The Royal Games

By AshlingWilliams

Just as I go to slip into my room, the mysterious stranger places a hand on my waist and leans over my should... More

The Royal Games
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37 - BONUS CHAPTER 1
Chapter 38 - BONUS CHAPTER 2
A/N - Goodbye and Vote
❗️NEW STORY❗️

Chapter 18

933 31 13
By AshlingWilliams

Recap:

With any luck, I'll be on a flight back tomorrow with my family. Fingers crossed. And I can put this all behind me. It's for the best.

To The Ball

It's almost time for the ball. And I hate to admit it but I'm nervous as hell. My family are in their hotel room getting ready for the big event, but Em stayed with me. After mum and and dad headed off and I filled her in about Stefan. I needed her advice.

"Aww sis." She hugs me and smiles sadly, "who'd have thought it - you and the Prince! What happened to the girl who wore joggers to the photo shoot and swore she's be the first sent home?" She wiggles her eyebrows teasingly and I can't help but chuckle, despite the pit settling in my stomach at the thought of being sent home tonight.

After a catching up for a little longer, Lily and Courtney knock on the door. Not that I can say I really know anymore how to to deal with Stefan than I did prior to our talk. But oh well, I missed Em and it was refreshing to just be able to sit and talk - laugh even - with her. "Miss, it's time for you to get ready for the ball! Sorry Miss..."

"It's ok, I'm going! See you in there sis." Em gives me a big hug before following heading out to get ready herself.

"Are you excited?" Lily looks at me kindly.

"Not really..." I mumble honestly. She raises an eyebrow at me but says nothing. Her and Courtney know a fair amount of what's been happening these last few weeks, obviously. Being my maids in waiting meant there wasn't a lot they missed or didn't know about my time at the palace. To their credit though, they haven't said anything to anyone else and neither have they ever directly broached me on the topic.

"Well why don't you have a quick shower and then this might change your mind." I see her gesture toward a large, white box with a big, ribbon bow tied on top. Intriguing...

Once I'm out the shower, Courtney pulls me into my seat at my dressing table and starts on my hair and make-up. She gives me a light layer of make up, but just enough for people to see I'm wearing some, and curls my hair letting it fall loosely around my shoulders. As a final touch, she secures a diamond tiara atop my head.

"A Tiara?" I touch it gently, watching my reflection.

"Of course my princess." Courtney smiles. "You're the belle of the ball. Here."

She brings the box over and places it on the bed. Walking toward it, I open the lid and gasp. Inside lies the most beautiful, exquisite ballgown I have ever seen in my life.

The fabric is soft, silky. The dress is a grey, off the shoulder one, with white flowers covering the bodice and trailing down the top of the skirt. The skirt is grey and fans out around me, giving me a puddle train (pictured below). And to match, under the dress in the box, are a pair of grey stiletto heels with white flowers to match this stunning dress.

"Cortney! Lily!" I gasp at my reflection. "You made this? You've outdone yourself." I feel like a queen.

"Well... much as we'd like to take credit..." I notice the two girls glancing at each other from the corner of their eyes, as if they were guilty. "This was actually a gift."

"A gift?!"

"Here." Lily passes me a folded note, smiling. Taking it, I open it to read -

My love,

I'm sorry.

You're my princess. Meet me at 00.00? By the fountain.

Yours,
Stefan x

My eyebrows involuntarily furrow in confusion. This makes no sense whatsoever. What is going on? After these last two weeks why buy me this dress? Why send me a love note? Why make the effort? What game does he think he's playing? The questions are flying around in my head but I'm interrupted by Courtney telling me it's time to go. Crumpling the note in my fist, I drop it into my bin on the way out. One thing I know for sure is I'm not going to meet him. I'm done. I have to be; before my heart breaks even more.

It would seem I'm almost late somehow? When I arrive at the double doors leading into the ball room, I see the green fabric of another girl's dress disappearing inside to the sound of a man's introduction: "Phoebe Kinsman". Then follows the sound of clapping. I hurry towards the door and prepare to be ushered in.

"Rosaline Princeton." The doors open and I begin my slow descent down the stairs. I hear some gasps at my dress and a cursory sweep of the crowd shows envy on almost every other girl's face - except Lexi that is. She looks at me with wide eyes before giving a cheesy grin and big thumbs up. "Looking hot!" She mouths.

I smile, grateful for the confidence boost, and my eyes flick over the rest of the room - only to lock with Stefan's. I nearly trip but manage to catch myself smoothly, as if it never happened. He looks impossibly handsome. His lips are parted and eyes wide, and those eyes are staring right into mine...

Eventually I reach the bottom of the staircase and the buzz in the ball room resumes, allowing me to break my eye contact with Stefan and retreat into the shadows. I make my way over to Lexi who's talking to one of the other girls - Amelia I think her name is? She's a short, slim girl with shoulder length brown hair and a smile that lights up her whole face. I haven't spoken to her much but whenever I have she seems nice enough.

"Hey guys!" I greet warmly.

"Oh - em - gee! Your dress! You look amazing! So much better than anyone else here!" Lexi gushes.

"Yeah you look beautiful!" Amelia adds quietly, offering me a small smile.

"Like seriously, Lily and Courtney are amazingggg!" Lexi squeals.

I decide to keep it to myself that this is actually a gift from none other than Stefan himself, for the time being anyway. I'll tell Lexi when we're alone later.

"Thanks guys, you look amazing too!" And I mean it, they really do. Lexi is sporting a gorgeous red gown and Amelia a stunning green one. Lexi's is strapless, with long slit on her right hand side and is covered in sequins from top bottom. While Amelia's is a halter neck with a slit up her left leg (both pictured below). Honestly they both look absolutely stunning, everyone does. And the sea of colours in here... amazing!

The party continues into the evening. I avoid Stefan who seems to manage to avoid me just as much. But I can't seem to stop my eyes which keep flitting over to him. He's currently dancing with Amelia, smiling at something she's saying. I miss that smile...

The King and Queen formally welcome our families at the beginning of the ball before leaving us to mingle, dance and be merry. I spend the evening with my family, Lexi and her family. The time ticks on, the people to leave are to be announced at 01:00, an odd time I know but hey I didn't arrange the schedule.

I have managed to avoid dancing with Stefan so far. And I intend to keep it that way. I don't want to hear what he has to say, and dancing with him just traps me. An unwilling body with open ears, unable to escape for 5 or so minutes. I sweep the room for Dylan, and am surprised when I see him talking to Damon. Yes, unfortunately Damon is here. I wait for them to finish before making me way towards him. He sees me and offers a wide grin.

We meet halfway at the edge of the ball room. "Dylan!" I beam, throwing my arms around him. "Hey Rosa." He smiles, returning the hug just as eagerly.

"Where have you been?" I pout. "I haven't seen you since - are you ok? Did he apologise? Did you know..." I trail off, not sure why I'm asking if he knows Stefan 'left' me. I say left, is that really the right term even? Were we even together? Was whatever we had something you could 'leave'?

"So many questions. Patience, I'll do my best..." he laughs. "I've been out on business. Actually in France. I can't really elaborate for now...' he bites his tongue, his eyes flicking to Stefan. I notice the action but choose not to bring it up and question it. "Yes he's apologised - repeatedly. He received some bad news that day and has been having a rough time ever since. Unfortunately, that day, it was just a matter of wrong place wrong time. He saw me with you, cuddled up and happy together, and it was just a trigger for the tidal wave of emotions that he had been building up that day. He's been in a bad way these past couple of weeks." Dylan sighs, his eyes returning to Stefan's, a far off cloudiness appearing in his pupils.

"Didn't know he cared." I scoff quietly. This is the man - no boy - who later that very night came to my room to give up on us. End us. Without so much as a warning, nor explanation, or even a tear.

"Rosie." Dylan sighs. "He is sorry - he cares for you. He - just give him a chance to explain." He offers quietly. "I know it's been hard and that's he's hurt you. You probably feel betrayed and confused. He was wrong and he knows it, but the least you can do is give him a chance to explain himself - at least." I sigh in annoyance. Everything Dylan says make perfect, logical sense. And yet, there is nothing I wanted less than to go and see Stefan, one to one, and allow him an explanation. What kind of person does that make me I wonder? "Just think about it. For me, please?" Dylan places a hand on my right shoulder and gives it a gently squeeze. Then, he looks up and seems to shift his attention. "I'll be back."

I stay facing where I am for a few moments, contemplating what he said and what I should do. When I finally turn in the direction he went, I see him standing with Lexi a big smile on his face as Lexi laughs at something that was said. I can't help but smile. Those two are practically made for each other; I really hope that they can make whatever it is they have bloom and flourish.

It's getting on - well past 11pm - and I'm stood with Em and Lexi. I sip my glass of champagne, laughing at one of Lexi's childhood stories, when I hear it. The first chime to signal the time... It's midnight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 1848

Hmm... do I or don't I? Should Rosa go meet Stefan or nah? What do we think people?

All the best,
-ashling-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.3K 1.1K 28
It's the year 2153. The world has fallen into a state of monarchy. Every country has a king and queen. And every country wants to increase their tie...
2.3K 401 12
SEQUEL TO ROYALLY BUMPED || After a whirlwind of a year, Mila Abbott is finally enjoying her life as a princess and mother. As wife to the new first...
135K 6.4K 57
Princess Charlotte is next to have her selection. But she doesn't want one. At first. Usually confident Charlotte, can't seem to get it together for...
1.1K 51 16
Ariel Peters has always had a rich life. Her family were royals, therefore she was set to marry another royal. However, a new deal is made when the n...