Lean On Me

By CaviarandCigarettes

News of the World has premiered throughout England receiving rave reception. But record releases always mean... More

Flying the Friendly, Foul-Mouthed Skies
Sin City of Angels
American Hospitality
How to Talk Dirty
The Purple Tart
Champagne and Socialites
The Rapture
Watch Your Tongue
Agony and the Ecstasy
One of Those Girls
California Dreams
In Case of Dork: Turn Around
The Familiar Things

The Cactus Sentiment

1.2K 36 27
By CaviarandCigarettes

"Come on. We need to get downstairs." John spoke softly to her, cupping her shoulder in his palm.

 "No." Was Veronica's flat reply. They were silent for a moment until John took a deep breath.

 "You said...some truly terrible things, Veronica. And to your best friend." John tried his best to be at his most logical.

 "I'm not talking about this, John. I'm not talking about anything. For Christ’s sake leave me alone." She snapped and then the tears began to pour down her face for seemingly no reason. She buried her head in the pillow and wept. John could feel his heart in his throat as he put his head on her shoulder.

 "I'm starting to hit my limit." He choked to her, squeezing her arm. "I love you, Veronica. You're the best wife and mother any man could ask for but I don't know how to help you anymore. You need to talk to someone because...because I can't help you and it's obvious." He stopped, feeling a tear in his own eye.

 "I'm still me. You're still you. I know this...this...thing...has a hold on you and you're spiraling in its grip. I know I didn't help matters either. I can’t tell you that I’m sorry enough and sweetheart, I can’t tell you how difficult it is to watch you in so much pain, unable to help you through it.” They were very quiet again, Veronica not responding and John’s head remaining on her shoulder. The clock ticked away in the room. “Well…I’m going. I’m going with everyone else. You’ll regret it, Veronica. He was quiet again, rubbing her shoulder and kissing it lightly. He stared at her as she sobbed into the pillow. “If I could only reach you…” he mumbled to her.

 “I do love you, John.” She wept, face down and her voice muffled by the pillow. He rubbed her shoulder again and got up from their bed. It was nearly 7:30 and he couldn’t believe he was actually leaving the hotel without her. John watched her weeping form all the way to the door and exhaled tremendously once out of the suite. He rubbed his eyes wishing to god Veronica would once again become the woman he knew and loved. He was determined to not let her current state affect his ability to have a magnificent time at the birthday bash tonight. John arrived last of the seven in the hotel bar. He wiped his eyes and put on his best LA smile.

 “Oh my god…you look gorgeous, birthday girl!” John leaned over and kissed me, putting his arms around me. I looked up to him.

 “Aww, you’re here! My face suddenly dropped. It dawned on me that my best friend wasn’t coming to my birthday party. “Where’s Veronica?” I asked quietly. John shook his head. I could tell that I had hit a bit of a nerve.

 “I couldn’t get her to join me…I tried.” He whispered. I gave John a look to let him know that I at least partially understood. I could see nothing but hurt in his eyes. I desperately felt the need to talk to John but right now wasn’t the time. Honestly, I was too excited and very party ready in my plum strapless jumpsuit. I was decked out in gold everywhere, including my gold-strappy Manolos that I whipped out for this precise occasion. I reached my hands out to John to give him a much needed hug, which he immediately hugged me back. “Happy birthday…” he said softly.

 “Okay, darlings! Enough of that! Time for another round of drinks aaaaand. Mary! Has something!” Freddie sing-songed motioning to the bar tender for another round.

 “Happy birthday, Lydia!” Mary said, handing me a card.

 “Oh my! Look at this. I opened the envelope, gasping as I opened up the card. “Mary! This…is a picture of a potted cactus! Did you get me a potted cactus for the pool!?” I asked excitedly. The potted cactus. As far as I was concerned, it was one of the most sincere and thoughtful gifts one could give and receive. Why? It’s simple it’s very hard to kill a potted cactus. The damn things live through nearly anything, therefore every time you see it you’re forced to think of whomever gave you the bloody thing…because it just won’t die! You get pricked by it every time you even attempt to water it and then you end up swearing making you say things ‘damn you Mary for buying me a fuckin’ cactus!’ I was delighted. “Awww, thank you sweetheart! I’ll put it on the patio near the pool! Oooh what’s this. I gasped at the other picture. The complete works of Isaac Asimov!?” I was quite happy; he was my favorite science fiction author.

 “What!? I thought you got her the Kama Sutra? That’s what you were looking at!” Freddie said, rather shocked to see that Mary had obviously changed her mind.

 “I know! But then I saw Asimov and I couldn’t not get her that!” Mary insisted. “The cactus and the Asimov works will be waiting on you when we get back home.”

 “Well, thank you. And thank you for not trying to overthrow Mary’s ideas!” I said to Freddie.

 “You’re welcome, darling! Now! Roger’s turn! Come on lovelies! We have a limo outside waiting on us!” Freddie clapped his hand together.

 “Oh my god! A limo!? We’re taking a limo to Hollywood!? Chrissie squeaked.

 “Well, yeah. I think the driver is sick to death of us after all the bitching we did after the record signing.” John  said, managing to give us a smile.

 “Okay, here. Chrissie wrapped this…you know I’ve never pick out paper with butterflies on it.” Roger confessed, handing me something. I examined the thin, flimsy almost calendar-like item. I hadn't a clue what it could be but I did know that the butterfly paper and the purple bow screamed Mary. It was apparent that Roger had some help. I glanced over to Roger who had this intense look of anticipation on his face as if this were the greatest birthday gift ever. Unfortunately, Freddie had that same look in his face...oh god. I took a sip of my cocktail before pulling off the purple bow.

 I could feel Roger put an arm around my back, which only made me more nervous as to what I was going to find when pulling the paper away. I tore into one side, not yet truly recognizing anything. As I ripped into it further, I let out a shriek of delight so loud that it startled the bartender and the other patrons of the bar and restaurant area. I didn't really care because I was over the moon at what was wrapped inside.

 “OH MY GOD! OOOOOOOOH MY GOD! ROGER!” I put my hands over my mouth as I reacted much more strongly than I probably should have. It was exactly what I wanted for my birthday and I had talked about it for months and months and they hadn’t yet been released to dealers in the UK: A 1978 chocolate brown Corvette Stingray T-top convertible with a light tan leather interior. When I learned that Roger and I were going to the United States, all I could talk about was the Corvette, the ultimate American performance car. I wanted one so badly and it was apparent by the wrapped up Corvette booklet-style brochure that Roger had bought me one.  I threw my arms around him, overjoyed and not knowing how to act any other way aside from near hysterical.

 Mary and Chrissie gasped. “Roger, are you quite sure that isn’t a gift for you?” Chrissie asked, smiling at my delight and the way I was nearly choking Roger in my embrace.

 “No! No this isn’t for me! This is all Lyd’s talked about. I’m sure she’ll let me drive it though.” He gave Chrissie a wink.

 “I was there when he told the sales person he would need a right-hand drive car sent directly to England! Every thing is all topsy-turvy on these American  roadways!” Freddie grinned. I looked at Roger, a pure look of disbelief and excitement in my eyes.

 “He’s right. I got it ordered just the way you wanted it and it should be arriving in at least six weeks, may take ten.” He said. I felt like I was about to explode from this news. I didn’t even have to say thank you and the I love you’s were already understood in our expressions.

 “Were you surprised?” he asked, kissing my cheek and pulling me tighter into him. I shook my head a bit frantically.

 “I’m still surprised! I can’t believe this! I’m still shaking and…OH MY GOD!” I threw my arms around Roger again so overwhelmed that he knew exactly what I wanted for my birthday. He was always so good at these things.

 “I call first ride with you!” Freddie said enthusiastically. I laughed at him knowing good and well that Roger and I would take that 500 horsepower engine through the countryside before Freddie even got near the thing.

 “No! Take me first!” Mary insisted, shoving Freddie out of her way.  I laughed again, but also felt a slight moment of melancholy as I looked to John; knowing that if Veronica were here…if she were here…if she…but she wasn’t. he closed his eyes and shook his head at me quickly.

 “Come on! We have a limo waiting on us!” he finally said.

 “What on earth am I supposed to order at McDonald’s?” Brian asked, sitting his empty glass on the bar and standing up.

 “Oh come now, darling! There are so many choices!” Freddie said, putting some money onto the bar to pay for our drinks.

 “Wait! Wait! Give me your camera and hold up your brochure with Roger! Stand in front of the bar!” Chrissie insisted, taking our camera to capture the first birthday picture of the night. Roger and I did as Chrissie instructed, my arm around his waist and Roger holding the brochure before us. Chrissie giggled, more than pleased with herself.  This was it for the hotel tonight. It was time to pile into the limo and head to the north Hollywood MacDonald’s.

 I simply couldn’t wait as the seven of us filed one by one into the spacious and luxurious limo that was waiting in front of the Ritz-Carlton. Mary and Freddie immediately took over the left bench seat; John had the right side to himself. Brian, Chrissie, Roger and myself claimed the back. There was a chilled bottle of champagne and a box of cigars waiting for us. We didn’t even see the driver, but Brian had exchanged some words with him prior to us invading this limo.

 “Welcome to the limitless limo where nothing is too much and Lydia is 28!” Freddie announced before giving me a wild cheer. Naturally, I went along with it, as did Mary and Roger.

 “Aren’t we…aren’t we overdressed for a MacDonald’s?” Brian asked, as the limo pulled away from the hotel.

 “We’re never overdressed, Brian!” John reminded him, knowing good and well that we were indeed overdressed for a McDonald’s. Since it was my birthday, it didn’t matter whatsoever. I can remember three years ago when Roger came back from the United States the first time. All he talked about was McDonald’s. McDonald’s this, McDonald’s that. In the states they were called French fries…in the England we called them chips and Roger was obsessed with them. As far as he was concerned, McDonald’s had the best chips he’d ever had. I had tried on several occasions to fix him burgers like the ones he had described at McDonald’s only to fail miserably every time. Roger was certainly anything but a picky eater and I swear hearing him talk about McDonald’s hamburgers made it seem as though it were the greatest thing on Earth.

 I won’t lie; it was horribly difficult to keep my hands off Roger as we headed toward Hollywood. He and I immediately took it upon ourselves to light a cigar and enjoy it’s full bodied flavor before our arrival in north Hollywood. Naturally, Freddie made fun of us, Jon and Brian shook their heads at us and Mary wanted to try it with us. None of us were paying attention to our trip because we were too caught up in each other.  We didn’t notice the traffic, the stop and go nature of creeping toward Hollywood in a sea of cars and above all we didn’t notice the near forty-five minute car ride had passed us by and we were coming to a stop in the back parking lots of a McDonald’s near the dumpster.

 “Oh my! It seems we’re here! What a magnificently trampy start to the evening! First a fast car and now a dumpster, I love it!” Freddie beamed, looking out of the tinted window the limousine.

 “Hey.” John tapped me on the shoulder as we prepared to exit the car. “Don’t wait for me, I’m going to call Veronica…ya’ know…check on her.” he said with sincerity and concern in his eyes. I gave him a nod as I followed Roger out of the back. Looking at all of us, I was beginning to think Brian was right….we were very overdressed for a McDonald’s….but not for a gay club!

 “Freddie, at least take the fur off for McDonald’s. Leave that thing in the limo!” Brian asked of him.

 “Brian, I realize you are quite jealous of my taste in clothes but you’ll have to get over it. I like to be fabulous when I go out, you should know that by now.” Freddie insisted as we made our way across the back parking lot. We were the best dressed McDonald’s patrons there ever was and as we made our way around to the side door.

 “Where’s John? What’s he doing?” Brian asked of anyone who would answer him.  I let go of Roger’s hand and slowed my pace across the parking lot to be beside Chrissie and Brian, explaining what it was John was up to. As we approached the side door, it dawned on me that I hadn’t asked Roger about the menu. I didn’t know how to order, no what to select but as we walked inside I fell in love with the tacky fluorescent lighting, the brown tile and the cream colored tables. I was delighted to see the ashtrays on the tables, the aroma of…well, a lot of things that were presumably fried or…grilled or something. I stood there a bit dumfounded and looking at all these menu choices. Hell, I hadn’t a clue what a combo meal was but if I selected one I got a souvenir Coca-Cola glass! I turned around to Roger, my eyes probably a little wilder than they should have been. I was a little swept away because I can’t even begin to describe how good he looked in a black-collared polo shit, a silver chain and his hair all over his head. I had to stop and kiss him before even thinking about doing anything else.

 “Hmm…what do I like? Whaaaaat do I like?” Freddie talked to himself, tapping his lips and examining the menu overhead. “Mary, isn’t this great! Didn’t Roger and I have the best idea!?” he chirped at her.

 “It really was a great idea!” Mary said.

“Oh my god! Do they give you your order on one of those dark brown trays with the paper liner!?” Chrissie asked, excitedly.

 “Yes, we get a liner.” Brian answered, crossing his arms and having not a single clue what to order considering most of the menu contained meat.

 “You order first, babe.” Roger told me, pushing me toward the counter.

 “I don’t know what to order! What the hell do I get!? What’s the difference between a hamburger and a Big Mac!? Rog, what’s a quarter pounder with cheese and how is that different from a cheese burger!? Jesus! A filet-o-fish!? Oh! Look there babe, I see those fries you like so well.

 “Oh, I know, I know, Lyd. I’m not gonna’ hold back even the least bit.” He said kissing me. “Hi, I’d like…” I interrupted Roger immediately, not realizing he was about to order for us.

 “NO! NO I WANNA DO IT! I WANNA ORDER AT MCDONALD’S IN HOLLYWOOD!” I practically yelled.  Roger laughed at me and gladly agreed to turn it over to me.

 “Hi, can I take you’re order?” a waitress said to me. Immediately, I blushed and laughed like an intoxicated fool.

 “Oh! Well, oh my! Yes, yes…oh….goodness! Hi there! I would like…hmmm…” I thought for a moment.

 “Why are you wearin’ those sunglasses in here? I can see my reflection in those things.” Brian asked Roger.

 “I can’t read the menu without ‘em.” He confessed. Brian shook his head.

 “You and Fred look ridiculous.” Brian rolled his eyes.

 “I would like…two  of the…the Big Mac…things. Um, oh yes a large Hi-C Orange bev…” Roger cut me off.

 “No! No! Lydia! Two! Get two of those!” he told me.

“Oh my, yes! I must have two of the Hi-C orange beverage as well, thank you for the reminder!” Freddie said as he was trying to complete he and Mary’s order.

 “Sorry, two Hi-C orange beverages. I’m going to need three large chips…FRIES! FRIES! I MEAN FRIES!” I quickly corrected myself. “I’m sorry, I’ve never done this before."

"Would you like to make that a combo?" the attendant asked me. I felt like I was hit with the most intriguing question I'd ever heard. I thought a moment and spund around the look at Roger. He heard what the girl had asked me and so he shook his head rather frantically.

"Yes! Yes I would love to make that a combo!" I told her with great confidnce. 

“You order for us, yeah?” I’ll find us a couple tables.” Chrisse said, putting an arm on Brian. It was about this then that John came inside only to find us causing a ruckus at the counter. I wished so much that Veronica were here to see Freddie ordering a quarter pounder in a fur, me ordering food in an American fast food place for the first time and trying not to make a fool of myself, and Brian being over-all embarrassed and uncomfortable. She was missing this time together that we would never get back. She didn’t see my husband give me the car of my dreams and above that, she was missing the best birthday ever. The night was still young and I couldn’t wait to sit down and eat all this with my six best birthday guests.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

424 28 9
A certain group called Queen have already recorded three albums, but due to disagreements with the guy, they had to get separated from their bassist...
19.8K 618 11
Somewhat of a sequel to my previous story. Freddie, Brian, John, and Roger are headed to a college town for a lost weekend.
300K 8.1K 48
It's the beginning summer vacation and you are going into your senior year of high school. Every summer, you leave our main home in the east coast an...
43.8K 1.4K 51
Daisy has started her new life in New Orleans and escapes her demons in London. With lies, corruption and death surrounding their relationship, can...