The Royal Games

By AshlingWilliams

Just as I go to slip into my room, the mysterious stranger places a hand on my waist and leans over my should... More

The Royal Games
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37 - BONUS CHAPTER 1
Chapter 38 - BONUS CHAPTER 2
A/N - Goodbye and Vote
❗️NEW STORY❗️

Chapter 19

974 32 4
By AshlingWilliams

Recap:

It's getting on - well past 11pm - and I'm stood with Em and Lexi. I sip my glass of champagne, laughing at one of Lexi's childhood stories, when I hear it. The first chime to signal the time... It's midnight.

Secrets

One

It's midnight.

Two

Stefan's note invades my thoughts ...

'My darling,

I'm sorry.

You're my princess. Meet me at 00.00? By the fountain.

Yours,
Stefan x'

No. Stop it. I won't go. I can't...

Three

But what if he can explain why... what happened? What if...

Four

His words ring in my head.

'You're my princess'
'Yours, Stefan.'

I'm his? He's mine?

Five

I can't go. I can't have him break my heart again. It's better I just leave now before I fall even harder. I have to think of me, and protect myself. My heart.

Six

I glance up to see none other than Damon staring straight at me, a devilish smile etched on his face.

Seven

Could it be him? Could Damon be the reason Stefan left my room the other day with his eyes as cold as stone, without so much as an explanation?

Eight

Surely I owe it to Stefan to hear him out atleast? That's what Dylan said right...

Nine

My feet start to move of their own accord. Before I know it I have excused myself, exchanged my empty glass of champagne for a new, full one and am exiting the ball room.

Ten

I leave the bright lights, music and chatter behind and make my way through the gardens. They're lit with fairy lights hanging from the trees and small lanterns lining the paths. It's beautiful. Breathtaking. The air is cool and fresh and the silence is welcoming. My shoes crunch the gravel as my feet take me to whom my heart longs to be with once again.

Eleven

I see him pacing by the fountain, he appears to be somewhat nervous...?

He looks so dashing in his suit, by far the most handsome man I've ever laid eyes upon. Wait no. Stop it Rosaline. What are you doing here? Why...

I'm about to turn around when my foot lands on a branch snapping it, cashing Stefan to whirl round.

Twelve

"You came." Stefan takes a deep breath. "You look-" he pauses.

My feet carry me towards him until we're stood just inches apart. Reaching out he gently takes my hand and glides his fingers up my arm, over my shoulder and gives my cheek a gentle caress with his thumb.

"I tried so hard..." his voice is a whisper, and he sounds so... broken? Before I can question it he closes the small gap between us and his lips crash onto mine. My body reacts without even thinking; I melt into his arms and wrap my arms around his neck, forgetting all the pain and anguish from the last few days. All that matters is him.

We part for air, breathing heavily as we try to catch our breath.

"Rose... I'm so sorry. I have treated you beyond badly and I hope you will forgive me. I don't deserve it but I know-"

"I forgive you." I whisper, leaning my forehead against his. My statement surprises me even.

"Y-you do?" He stammers, bringing his hands to hold mine. "What did I ever do to deserve you." He murmurs.

We stay like this for how long I don't know. It feels like an eternity yet no time, all at the same time. Eventually Stefan straightens up and pulls his head away from mine. "Come." He takes my hand and leads me down one of the paths leading to the fountain.

He leads me a quiet, secluded part of the garden. We sit on a bench, and I snuggle into his side. Wrapping his arm around me he lets out a long sigh.

"I owe you an explanation."

➰➰➰

When we return to the ball it's almost 01:00, time for the dreaded moment when the next 20 girls are sent home.

All the candidates in the selection stand together before the stage, in front of all the other guests, where the Royal family sit. Stefan stands and takes a step forward.

"Ladies, gentleman. On behalf of the Royal family, I would like to welcome you all and thank you so much for being here. We especially welcome the families of all the young ladies who have joined us these past few weeks." He smiles warmly at everyone, his eyes lingering on mine just a second longer than everyone else's.

"The time has come for me to send twenty of you fine ladies home. It is with much regret I do this, I have loved the time we have spent together and getting to know you all has been such a pleasure. So thank you."

After a brief pause, he begins to read the names out.

"Hannah Young." After he reads the last name, I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding. I guess I knew deep down that I wouldn't be sent home, but still. The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife.

Of course Lexi is still with me, she hasn't been eliminated. But then nor has Zoe unfortunately. Guess every pro has an equal con...

"Thank you everyone, and I'm sorry to have to see any of you leave. Enjoy the rest of the ball as best you can, for you will be leaving tomorrow with you families. Let the party resume!"

I sigh sadly, I can't believe all the families are leaving again tomorrow. So soon! I'll miss them... mum and dad place an arm around me each, giving a reassuring squeeze. I glance to my left and see Em talking to Alex. A smile lights up her face and she looks engrossed in something he's saying. Her left foot wobbles side to side on its heel as if she's nervous... could there really be something there? I smile to myself and enjoy the rest of the evening dancing with my family, Lexi and even Stefan a couple of times.

I don't know what the future will bring, but for now I'm going to have a goddamn good time.

➰➰➰

"Princess damn Matilda."

I'm sat in my room with Laura, Lexi and Em. The ball is over and it's something like 5am in the morning. Our families leave today at noon, and the four of us have decided to forfeit sleep in exchange for a little girl time. There's nothing really scheduled today other than our families departures anyway so there's plenty of time to catch up on sleep later.

I filled Lexi and Em in on my conversation with Stefan and Laura, of course, already knows what's going on, being a royal sibling and all.

Stefan told me that when he went to meet the King and Queen of France with his father, they had proposed a marriage between Stefan and their daughter Matilda. Tensions between England and France are tense at the moment to say the least, and this political alliance would prevent the outbreak of war (which looks to be increasingly likely). It seems the King has changed his mind from when he created the selection - he favours Stefan marrying into royalty to preserve the crown and its lineage. Like father like son... I did wonder why the King had arranged for Stefan to marry a lowly commoner after hearing Dylan's heart wrenching story.

But it seems the selection was something out of necessity - it meant Stefan could be married by 21 easily, thus preserving the monarchy and fulfilling the requirement for Stefan to become King. Due to the limited time, desperate times called for desperate measures I guess? As Stefan told me before, the law stating he had to marry by 21 in order to be eligible for the crown was only passed a year ago - not a long time at all to get married in, especially when one of those people is a Prince, destined to be King of England.

But now this opportunity to strengthen England and France's relationship, while keeping the Royal line Royal, has arisen the King has been swayed. He has accepted the union of Stefan and Matilda in exchange for a treaty of peace and the strengthening of trade between the two countries.

It would seem the King has decided to honour his side of the agreement he made with America on the face of it. England will provide America with financial riches, so as to preserve relations with my country and keep face, but all candidates in the selection will simply be eliminated. Once all have been eliminated and the selection is over, the engagement of Stefan and Matilda will be announced. Until then, the selection will continue as normal. It will just look as though no one is suitable... Everyone will be sent home one by one until no one is left. By the time Stefan and Matilda's engagement is announced, America will have received its financial riches and so the president nor anyone else in America will care enough to look into Stefan's speedy engagement - and marriage.

Laura is particularly bristling at the thought of an arranged marriage, especially with Matilda. "That girl is the most entitled snob I have ever met!" She groans. "I swear! She's just so obnoxious, I so don't want her as my sister in law. And Queen of England? No thank you!" Laura leans back on my bed, huffing in annoyance. "I'm sorry Rosa, this must suck for you."

Lexi gives me a little side on hug. I smile at her, patting her arm with gratitude. "What are you two going to do now?" She asks softly.

"Well... he already tried ending it with me. The other night when he came into my room-"

"Ooh the other night! Naughty naughty." Laura chips in smirking.

"Yeah check you out sis! Getting all the boys to your room, wink wink. And the royal ones no less!" Teases Em.

"No no not like that." I chuckle. "He actually came to end - whatever this is. He was so cold, and distant. He didn't even give me an explanation, just left." I frown at the memory. I know he was trying to protect me. Now. He wanted me to hate him, for it to be his fault. He was just doing what he thought was best - he was trying to save me I guess. And it almost worked... it would have worked actually had he just sent me home and never gifted me that gorgeous dress and asked to meet up.

But a lie is never better than the truth. I spent days punishing myself, torturing myself with all the whys and what ifs... I would much rather he have been upfront with me. But then had our roles been reversed, could I have told him what he had to tell me? Would I? That I'm betrothed to someone else and we can never be together... I don't know.

"Well boys are stupid." Em mutters, lightening the mood.

"Tell me about it!" Lexi chips in almost too quickly. I cast a sidelong glance at her, trouble with Dylan? I haven't seen him properly for a while to be fair, save at the ball. She catches my eye before quickly glancing away.

"So what now? I'm still rooting for you two, you know."

"Thanks Laura. We didn't really discuss that to be honest... all we know is it was torture for us both to stay apart, to act as if there's nothing between us." I sigh.

"Well I've never seen you happier, so I say go for it Rosie. Fight for him if he's the one that you want." Em looks at me seriously, a hand outstretched and resting on my shoulder. She gives it a quick squeeze before lowering her hand back into her lap.

"And I've never seen him happier." Laura chips in smiling.

The conversation moves on and we spend the rest of the early hours of the morning gossiping, sharing stories and playing games. It's nice, I've never really had a group of girls to hang out with before. It's always just been me and Em. But I like this. And I like Laura and Lexi. I smile as the three of them take it in turns to tell a funny childhood memory.

Mine was when I was four. I came home from playgroup and was bursting to tell my family about my day. So much had happened! We were eating dinner and I was babbling on, but mum told me not to talk with my mouth full. So, in line with her rule, I spat out the food in my mouth and continued talking as if nothing had happened. The look on my parents face was priceless, and Em just straight up burst out laughing. And then, to top it off, I ate the food I'd just spat up right after, as if that's not the grossest thing in the world.

Em is telling everyone a memory from our family's holiday to Disneyland. I tune her out because I remember that day. I come out looking so bad, so instead I let my mind wander and think back to what she said. 'Fight for him'.

Is that right? Is that what I should? There's no way I can win this fight though right... I'm not only going up against the King and Queen of England, but France's monarchy too. Should I really fight a battle I know I'll ultimately loose? And what about Stefan... how does he feel?

Will he fight for me...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word Count: 2277

Me: Mwhaha! I told you I'd get my own back!

Rosaline: *sniffling* How could you?! Why do you hate me.

Stefan: This sucks! You suck...

Me: Guess you better start being nice to me again then huh!

Keep up the voting and commenting my loves!
-ashling-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

324 28 44
𝓢𝓸𝓶𝓮𝓽𝓲𝓶𝓮𝓼 𝓲𝓽'𝓼 𝓫𝓮𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓲𝓷𝓰𝓼 𝓽𝓸 𝓼𝓽𝓪𝔂 𝓲𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓪𝓻𝓴 𝓽𝓱𝓪𝓷 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓸𝓶𝓮 𝓸𝓾𝓽 𝓲𝓷𝓽𝓸...
1.1K 51 16
Ariel Peters has always had a rich life. Her family were royals, therefore she was set to marry another royal. However, a new deal is made when the n...
2.2K 529 29
#12 in odd out of 4.3k stories. Royal army is after Sapphire after seeing her at ball, they are searching her because of her sapphire coloured eyes...
20 0 12
Being royalty is something that many children, and even some adults dream about It truly is ideal. Unlimited money, endless respect, loyalty. You cou...