Kingdoms - Book 6 - The Frenc...

By carolynannaish

Elliad's wicked schemes continue to play havoc in the lives of King Luke and Princess Jobyn, threatening the... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight

Chapter Eight

46 7 12
By carolynannaish

The days following Maia's disappearance were full of upheavals for all at Kings Castle in Frencberg.

King Luke and Prince Dorai, upon consultation with their counselors, dispatched messages to the outlying kingdoms informing them of the kidnapping of Princess Maia and warning them against sending their royal dignitaries due to the danger and uncertainty existing.

The conference would go ahead as planned and representatives from the different kingdoms would be most welcome to attend, but choice of the ambassadors attending was to be at the discretion of each individual kingdom's council.

Replies arrived intermittently. The king and queen from Strasland would still attend. The crown prince from Zealavia planned to visit in person, but representatives only would be commissioned from Bavarest, Danzerg and Muldaver.

The next week, a reply arrived from Proburg stating Prince Gustav would travel with Czarevitch Kenrik and Doctor Sleven, to represent Proburg and Chezkovia. This communication was sent just a few days before Prince Gustovas departed for Jydanski.

An urgent summons arrived from Reideaux for Konrad.

Luke noticed the perplexed expression shadowing his companion's face as he read the communication.

While the two young men walked from the royal suite where Konrad occupied a guest room within Luke's apartment, Konrad confided in his friend, "King Kelsey has fallen seriously ill and his doctors have requested my presence with him immediately. He has no family and we've grown very close. I must leave today, Luke."

The prince slowed his pace, saying, "There's one matter I'd like to take care of before I leave, Luke. I would like you and your uncle to consider granting to me, the hand of your sister, Princess Jobyna, in marriage."

Ignoring Luke's surprise, Konrad continued seriously, "I was going to leave it until all this unpleasantness was over, but I don't know how long I'll be detained in Reideaux. I'll request that King Kelsey send an ambassador for the conference in case I don't return in time to represent him. There'll be the matter of the dowry to consider and the length of our betrothal but we can discuss that sometime in the future. I'm very much in love with your sister; she's the most wonderful woman on earth to me, and I hope, Luke, you'll allow me the honor to take care of her as her husband."

They had stopped walking and Luke leaned on the castle wall as he listened to Konrad's earnest confession, "I loved Jobyna from the first moment I set my eyes upon her."

"I've noticed your attention to my sister." Luke smiled at this 'would-be' suitor. The idea; his precious sister... marrying Prince Konrad... it was very pleasing.

Luke spoke as in confidence, "Jobyna needs a husband like you, Konrad. Uncle Dorai and I are her sworn protectors and we would continue this protection even after she marries. However, our father promised us, when we were young, that we would not be betrothed by our parents, but they would guide us to choose suitable partners. They didn't like the current ideas of young people being victims of missed-match-making to suit the ends of those using the dowry for their own gain."

Luke was thinking out loud, "But things are different now for Jobyna and me, and you, Konrad, no one could be more perfect for Jobyna. I must speak with Uncle Dor first. I'll go now while you gather your men to make preparations for your departure. I'll miss you, Konrad of Proburg."

Prince Dorai gave hearty approval to Konrad's offer and he urged Luke to settle the matter before Konrad departed. Luke, however, was not willing to make the decision final without speaking to Jobyna. "I can't tell my sister, 'You are betrothed'. She must be involved in the decision."

The uncle did not agree; women were subservient and therefore needed no such consultation; however, he suggested, "Find Jobyna now, Son, then Prince Konrad can leave with assurance." These two royal males believed that Jobyna would agree without question.

The young king's search for his sister led him to one of the castle kitchens. The king wasn't bothered that his sister loved to cook but he caused unprecedented bewilderment when he, the king of Frencolia, swung open the doors and wandered calmly through the kitchen, flanked on either side by his body-guards and followed by an attendant and a messenger boy.

Servants all around the chambers bowed or curtsied, some dropping bowls and utensils in confusion. Luke drew near when he saw Jobyna and was pleased to note that the mixture had all been used and final trays of cookies were filled. Ignoring the obeisance about him, the king distributed warm jam-tarts to Loran and Granville; his scribe; and to the messenger boy.

Jobyna pretended not to notice his theft of the children's cookies. After all, she reminded herself, he is the king. She sidestepped, curtsying to her brother and smiling. "The king in the kitchen! No wonder everyone is in such a dither! Just when my friends here are getting used to me, you turn up and cause an earthquake!"

Luke bowed and kissed her hand. Frowning, she wiped her hand dramatically on her apron as though to remove a stain.

He whispered, "I have to talk with you, urgently."

Concern rose upon Jobyna's transparent face. Luke said with a broad smile, "It's good news! Very good news!"

Jobyna followed her brother through the maze of warm kitchen chambers. Pulling her apron off as she walked, she handed it to an attentive maid. "Have they found Maia?" She was speaking to the king's back.

To her consternation, Luke kept walking. When out in the corridor, he spoke carelessly over his shoulder, and increased his pace, "We need to talk privately and I want you to prepare yourself not to be ornery, Little Sister!"

"Luke Chatelain!" Jobyna stopped walking, her hands on her hips; but her brother kept up his pace. She ran after him, calling indignantly, "What do you mean, 'ornery'? I'm not ornery!"

Annoyance gathered on her fair brow, causing her face to appear more formidable. The princess did not appreciate the manner in which Loran and Granville glared at her, as though censoring her for speaking to their king in this un-royal way. "It is my sisterly privilege!" Jobyna muttered, yet perturbed.

"Yes, you are! Ornery!" Luke called again, over his shoulder. "At least, to me you are. I'm the king, I should know." He broke into a run, ascending the steps, three at a time, rushing along the corridor and hiding around a corner. As he anticipated, Jobyna raced after him, and he leapt out at her, scaring her. They both doubled up in laughter.

Konrad strode purposefully along the corridor from the other direction, wondering how such a commotion was going unchecked; castle guards should be intervening and restoring peace and order! He had no idea that the king of Frencolia was in the middle of a war with his 'little sister'.

Luke held both of Jobyna's hands tightly to stop her from cuffing him; they struggled as though in the throes of a great battle; his laughter and her squeals of frustration resounded and echoed in every direction.

The prince from Proburg stood intrigued, then amused, watching for some minutes before either of the combatants realized his observation. Luke released Jobyna and she sought to compose herself, trying to tidy her hair where it had fallen loose. The word 'ornery' still raced in her mind. Luke motioned his attendant to open the door to a small office, and he bowed for Jobyna to enter. Konrad, catching his encouraging wink, waited outside.

Jobyna turned to face her brother, "I promise not to be 'ornery', if you promise to hurry up with this good news."

"Sit down and I'll tell you." Luke commanded with a smile and as soon as she sat, he explained without ceremony, "Prince Konrad of Proburg has asked me for your hand in marriage. We, that is, Uncle Dor and I, think it's a marvelous idea."

Jobyna inhaled deeply through her nostrils, her shoulders rising stiffly at the astounding, unexpected, 'marvelous idea'. She stared wide-eyed at Luke as though he was a stranger. Words rose into her mouth, but the word 'ornery' burned in her mind and she choked back her retorts. She slowly released the pent up air from her lungs, before allowing an audible catch to escape from her throat.

"It does not please you?" Luke was taken aback at her reaction, but he spoke quietly, closing the door between Konrad and the office. Jobyna stared at the floor in silence. "Jobyna..." He sat and waited, watching her.

At last she felt she could trust her voice and spoke, but she was unsure, almost pleading, "I don't want to get married... Luke... not yet..."

Luke narrowed his eyes, thinking she was, indeed, being ornery, very ornery. He said, firmly, "It won't be right away! Konrad reminded me, there's the matter of the dowry and the length of the betrothal to decide." Luke saw her eyes swimming with tears, and he was puzzled. "Don't you like Konrad, Jobyna?"

Jobyna struggled to pull back the flood of tears that threatened to burst. She bowed her head, answering, "It's not that I don't like him, Luke, I do... I mean... but marriage?" She felt afraid, but could not admit this to her brother. Jobyna tried to stall such a life-binding decision and said, "I haven't been home in Frencolia very long... I scarcely get any time with you... my own brother... and I feel I hardly know Uncle Dorai... and Minette... and the children... and... and now... Maia... Elliad..."

Luke walked around the desk and stood in front of her. His words were reassuring and Jobyna felt like a small child; Luke was so much more mature; she listened as he explained, "Marrying Konrad would not mean you don't have us, Jo, it would be like extending our family. You'd have a husband who loves the Gospel Book and I would have a brother..." He saw the droop of her bottom lip, her eyes blinking back the tears, and he sighed. "You need time to think about it, don't you?" His voice was gentle. Luke remembered from the past how his sister hated to make decisions on the spur of the moment.

The brother explained the haste for the sudden need of a commitment, "Konrad has to leave for Reideaux in a few minutes and I don't know when he'll return. King Kelsey is very ill and his doctors have urgently requested Konrad's presence."

Luke paused for a breath, then said, "Konrad's very much in love with you and it will be difficult for me to tell him that you're not pleased with his offer."

In a very small voice, Jobyna said, "You didn't tell me he had to leave so soon..." She tried to reason within herself why Konrad's sudden departure should change anything, and realized then that she did not want him to go away. "I must speak with him," Jobyna said, determined. "You remember Father telling us we could marry when we were ready and not before?" Luke nodded and Jobyna asked, "Then, does my king allow me, his sister, to have a choice?"

"Yes, Jobyna, but please, be gentle! You might not have realized it, but Konrad is deeply in love with you. I care for you, Little Sister. Do you think I want you to marry just anyone? Konrad is special. You must be kind to him!" He noticed Jobyna's face soften, and the brother opened the door.

Konrad looked first at Luke then at Jobyna as he entered the office. The mirth of moments before had vanished, replaced now with expressions bordering on gloom.

Jobyna curtsied to Konrad while Luke sat behind the desk. She said, "My brother tells me you have to leave Frencolia, Prince Konrad. I will pray for a return to good health for King Kelsey and ask you to remember me to him." Jobyna beheld Konrad's blue eyes searching deep into hers.

Like a stab to her heart, an unwilling question flew to her mind. "Is this love?" Jobyna felt confused. She faltered as a new revelation tried to surface; she cared deeply about this prince. Trying to choose her words with kindness, she spoke softly, "Luke told me of your offer of marriage and I hope you'll understand my reasons for postponing a decision, Prince Konrad." She saw his countenance drop. His sad, doleful expression deeply dismayed her. She wanted, so much, to see him smile at her. Reminding herself of Luke's words, she continued, her voice softer still, seeking to soften the blow that she also felt now. How can I know my own mind? I feel confused... I don't know how to tell him anything...she thought...

Jobyna sought to explain, and her honesty caused her to bare her heart, which pounded in an unusual fashion, "I need time to think and pray. My confession is that I'm such a child that I've not seriously considered marriage. Marriage, to me, is for when I'm older, more mature. You'll have to forgive me, Prince Konrad. I've not adjusted to my new life in Frencolia with my kingly brother and my uncle..." She blushed and looked away, feeling his hurt again.

A new sensation flooded her as it dawned on her mind just how much her heart truly cherished this prince. Again, she wondered, Is this how love feels? How can I ever know?

Konrad took her hands, kissing them, causing her mind to compare Luke's brotherly action in the kitchen; this was entirely different. But the prince was speaking, "I accept your words, Princess Jobyna. There's no one else..." It was more a statement than a question. She shook her head. "Then I ask you to consider me, and I promise I will love and cherish you as the Gospel Book teaches a man to so love his wife."

Jobyna gripped his hands and tears sprang to her eyes as she remembered the way this handsome prince had defied his father and helped her in the dangerous escape from Elliad back to Frencolia. In a manner contrary to her character, she blurted, "I'll always consider you to be the first prince in my life, Prince Konrad." She bowed her head, saying, "You will be a wonderful husband, I'm sure..." She would have said more had there had been time, but Konrad bowed to her and left the room, followed by Luke.

Jobyna sat, pensively thinking about this turn of events, Konrad's unexpected offer. Was it so unexpected? She scarcely knew him, did she? Then she thought again of the protective way he had escorted her on the journey from Proburg. How much he loved and encouraged the reading of the Gospel Book. He loved her too, this was obvious; his love shone appealingly from his blue eyes. What more did she want in a husband? She had been battling against their friendship; her weapon: an image in her mind of the 'perfect' farmer-type husband —Shepherd John. How kind he was to his wife, Jane and their children. He had shown such fatherly love to her. She would never forget Shepherd John, and she wished they could find out where he had gone. If only Konrad had been a farmer like him, she would have shouted, "Yes, I'll marry you!"

What if God did not want her to marry a farmer? How could she flaunt a childish whim in the face of this young man who believed in her God and who trusted her enough to believe she cared? She bowed her head in prayer. Such an important decision as the choice of a life's partner must be surrounded by prayer! Yet in her heart, Jobyna already knew that God had planned for her to meet Konrad. It was no aimless mistake. These past three months she had missed out on his friendship because of her stubbornness.

Konrad had been there, steadfast, watching and waiting patiently for signs that she cared for him, but she had ignored the slightest hint of friendship.

Now he was leaving; she might not see him for months! How could she let him go believing she did not care for him? Taking herself to task, Jobyna desired to change her answer to the prince.

The princess found herself running down the stairs, along the corridor, racing around the courtyard; only to collide with Luke and her uncle returning from farewells to the Reideaux-bound party.

Upset that she was too late, Jobyna thought frantically of the road north to Reideaux; and to the surprise of those in her way, she raced back into the castle, climbing up and around the narrow spiral staircase, up, up, up, and out on to the northern battlements. She knew Konrad would be disappointed that she had not been there for the farewells and she watched eagerly for him to come into view, out beyond the orchards.

Jobyna felt sure he would look back at the castle. She had seen him turn his horse often to view the way he had come. Focusing her eyes upon the empty stretch of road, her mind filled with thoughts of the dashing Prince Konrad, imagining him as her husband. The faster beating of her heart was not all due to the hurried ascent of the stairs.

Jobyna had thought of Konrad as a brother, like Luke. Asking herself what she thought a husband should be like, she struggled to find an answer. Perhaps a man like her father, mature, older, and her child-mind had been set on him being a farmer —a Shepherd John to her— not a prince. But Konrad did not act like a 'prince', at least not in the fashion of Jobyna's past limited concepts of a prince's behavior. Luke is scarcely the 'over-bearing, royal king', is he? Kings and princes are ordinary people. I'm a princess, and I'm very ordinary, she mused.

Her thoughts jumped back to the moment when she beheld the movement of horses. The men wore brown uniforms but she knew Konrad by his fair curly hair. He rode out in front with Moritz at his side. In a short while, the company would turn into the hills and out of sight.

As Jobyna expected and hoped, Konrad turned his horse fully around, facing the way he had come, letting the other men pass him. She waved her blue shawl as high as her arm would extend. Her long hair, now loose, blew playfully in the breeze.

Even from this distance, atop the castle, Jobyna sensed Konrad's blue eyes light up as he recognized her, and she returned the warmth of the wide smile she imagined upon the prince's face.

Wishing she could let him know that she loved him, she put both hands to her lips and threw kisses to him.

Konrad pulled his hat from his head. Throwing the head covering carelessly in the air, he deftly caught it and waved. Placing it on his head once more, he copied her action and threw her a kiss; which to his men, appeared akin to a salute.

Luke had followed Jobyna's passage, wondering where she was running to. He now witnessed the exchange with great happiness on his face. His sister was always slow to make up her mind, he thought.

Peeling his jacket off, he waved it vigorously, as he walked along the rampart to join Jobyna.

Embarrassment glowed from Jobyna's face at first, but when Luke did not tease her but kept waving to Konrad, she joined him, waving the blue shawl again.

The rest of the company had disappeared and Konrad turned his horse around twice in full circles, waved his hat again, and was gone.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.1K 339 13
The queen of the north slowly but surely lost it all to the queen and king of the south. She had nothing left her family was gone and the war was pin...
8.1K 403 41
Aaliyah had lived her whole life under the overbearing shadow of her fathers new wife and her filthy daughters. Aaliyah has no idea how her mother d...
215K 17.5K 51
One comes from royalty, and one comes from poverty. Yet the same shadows follow them everywhere, leading them right to each other and their destiny. ...
5.7K 415 25
This is the fifth book of the Locatlie series. Julia wakes up in a new world without her three kings. King William, King Hugo and King Trevor have b...