Chapter 32

Natalie and I ended up at the rooftop bar next to our complex. It was quiet and I dreaded the night crowd that would soon be pouring in.

"Loosen up. I feel like we haven't hung out in forever. Let me buy you a drink. You can't keep wallowing in self-pity."

"Okay." I agreed to let Natalie buy me a drink because I felt bad and she was right. I was a crappy friend and hadn't been around much except when we were working alongside each other. I didn't want to lose my friendship with Natalie because she was always there for me through the Nick drama.

Natalie brought back a large margarita for each of us and it looked delicious.

"Thanks Nat. I promise I will try to enjoy my night."

"Good. I am just worried about you."

"I will be okay."

"I know and like I have told you I am always here."

"You are really the best."

"Yes, I am aware." Natalie grinned from ear to ear.

We talked for a while and watched as the crowd started piling in. I decided to head to the bar and grab us another drink before the area got to hectic.

I stood at the bar and waited for the bartender to get my order and let my eyes wonder around the room. They widened as I focused in on a familiar face. 

Nick was sitting with a group of guys in the back-corner drinking and laughing. I had never met any of his friends, so I didn't know who they were. I wasn't sure if I should even bother with the drinks or run away before Nick noticed me.

I heard the bartender say "miss" and snapped back into the real world. "Oh, sorry about that. Can I get two margaritas please?" I gave him an apologetic half grin.

The last thing I wanted or needed was a confrontation with Nick. I missed him but it angered me to see him so put together and having a good time. I was jittery and the heat started to form in my cheeks. I needed to get back to my seat, quickly. Luckily, Natalie and I were sitting on the other side of the large bar.

He came back with my order and I set a twenty-dollar bill down. He was getting a nice tip out of me, but I didn't want to waste any more time standing there, waiting for change.

I set the drinks down and my hands were shaking.

"Is everything okay? You're shaking."

"You're never going to believe who is on the other side of the bar."

"Nick!?"

"You got it. He's over there just having a grand old time with some guys I've never met, of course."

"Do you want to go somewhere else?"

"No, screw him. He doesn't seem to be bothered and I don't think he saw me. We are going to sit here and drink and have a great time." My voice was high- pitched.

"Okay then. I like that idea. Let's get our asses on the dance floor then."

Natalie and I made our way to the crowded dance floor and I moved around like I didn't have a care in the world. We were dancing together when two guys approached us.

Nervousness set in as Sam and Tyler came closer.

"Hey ladies!"

"Hey guys. What are you doing here?"

"We wanted a drink and Sabrina told us this place was pretty hopping at night." Tyler seemed hyper and ready to party. Sam swayed to the music but didn't have the pep in his step quite like Tyler did.