A Bullet is the Key.

By haleycomet246

It was supposed to be simple... Except there is always the calm before the storm and in this case.. the silen... More

prologue
Chapter 1
A Bullet is the Key
Chapter 2
A Bullet is the Key
Chapter 3
The Bullet is the Key
A bullet is the key
Chapter 5
A bullet is the Key
Chapter 6
A bullet is the Key
Chapter 7
A Bullet is the Key
Chapter 8
A Bullet is the Key
Chapter 9
A Bullet is the Key
Chapter 10
A Bullet is the Key
Chapter 11
A Bullet is the Key
Chapter 12
A Bullet is the Key
Chapter 13
A Bullet is the Key
Chapter 14
A Bullet is the Key
Chapter 15
A Bullet is the Key
Final Chapter
A Bullet is the Key
Epilogue

Chapter 4

66 3 0
By haleycomet246

Chapter 4

Rolling over I hugged my pillow closer to my face, all of a sudden it moved and a deep chuckle was heard. When did my pillow move and make noises? I thought. Pressing my nose further into my so-called pillow I realized how warm it was, slowly I took my hand that I had wrapped around the 'pillow' and moved it up forwards. The 'pillow' felt warm and muscular under my fingers... wait what! When did my pillow have muscles on it, with a jump I pulled away from the comfy warm muscular 'pillow' instead of the light blue pillow case I was so accustomed to a bare chest starred back at me.

"Morning beautiful" a husky voice said from above me, slowly taking my eyes from the chest before me I made contact with striking deep blue eyes a gasp left my lips. A cheeky smile lit up his pink kissable lips, a smile spread across mine as well because in that instant I was content with where I was.

"Morning handsome" I said softly as I laid my head back onto his chest, I must of surprised him because I felt him stiffen under my head before he relaxed under me.

"How are you feeling?" I heard him mutter as he brought a hand up to rub down the length of my hair and twisting the ends that hung over my shoulder between his fingers.

"I am feeling better, thank you. Did you sleep okay?" I asked him softly, as I lay on his chest I gazed upon the muscles I scrunched up my nose in confusion as I saw the different color spot on his ribs. Before he could answer I jumped up off of him earning a loud groan from him, "What the hell Bell." I didn't answer him as I slowly brought my hands down his chest, now remembering that I was helping clean him up before I went and answered the door.

"Ry" I whispered slowly and quietly as I traced over the bruise that made up the area below his ribcage, he took a sharp breath as I moved my hand to cover the bruise. Glancing up at him with tear filled eyes.

"Bell, no don't cry I am okay" I felt his finger trace my chin toward my lip where he moved his thumb softly over my bottom lip, I shook my head at him as he moved his hand from my lip to cup my cheek.

"I didn't take care of you like I should of, I mean I told you I would clean you up then that happened and now I just remembered your chest which is bruised." I leaned into his hand as the words just fell from my lips in rambles, I have no idea how he understood me.

"Bell it is okay," he said softly, his thumb still caressing my cheek. All I could do was just nod my head at him afraid of the rambles that would most likely fall from my lips if I opened it once more.

"I fixed myself up a little after you left to go downstairs, I'm okay now I promise you that my little one." I held his eyes as they looked at me, not through me like my parents, but really at me. I mean of course he looked at me that way it is because he was my best friend before something happened, things I am still unsure of. Unanswered questions swam in my head, to many voices trying to get their point across to me. I was so busy in thought that I hadn't noticed Ryder grip my face with two hands and start shouting my name. Why would someone want to harm me? I have done nothing but been the best and strive for the best in this world and try to prove my parents differently. Those dark hallow eye holes still haunted my mind, the thought of someone really wanting me dead scared me. I was school president, I was well liked by everyone though they thought I was teacher's pet, but I wasn't. The thought of someone wanting to murder me was a scary thought all by its self; in the end I still had no idea who it could be. But then it goes back to that day three months ago, the day I was not at school, the day Ryder chose to wait for me at my locker. Wait! What if Ryder wasn't the one to be shot that day, but I was. What if I was the person who was supposed to be shot, and then what happened to the other three injuries that day? That means there had to have been a fight, I mean I don't think he just chose to pick three people injure them and then shoot the boy not knowing what was going on since his back was to Richard. Why would two of the three victims leave? What were Bobby and Chrissie talking about before that third person walked up? Oh shit, I have to go on a date with Bobby!

At that thought my heart started to race and not in a good way, I mean he was attractive but so not my type at all. By now Ryder was shaking me; I could see all this happen before me, as I stared at him unblinking my mind somewhere else. As I stared at him though I took in every detail, every straight curved line that made up his face. The dimples that would poke from his cheek when he smiled his true happy smile a smile I truly loved, the way one eye was shut a little more than the other. As he lowered his head I caught the faint line of a scar but the thing was, that scar that should have been on the right side of his head since he was facing away from the doors the day of the shooting, wasn't there. That bullet that caused that scar and gave him his temporary blindness was striking through the small amount of exposed skin through his hair before vanishing from sight, but that scar happened to be on his left side.

A gasp left my lips. Because in that moment, I realized he wasn't facing away from the bullet Ryder Jameston was staring right at the gun that day.

"Bell come back to me" a voice whispered, blinking slowly I came back to the real world, Ry's blue eyes looked scarred and had a glazed look to them. Tears almost started to fall down his cheeks, blinking more I moved my head to the side seeing as somehow I had made it onto his lap and curled into a ball.

"Ry" my voice whispered, the moment he heard my voice he wrapped me in his arms and held me closer to his warm chest.

"I thought I lost you in your head for a moment, I was so scared. I yelled at you but you wouldn't budge, you wouldn't move either." Pulling back from his body I looked up into his face, I looked at him curiously just as a PING rang through the room.

"I'm okay," I said slowly as I pulled from his arms to go check my phone, the one that lay away from the bed. As I got up I felt the chill of the air hit my bare legs... wait! Bare legs... how the hell? Looking down I realized I was only in my shirt my black shorts were lying on the floor; I looked back up to a sheepish looking Ryder as he ran a hand through his hair.

"Ry?"

"Well you see... umm... well you looked uncomfortable, so I took your shorts off" he said a shy smile on his face; you could see the faint red tint color his cheeks.

"Oh okay" I said as I turned around with a smile on my face seeing as how he was embarrassed about undressing me, reaching into my purse once I got to it. I saw fifteen text messages and three missed calls; my missed calls were from Sydney, Chrissie and Bobby? How did he get my number, must have gotten it from Chrissie? I opened Sydney's first since I knew it would be about student council, there was me as president, she was vice president and we had ten other members. Stepping toward the bed I plopped back down next to Ryder, covering myself in the blankets, soon my ears heard the click of the television and the sound of Sponge Bob fill the room. I looked at Ryder as he snuggled under the covers pulling them up to his chin as he moved to place his head on my lap, seeing as I was leaning against my headboard with a pillow behind me.

As the sound of SpongeBob filled the room I began to reply to my messages, seeing as it was 7:30 in the morning on a Saturday.

Sydney: Booths- Kissing Booth(you), Dunk Tank(Mathew), Cotton Candy(me), Snow Cones(Roger),Snag a Duck(Mackenzie),Popcorn(Jennifer),Football Toss(Maximus),Mystery Packing Containers(Alice), Test your Strength(Mitchell),Ring Toss(Ryan),Cake Walk(Annie),Sponge the Professor(Claire).

Sydney: Charities- Guide Dog foundation for the blind (Me and you), St. Jude (Claire and Mathew), Wounded Warrior Project (Jennifer and Roger), Doctors without borders, USA (Annie and Maximus), American Red Cross (Mackenzie and Mitchell), World Wildlife Fun (Ryan and Alice)

Chrissie: Hello! You disappeared after that stupid fight, though I am so glad you agreed to go out with Bobby. Oh by the way I gave him your number.

Chrissie: Okay, you haven't replied to me.

Chrissie: Emmabell, you better reply right now before I begin to worry my ass off.

Sydney: So I have all the paperwork written for you as well and what each one wants to charge for pricing to raise money. Hope Ryder feels better, but there is something I think you need to know.

Once I saw that text I quirked my eyebrow upward, what did she mean she had to tell me something. Before looking at the other messages I quickly sent Sydney an "Okay, thank you. Okay tell me later tonight, ill have you come over and hang out with pizza. Girl's night."

I felt Ryder move on my lap so I looked down at him and when I did I saw the scar more prominent through his hair seeing as he was lying with his right side on my lap. Bringing a hand up I placed it softly on his head, running my fingers softly down his hair and back up, I felt a sigh of content leave his lips. Glancing up I saw the episode where SpongeBob and the group go to Atlantis. With my hand patting his hair I returned my attention back to my phone to see that I had a new one from Sydney saying "Okay, sounds great ill be over around 4 then."

Bobby: Hey babe, when is our date?

Bobby: Emma, Babe. Guess your asleep, let me know when our date is can't wait.

Chrissie: Okay, I have had it why aren't you replying.

Chrissie: Damnit Emmabell!

Chrissie: Sorry for yelling, best. Just be safe, know you probably have a good reason for not texting me back.

Mom: Hope school is going good, may extend our trip another month. Will keep you updated, we will bring you back some things as long as you keep up with school. Lots of Love.

Jace: Take care of him Emmie he needs it. There are things you do not know about and one day we will tell you so they become clear. Ryder and I are two people you can trust, some people are not who they seem.

Weird I thought.

Unknown Number 1: I would watch out for yourself and be careful, keep your friends close but your enemies closer. There is more to that day, but as you look for clues be careful whom you tell.

Unknown Number 2: I know you heard us in the hallway; the dolls were the first warning.

Okay, even scarier I thought before I decided to reply to the text messages.

Me to Mom: Okay mom sounds good; I am doing well so far in school nothing serious has happened. No worries enjoy your time on your trip give Benny a hug and kiss from me. Lots of Love.

Me to Chrissie: Hey Chris, I am sorry my head started to hurt really bad and left early once I got home I fell asleep.

Me to Bobby: Sorry head was hurting, I'll tell you later tonight about a time for our date. Oh and I am not your babe.

Me to Jace: What? Of course I will take care of him and I know you two are always there for me. Thank you.

Me to Unknown number 1: Who is this?

Me to Unknown number 2: Who is this?

Without waiting for them to reply I tossed the phone onto the bed beside me making sure not to hit Ryder.

"You okay Jingle Bells?" he asked me, his eyes still on the screen before us.

"Yeah, all is okay. Sydney is going to come over tonight though for some girl time at 4."

"That is good I rather you not be alone."

"Yeah of course"

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea? SpongeBob square pants!

I chuckled to myself at Ryder's child side, it was cute, and I continued to run my fingers through his hair a content smile on my face. Slowly I brought my finger up to the scar and traced my finger over it lightly, I felt him tense against my lap.

"Ryder?"

"Don't" was his only reply and that was when I knew there was more behind his blindness.

"But... Ry" I said softly as I felt him move off my lap and seat up with his back to me.

"Bell I said don't" his body was tense as he moved to get off the bed, without thinking I moved forward and caught him around the waist, pressing my face into his bare back.

"Don't go, please," I whispered against his back, I felt his body start to relax against my hold, and I felt the sparks tingle as he moved his hands to cover mine.

"I won't go anywhere Bell." I heard him say as he relaxed fully into my hold, I don't know how long we stayed like this, him sitting with his feet on the floor and me half on my stomach and half wrapped around Ryder's back. The moment was broken when his stomach rumbled against my arms, a smile was brought to my lips at his goofy tummy, and I knew he felt my smile because his body shook with laughter.

Letting go I slid next to him, grabbed his hand and pulled him up with me while dragging him through the door and down the stairs.

As I pulled Ryder along after me I noticed what he was wearing, just boxers, whoops I thought and realized he must be cold. But that thought disappeared after I felt the warmth of the house surround us, I laughed quietly to myself as I noticed he just let me pull him after me. We must of looked funny seeing as I was only in my shirt which didn't cover much and my underwear were hipsters, while Ryder only wore boxer shorts. Stopping in the kitchen I let his hand go while walking to the pantry to get the cereal boxes, my favorite mini wheat's and a box of applejacks for Ry. I heard the scrape of the bar stool as he sat down, his silence bugging me. Placing the boxes on the counter I reached into the cabinet to grab two bowls from the shelf, being short I had to reach up onto my tippy toes during this and I forgot I only had a shirt on. Reaching higher up I missed the sound of the stool moving backwards as he got up, that is until I felt a solid hard chest press against my back, his arm reaching up to grab the bowls for me. His body was pressed against me, his heat seeping through my shirt. I forgot that even though we grew up together, he was still a guy and well yea I didn't think about that and the effect I have on him.
Inhaling slowly I didn't move and neither did he when he placed the bowls in front of us, his hands softly circling my waist as he pressed his face into my hair. His breathing deep, mine completely stopped in that moment. He was so close, his warm body pressed against mine a sigh slipped from my lips as he pulled me tighter to him. I thought back to the moment in the closet at school and the moment in the bathroom before I answered the door, and then in this moment I knew whatever we wanted to happen would be ruined. Just as that thought slipped into my mind the door bell rang... Ding-Dong... I felt him tense against me though his arms wouldn't let go.

Ding-Dong, it went again, both of us didn't move until banging started on the door "Emma open this door now!" a voice screeched the voice of Chrissie James. I tensed this time in his arms as she kept banging on the door; I looked to the clock beside us and saw it was 9 am. With a sigh I untangled his arms from around me and slipped away from him, I looked at him, his jaw set in frustration and a tense closed off emotion took over him. He looked at me nodded to the still banging door and left me alone standing there as he went upstairs and into the safety of my room.

Not wanting Chrissie to see me without pants on though not like we haven't changed in front of each other before have sleep over's, it still was weird. Wrapping the blanket from the living room couch as I walked by it to the front door, my hand on the knob I twisted it open and stood before my best friend. Her green eyes were staring at me weirdly as an odd look crossed her face before it vanished behind a smile, it made me wonder was that smile even real.

"You have not replied to my texts or Bobby's," she said in a soft tone but you could hear the tinge of anger behind it.

"Sorry like I said this morning my head hurt and once I got home I fell asleep, I just woke up before you starting banging on my door like some crazy person." I leaned against the doorframe the door open wide behind me, letting her know I was alone, though I hoped she wouldn't want to go up to my room because that's where he was.

"Still I was worried sick about you, I would have had a headache too if I had to see a fight starring the infamous Ryder and Bobby. Everyone knows Bobby would of put him in the hospital if you hadn't stopped, I mean it must have been hard knowing Bobby touched that... that thing!" I just starred at her with a raised eyebrow, what the hell I thought? She flicked her hair over her shoulder then I noticed her eyes take in what I was wrapped in.

"You're with a guy!" she screeched.

"What the hell?!" I yelled back at her, my eyes wide open at what she just said, how could she possibly ask me that, well I mean Ryder was upstairs but he isn't just some guy.

"You have a shirt on and wrapped in a blanket, explain" she huffed in a prissy manner then crossed her arms over her tank top clad chest; I rolled my eyes at her attire. I mean it still was freaking cold in New York at this time of year; by the way she was also letting all my warm air out.

"No, I was not with a guy Chrissie. I was in the kitchen getting me breakfast when you started banging on my door, knowing it freezing outside I grabbed a blanket to cover myself with." I told her in a sharp tone, she looked me over while squinting her eyes at me in the process; she looked as if she was examining me.

"Fine" she said then placed her hands on her hips, her freshly manicured white tipped nails stood out as she tapped her fingers on her sides.

"What is it Chrissie?" I asked, wrapping the blanket around me tighter to keep the chill out.

"Well you see the thing is Emma, Ryder left school early yesterday and no one knows where he is" Her voice sounded accusing and a harsh tone to it.

"I don't know where he is." I told her, I watched her slowly because something didn't seem right at this moment, she didn't seem like my friend as she stood before me.

"Hmm, you sure Emmabell?" She took a step toward me, a predatory angle to her walk she was a bit closer to me but still feet away.

"Yes Chrissie, I have no idea where he is or why he went home early as well, though I know I would too if I was beat up for no good reason." I snapped.

She looked startled by my response and the tone I gave her, before it was whipped away and her normal look masked her face. We starred at each other for seconds where it felt like minutes, her green eyes accessing me. I looked her up and down, her jeans tucked into high heel boots and a baby blue tank top without a jacket on.

"Chrissie I would love for you to stay more but I was going to eat breakfast then start on the work I missed from my accident." At the mention of my accident I saw her eyes flare with hatred.

"Don't. You. Dare. Mention. That. In. Front. Of. Me." She said slowly and pronounced every word, I saw the hatred as clear as day in that moment.

"Fine, okay I won't. But Chris I'm going to eat then work some, ill text you I promise. I rather not be standing here freezing my butt off right now."

"You're right, I am sorry Emma. Just I can't stand him he is bad news; I still don't get how he didn't get expelled about what has been said about him." I knew the answer to that but she would never know.

"I get it Chris, I do. How about we do a girls day soon?" I asked her a smile on my face to break the tension, I saw her relax some and in that moment I saw her true smile.

"Oh, of course we should. It has been like forever since we have had one, oh how I cannot wait." She squealed happily, I swear for being the same age as Ryder at 23 she sure acted like she was only 18 forever.

    "I will text you" I told her, I moved from the door frame to give her a hug as she let go, I watched her skip to her Porsche- yes skip- before I shut the door behind me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.2K 336 32
Aria had a simple life, she had her friends, her brother, and her parents. At the time she thought life couldn't get any better; minus the guy she wa...
20.4K 730 13
This is currently get its first round (perhaps its only round) of editing! [COMPLETED] {There isn't anything rated r wattpad, what are you talking ab...
Dead If You Do By Katie

Mystery / Thriller

891K 51.7K 52
A campus thriller: suspense, murder & one handsome roommate. ***** When Haley B...
120 19 15
"I have a stalker!" Her brain screamed everyday but then there was no one behind her. What are these? Hallucinations? It was normal for Rachel to get...