Kingdoms - Book 6 - The Frenc...

By carolynannaish

Elliad's wicked schemes continue to play havoc in the lives of King Luke and Princess Jobyn, threatening the... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight

Chapter Thirty-Two

38 6 11
By carolynannaish

Twitching and shaking, the simple Frewin was becoming uncontrollably jittery. His very breathing vibrated with spasms of nervousness.

    Bodmin savagely bit at his fingernails and on some fingertips he had begun chewing off skin, drawing blood.

    Hagen waved his sword, stomping around impatiently.

    The soldiers lined the tower battlements, some watching behind, the others looking towards the empty, open archway, grinding their teeth, waiting, waiting...

    Kenrik slouched over the parapet with his back to Hagen's coming and going sword.

    Jobyna sat on the cobblestones, praying and thinking of Konrad. If you save us out of this, Lord, I'd like to go home, for a while, to Frencolia, then I'll marry Konrad, she determined. As queen, I should be safe for the rest of my life... but then, what is safety—and where can it be found? Father said that there is no safety anywhere... anything can happen at any time. We've had so much turmoil, the plague, then Elliad... but this is the worst predicament so far, and Elliad's dead already...but still, enemies rise...

    Ulmar's voice finally came to them, "The way is clear! Tell us which way you will go after leaving the Baltic Road, and we'll see you have a free passage."

    "South!" Bodmin called back before anyone else could make a squeak. He turned and muttered, "Well, here goes nothing!" Pointing at Kenrik, Bodmin ordered, "Tie him up again and we'll move out." 

    The men had not imagined they could escape, so had no ideas for the future now they were being released. The rope that had bound Kenrik lay in pieces on the stone floor and the soldiers scavenged desperately to gather enough pieces to bind him successfully.

    Removing his rings, one by one, they tied his hands behind his back with the knotted rope, ordering him to lie on the floor of the carriage. Bodmin bound his feet. Kenrik felt the other length of rope under his body as he wriggled himself across the carpet towards the other side of the carriage and he was thankful they had not discovered it. He tested the ropes on his wrists. They were a work of art; many tight knots and would prove difficult to untie but he made an inconspicuous start.

    Jobyna, also trussed up tightly, was bundled on the floor at Kenrik's feet. Frewin climbed in, this time sporting a dagger.

    Kenrik knew Frewin would be far more proficient with his dagger than with any sword; the glint in his darting, beady eyes gave him away as a petty thief. The small, simple man sat, twisting and turning the gold ring he had been allotted, blowing on it and polishing it on the velvet.

    The carriage began to move. Jobyna expelled a sigh of relief, concealing a smile at the crashing sound of a lowered drawbridge.

    The sound of gates opening came to their ears. Finally, the portcullis was raised. The carriage wheels sank momentarily into the ditch that was being dug to free the portcullis. The whining chains lowering the portcullis once more echoed as did the clatter of the horses' hooves.

    Jobyna frowned, knowing that time would be lost in opening the portals again but she was glad no lives would be lost.

    The only lives at risk now, were Kenrik's... and hers. Jobyna wondered, Will the escapees really leave Chezkovia alive—as free men?—but then, they might think they are free but they are not... and I am. She smiled.

    One man controlled the reigns and guided the horses, which pulled the carriage. Six soldiers rode their horses in front. Hagen and the six others brought the extra horses behind. The entrance gates had been irreparably smashed.

    The desperate escapees rode out, down the narrow castle road and out into the open countryside. Not a soul was in sight. Flattened tents and upturned tables lay everywhere; there was no sign of anyone hiding anywhere; no obvious raised hiding places.

    As the carriage and horses passed, eyes looked furtively from under flattened tents, waiting until the carriage was out of sight. Thoughts turned toward the final taking of the castle.

    Moritz was already scaling the walls of the middle tower; many men were close behind him, hurrying to lower the drawbridge, open the gates and raise the portcullis. Running through the causeway to the entrance gate, Moritz met Constable Ulmar who recognized him. They saluted each other, jubilant but sober.

    "The doctors are on the beach road waiting to be called back when the way is clear," Ulmar explained.

    Moritz accompanied Ulmar back toward the castle. "Vincenz here will take you up to the castle. You'll need men to go over every inch of the castle and grounds. Enemies could still be in hiding. I'm going to take a horse and follow the royal carriage."

    "You won't need to," Ulmar said as Moritz increased his pace, "Troops were detailed to ride on ahead and a large company will be following at a discreet distance. You won't get through!"

    "I'll try anyway!" Moritz said, determined. He grabbed the reins of the horse he'd left in the second causeway, and swung himself into the saddle.

    "I'll send some of my men to accompany you!" Ulmar called after Moritz. Turning to Vincenz, he asked for directions to the stables. Having sent Ulmar's men in the right direction, Vincenz and Ulmar headed off up the steps. Troops following spread out, shoulder-to-shoulder, across the gardens, slashing off bushes and plants level with the ground, turning over statues and investigating every nook and cranny.

    Luke and Dorai headed their horses towards the castle after the carriage disappeared. Chezkovian soldiers poured through the gates ahead of them. All were monitored as they entered. The carriages moved slowly in the same direction and Luke knew Doctor Sleven was in one of them. Other than the commissioned troops and the doctor with his team, only direct relatives of Elliad's prisoners were allowed to enter the castle gates.

    The vista of the lower courtyard with its dead bodies revealed to the Frencolian King, Luke and Prince, Dorai, some of the carnage of the past hours. The spear had been pushed firmly into the ground, displaying the impaled head of the impostor to all who passed by. Luke and Dorai paused momentarily before ascending the steps, gazing at the gory spectacle.

    "No wonder Jobyna fainted!" Luke turned to his uncle briefly then gazing back at the pretender's head, he said, "He had everything! Riches, treasures, castles, power; a czardom at his feet; a captured kingdom; royal hostages; yet what does he have now? —what is there left in his memory?"

    Looking earnestly at his uncle, Luke continued, "He gained so much with the power of his sword! For all he stole, he has nothing. I pray even the slightest memory of him will die fast. It would surprise me if anyone finds his sword, yet it would have been the last possession he had within his grasp. Elliad John Pruwitt! He had gained the world; yet, as the Gospel Book says, he lost his soul. He who lived by the sword has died by it!"

    Chezkovian soldiers guarding the path, kept calling, "Keep to the path! Keep to the path!"

    Luke knew the way already, how could he forget? Soldiers were digging a mass grave in the garden. Others were bringing dead bodies, piling them beside the diggers; dead knights, emirs, constables, captains, soldiers, servants, slaves, men and women.         Shaking his head, Luke said, "This is a nightmare!"

    They were detained in the castle foyer as an officer recorded their names and that of 'The Princess Maia'. A constable escorted them to the dining hall.

    Doctor Sleven arrived and examined Konrad. He looked in his eyes and ears, listened to his heartbeat and poked and prodded. With help from his aides, he changed Konrad's position, laying him carefully on one side. Ordering the attendants to carry the pallet, they left the room.

    The doctor went to speak with Kedar, who assured him that a servant who was now presumed dead had tended to his wrist carefully. A young doctor told Kedar he would ride with him back to Jydanski where physicians there would examine the amputation.

    The team was surprised to find Kedar so well and free from pain.

    Maia sat with her eyes glued on the dining room doors, propped open and guarded by men in Chezkovian uniforms. She could not understand what was being said, but Cynara and Kedar sat beside her, explaining the announcements and questions.

    Ellice was escorted in and a constable asked if anyone knew her. Cynara told them, "She's Princess Jobyna's servant," knowing that Jobyna had a liking for the slave girl.

    Maia asked Cynara what was said then correcting the czarevna, she said Jobyna wanted Ellice referred to as her friend. Maia asked Ellice about Jobyna, where she was, why hadn't she returned? The trembling Ellice shook her head and tried to hide her tears, moving desolately away to sit on a couch.

    "Kenrik will be here soon... for this," Cynara walked towards the table where the crown had been placed beside the papers.

    Emir Javik approached Cynara, followed by several emirs, "Your Imperial Highness, Czarevna Cynara," he said bowing, "Your Imperial Highness, Grand Duke Kedar." He bowed towards Kedar. "It will be our pleasure to escort you back to your home in Jydanski." He nodded towards the crown and two Emirs moved forward, one to collect the crown, the other to gather the papers.

    "Where is our brother?" Cynara asked.

    Javik's expression gave nothing away. "The czarevitch is with Princess Jobyna. We wish you to come with us for some briefing then we'll escort you to your carriage." He smiled. "It pleases us greatly that you are both in good health and are now free!"

    Maia grimaced as they left. She longed to see someone she recognized. Looking at Ellice, she saw the slave girl was sobbing. Maia sat on the couch beside her, patting her back, wishing Ellice could talk. Suddenly she heard a voice she recognized!

    "Maia! My Maia!"

    "Father?" Maia flew into his arms. "Father, oh, Father!" He swung her off the ground, hugging and kissing her. Then it was Luke's turn.

    Exclamations and greetings complete, Maia asked, "Have you seen Jobyna?"

    "She's with Czarevitch Kenrik." Prince Dorai told her.

    Ellice dried her eyes. The princess really was with the czarevitch! Maybe everything was all right. Ellice had been tied up in the bedroom until Chezkovian soldiers had burst in. After cutting the ropes that bound her, they had questioned and threatened her until she managed to communicate the fact that she was mute. She wondered what would have happened to her if Cynara had said she was Elliad's slave.     Ellice felt indebted towards the czarevna.

    "This is Jobyna's friend, Ellice," Maia introduced the curtsying Ellice to Prince Dorai, who kissed her hand; then to Luke who repeated the greeting.

    "I remember Jobyna telling me about Ellice —and there was Boey, too, wasn't there? You spoke of them, Maia." Luke's eyes toured the dining hall.

    He swung around as two little girls ran towards him. 

    "Luke! King Luke!" They wrapped themselves around his waist and legs.

    "Zandra! Yvette! Did you know? —Your Papa's coming!" He bent down to talk to them, pleased to see their smiles. Luke looked towards the doors. "Here he is now."

    The stately, brown-bearded figure of King Thurlow from Danzerg, escorted by his knights, entered the room to claim his two little daughters. Laughter and exclamations took some time to exhaust.

    Turning to Luke and Dorai, King Thurlow's voice became sympathetic; "I'm terribly sorry about Princess Jobyna, Dorai, Luke! I hope they catch those dashed murderers. It's a terrible affair about the czarevitch..." Maia's high-pitched questioning cut off King Thurlow's statement...

    "Father, what does he mean? Where's Jobyna?" She stared at her father then to Luke, "You didn't tell me... you said she is with..." Maia stopped suddenly, hearing the silence, seeing their faces. Ellice stepped closer, as Maia asked quietly, "Were they murdered?"

    Prince Dorai picked her up in his arms again, "No darling! She is... they are..." He could not find an explanation to prevent a lie. 

    Dorai looked helplessly at King Thurlow who stuttered, "I'm so sorry... I... I..." The king backed away with one arm around each princess. He said, "I'll see you in Jydanski, my friends."

    Maia pushed against her father's chest and he stood her down, knowing she was much too big to hold like a child. "Tell me where Jobyna is!" Maia's voice became a whine. "Is she all right, or not?"

    Luke answered, "We're not sure where she is, Maia, but she is with Czarevitch Kenrik. And she is alive. We must pray that she will be safe."

    "Then she's not safe?" Maia persisted, "tell me, what happened!"

    Prince Dorai shook his head, beckoning Ellice to follow them, "We're going to Jydanski in a carriage and we'll tell you about it on the way. When we get to the palace we hope to receive word."

    "But Father, I thought we were going home to Mother! Jydanski is a horrid place..." She stopped her whining as she caught the look in her father's eye.

    "Maia! The roads are very unsafe and might remain so, for some days... weeks even. We can't travel back to Frencolia yet! I want you to keep quiet now and we'll discuss it later."

    Prince Dorai's frown dispelled when Maia hugged him once more, exclaiming, "I'm so glad to be with you! Safe! And free. We must pray and I'm sure God will keep Jobyna safe!"

    Prince Dorai hoped the czarevitch would be rescued swiftly or no one would be safe! He did not share this fear with Luke who escorted the tearful Ellice as they walked down through the gardens to the waiting carriage.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7K 530 23
This is the second book of the story of Locatlie. Julia is forcibly married to the three kings of Locatlie. Locatlie is a dictatorship in the south-p...
7K 482 26
This is the fourth book of the Locatlie series. The Locatlie series is a story about a young girl named Julia, who is taken at a very young age by th...
8.6K 591 26
After Julia gets taken by a gang, her husbands must do everything in their power to get her back. Once they discover what has happened, they must dea...
13.1K 339 13
The queen of the north slowly but surely lost it all to the queen and king of the south. She had nothing left her family was gone and the war was pin...