Kingdoms - Book 6 - The Frenc...

By carolynannaish

Elliad's wicked schemes continue to play havoc in the lives of King Luke and Princess Jobyn, threatening the... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight

Chapter Ten

53 5 17
By carolynannaish

 Communications arrived from Proburg, written by the hands of the princes, Warford and Mayer, Konrad's brothers. The letters stated that their father, Gustovas, was enjoying his stay with Czar Kievik and was having 'a whale of a time, reminiscing over the past'.

A feast that would last more than a week was being enjoyed. Their mother was well and Gustav had decided not to bother with the conference. Elliad, the traitor, was indeed dead and Frencolia should get on with its own affairs. "Stop worrying about business belonging to other kingdoms!" The letter received by Warford and Mayer had been written in Prince Gustovas' own handwriting and was sealed with their father's royal seal ring.

"There seems nothing to arouse suspicion," Mayer wrote to Konrad and Kenrik.

The very fact that Mayer wrote this, about there being nothing to 'arouse suspicion', caused Konrad some anxiety. Their father was not one to be easily beguiled and surely he would know the real czar from the trickster Elliad.

The more Konrad deliberated about it, the less sense it made. He wanted to dismiss Chezkovia from his mind and forget about Elliad but he knew ignorance would not cause the problem to disappear. The new czar of Chezkovia was fooling everyone, and Konrad dared not think why his father, Gustovas, was supporting the charade... or... Konrad switched his mind off Chezkovia. He had enough to take care of right now!

One sunrise at a time, he reminded himself, remembering Luke's affirmation of this phrase.

Konrad sent a gift with Kenrik for Princess Jobyna, complete copies of all the known volumes of the Scriptures and he knew she would enjoy sharing the writings of Paul the Apostle with her brother Luke. Referring to a particular verse in the Book of Romans, he reminded Jobyna, "God is always in control in the lives of those who are His children."

He further wrote to her of his appointment and acceptance as king of Reideaux, asking her to seriously consider becoming his wife. Konrad did not write 'queen', knowing the title would most likely stir a negative reaction in her active mind. He remembered she disliked the title 'Princess' and he hoped the aversion to royal titles would not put her off him for good. He closed the letter with the words, "My love is yours, forever. Affectionately, your friend, Konrad."

~~~~~

Princess Jobyna stood beside Prince Dorai and Princess Minette at the base of the dais of the Frencolian throne when the herald announced, "His Imperial Highness, Czarevitch Kenrik, of Chezkovia."

Kenrik entered, followed by Doctor Sleven and two of his sons, Michael and Adolf. Jobyna's heart was glad to see the doctor again, this kind man who called her 'his daughter'. She could not believe how much grayer he was, how old he seemed, his face so lined and drawn.

The reading of the Book of Romans greatly thrilled Luke and he ordered his scribes to begin making copies of the new volume. The Book of Acts and Paul's writings had not been read before.

Jobyna and Luke together memorized the verse that Konrad had written in his letter, All things work together for good to those who love God, to them who are the called, according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

"ALL means ALL —not just the things that we choose— not just the circumstances that suit us. This means the bad as well as the good," Luke said to his sister. He added, "Let's memorize this verse so we can recall it whenever we need it."

~~~~~

The day of the conference arrived. Furniture in the large dining room of Kings Castle had been rearranged to cater for the seating requirements.

King Luke Chatelain sat at one end of the tables, which had been positioned to form a large rectangle. On his right sat Prince Dorai and on his left, Lord Farey. Kenrik, Doctor Sleven, Michael and Adolf sat alongside Prince Dorai. The senior knights sat on benches along the wall behind Luke and Dorai.

Czarevitch Kenrik's counselors were positioned behind him.

King Willem and two of his knights sat at the table, Queen Anstice and their counselors behind.

Prince Dietrick from Zealavia and Ambassadors from Bavarest, Danzerg and Muldaver made up the rest of the group seated around the table.

Jobyna and Minette sat with Queen Anstice to counter-balance there being only one woman present.

King Willem had informed Prince Dorai that he required his queen's advice as he discussed all matters pertaining to their kingdom with her and she was always involved in decision-making at the top. That he considered his wife most wise was a great compliment.

Each country had scribes, seated at desks behind their appropriate dignitaries. The room was a mass of royal activity.

Luke opened the conference with readings from the Gospel Book.

He commented upon the verse, "Where no counsel is, the people fall: but in the multitude of counselors there is safety, Proverbs 11:14."

Luke verbalized an earnest prayer to: "The One and only True God, our Wise Creator who made Heaven and Earth."

Kenrik spoke first, explaining, "Prince Gustovas and Crown Prince Gustav are absent due to a trip to Chezkovia." The czarevitch sat, sheepishly, not wishing to divulge that the Sovereign Prince of Proburg and the Imperial Czar of Chezkovia were possibly in agreement against him!

King Konrad's letter of apology was read, his words, stating Reideaux would do all their utmost to support the decisions made at the conference, were noted.

Each kingdom that had suffered at the hand of Elliad and his attacks presented documents containing evidence describing the raids.

Kenrik gave testimony, stating, "I believe Elliad has imprisoned or murdered my father and is posing as the Czar of Chezkovia, having been joined and supported by my step-mother, Czarina Terese.

"King Konrad has fears regarding the safety of his father, Prince Gustovas, his mother, Princess Rhaselle, and his brother, Crown Prince Gustav. King Konrad hopes to receive word even whilst this Conference is in session, that the Monarch of Proburg has returned safely to Landmari Castle."

Princess Jobyna was called to recount her experience in witnessing Elliad wearing the czar's crown, seated on the throne in the Chezkovian throne room; she testified, "I dined with him and the czarina, and Elliad, gloating, acknowledged his charade as czar."

The rest of the day was filled, listening to proposals as to how the countries could join in ridding Chezkovia of the menace and thus preventing the spread of the reign of the power-mad tyrant. Everyone agreed that Elliad would not ultimately be content to remain peacefully in Chezkovia.

"The troops at Elliad's disposal," Kenrik estimated, "are eighty to one hundred thousand men."

A pensive silence filled the chamber. All realized that even if all kingdoms joined together; without Proburg's help, they would not number those of Chezkovia.

"If Elliad gains Prince Gustovas' support, another fifty-thousand soldiers will be joined to those against us," Kenrik said.

Luke said, "If only there were a way to expose Elliad, or terminate his reign, without having to go to war."

Jobyna thought, If he's given enough rope, he'll make a wrong move and hang himself. But just what the 'rope' could be —I have no idea...

The kingdoms divided off, retiring to separate rooms to discuss their final submissions for presentation the next day. Prince Dorai advised the representatives before they separated, that time was limited and their vote must be cast as soon as possible.

Two days passed before all were ready to meet in the dining hall again to discuss the final decisions.

Luke said, "If any country is remaining neutral, it is only just, that those representatives speak up and move out, whilst the others deliberate on their confidential information."

Lord Stansfield from Muldaver rose to state he was choosing, at this stage to stay neutral but wished to know the decision of the conference. "I will then deliberate with the king of Muldaver; and if Elliad makes a movement of war from Chezkovia, against any other kingdom, we will join the alliance by sending troops."

It was agreed that Lord Stansfield could remain to hear the decision.

The outcome of the conference was the signing of a mandate against the man, 'Elliad John Pruwitt'. A list of his crimes included the murder of the previous king of Frencolia, Leopold Friedrich, and his heir, Samual of Samdene. It was alleged that Elliad had imprisoned or murdered Czar Kievik of Chezkovia and was currently acting illegally as czar.

Elliad was accused of holding as prisoners, the Czarevna Cynara and the Grand Duke Kedar. The responsibility of Princess Maia's abduction lay at his feet. Other countries had submitted names of those murdered by Elliad, and the extensive list included Luke and Jobyna's parents, Baron and Baroness Chatelain of Frencolia.

The pretender was granted seven days from receipt of the mandate to surrender to be tried for the said crimes. No one in the conference room believed Elliad would surrender. Copies of the accusations were written, to be dispatched to every city and town dignitary in the country of Chezkovia as Kenrik believed many Emirs were not aware of the accusation of the charade being lived by their 'czar. Rather, they had accepted that the traitor called 'Elliad John Pruwitt' had was dead. The mandate should cause the Emirs of the cavalries to rally and check out the personage of this so-called 'Imperial Majesty'.

"Hopefully," Luke said, "Many from the Chezkovian cavalries will join with you, Czarevitch Kenrik, in the battle to regain the throne for your father."

The closing statement on the mandate was: "If Elliad John Pruwitt will not return the stolen crown to the rightful czar, then the listed countries will mobilize their troops in war against the pretender and those who support him. This mandate is not against the Czar or Czardom of Chezkovia; but against one despot, namely, Elliad John Pruwitt."

~~~~~

Over a week passed before the documents were completed and signed. One by one, the kingdoms' representatives were given formal farewells.

Czarevitch Kenrik left first, to return to Reideaux where he would be closer to receive news as it came to hand from Chezkovia. Doctor Sleven bade a fond farewell to Jobyna, and she in turn, sent affectionate greetings to Brenna, the doctor's wife, who was now living in Reideaux.

Jobyna had penned a brief letter to Konrad, encouraging him in his new role and stating that she was praying earnestly regarding his offer of marriage. She wrote that God would most surely work all things out for their good. "God is faithful, who promised," she added, closing with, "Affectionately Yours, Jobyna Chatelain."

King Willem and Queen Anstice were the last dignitaries left at Kings Castle; they requested permission to stay for another week, sending the documents back to Strasland with some of their knights.

Jobyna questioned the queen about the slave-girl, Ellice, who had been kidnapped from Strasland, but the queen was unable to give any information as to which part of the country she would have been taken from, or any enlightenment as to who she really was. Jobyna was horrified to know the extent of the raids in Strasland for which Elliad was named as being responsible, although people who lived in Valdemar castle and in the village testified to the fact that Elliad never left his home but was seen each day by all, at the castle and in the village itself.

Luke prepared for his journey to Reideaux. The Frencolian king would finalize with Konrad, projected locations for troop bases and lists of supplies and equipment that Frencolia would transport to Reideaux together with those from Danzerg, to build bases for the troops that would gather.

Prince Dorai commanded uncompromisingly, "You must be back in Frencberg before Elliad receives the mandate which will be in approximately five to seven days' time. While you are in Reideaux, Son, I will amass the Frencolian army."

Jobyna wrote a letter to Brenna and another for Konrad, thanking him again for the Gospel Book and stating, "I will take my brother's and uncle's advice and accept your offer of marriage, Konrad."

She added, "I must tell you, King Konrad, I'm also listening to the dictates of my heart. When you left Frencolia after having declared yourself to me, it was then I realized that I do love you. I believe it's God's will for us to be married, and I believe He will bless our lives. Luke suggested that the betrothal take place by proxy but I would like us to make our vows together in the sight of God."

She did not write how much was struggling with the awesome thought that Luke had brought to her mind, that when she married Konrad, she would be the wife of the king of Reideaux and would likely be given the title, 'Queen Jobyna'.

Luke and Jobyna bade each other fond farewells, neither dreaming the incredible events that would come to pass in the next few days. To Jobyna, Reideaux seemed as safe as Frencolia, but then, she did not know of Elliad's men, stationed in Frencberg, who were watching, waiting, listening and planning with careful considerations and meticulous mastery!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7K 530 23
This is the second book of the story of Locatlie. Julia is forcibly married to the three kings of Locatlie. Locatlie is a dictatorship in the south-p...
5.7K 415 25
This is the fifth book of the Locatlie series. Julia wakes up in a new world without her three kings. King William, King Hugo and King Trevor have b...
13.1K 339 13
The queen of the north slowly but surely lost it all to the queen and king of the south. She had nothing left her family was gone and the war was pin...