Genesis ► GREY'S ANATOMY [1]

By apricitii

IN WHICH two sisters try to get their lives back on track, while working as interns in the same hospital. Wit... More

GENESIS
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FOUR
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE
CHAPTER TEN
CHAPTER ELEVEN
CHAPTER TWELVE
CHAPTER THIRTEEN
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
CHAPTER SIXTEEN
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN
CHAPTER NINETEEN
CHAPTER TWENTY
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
CHAPTER THIRTY
CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE
CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO
CHAPTER THIRTY-THREE
CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR
CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE
CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN
CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT
CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE
CHAPTER FORTY
CHAPTER FORTY-ONE
CHAPTER FORTY-TWO
CHAPTER FORTY-THREE
SEQUEL!

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

8.5K 278 96
By apricitii

"HAS HE TALKED TO YOU?" Callie asked as she looked over at Courtney, who was munching on an apple. The ortho resident had gone to see how Harold O'Malley had been doing and had run into George, who had pretended that she didn't exist. His father had seen the cold behavior and had tried to get George to greet Callie, but he wouldn't listen. Ever since that George had told Callie that he knew about her night with Mark, he had avoided her like the pest. He refused to even look at her, but Callie wasn't the only one that got treated like that though.

"No. I don't think that he's planning to in the near future. I'm sure that if he could kill me, he most definitely would. He hates my guts. According to him, I betrayed him by not telling him earlier about you and Mark." Courtney said, remembering the last moment that she had talked with George. It had been one of those moments where she had been speechless. She didn't know what she should say, because she felt like speaking would only make matters worse. However, it didn't matter if she said something or not, because there had been no way that the conversation would ever go in a positive direction. It was either worse or even worse.

No in-between.

Courtney had just finished a shift and had been on her way out, when George passed her by. (She had figured out a way to not create suspicion about her basically living at the hospital. Every day she pretended to leave the hospital, but then snuck in again.) At first, George wasn't going to say anything, but once he saw her smiling at something on her phone, he decided that she needed to know how much pain she had caused him. If she would've told him, everything would have turned out differently, he thought. To make it even more painful for him, the blonde girl had been wearing her favorite beige trench coat, which he had seen hanging on a chair in Callie's hotel room that one time. George had stopped in his tracks and had called out Courtney's name, which had made the girl turn around to look at him.

In the pit of her stomach, she had felt that something bad was going to happen. Something about that look on George's face had seen off to her. He didn't look like he normally did. There was this darkness that she sensed. She had shrugged it off as him being worried about his father, since she didn't know then that he knew that she knew. "You knew, didn't you?" George had said, his arms limply hanging beside his body. Courtney had been confused at first, not knowing what he was talking about. What was she supposed to know? Once he saw the confused look on her face, he had gotten even more upset. He thought that she was playing him, pretending to be clueless.

He had started talking about how childish it was for her to pretend to not know. He thought that she was better than that. Maybe she was not the person that he knew. He couldn't believe that she had changed that much since they started out as interns more than a half of a year ago. The moment that she figured out what he was vaguely talking about, rain had started pouring down from the sky. George didn't really care about the weather condition as he simply went on to express his hurt feelings. He was seriously doubting if Courtney had ever been his friend or had she simply been pretending as well? That little sentence had hurt the blonde, but that wasn't visible on her face. She couldn't believe that George would stoop that low. People passed them by as they watched the two interns fighting for the first time in their friendship – the fighting was mostly one-sided though, since Courtney did not but listen and bite the inside of her cheek to stop herself from butting in.

It had felt like one of those dramatic scenes from in the movies. Neither of them had an umbrella with them, so by the end of the conversation they were both soaked to the bone. After George had told her to not bother him again, he had left the girl standing all by herself in the rain. Her mouth had fallen open in shock. Her brain didn't seem to work, since it didn't send signals for her to start moving and get somewhere dry. If someone hadn't gotten to her, she might have stayed outside of the hospital for quite some time. Paisley Suen had walked into the waiting room to talk to the family of one of her patients, when she had seen a familiar blonde standing in the rain. After letting the family know the good news, she had grabbed an umbrella and led Courtney back inside.

They sat together, while Paisley tried to get Courtney to tell what had happened earlier. Courtney kept on insisting that she was fine and that she shouldn't worry, but Paisley told her each time that nobody stood like that in the rain with that look on their face for fun. They went back and forth for a while, until Courtney finally revealed that she might have just lost one of her close friends. Paisley had hugged her and didn't let go for a while, which bothered Courtney at first, but in the end she liked feeling someone's arms around her to comfort her. It was nice knowing that someone was there for her.

"I'm sorry, Court," Callie stopped the blonde from reminiscing. Courtney looked at the woman next to her, wondering why she was apologizing. "It's my fault that you got dragged into this whole mess and that you're fighting with George. It's all my fault, oh god. I'm so sorry."

Courtney quickly stepped in front of Callie and put her hands on Callie's shoulders, while looking directly into her eyes. "I'm going to say something and you're gonna listen very, very well, okay?" Callie nodded. "It's not your fault. None of this is your fault. You can't blame yourself for George hating me or us no longer speaking to each other. That isn't your fault! Sure, you sleeping with Sloan right after you broke up with George might not have been the best idea, but why should George get so mad at that? You guys were broken up and it's his fault that he didn't realize that. Why should he get so mad about something that happened when the two of you were no longer an item? Just because someone doesn't realize when they get broken up with doesn't mean that the relationship is still going. Don't blame yourself, okay? None of this is your fault and I don't want you thinking otherwise."

"Some days I think that I really don't deserve to have a friend like you."

"Maybe you don't," Courtney said with a smile on her face, letting out a laugh. Those small little moments were the light in her life. They made her realize, for just a second, that maybe life wasn't so bad. Callie slapped her shoulder as she rolled her eyes, a smile on her lips. Courtney rubbed her hand over the sore spot as they continued laughing. "I don't think that anyone deserves to have me in their life."

"Someone has a big head over here," Callie laughed as she put her arm around the girl's shoulders. "But honestly, Courtney, more people need to realize how lucky that they are to have you. I wouldn't know what to do without you. You have my back no matter what."

"Are you going to start crying and yell out how much you love me?"

"You wish. Maybe you don't deserve to have me. I don't really like people with egos bigger than a house." Callie joked as they stopped in front of the entrance leading into the locker room.

"Are we going to forget about Mark Sloan? His ego is way bigger than mine. A couple of days, I saw him staring at his reflection in a glass door. Oh, and then the other day, he was telling himself how good he was looking that day. I honestly thought he would start making out with his mirror. That whole thing is imprinted into my brain now. It was horrible, I'm honestly not kidding here. I have even more nightmares now."

"You have nightmares?"

Courtney cursed herself for letting it slip. "What? No, I don't?"

"Yeah, you do. You just said that you have even more nightmares now."

"You must of heard that wrong, because I don't."

"Sure, sure. Whatever helps you sleep at night," Callie looked at her friend, suspicious. She decided not to press the issue, because she didn't want to make Courtney upset. The girl already had enough on her mind and she didn't want to push her over the edge. Callie then saw George standing by his locker. "I think that it might be best if I just go, because if George catches me, I'm sure that he'll think that I'm stalking him or something. You should've seen his face this morning."

"Be lucky that you don't have to see him every day. Whenever we're in the same room at home, he gets up and leaves after looking at me like I killed his cat. I think that he hates me more than he hates you," Callie was about to apologize again, but Courtney quickly stopped her. "Don't you dare! I'm going in now, because if I see you try to apologize to me again, I will hurt you."

"Love you, Court!"

"Love you too, Calls!" Courtney said as she walked into the room with her back facing her fellow interns. Luckily for her, she missed the glare that George sent her way once he heard her saying goodbye to Callie. The blonde walked to her locker and looked at George, who slammed his locker shut, not sparing her a glance. Courtney sighed as she looked at herself in her small mirror that hung in her locker. Her eyes looked a bit dead, like she hadn't slept in days, which was partly true. Her nightmares were still there and were still causing her to lose lots of sleep at night.

"Maybe she'll be on "look but don't touch" patrol too. At least I'll have some company." Courtney heard Izzie say. The girl was talking about Cristina, who had revealed the truth about what had been going on between her and Burke. After almost losing a patient during surgery and getting sprayed blood on her, Cristina had decided that it was time to tell the Chief about the tremors that Burke had been having ever since Shepherd had operated on him after the gunshot.

"Whatever she gets I hope it's bad. Really bad." Alex joined the conversation. Courtney understood where they were all coming from. She understood their anger. But on the other side, she also understood why Cristina had done what she did. She had just wanted to protect Burke. Sure, Cristina had done some things that were very questionable, but she didn't deserve all the hate that she got. Burke was her superior and he didn't say anything as well. If Cristina hadn't said anything, would he have ever fessed up about his tremor?

Meredith tried to defend her best friend. "She made a mistake, we all make—"

George quickly interrupted her. "A mistake? She was going to let Burke, Burke with the shaky hand operate on my father."

Courtney had had enough. She slammed her locker shut to make it even more dramatic. The eyes of her fellow interns fell on her as she approached them. She stopped right in front of George. "I think that you're all forgetting that Cristina fessed up about what was going on. Cristina of all people went against her boss, boyfriend, whatever, and told the Chief their dirty little secret. Don't you all realize how hard that must have been? And like Mer said, people make mistakes. Just stop acting like she deserves to be burned at the stake. Besides, George," She looked at him as she crossed her arms. "You're so angry with her for letting Burke operate on your father, but don't you think that Burke himself should have known better? Cristina isn't his mother that says what he can and can't do. He's old enough to realize when things are going to far."

"Here we go again. You're never on my side, huh?"

"What does choosing sides have to do with this? We're not teenagers in high school anymore, George. We're grown adults." Izzie, Meredith and Alex were exchanging glances as they watched the two fight again. Alex was trying to hide a proud smile as he was watching his best friend be a badass again. If he could, he would be cheering her on, because he loved it whenever she got brutally honest with people.

"Yeah, yeah, fine. Got it. You can go back to backstabbing people again, because you seem to be best at that." Courtney shook her head, not believing that George had stooped so low again. Alex was trying his hardest to not jump at George and punch him in the face. The two best friends shared a look, before Cristina walked in the room and all eyes followed her to her bench.

"Could you stop looking at me like that? It's creepy, and makes you look like you haven't been fed." Cristina said, once she noticed everyone's eyes watching her every move. Everyone scattered and went to meet their resident, while Meredith stayed behind. George was walking at the front with Izzie by his side. They were talking about something, but Courtney couldn't hear about what since the volume was quite low. She was with her mind somewhere else as she walked beside Alex, who had to grab her by her arm a couple of times to make sure that she didn't bump into people.

"If I wanted to see a zombie, I would've watched a movie. I'm not really interested in seeing one so up close." Alex glanced at his friend, who looked numb. She barely had any expression on her face and her eyes were dazed. She looked odd, not like the girl he had gotten to know over these past few months.

"Huh?"

Alex sighed. "What is up with you, Courtney? This isn't you. It looks like you've lost your fire. Earlier, I thought that I got the old you back, but apparently not. Why won't you tell me what's going on?"

"I don't know how many times I have to tell people this, but I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me, got it? Do I have to tattoo that on my forehead or something? I'm slowly getting sick of people asking me that over and over." Courtney replied, slightly annoyed. She just wanted to catch a break and be left alone.

"Maybe that means something, don't you think?" Alex muttered under his breath, which Courtney didn't catch. She squinted her eyes at him, suspiciously, but couldn't exactly talk to him about it since they were doing their rounds. They followed all the others into George's dad's room. Cristina had joined the group earlier without Meredith and stood in the back. The moment that Hahn entered the room every intern, except for two, started fighting to get to be her intern.

Bailey shocked everyone the moment that Yang escaped her lips. Even Courtney had to admit that she hadn't seen that coming. Knowing Bailey, she had thought that Cristina wouldn't see the inside of an O.R for at least a couple of weeks. Apparently she was wrong, but she did have a feeling that Bailey had some ulterior motive. She was quickly proven right when their resident led the remaining four to another patient's room.

"If you three thumb suckers don't stop whining I swear I will not show you what's behind this door," Bailey looked at Alex, Izzie and George, who hadn't been able to shut up about how unfair it had been. She had noticed how quiet Courtney had been, but she didn't really think much of it. The blonde had never the type that whined about not getting a surgery or complain about someone else getting a more interesting one. "And trust me. You want to see what's behind this door."

The door went open and they were faced with adult conjoint twins trying to go to the bathroom. Courtney's eyes were wide as she watched them move together. "Holy shit." She mumbled, hoping that the two patients didn't catch that. She didn't want to seem rude.

"So who thinks Yang got the better case?" Everyone stayed silent. "That's what I thought." The twins eventually got back in their bed, while the room started becoming more crowded than before. At first, the Chief entered to greet the patients. Then, seconds apart, Sloan and Shepherd walked into the room.

After talking with the patients and meeting the reason why they were going through with such a dangerous surgery, Bailey was talking with her four interns outside, who were again fighting over who got to scrub in and who wouldn't. She sighed, wondering why she got such annoying interns. "Quiet, all of you."

"We're all on the case, right?" Alex asked. Once Bailey said that they were, everyone seemed to be ecstatic and were letting out yes's. Courtney smiled, well she tried to, as she was fidgeting with her sleeve. She was happy that she got to scrub into such a big case, but she wasn't looking forward to working with a couple of people. You had the guy that seemed to love getting under her skin and another one that hurt her sister's feelings. Then there was the colleague that hated her guts and the other who supported said colleague.

"So this is the crack team?" Mark Sloan appeared. He was looking for an intern and Courtney hoped that he would pick anyone but her. The moment that Bailey said that he could choose one of them, his eyes landed on Courtney, who was glaring at him. His eyes stayed on her for longer than she wanted and she was already mentally preparing herself for having to be Sloan's intern for the day. However, he ended up surprising her at the last second. "I think I'll take the one who doesn't speak or touch or breathe."

"Oh, thank god." The blonde mumbled as she watched Sloan leave with Izzie by his side.

☤☤☤

"Damn it!" Derek fumed, after breaking something inside the model. Everyone that was going to participate in this case, which was a lot, had gathered in an operating room where a model simulating the upcoming surgery was lying on the table. This way they would be figuring out how they were going to handle it, but the neurosurgeon didn't seem to be on board with the whole thing. He was very hesitant and if he could he would choose not to operate on the two patients. "It's going to be a lot more fragile in the body. It's one thing if this is a life and death situation where this is all we can do to save them. But these people are fine. This isn't worth the risk."

He threw the tools on the table and stormed out of the room. Everyone watched him leave and didn't know what to do. This wasn't how he usually behaved. Courtney knew him long enough and had seen him operate many times to know that Shepherd was someone who believed that he could do anything. He didn't believe in the impossible. "Come on, people, let's get moving. This hospital doesn't stop working, because of this. Get back to work!" Richard Webber said, motioning for people to get going. Once the first person left the room, everyone followed.

While Courtney followed the crowd outside, she looked back to see Webber in deep conversation with both Sloan and Bailey. People bumped into her, since she had stopped moving. "What the hell. Can't she watch out?" She heard someone mutter, after they hit her shoulder with theirs. She would snap back, but she was too focused on trying to figure out what they were saying. It looked like the Chief was very disappointed or possibly angry. She didn't really know. Mark looked like he was sticking up for his sort of friend and tried to diffuse the situation, maybe? She didn't really know what was going on with Bailey, since she only saw her back.

Even though Mark had gotten used to people staring at him, it didn't mean that he didn't feel their eyes on him. He glanced away from the two people he was talking to and locked eyes with Courtney. It lasted for a couple of seconds, before Courtney turned away. Once he saw her disappear from his view, he focused back on the conversation he was a part of. Courtney on the other hand tightened her ponytail and walked away from the operating room at a pretty fast pace.

Somewhere in the hospital, not far from where the blonde was, Meredith was searching for her. She needed to warn her that Susan and their half-sister Molly, who had just given birth, were in the hospital. She didn't want Courtney to be overwhelmed or surprised if she ran into Susan. Luckily for them, their father wasn't roaming the hallways. Neither really wanted to have any contact with the man or his family, unless it was really necessary. Meredith perked up once she saw that familiar head of blonde hair walking towards her.

"Courtney!"

Courtney's ocean blue eyes left the pale floor and searched for the person calling her name. She saw her sister, almost, running towards her and she let out a sigh. She wasn't really in a talking mood that day. She wanted to sit somewhere quiet or maybe operate on someone. If she could, she would avoid anyone and everyone that day, but it didn't seem like it was in the cards for her. "What now?" Courtney asked, once Meredith stood in front of her.

"I need to talk to you and it's pretty important."

"Isn't it always?" Courtney mumbled, looking away.

"Courtney, come on, don't be like this."

"I can be however I want. This is my life after all. Everyone keeps saying that I'm different than I was before and that I'm not like this, but what if I am? Maybe I have been pretending to be someone else this whole time. Ever thought of that? You all should be a bit more supportive instead of constantly asking why I'm suddenly acting differently. Is accepting me for who I am too much to ask?" Courtney snapped, reaching her limit. She was walking on a very thin line and was about to fall off. She knew that she should stop talking or she would spill something about what was going on, but she couldn't. Her mouth kept moving, while her brain was trying to get it to shut up.

"I am always there for everyone! Always. There is nothing that I wouldn't do for my friends and family and they all know that too well. But where is my support, huh? When I am having a hard time, nobody is there. You know what I get? People telling me that something is wrong with me and that they miss the old me. Don't you know how much that hurts? Where is my endless support? Why isn't anyone telling me that it's going to be okay? Why is no one standing by my side!? I want people to realize how much I'm hurting inside without having to tell them! Why is no one here for me? Why can't no one stop asking if I'm fine and just comfort me? Asking if someone is fine does nothing!" The youngest Grey was trying to hold back her tears. The oldest was trying to hold her, but Courtney kept slapping away Meredith's arms.

"You know that I have difficulties telling people when I'm struggling, so why aren't you here for me, Mer? I'm always here for you, even when you don't ask, but—" Courtney held in a loud sob. "Why can't you do the same for me? Why are you suddenly backing away from me? You might think that I need some space, because that's what you have always done before, but maybe that's not what I need. Maybe, just maybe, I need someone to be there for me and help me get through it all." With the end of her sleeve, she wiped away the tears that were streaming down her face. People that passed by looked at her with weird looks on their faces, wondering what was going on. There was no doubt that Courtney crying in the hallway was going to be Seattle Grace's newest gossip.

Not wanted to be stared at any longer, Courtney turned away from her sister. "Court! No wait! Susan is—" Meredith yelled, but couldn't finish her sentence since the blonde was already too far to ever hear the end of it. As she was running to the nearest on-call room, Courtney kept wiping away the tears, but they kept on coming. To add more onto her plate, she spotted Susan Grey in the distance, who luckily didn't see her. However, for Courtney, it felt like the world was disappearing right under her feet.

Making sure that she wasn't seen by Susan, she dashed away and sprinted past the nurses' station, where she missed someone chatting up one of the nurses. That wasn't the case for him, though. Mark Sloan had smiling at the pretty nurse in front of him, but that didn't mean that he hadn't seen the blonde running past him. At first, he thought that something was going on with a patient of hers, but that was quickly debunked. "Did you know what I just saw?" Mark heard someone nearby say. "You know Meredith Grey? Well, I just saw her with her sister and the poor girl was crying her eyes out. Did something happen with Ellis Grey?"

That sparked his interest and made him stop his flirty conversation with the nurse in front of him. He said that he would see her later and went to search for a certain blonde in emotional distress. He hoped that she would still be on this floor or else his search would become a bit harder than anticipated. Luckily for him, Courtney had entered the first on-call room that she had seen. Enough people had seen her cry already and she didn't want to make the amount even higher. She hated crying in front of people, because she thought that it would make her weak. The moment she had slammed the door shut, she had sat down on the bed with her back leaning against the wall. Her arms hugged her knees, while she was rocking herself, trying to comfort herself since nobody was around to do it for her.

She tried to control her sobs, but it wasn't working. They kept coming and weren't planning on going anywhere soon, no matter how many times she told herself to stop crying. How disappointed would her mother be if she saw her like this? Her head was buried in her arms, when she heard the door opening. She didn't have the power in her to yell at the person to go away. She hoped that they would take the hint and leave her alone. She heard the door closing again and felt relieved that she was alone again, but that wasn't the case. The person hadn't gone anywhere, on the contrary they approached her and crouched down near the bed.

She lifted her head and was faced with Mark Sloan sitting at her bedside. It didn't really make her feel any better. It even had the opposite effect. She cried even more, even though she was trying to hold it in so that he wouldn't think that she had gone mental. He didn't say a word and didn't move an inch. "Can... Can you... go, please?" She stuttered, but he shook his head. "Can't you... you see that... I...I...want to be alone,...asshole."

"Instead of trying to insult me, stop talking and focus on your breathing. That might help you calm down and then you can insult me all you want." Mark spoke up, sounding sincere, which freaked her out a bit. She was used to his sexual comments or banter and had forgotten that he might actually be able to be a nice person. She gave him a weird look, at which he rolled his eyes at. She tried to follow his advice, but her breathing was still ragged, her heart was still beating way too fast and tears were still streaming down her cheeks.

Courtney didn't know how to calm down anymore.

Then, suddenly, he held out his hand. She looked at it and then at his face. She didn't really get what she needed to do. Mark sighed, "I should get an award for this," He grabbed her hand and pulled her away from the wall, so that she was closer to him. Her feet were at the edge of the bed and she realized that he could see her face clearly now. She tried to cover her red and puffy face with her only free hand. He still hadn't let go of the other one. "Look at me, come on," He pulled away her hand from her face. "Just look at me and breathe with me, got it?"

Courtney looked him in the eyes and with her hands in his, she mirrored his breathing. If he breathed in, she did as well. Once he breathed out the air, she followed his move. As time passed by, her heart started beating at its regular pace. Her breathing was back under control and her tears had dried up. However, it seemed like they were stuck in a daze, because they wouldn't break eye contact and their hands stayed interlinked. They were completely in sync. Courtney was the first one that seemed to return. She quickly let go of his hands and felt hers getting colder. She awkwardly coughed and looked away.

"You didn't have to do that, you know? I would've calmed down eventually." Courtney broke the silence, while rubbing her hand.

Mark scoffed, shifting his position on the floor. "From where I was sitting that didn't really look like it was gonna happen. You should've seen yourself, Grey. I thought I was looking at the Niagara Falls for a minute there."

"And here I thought that you were actually capable of being a nice person. The second that I stop crying, you're back to insulting me again."

"Oh, wait a minute, are we forgetting that you called me an asshole, while you were full on breaking down? You aren't one to talk, you hypocrite," Mark smiled once he noticed the corners of her lips turning up. He was glad that she was back to smiling again, because her being that upset was a weird sight to see. He wondered what would have happened if he hadn't decided to follow her. "I hope you realize how special you are now. I don't go around doing this for other girls, you know."

"Aw, wow, how sweet of you. I'll treasure this moment for the rest of my life," Courtney joked, feeling better by the second. "How did you find me actually? And why did you even stay to comfort me? Out of everyone, you were the one that I expected the least to do this sort of thing. Well, you might be standing a bit higher than George."

He couldn't exactly explain it himself. After hearing that she was crying, he didn't really think much of what he should or shouldn't do. The only thing that he knew was that she was probably all alone, crying her eyes out. He just followed his instinct. What did this mean though? Maybe this showed that they meant more to each other than they both knew. The bond that they shared would only grow from here on out. Their friendship would continue to grow and who knows, maybe something more could be in their future? "I was scoring myself a hot date, when I saw you running by. Then I heard some random people talking about how you had been crying in the hallway. So, being the good Samaritan that I am, I figured that you needed someone. You owe me, by the way."

"Oh, thank god, here I was fearing that you had some ulterior motives." Courtney said as she redid her messy ponytail.

"Did you think that I was here because I like you, Grey?" Mark laughed, while Courtney shook her head in amusement. "You're not really my type, sorry to break your bubble. I'm not really into women who like to steal presents from little children. That's just going a bit too far. If you drop that, then we can talk about doing something very enjoyable late at night." He winked at her.

The blonde rolled her eyes. "Yeah, okay, now I'm regretting bumping you up to friends status. Losing friends seems to be a recurring thing these days. Eh, I'll get over it. Why don't you leave? I'm pretty sure that there are some lovely women out there who are dying to get your attention."

He seemed to think about it for a second, before shaking his head. He then started tying the laces of her shoes, which apparently had gotten loose. "I'm good right here. I can't leave my only friend alone, now can I? I'm going to be the best friend that you have ever had. Derek will be so jealous."

"Uh, alright then. I'm just gonna ignore that."

Eventually Courtney left the bed and sat down beside Mark, since it was easier to talk that way. She was going to leave, but he told her that it was clearly visible on her face that she had just cried. He suggested that they wait it out there, so that people don't start asking her questions about why she had been crying. Courtney ended up agreeing. They talked for a while and it felt strangely nice. Mark never once asked what had made her break down. He even did everything in his power to steer away the conversation if they went down that line. He never once asked if she was doing fine. He simply talked with her, not expecting anything from her.

Then, both of their pagers went off, alerting them that the surgery of the conjoined twins was about to start. Mark stood up first and took Courtney's hand in his to help her get up. It felt all very weird to Courtney, who wasn't used to this version of Mark. They were about to walk out of the door, when the blonde stopped. "Wait. Maybe we should leave separately. I don't want people to get the wrong idea."

"Wrong idea?" Mark looked around and seemed to get where she was coming from. "Does it really matter if they see us together? Even if we do the whole waiting five minutes to leave after the other thing, we're still coming out of the same room. People will notice anyway. Besides even if they make a big thing about it, you're not the worst person that I could be paired with."

"Should I feel honored again?"

"Yes, now come on."

☤☤☤

HELLO!

I'm back with more Martney content everyone! You had to wait a couple of weeks, but I hope it was worth it. I got used to university again, so I hope that I can get my writing schedule back on track. I wrote most of this chapter today and I couldn't really wait so I even published it today hahaha. It was originally going to be a bit longer, but I decided to just end where I end because it felt natural to me.

This chapter was heavy, wasn't it? A lot of things happened to my sweet child Courtney and it hurts putting her through it. Also, let's not hate on George here. The boy is going through a lot himself and this wasn't something that he had seen coming. In the show, he was already super angry with Callie, so I figured that if a friend knew about it, that it would be even worse for that person. Courtney is really going through it all during the same time, my poor child. I just hate putting her through this.

But let's talk about some more happy things: MARK AND COURTNEY!! I just get so happy writing those two together!! I think that this chapter is really the start of their friendship and it will grow from here ;) Also, I hope that none of you feel like things are being rushed between them or something. The way that I see it is that those two know each other for maybe almost two months now, so it's not like they know each other three days or something. They have been growing closer behind the scenes if I can call it that, hahaha. Also, with some people you can connect faster than with others, so I hope that what happened didn't seem like it happened out of nowhere or out of character for Mark. At this point, they care about each other and I feel like Mark would be there to comfort his friends even though they haven't known each other for years or something. 

I'm going to end here or I'll keep explaining things forever. Please let me know what you thought of this chapter!

Lots of love

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

529K 9K 62
" According to Greek Mythology, humans were originally created with four arms, four legs, and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus separa...
38.9K 1.7K 13
Join Margo Shepherd as she navigates her way through her new home Seattle Grace Hospital Grey's Anatomy | Season 1- TBD MARK SLOAN x OC SLOW BURN #...
165K 5.7K 29
IN WHICH Courtney Grey starts her residency and has to be a mentor to four unknowing interns, while figuring out that a certain someone means more to...
1.6M 27.2K 156
Fresh from a divorce from Plastic Surgeon Mark Sloan, Sky Rivers finds a new start at Seattle Grace Memorial Hospital. But the past eventually catche...