. He still wants to be with you. You guys will learn more about each other with time. And honestly, you're miserable without him and I know he loves you."

"How do you know he loves me?"

"The card."

"What?"

"The card on the flowers he sent you Monday. I know we weren't supposed to tell you but to sum it up he wrote he was sorry about a million times and then at the end he wrote 'I love you.'"

"Oh god. He never mentioned it when I saw him." I perked up and felt a tear forming in my eyes.

"He probably knew you didn't read it. We sealed it back shut in the envelope. Sorry about that."

"Does that really change anything between us?" I wanted her to give me all the answers because my emotions were all over the place.

"Yes, Abby, goodness you're stubborn. You both love each other and love is work. But it can be the best thing you've ever experienced and when two people love each other you can get through anything."

"I don't know if I believe that. You've been in love I take it."

"I was in love with a guy I dated for a year when we first moved here. He was great but he was going off to school to get his Masters in Tennessee and I couldn't ask him to stay."

"Don't you regret it?"

"Yes, most days, but we still talk sometimes and he is doing great. Looking back it all seemed so complicated and at the time I thought it was the right thing to do. I didn't follow my heart."

"So you're telling me to follow my heart?"

"Exactly. I think if you don't you will regret it one day."

"What about my mother?"

"What made you okay with leaving her the first time?"

"I knew deep down she wanted me to follow my dreams and listen to the feeling in my gut."

"What is your gut telling you now?"

"That I need to find Nick."

"Then let's go find him. But I'm driving, you may be slightly intoxicated."

"Good point. Natalie, you're the best. Let's go before I change my mind." We chugged the last bit of our drinks and rushed out the door.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 116 30
Scarlet just wants to be left alone and finish high school as she moved away from her home. People at her old school saw her as odd and she only had...
Where We Begin By Lara

General Fiction

852 67 50
He is an off-beat jokester with a sensitive heart, having trouble adjusting to life in California after moving from Chicago. She is the picture of po...
537 1 30
Two new neighbours. One flicker of a spark. Black gloves and psychopathic indicators. A murky past and buried secrets. A relationship worth dying for...
752 33 33
"Adulting isn't hard," said nobody, ever. Dealing with the highs and lows of life that comes after hitting your twenties seems like nothing for Cade...