SHIFTER ā”€ marvel

By solobarnes

"Then what is it you want from me?" "What I want, is you." ā”€ BOOK 3 of the FALLEN WARRIORS SERIES ā”€ A MARVEL... More

SUMMARY
PART I: OLD LIES
I. Greece
II. Everyone Needs Help
III. Watching Eyes
IV. The Pink Blouse
V. A Sore Loser
VI. Animal Attack
VII. A Lost Childhood
VIII. Shapeshifter
IX. Cappuccinos And Case Files
X. The Dance Studio
XI. A Message For You
XII. A Twin
XIII. The Laboratory Part 2
XIV. Moving Forward
XVI. PROJECT SAVAGE
XVII. Parenthood
XVIII. All The Answers
XIX. Stay With Me
XX. Siberia
PART II: NEW TRUTHS
XXI. A Cure
XXII. True Strength
XXIII. The Phone Call
XXIV. A Brother's Love
XXV. The Kimoyo Beads
XXVI. Hallucinations
XXVII. Anger And Pain
XXVIII. Healing
XXIX. New Plan?
XXX. A New House
XXXI. Haunting Nightmares
XXXII. Sending A Message
XXXIII. What Makes You A Hero
XXXIV. Finally At Peace
XXXV. A Heart Full Of Hate
XXXVI. Two Pawns In The Game
XXXVII. Gratitude
XXXVIII. A Chance To Be Normal
XXXIX. The Wedding
XL. The Dance Floor
XLI. Steel Blue Eyes
NEXT SEQUEL COMING
NEXT SEQUEL: SOLDIER
ONE SHOT BOOK: HEROES
NEXT SEQUEL: FALLEN
NEXT SEQUEL: LEGACY
LAST SEQUEL: EVERMORE
TALES FROM FALLEN WARRIORS

XV. It Wasn't A Mistake

863 42 4
By solobarnes

Chapter Fifteen
Alex

As we fly back to Hamburg, I sit silently in the back of the ship, trying to process everything from today and trying not to lose control.

Though I have been able to control my shifting for years now, I still have times where the beast within threatens to pounce. Learning that a mad woman is after your sister and that everything you thought you knew about your superpowers was wrong, tends to put stress on someone. The stress isn't helped by this mad woman killing more people, but not just any people, the old couple that lived in our old home.

We make sure to park a little ways away from the house, not wanting to draw attention by a Wakandan ship landing in the suburbs. This was better for Bucky anyways, who has to stay out of the action as much as possible. As soon as Bucky shut the engine off, Soroya and I made our way off the ship.

We ran at full speeds towards our house, finding Chief Alfred directing paramedics towards the back entrance of the house, since news reporters are blocking the front door.

Soroya pushes her way past the other officers, dragging me along with her. When we make it to the chief, he almost looks relieved.

"When did this happen?" Soroya asks him, guilt dripping from every syllable.

"A couple hours ago," Chief Alfred says, his voice frustrated and annoyed. "I wish the damn press would take a break. They got here before we did. You should probably go through the back entrance, they can't follow you there. I have it blocked off."

"Was is just the couple?" She asks.

The chief nods. "Yes. And there's another blood message on the wall like the one in New York. Have you discovered anything new?"

Soroya and I share a glance, but I gesture for her to take the reigns on this topic. "We discovered some new information, yes. This woman's name is Analiese Remington. She was a HYDRA scientist and as I said before, is a shapeshifter. I wish I could tell you more, but for now all I have is unconnected dots. But hopefully all will be revealed soon."

The chief pats Soroya in the shoulder, giving her a sympathetic look. "Don't blame yourself, Ms. Roberts. I recognize that look of guilt, I've had it myself on several occasions."

Soroya shakes her head, glancing over at our family home. "I wish I could believe that. This woman is after me. This couple, the electrical company workers, those innocent bystanders, they're all dead because of me."

"I have been in law enforcement for a long time," he says, his frustration turning into inspiration. "In nearly forty years I have never met a person with more heart or courage than you, Ms. Roberts. These attacks are Remington's fault. Her's alone."

Soroya genuinely smiles at the man, nodding her head respectfully to him. "Can we go in?"

Chief Alfred nods, pity now filling his eyes. "From what I understand, this was your house. You go right ahead. The both of you." He says, nodding to me.

We don't need any help finding our way, and we say as much to the police officers who try to usher us to the back entrance and tell us where each of the rooms are. As we make it into the backyard, I feel so much pain, yet happiness all at once. I remember playing with my toy trains in the grass, with Soroya dancing around a couple feet away. Mama would usually be playing trains with me, while Papa cheered Soroya on as she would copy Fred Astaire dances step by step. I can almost forget for a moment that this house is now a murder scene.

As we make it through the back door, I feel Soroya grip my hand, and I grip her just as tightly. The living room is covered in blood, like a scene from a horror movie. On the wall, where I remember our family pictures used to hang, is a message written in blood; 'It Wasn't A Mistake'.

I don't know what the hell that means, but as I look to Soroya, I think she may have an idea in mind. The inside of this living room is even more ugly than it was when we saw it the other day. I know that's not the thing to think of how, but even through the blood I feel the ceramic cats mocking me. It looks so different from what I remember. The only thing that I think looks the same is the carpet, but now instead of cream it's crimson.

Thankfully the bodies of the old couple have been taken out, but even without them here, I find myself feeling lightheaded, and it isn't from the blood. The fact anything terrible, let alone a murder, would happen under this roof, is more than I can process. This was our home, our safe place, the place Soroya and I grew up in. Nothing bad is supposed to happen here. And yet, here we are.

Soroya and I have the same idea in mind, because without having to say it, we both make our way upstairs. This will probably the only time we can really see our old house again, so we're going to make the most of it.

Mama and Papa's room is pretty much the same as what I remember; dark blue floral wallpaper, with dark wood floors and an in-suite bathroom. The furniture of course is different, and I'm not even going to acknowledge the leopard print decor in this room. I think I might just murder this couple all over again.

Mama and Papa's old room is to the right of the stairs, then next is the bathroom and the linen closet right next to each other. The two doors on the left lie the two guest bedrooms, one of which was used as our toy room when we were little. On the right side of the hall, is my room then Soroya's.

Gripping our hands tighter, Soroya and I slowly walk towards our old rooms. There was only a wall between our rooms, so on the little stretch of wall between the two doorways we used to measure our heights as we grew up. The scratching of our heights made by Mama and Papa are still there. I see tears slip down Soroya's eyes as she touches the scratching that says; Soroya - 4'8 - 9 years old.

I feel tears prickle my eyes as well, seeing the last scratching for both of us; fourteen years old for me, twelve years old for Soroya. We both glance into our rooms and I feel my heart falter. My room was turned into a storage space; filled to the brim with boxes of the old couple's things. Soroya is starring in disgust at her old room. I lean over to see that her room was made into an exercising room.

Despite the situation, I scoff. "I'm beginning to feel less and less sympathetic towards these people's untimely demise."

Soroya elbows me. "Do you ever take a day off?"

"Who would I be if I didn't fill uncomfortable situations with humor? Besides, I told you they turned one of our rooms into a exercise room. And I was right. An old man's ass sweat was filling the same room you used to fantasize about marrying Gene Kelly."

Soroya glares at me. "Don't make it weird...and I didn't fantasize about marrying Gene Kelly. Besides Fred Astaire, I dreamed of marrying Rock Hudson."

"Wasn't he gay?"

My sister shrugs. "Can't a twelve year old have a crush on a gay dead guy?"

"Now look whose making jokes. You're such a hypocrite. Do you think they turned our basement into a sex dungeon? I wouldn't put it past them after seeing the animal print monstrosity of their room. Wanna go look?"

Soroya wipes at her tears, nodding her head. "I want to see my old basement again, but I'm not routing to find a sex dungeon like you. You're really sick, you know that?"

"Part of my charm." I say

We make our way back down the stairs shortly after that. Even though I feel a tremendous amount of sorrow being in this house again, I, for a second, feel like we are kids again; rushing down the stairs to escape to the basement to play. I ignore the bloody living room and cryptic message as we make our way to the basement, wanting to relive in the past for just a moment longer.

-

Soroya has been talking to the chief and his deputy for quite some time now. I didn't want to get in the way, so I've been sitting in the tree in our backyard, the one I used to climb all the time when I wanted to be alone. But right now, there was one person I really needed to talk to. I press on my Kimoyo Beads, feeling a sigh of relief come out of me as Khari's face appears.

Khari looks just as relived to see me. "You're alright aren't you? Are you calling to tell me something went wrong?"

I shake my head. "Another attack happened, didn't Okoye tell you?"

He shakes his head. "I'm sure she was going to, but she and the others are busy trying to find any information on Remington. They're having no luck yet. Soroya called me earlier and told me what you three found though. How are you doing?"

I shake my head. "Not good. I spent so long not knowing what was wrong with me, wondering day and night what had happened to me. I just finally thought I knew who and what I was. Now I'm back to square one."

"No matter how you got your powers, you are still the same man. This is just a slight set back and in no time you'll have all the answers. I know it."

I lean my head back against the trunk of the tree, feeling my heart ache. I wish more than anything he was here with me. "The attack was at our old house."

Khari's tone grows more serious. "The couple is dead?"

I nod. "We got to go inside the house...and I can't even describe what it felt like to be there again. I was in my old living room, I saw my old bedroom, I saw the basement. Right now I'm in the backyard I used to play trains in as a kid. Even though this is a horrible occasion, part of me feels really happy. Its like Soroya and I have been allowed a few hours to be children again."

Khari smiles at me sadly, and I can see the same ache in his eyes. "I wish I could be there with you. You shouldn't have had to go through this alone."

I shake my head, letting out a sigh. "I'm not alone. I have Soroya and the old man with me. And even when you're not here, you're only a few second holographic phone call away."

"A holograph isn't good enough for me."

"Khari," I say, hoping my reassuring words will convey through the hologram. "I'm not going to blow away in the wind. I'm alright. I'm not turning into ashes anytime soon."

Khari pinches the bridge of his nose, nodding his head, more to himself than to me. "I know. And I know you're perfectly capable of taking care of yourself. I'm trying really hard not to be overbearing, but it's proving to be difficult."

"You're not being overbearing, but I hate the constant look of panic in your eyes. I just wish you would relax. You're going to get wrinkles from how much you tense up."

Khari lets out a chuckle. "And without my looks, I don't have a chance at keeping you tied down."

I nod sarcastically. "Well, of course. You know I'm only with you because you're an incredibly sexy man. Once I see one wrinkle I'm packing my bags."

Khari sighs. "You flirting with me and making sarcastic comments only makes me miss you more. When are you three coming home?"

"After Soroya is done playing superhero for tonight. She's talking with the chief of police here in Hamburg. We should be home in a few hours."

"How is she doing?"

I look over towards where she stands, a stoic look on her face as she talks to the chief. "She's doing what she needs to do. She's a fighter. I pity Remington when she shows her face again."

A look of pride goes over Khari. "So do I. Will you call me when you are approaching the barrier?"

I nod to him. "I will," I say, swinging my legs over the branch and jumping down to the ground. "I love you."

Khari smiles, wide and beautiful, making his hazel eyes crinkle. "I love you, too. Hurry back."

I turn my Kimoyo Beads off, my eyes wandering back towards my sister. Despite the tough face she puts on, I can tell this whole situation is hurting her deeply. I know she blames herself for these deaths, and I know she desperately wants to understand and reason with Remington. It's clear Remington doesn't want to take a peaceful route, and hopefully we will soon learn why.

I could see how anxious Bucky and the others are; worrying that something is going to happen to Soroya. But I'm not worried. What I said before I meant; I pity Remington when she shows her face again. My sister is an Avenger now, and I'd love to see anyone try to challenge her. And to those who do, I can't wait to see them fail.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

144K 6.6K 64
"Did you find that life you wanted?" "I did. And it was beautiful." ā”€ BOOK 2 of the FALLEN WARRIORS SERIES ā”€ A MARVEL STORY ā”€ COMPLETED ļ£© solobarne...
338K 5.6K 21
"Promise me you'll be happy. Promise me you'll find peace, that you'll find a home." "I promise." A WATTPAD FEATURED STORY ā”€ BOOK 1 of the FALLEN WA...
93.2K 3.1K 116
Since childhood, Y/n Y/l/n, Steven Rogers, and Bucky Barnes have been an inseparable trio, always watching each other's backs. But when WWII breaks o...
30.9K 626 21
(n.) wild and noisy disorder or confusion; uproar. A part of the Tranquility series. Phase Two. "It's obvious I wasn't meant to fall in love with yo...