Marble || Edogawa Ranpo

Od marster_

ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ʟɪᴠᴇ ɪɴ ʜᴀs ᴅɪғғᴇʀᴇɴᴛ ᴄᴏʟᴏʀs ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴅᴡᴇʟʟ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍɪxᴇᴅ ᴛᴏɢᴇᴛʜᴇʀ. ʙᴜᴛ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴄᴏᴜʟᴅ sᴇᴇ ɪs ᴊᴜsᴛ... Viac

Case 1
Case 2
Case 3
Case 4
Case 5
Case 6
Case 7
Case 8
Case 9
Case 10
Case 11
Case 12
Case 13
Case 14
Case 16
Case 17
Case 18
Case 19
Case 20
Case 21
Case 22
Case 23
Case 24
- Discontinued Notice -

Case 15

5.5K 278 367
Od marster_

"What do you mean you only bring new cases today? I thought you know how to do better." Ranpo said disapprovingly as he points at you using his pocky stick and waves it up and down before he bites it away.

After being scolded by your chief before, you weren't exactly in the state of mind to get another lecture from him right after you come.

"Sorry...? What exactly did I forget?" You were clueless, nonetheless.

"That's exactly what you forgot. Good grief, do I really have to remind you?" He inquired, raising an eyebrow as if you are asking an incredulous question. "Can't you tell just by looking? If you want to call yourself as an assistant to a great detective like me, isn't it obvious that you must bring a gift or anything as my compensation?"

Eh? Really? Since when? You never heard there was some sort of agreement of that part. Did he just make that up?

"No, an assistant is too grand for you. Right now, you are still in a disciple level. So it obvious that you must bring me: daily fresh bake dorayaki and taiyaki. A cartoon of ramune. Pocky and Kitkat, all flavors would be good. Popin Cookin. Konpeito. Snacks all brand and anything that is sweet, also don't forget potato chips. If you can get me Honey Buddha Chips, it would be an extra point." Ranpo announced his list.

You can't help but to sweatdropped at such demand. Forget your paycheck by the end of this month if you have to buy all that for him. That's just so excessive and he just shamelessly ask you that. Has he no honor? Even as a great detective or not...

"...Isn't that too much...?"

"Nah. It's still generous enough of me to make it light for you."

Ugh... this guy... you can't figure whether he's a nice guy or an ass. Possibly both. But now that you are here, you can't find yourself to disagree with him.

"F-fine... I will keep that in mind next time, Ranpo-san..." But you felt like your soul is leaving your body as we speak right now. This definitely will give you a headache.

"Heh. Daz gowd to hear. Naw, whaz cazes zid you bring me zuday?" He asks, now seemingly satisfied with your answer. Ranpo is looking like a squirrel or hamster though since he is trying to stuff every delicacy he had in his hand into his mouth and left his cheeks puffy.

"Ranpo-san, please finish eating before you speak,..." What a bad manner. You thought inwardly and shake your head. But secretly you still admit that he is actually kind of cute.

But looking at him, you can't help but to think that Ranpo demeanor is so different from your chief. He is more laid-back and relaxes, but at the same time managed to be incomprehensible and childish with unreasonable demand. Well along with his childlike appearance, it's hard to take him seriously if not for his so-called-ability.

He sorts of feels like he is entitled to receive such treatment... which in its own way, you felt that he's being completely spoilt in this agency and that's already has been the norm for him. You look around the agency and noticed that the other staff are looking rather tense and give the impression of on the edge. Although before this you came when they were busy, it seems they are busier than before.

Did something happen?

"Few cases regarding a politician and DIET member, nothing that serious since I have to settle this one before proceeding with a new big case,..." You hope you didn't disappoint him with this.

"Heeeh. That sounds boring. But it can't be helped then," Ranpo comment and lick his fingers that cover with the crumbs. The tip of his tongue touches delicately and it moistens his fingers. It feels like you were watching it in slow motion.

Um, okay, what the hell.

You swear you didn't think anything dirty about his gesture just now. For Christ's sake, you are here for your job. Please refrain from meaningless thoughts. You have sworn not to let any emotion sway your conviction before. And this is one of the times where you must suppress your feeling, or whatever sudden hormone that kicks in your brain. But such action was so inappropriate in front of you, yet he doesn't seem to realize it.

No, you have to get rid of this thought immediately. You have a line that mustn't be cross when you are working side by side like this.

"Anyway, Ranpo-san, did something happen with the agency? Why does everyone seem so tense?" You bring out the question that has been bugging you since earlier.

"Hmm? Ohh, that. About the Guild." He answers lazily.

Your curiosity piqued up with the sudden mentioned, "The Guild?"

"Yeah, have you not seen the news?"

"Well... if you are talking about the news... I was kind of busy with paperwork and completing my report that I don't have time to watch recent news let alone open up my tv or read a newspaper." It wasn't wrong since you have been working until a late hour to complete the previous case report to submit it to your chief.

"Hee. I see. Well, it can't be help that a disciple will often depend on their mentor." He wouldn't let the chance to brag slipped by, isn't he? Anyway, Ranpo continues again, "We are in a war with The Guild right now."

"The Guild that you speak, are they the one from North America? Since I've studied back in London, I have heard the said organization by urban legend. Although I never cross with them to know they actually exist or not, there are still rumors that they are an organization that works behind the capital with important figures of the country." Something that almost the same with a secret organization like the Illuminati, though it was just another baseless rumors. "What are they doing here in Yokohama?" And to have a war with Armed Detective Agency at that.

"They wanted to have Atsushi, for whatever reason there is~ I'm not interested in this war right now. Hey, when are you giving me those cases? However mundane it will be, at least it was better than to deal with this stupid conflict." Ranpo dismissed that topic as if the war is not something serious to be worried about.

'I need to get rid of this from my mind.'

You read his inner thought that flash by. So he is worried about it after all. But you probably shouldn't snoop around something that is not your business and mind your own.

"Right..." You hand him the cases and let he read about it. Ranpo took out his special glasses again and wear it.

"Heh." He mused, "Now, this is certainly interesting."

"Really?" You can't help but become curious. The cases that you bring were all but a normal and boring one. It doesn't involve homicide that you thought would pique his interest.

"Well, not really~ But at least, this was better than I expected. What do you think about this drug case, [Name]-chan?" Ranpo inquired and place down one of the documents to indicated it to you.

"The one with the DIET members huh? Well, it was from hearsay that circulated around in the parliament that they are producing an illegal drug. But we do not have a concrete and solid proof about that to actually assume it was true or not. That's why I am here to ask your help whether they are involved in the syndicate or not to proceed with the investigation further."

"Of course, how else the case will be solved if not because of me?" He replied, then rescinds in his chair. "But I'm asking about the input on what you have perceived so far. Surely, you can tell it just by a glanced, right?" Ranpo asks as if that was already obvious.

Well... yes, but actually no.

You can't assess more information than what was written on the document.

Anyway, right now, Ranpo is trying to evaluate your deduction. Well, you were actually the one that knows most of the information but somehow, it feels like he is the one that was already ten steps ahead of you.

"A DIET member whose producing drugs under the name and reputation as a politician, I would think that they are trying to gain profit. But that would also make my assumption sounds stupid because... if the rumors were spread around, would it not tarnish their name regardless of their status?" You postulate.

Ranpo give you a snort, "IF that was the actual case. But if the drug they produce meant for the benefit of mankind. What would your evaluation be then? Are you going to excuse them or are you still going to apprehend them?"

For the good of mankind...? Does he mean like...

"Drug for medicine purpose?"

Ranpo shrugs, "Something similar like that. A drug can be used in many ways, to be a medicine to relieve pain or to be a poison to kill oneself. You can say it depends on the purposed it was made or the dose that the user takes. Didn't you take a drug too? Those pills as your painkiller?" He gestured to your pocket.

"Yes... I did. But what is the relevant for it in this case?"

"AH! You didn't follow my line of thought yet, did you?" He stated with a little disappointment, "I'm trying to guide you here. So, pay close attention."

Ah, you were chided by him.

"Yes! I will try my best, Ranpo-san!" You stated and straightened your back immediately. Somehow, Ranpo felt good to have such an earnest and keen disciple to be taught like you.

"Heh! Now, that's the spirit that I'd like to see!" He beamed and then he continued, "Listen here, this is something that far beyond what a normal human should try to make. A drug to exceed a mortal limit, something that can make one play as 'God' you may say. But this is also, a stupid and vain attempt."

Hearing what he said, you tilted your head.

"Why do you say so, Ranpo-san?"

"Because it's practically impossible! No human can be immortal."

"You mean to say that the drug has to do with being immortal...? Oh!" Then you felt like something clicked in your brain.

"Now, you get what I mean? Then, I have nothing further to explain." He hums and now looks satisfied with how fast you grasp. Although, it is still slower than him. Well, what can he say? You are still a rookie in his eyes after all, so there's a lot of things that you need to learn. But slowly, he will polish you because he saw you have a great potential ever since the first time that he meets with you. His judgement was never wrong, after all. However, right now, you are still in your dull color and he still has a lot to work on you before you can glimmer like a true shining marble that will gleam colorfully.

"Are they trying to make a drug to decelerate the process of human aging?" You ask, "Is that even possible?"

"That's why I said it was a stupid attempt. But this worth a discussion, what do you think if they managed to create one? Don't you think it will give a huge benefit to society? By extending the average human life span, wouldn't that greatly do humanity a favor? If I can live forever, imagine all types of candies I can eat without getting worried about my health getting deteriorated." Ranpo inquired, beckoning you to answer.

"That is certainly true... but if we only look at it at only one point, then we will just narrow our mind." You replied and held your chin, caressing it while you delve into your thought. "There will be a few causalities if one were to obtain immortality."

Ranpo cocked his head, "Oh? Then, tell me about it."

He really does want to see how far you can go with your reasoning huh? Well then, time to impress him!

"Let's say for the average of human life span is around... 80 years for example. It is rather short, yes. But one beneficial element we can say from a short time to live is our personal drive to do certain things in that period, or in other words, rapid growth within a certain limitation. We do everything we can do, albeit we realized it or not that our subconscious mind is telling us that we won't have much time. That's why we strive to live to the fullest each day. But what would happen if we suddenly have all the time in this world? Sure, there are other factors that will greatly give benefits, but as the time goes, it is safe to assume that everything will eventually slow down by stagnation. There will be no longer any rush. Like, people won't hurry to their workplace or people won't rush to their deadlines. Advancement will falter and maturity will take longer. It will create a rift between the one that gained immortality and the one that still remained fully biological. Then humanity itself will fall apart since we created a new sentient being, one that exceeds ordinary mortal and will look at themselves as being close to God. We might also create a new dystopian world where it will be exactly as a normal human ended up serving the immortal as their slave."

Ranpo creak on his chair, "Then let me ask you this, what if someone like me really does become immortal? Since I am a great detective in this world. Don't you think the possibilities of me solving cases in this world would reduce the amount of crime and injustice then?"

Oh, now that is something interesting to think about.

"Well... firstly, that is certainly something that will be a great thing. With you and your ability then, any case would be as easy as a piece of cake." You flatter him and Ranpo etched on a cocky grinned hearing that.

"If you have a longer life span, then we could get so many cases solved by your intelligence. Having a man like you attain immortality would be extremely significant indeed. However, then you must also remember. If you live long enough then you might start to lose sight of yourself or become boring with the same thing as humanity has known to repeat history. The cases that you handle might have the same modus operandi over time, you may never know about that, right? And then, if by any chance, you were the only one who was able to attain immortality, would you not be sad seeing people you know eventually age but you still remain young as you outlive them? You'd feel isolated and left alone no matter how much great your ability is. If it were me, I would grow tired, seeing people lie every day, it will be such a sad thing to live longer knowing that." You stated to him and then with the last sentence, your eyes trail somewhere else as not to let him read through your mind.

"Thing is fine as it is... we don't need to live that long." You add and murmured with a subtle voice.

Ranpo hums and rests his palm under his chin while he was studying and absorbed every syllable that left from your mouth. Indeed, what you just said does have its merit. However, he has something to add to counter that.

"If they created a drug where you can attain immortality, then there must be a cure for it. Of course, I would not be talking about suicide. But if technology could advance as far as giving us immortal bodies, then it would be as simple as removing the ordinary aging and death process. You'd be able to die anytime you wanted, just like you can now. This eliminates all the issues of boredom, witnessing the people you know dies or living forever alone."

True. But there's one answer that you can think of if that was the case.

"Then, all the process of giving natural birth and natural death would really be meaningless. We would lose our faith in a religion as we do not fear God anymore. We will lose our meaning to live as a human being. We won't appreciate the loss of life and mourn and grieve over death anymore. That world would be filled with nothing but delusion grandeur that we could live forever. It will fundamentally alter societal and personal advancement, likely then, for the worse."

A terrifying grey world of static splendor. The problem that will rise would not just stem from being immortal itself, but also the resources to sustain one life the longer they live on. The rich would remain rich and the poor will remain as the poor. A country in ruins with their tyrant leader that won't die and the corrupt bureaucrat and politicians to usurp all the means of authority and power with their insatiable greed, while abusing the less unfortunate one. It could lead the world to destruction. It could give birth to another world war and resistant would rise up-

Because a single drug that can give you immortality.

Oh... shit.

Isn't this case serious then?!

"Ranpo-san, you don't mean to say that they actually manage to create it, right?!" You slammed your hand on top of his desk in dreadfulness as soon as you realized that. Your loud voice earned attention from everyone inside the agency.

He was startled by your sudden action but still play it cool, "Well... I didn't say anything yet. But at least I could deduce that the final product was likely far from being finish. I just ask you for the likely scenarios. Heh~"

"Then...? It's really true then they were producing the drug to attain immortality. Then, that's mean they are doing something illegal such as experiment and all..." You trail off and read through the case file one more time to confirm your speculation.

"Hmm. That would be right. Why don't you go and investigate it further?"

"Oh... you are not coming?"

"I already give you plenty of clues. And if I come along with you, then the case would just easily get solve and you wouldn't learn anything beyond that... so, why don't you take Kyouka-chan for now? She can protect you if anything happens this time." Ranpo suggested and indicated to her desk, then upon hearing her name was mentioned, she turned her head and look at you, blinking her eyes.

You glance at Ranpo and fidget.

"A-are you sure I can take her...?"

"Hmm, why not? After all, you were here to actually interrogate her, right?" Ranpo said offhandedly, then he returns eating his chips.

Ah, shit. He saw through you huh. After discussing with Dazai before, you actually chose to observe her for the meantime...

But why is Ranpo assigning her with you right away?!

***

Holi, moli crap, guess who finally decided to update? ME!

Heck. Thank you for reading this book and leave comments and votes! I may not reply all, but I still read them okay! But in the meantime, updates will still be slow since I am focusing on writing Gilded Cage! Welp, the sooner I finish it the sooner I will return on focusing on Marble! :D

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

5K 70 46
°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・ VARIOUS BSD X READER ONE-SHOTS Works from my Tumblr! All works are fluff °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・
1K 14 9
𝙬𝙖𝙧𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙜!!! 𝙨𝙠𝙠 𝙨𝙨𝙠𝙠 𝙩𝙧𝙖𝙪𝙢𝙖 𝙢@ri 𝙙𝙚𝙖𝙩𝙝 𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛 𝙝*𝙧𝙢 Smut😩
10.6K 302 13
»ᴡʜᴏ ᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜ?« »ʏᴏᴜ ʙᴇᴛʀᴀʏᴇᴅ ᴍᴇ! ʏᴏᴜ ʙᴇᴛʀᴀʏᴇᴅ ᴀʟʟ ᴏғ ᴜs!« »ᴀs sᴏᴏɴ ᴀs ʏᴏᴜ ʟᴇғᴛ ɪ ᴛʜʀᴇᴡ ᴀ ʜᴜɢᴇ ᴘᴀʀᴛʏ ᴛᴏ ᴄᴇʟᴇʙʀᴀᴛᴇ.« »ɪ ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ɴᴇᴇᴅ ʏᴏᴜ. ɪ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ᴅɪᴅ.« ⚠...
98.7K 4.1K 6
❝𝘾𝙝𝙪𝙪𝙮𝙖, 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙬𝙖𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙡𝙖𝙨𝙩 𝙩𝙞𝙢𝙚 𝙮𝙤𝙪 𝙨𝙡𝙚𝙥𝙩?❞ ❝𝙏𝙝𝙖𝙩'𝙨 𝙣𝙤𝙣𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧 𝙗𝙪𝙨𝙞𝙣𝙚𝙨𝙨, 𝘿𝙖𝙯𝙖𝙞❞ ─𝘈 𝘚�...