The Farmers Daughter

By -happysunshine-

"He's like a broken bottle and all his missing pieces are lost in the sand." •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••... More

Authors note
The Farmers Daughter
Introduction: A look at the past
Prologue
Chapter 1: Leaving
Chapter 2: Middle of nowhere
Chapter 3: New roof = new rules
Chapter 4: Early rising
Chapter 5: News spreads quickly
Chapter 7: Funny feelings
Chapter 8: Change of heart?
Chapter 9 | Part One | ~ God has a plan
Chapter 9 | Part two | ~ God has a plan
Chapter 10: Hitting the road
Chapter 11: Little white lies
Chapter 12: Pulling on my heartstrings
Chapter 13: Not all hearts are made of stone
Chapter 14: Everyone has potential
Chapter 15: Out on the hunt
Chapter 16: Finding the beauty in Gods creations
Chapter 17: A missed opportunity
Chapter 18: Trusting God in the midst of disaster

Chapter 6: It's okay to not be okay

511 50 47
By -happysunshine-

[ Edith's POV ]

5:30pm
-
I take my time as I drive down our long dirt driveway so I could be at peace for at least a few more minutes, who knows what kind of mood dad and Dallas would be in. I wanted to get my bearings together so I could apologize to Dallas the right way, the Godly way.

I park my 1950 Ford F-1 pickup truck underneath the giant oak tree that's planted in the middle of the dirt wrap around driveway. It's beautiful how the driveway circles around the tree and the branches—full of colorful fall leaves—hang over to create a shade for the front of the house.
My truck belonged to my grandpa and it was written in his will that it be given to me when he passed away. At first it wouldn't run but I used my savings to buy parts for it then dad and I worked on it out back behind the barn for a whole summer. It's a faded blue with a few rusted spots on the hood and bumper, but other than that it's a beauty. The money I make working at the small bakery in town goes toward a new paint job for my old baby blue. Yes, I named the truck.. it was too tempting not to.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and rub my hands down the sides of the steering wheel before I close my eyes and begin praying out loud.
"Dear Heavenly Father, I'm so tired of feeling like this. If I hurt others, give me the strength to apologize to them... If people hurt me, give me the strength to forgive and help me to have patience with them in the future. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen." 

I open my eyes and feel a new peace and love overwhelming me. I just needed to give it to the Lord and I'm silly to think I can fight battles without Him.

[ Dallas' POV ]
-
I swivel around from hauling these stupid hay squares when I hear Edith's old truck pull up the drive. I push my hair out of my eyes and wipe sweat off my forehead. "Can I be done?" I demand as I turn back around to face Travis. "You've killed me all day." I puff out a short breath of air as I lean over and place my hands against my knees. I don't think I've ever done this much physical exertion in my entire life.

Travis rests his backside against the horse trailer and studies me as he sips on his sweet tea. "You've done somewhat decent but you're still not giving one hundred percent."

"You're not keeping me out here all night long doing barn work, that's Edith's job." I let the hay drop to the ground and I sit on top of it. "I don't have anything left to give! It's impossible to keep going." I inspect the sky when I hear a boom of thunder. More smoke colored storm clouds were rolling in. "And besides, it's raining for crying out loud! I don't want to step in horse crap thinking it's mud."

Just as I spoke those words Edith comes strolling down the worn path made in the grass that goes all the way up to the farmhouse. "Yes some of it is my job and that's why I came down here. If you don't want help then I can g-"

"No! You need to do your part and I'm willing to give you mine." The rain turned from a drizzle to a hard pour. I stand up and almost slip when I step forward into a forming mud puddle.

Edith bites her bottom lip and I could tell she was trying not to laugh. "You do yours and I'll do mine." She grabs the light orange rope that was tied around the hay bale before lifting the thing with ease. She carried it inside and up to the loft.

Travis chuckles and shakes his head. "If Edith can do barn work without breaking a sweat then so can you, son." He wanders inside the barn and leaves me out in the rain.

The rain beat against my back through my t-shirt as I trudged up to the house for a break. I didn't care if Travis got aggravated with me so when he called for me to get back down to the barn, I simply ignored him and kept on walking. Screw him, screw Edith, screw the world; it's times like this that I miss my mom and the comfort I got from being in her loving arms.

As soon as I get into the house and to my bedroom I break down and cry. I sit down on the floor at the foot of the bed in front of the chest, pulling my knees up to my chest. I wanted this weight lifted off my shoulders; I felt hopeless, felt empty, spiteful. I can't remember the last time I was ever genuinely happy with my life.
"Mom." My voice was hoarse as I spoke out loud. "Mom if you can hear me.. just know that I miss you so much. I wish you were here with me, even if it's just for a little bit." I press my palms against my eyes and suck in a breath before exhaling. "I want you to hold me and tell me everything will be okay."

My bedroom door creaks open and Edith peeks her head in a bit. "Rough day?" She questions.

I grab a pillow and throw it at her angrily before standing up and slamming the door in her face. "I know this is your house but you don't have to be nosying around in my business!" My voice was wobbly as I hit my hands against the door frame.

"You're not the only one." She sighs and I could hear her sit down outside the door. "My day didn't turn out so great either."

"You're crazy to think I want to sit here and discuss my day with you. And so help me if you tell a soul about me crying." I wipe my eyes with the back of my dirt covered hands then grab a pillow to clench in my hands so I won't punch a hole in the wood paneling. I didn't feel like having bloody and bruised up knuckles for the next week.

"You don't have to be a tough guy just like I don't have to be a tough girl." She was soft spoken which was a bit odd coming from her. "It's okay to feel heartbroken. I um.. I still talk to my mom and she passed away three years ago."

As curious as I was, I didn't want her to know. I scoff and kick my sneakers across the wood floors. "I'm not doing this, Edith. We're not going to have a heart to heart and then a ride off into the sunset."

She taps her knuckles against the floor and thinks for a moment before speaking. "That's one reason why I struggle to like you."

"I can assure you that the feeling is mutual." I stated as I searched for a clean shirt to put on.

"You don't even know me. How can you hate me when you just showed up here last night?" I realized she wasn't going to leave anytime soon.

"Well, you don't know me either." I find a clean black t-shirt in the closet so I take my soaking wet one off. "Don't act like you didn't judge me when we sat at the breakfast table."

"I'm sitting here trying to get to know you but it's hard trying to break through your walls you've built up." She says simply and sighs.

"They're built up for a reason and I'm not tearing them down for you." I reply smartly to her, but then I remember my plan that I wanted to put in place. She won't fall in love with a jerk so I had to make her believe I could change.

"If you don't talk to me then you can always talk to God. That's why I'm here, Dallas." I hear her stand back up and turn the doorknob. "I have bitterness towards you and God isn't pleased with that. So.. I'm here to apologize and hopefully I'll try to do better."

I was puzzled at how her demeanor could change so quickly just from this morning. I think it stunned me because it sounded like I was talking to my mom.

She opens the door and comes to stand at the edge of the bedroom. "My mom was in a car accident when I was fourteen. I struggled with it and was angry with God for a very long time, but I honestly wouldn't bring her back if I could. This world is a wicked place and she's better off in heaven where there's no suffering, only peace."

I couldn't speak because that's what mom said to me when she was still alive and we were a happy family.
-
"I'll be better off in heaven where there's no suffering, only peace. I'll get to meet Jesus and see grandpa John." Mom kissed my cheek and held my hand. "One day you'll see me again. I want you to always love God with all your heart, okay? He'll get you through bad times if you always have faith in Him."
-
For a moment I could see a resemblance between Edith and my mother and that's probably why I thought Edith was beautiful, because she reminded me of mom. The same soft way of speaking, the way her hair framed her face, the way she spoke about Jesus like He's her best friend.

Edith bites her bottom lip softly and we both stand in silence for a good while. "Again I'm sorry for thinking you were trash beneath my feet. If it ever happens again don't be afraid to confront me on it."

"I'll put that in my mental notes." I lose the harsh edge from my tone just a bit.

"You + me = youth group? My friend Kathleen insisted that I invite you to come with us on Wednesday. It's not very big, just a group of about eight teenagers." She rocked back on her heels and stuck her hands in the back pockets of her jeans. "You don't have to join me. I was um.. just offering so Kathleen won't jump all over my case."

A small smirk formed on my lips as I stepped closer to her, for some reason she amused me. I wanted to take away the tough farm girl facade and make her nervous around me. "I thought your dad didn't want me around you. And here I thought you obeyed daddy's little rules with your whole life."

That did the trick, Edith was already fumbling for words. "Well um, we're going to youth group so he'll understand." She couldn't even look me in the eyes anymore. "Kathleen and Layla will pick us up so we won't be, you know... alone with each other. Just think about it." She runs her fingers through her hair and backs awkwardly out into the hallway. "So yeah, goodbye."

I reach out to grab her other wrist. "Can you really see me at a church youth group? Honest answers only."

"N-No.. I can't really see you doing anything that involves God." Her lips stay parted a little as she tilts her head up to lock eyes with me.

"Then my answer is N-O. I'm not going but I'm sure you'll have a great time worshiping your God." There was still a testy tone to my voice but it wasn't as noticeable as before.

This time Edith made a move to reach out and slowly take both of my hands in hers, they felt like ice cubes to the touch but they were surprisingly soft. Her hands felt delicate and small compared to my rough filthy ones. "I'll be patient with you, Dallas. It's going to take a lot more than smart comments to get rid of me."

"I never gave you permission to touch me." I go to pull my hands away but she squeezes my hands firmly to stop me.

"Don't think I won't be praying for you. You don't even have to join us at youth group... just, try to understand me and maybe I can try to understand you." She lets go of my hands and her arms falls to her sides.

"You can't expect me to meet you in the middle." I turn my back towards her so she wouldn't see my face. I could feel my cheeks heat up and I didn't want her to see me that way.

"I didn't say you had to, now did I? I believe I told you to try. I'm not going to force you because that won't get us anywhere." The wood floor creaks as she walks towards the open bedroom door.

"Why are you even doing this?" I argued but I honestly didn't have the confidence to face her anymore. For all I knew my cheeks were probably as red as a tomato. It's like she chipped a piece of stone away that's surrounding my heart.
Really, Dallas? Stop with this nonsense!

"Everyone should be told about Jesus. I'd be doing you an injustice if I didn't." And with that she steps out of the bedroom and strides down the hallway. Her footsteps start to fade then the old screen door on the front of the house opens and shuts.

"I'm comin' dad! Hold your horses." She promised and ran off in the direction of the giant red barn.

===================================
Hi everyone! I hope you enjoyed this longer chapter :)

Question 1: What are your thoughts about Dallas?

Question 2: Does anyone have a favorite character?

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Don't forget to vote and share with your friends!

~ Xoxo Madison Grace

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.5M 82.7K 141
Soon to be Published under GSM Darlene isn't a typical high school student. She always gets in trouble in her previous School in her grandmother's pr...
137K 778 25
spoiler "Berani main-main sama gue iya? Gimana kalau gue ajak lo main bareng diranjang, hm? " ucap kilian sambil menujukan smirk nya. Sontak hal ter...
172K 7.6K 59
ခွန်းသမိုးညို × သစ္စာမှိုင်းလွန် အရေးအသားမကောင်းခြင်း၊[+]အခန်းများမြောက်များစွာပါဝင်ပြီး ကိုယ့်အတွက်ဘာအကျိုးမှရမည်မဟုတ်တဲ့စာဖြစ်သည်နှင့်အညီ မကြိုက်လျ...
493K 14.2K 53
what happened when the biggest mafia in the world hid his real identity and married an innocent, sweet girl?