An Unexpected Love

By nmmorton

*Highest Rank #1 in Historical Fiction* Shy and awkward Elizabeth Montgomery doesn't think she'll ever find l... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54

Chapter 33

16.4K 807 117
By nmmorton

Elizabeth ran her fingers over the book spines as she selected a tome from the library shelf, pulled it out, looked down at it, and placed it back on the shelf for what felt like the hundredth time.

She blew out a breath of frustration and turned from the stacks of shelves, crossing the room to gaze out of the window. Elizabeth stood quietly, arms crossed over her chest, and watched as a pair of sparrows hopped about the branches of a cherry tree, playing in the bright pink blooms.

Lord, I can't help but be worried about Edward and Matthew; please keep my dear friends safe. Please let them find something, there has to be a way to put an end to Mr. Stanton's wrath.

Elizabeth's thoughts turned to the last moments she had shared with Edward. Her heart ached as she thought about the doubt that had filled her soul; doubt in the possibility that Edward's father could in fact change, doubt in Edward himself, doubt in the very thing she had placed her trust in all of her life.

Oh, Lord, how sorry I am; I truly didn't believe that You are big enough to handle this, I do know that with You all things are possible, that all things work together for good to those who love You. Please heal Mr. Stanton's heart, and take away his anger and bitterness. And help me to forgive him for what's been done.

Elizabeth thought about her mother, knowing that she couldn't live in fear of tragedy, in fear of losing loved ones the way she had lost her mother. And she knew that she couldn't stay angry at Mr. Stanton forever; it would cause her to harbor hate and bitterness in her heart the way he had for all these years.

A smile spread across her face as she stood there, watching the birds flutter through the leaves of the tree, chasing each other. The scene reminded her that if God provided for the birds and met their needs, He would do the same for her.

And no matter what end was to come, she was ready to meet it.

---------------------------

"I think we've lost him," Matthew leaned back against a brick wall, catching his breath.

Edward nodded back at him, taking deep breaths.

They had made a hasty escape from the office at the Stanton house, racing out onto the streets and into the crowds of people walking the city. The two had ducked into a drugstore which Edward knew had a rear door, and had doubled back the way they had come, after making sure their pursuer had already passed.

"Any ideas on who that big lug was?" Matthew asked, peeking around the corner of the building.

"I didn't recognize him, but my father has several lackeys that do his bidding. It could've been any one of them. I don't see how my father could possibly be onto us that quickly, especially if he is still out at the plantation. Still, he did have me followed the day I took Elizabeth horseback riding, but I don't think we were followed from the plantation; otherwise we would have been intercepted sometime last night. I suppose anything is possible; we must tread carefully."

Matthew nodded, "Now what, my friend?"

Edward removed the box from his jacket. "I want to look over these papers carefully to see what sort of leads they contain, if any. They have to be important since my father hid them with these photographs." Edward glanced up at his friend, "Will you keep watch?"

"Right-o." Matthew turned his back on Edward, watching the main street from around the corner of the building.

Edward flipped open the box and started rifling through the papers. Many of them were folded to fit into the small compartment, and he carefully opened each of them. Reading and re-reading each one, he tried in vain to make sense of the slips of paper. They seemed to be a strange sort of correspondence between his father and one or many unknown persons. Edward's eyes rested on one in particular, a single, short statement.

It is done.

Edward's mind raced.

Oh, God, does this mean what I think it might...?

"Let us go, quickly, Matthew. There is one place I think I might find some answers about the contents of this box."

---------------------------

Elizabeth had passed most of the afternoon in the library, having finally settled down with a book. She found that once she stopped fretting and allowed her mind to be occupied by reading, several hours had been quickly spent. Glancing up at the grandfather clock, her heart leapt with the knowledge that she would likely see her beloved within a few short hours.

What a dreadfully long day this has been... I'll be so very happy to see Edward and Matthew back here safely tonight.

Elizabeth rose from her chair and set her book down, leaving it open to the page she was reading, and stretched. She walked over to the window again, checking to see if the birds were still in the cherry tree. There were no birds, however, and the afternoon sun slanted its golden rays through the pink blossoms, making them appear to glow.

"Miss Montgomery."

Elizabeth's breath caught in her throat, and her blood froze in her veins at the sound of the smooth, familiar voice. She turned slowly, and her eyes rested on Mr. Stanton, standing not two feet away from her.

My, but he slipped in here quietly.

"Ah, Mr. Stanton," Elizabeth's voice cracked, and she swallowed hard.

"Miss Montgomery, I was hoping I might have a word with you," Mr. Stanton smiled easily.

Elizabeth's mind raced, wondering what he could possibly have to say to her.

"Yes, I suppose that would be fine," Elizabeth gestured to the chairs, "would you like to have a seat?"

"Actually, I was hoping you might want to take a turn about the garden with me, it's such a lovely day out." He stood very still, arms behind his back, awaiting her response.

"I..." Elizabeth eyed him, her gaze taking in his countenance. He seemed calm; his blue eyes looked almost kind, a gentle smile rested on his lips. How he resembled her Edward just then.

He seemed to sense her uneasiness. "I only now came from the garden, and Miss Amelia and your dear Aunt are there as we speak, taking some air before having to dress for dinner. We will join them, if you like."

Why didn't Aunt Charlotte and Amelia fetch me to go out of doors with them? Perhaps they didn't want to interrupt my reading...

Still Elizabeth hesitated, and he continued, "I'm quite sure that they didn't come collect you because they didn't want to disturb you, they know how much you enjoy reading," he seemed to read her thoughts, and flashed his charming smile at her. Then his face fell slightly, "I wish to explain my behavior toward you when we spoke the night before last," he said contritely.

Elizabeth considered his offer.

Perhaps he wishes to apologize; surely it would be alright to walk with him, it is but a short walk to where Aunt Charlotte and Amelia are.

Mr. Stanton held his arm out to her, "What do you say, then?"

Elizabeth took his arm. "Alright, Mr. Stanton, let us walk, then."

"Wonderful." He steered her toward the library door, which led outdoors to the winding walkway ending at the garden.

As they stepped outside, the warm spring air greeted them sweetly. They started off down the walkway at a leisurely stroll.

"Miss Montgomery, I wish to apologize for the way I spoke to you; it was completely rude and uncouth of me." He looked down at the ground as they walked.

Elizabeth tried not to sound surprised at his admission. "It's alright, Mr. Stanton. I was terribly inquisitive, I just wanted to know more about my mother, you know."

He shook his head, seeming to scold himself. "I know, my dear. That's why I feel just wretched for snapping at you like that," he reached over and patted her hand which rested on his arm. "It's a terrible thing; losing your mother at a young age like that. My Edward can sympathize with you."

Elizabeth swallowed a lump in her throat at the mention of Edward and the shared loss of their mothers. She said nothing, for she could not speak if she wished to.

They walked on quietly for a few moments. As they neared the edge of the garden, Elizabeth looked around for Aunt Charlotte and Amelia, but she didn't see them. The large garden consisted of a maze of hedges, some of them over six feet tall, and her aunt and sister were probably concealed somewhere within.

Mr. Stanton broke the silence once more. "Miss Montgomery, on my walk earlier, I saw a brilliant blooming azalea bush which I would love to show you," he gestured to the left, toward the far corner of the garden.

Before Elizabeth could say a word, he was leading her through the tall outer hedges of the garden, away from the pathway.

Mr. Stanton spoke suddenly, "Miss Montgomery, when exactly did you and my son plan to inform me of your intentions?" His voice was low and flat.

Elizabeth sensed a change in his demeanor; alarm rang through her body. Taken aback, Elizabeth slowed her steps. "Mr. Stanton, I..."

Quite unexpectedly, Elizabeth felt a hand clamp over her mouth from behind, and another arm snaked around her waist. She was jerked away from Mr. Stanton's side.

Mr. Stanton turned, and she implored him to help her with wide eyes of shock.

Too late she realized, not only was he not going to help free her, but that he was responsible for her capture. While she was dumbfounded, her captor bound her hands behind her back, and Mr. Stanton tied a gag around her mouth.

No! What have I done? What a fool I've been! How could I be so careless? What could he mean to do with me?

Elizabeth felt terror rise up in her chest as thoughts swirled in her mind of what this man, who was staring at her coldly, was capable of doing.

"Yes, you and Edward think you're quite clever, don't you?" he hissed in her face. "You all thought I was fooled by that nonsense and talk of affections. The looks of lovers cannot be hidden easily, my dear. You think I don't know what Edward and Mr. Callaway are up to? I know much more than any of you could guess," he narrowed his eyes at her, "This one thing I know for sure, my dear, you are not going to get in the way of my plans to see Edward and Amelia wed."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.6K 423 30
Book 2 Amelia Hemmings is now an established businesswoman, even though she had only been at it for a few weeks. Word goes far, quickly. She almost i...
82 2 1
Elizabeth Conroy had it all. A handsome fiance, a beautiful ring, a perfect family, a family owned church and her own ranch house. But when Elizabeth...
404K 17.9K 111
Katherine never pictured her life would be this way, being 'sold off' to some uncaring, misogynistic pig who's nothing more than a leech to society...
8.1K 142 12
With the war over in France, Thomas and his brothers make a return home to Birmingham. Thomas is relieved that his Anna is still truly in love with h...