Agony and the Ecstasy

“And then, I swear to god I thought I was gonna’ get knocked out! I have never felt Brian rock a headboard like that!” Chrissie exclaimed shaking her head frantically at Veronica over the top of her coffee cup. Veronica blinked a couple of times and stirred her coffee. “Oh! And Roger would rather have sex with John as Brian.” She quickly added. Veronica couldn’t help but laugh. They were a awkwardly silent for a bit as the two of them continued their late afternoon lunch.  Chrissie glanced up from her spinach omelet a couple times.  “Mmm! Ahger, ought, idia, a orette!” she said with her mouth full. Veronica looked up to her, puzzled by what Chrissie just said.

 “Huh?” she asked.

 “Chrissie washed down her omelet with the coffee before her. “Roger bought Lydia a Corvette for her birthday. Oh god, you should have seen her face. She was truly surprised.” She explained. Veronica studied Chrissie’s face for a moment.

 “What’s he redeeming himself for?” she asked.

 “What do you mean?” Chrissie asked, resuming her omelet. Veronica rolled her eyes.

 “Come on. If Lydia wanted a Corvette all she had to do was go write the check for it. So, what made Roger run out and buy it for her before she could? What did he do?” Veronica asked. Chrissie’s face sunk a bit because Veronica’s words were bitter in nature.

 “He didn’t do anything! He knew how much she wanted a Corvette. She’s talked about one for months and Roger wanted to get it for her.” Chrissie said rather disappointedly. Chrissie watched Veronica continue to push her spoon around, watching her carefully with sad eyes. Veronica glanced up to Chrissie and darted her eyes back to her pasta. She shook her head.  “What?” Chrissie asked, putting her fork aside. Veronica looked at her with a most terrified and fearful stare. Her eyes seemed to be screaming ‘help me’.

 “I….” Veronica pushed her plate aside and put her hands on her temples, shaking her head again. “How can…” She couldn’t fight herself any longer. The tears instantly began to streak her face.

 “Hey….hey…Veronica….what is….what’s wrong? Tell me. What’s going on with you?” Chrissie too, pushed her plate aside and reached for Veronica’s hands. Never before had Veronica Deacon acted this way. It was as if another person were sitting across the table.

 Mary sat up quickly in bed. Freddie was watching TV beside her and passionately trying to guess the puzzles on his most favorite program that aired in the United States: Wheel of Fortune. Mary gasped and covered her mouth, the sheet falling from her chest momentarily. She was wearing a thin camisole and but the slightly cool air of the suite still made her reflexively reach for the sheet once again. “Wait…Lyd…you need to start over. What?” Mary gasped again. “You did…what? Oh my….god, Lydia! That’s your husband. I’m not sure….do you do those kinds of things to your….” Mary thought for a moment and shrugged. “You know what, I think you can only do those kinds of things to your husband. Why do you two get so…experimental….when you have…things…in your system?”

 “I don’t know, Mary! I don’t know why we get so nuts when a lot of illegal drugs have been involved….or a lot of alcohol…or both! Mary, Roger and I looked at each other with that ‘oh my god we’ve been horny for six hours’ look in our eyes this morning! Mary gasped again.

 “Lydia, I don’t even think that’s healthy for a man!” she said.

 “It’s not healthy for….never mind! You don’t understand, we’ve had about three hours of sleep, if that! We are both still high on this shit….we think! Every hole I have is sore! We did things you only read about in Hustler magazine! I am freaking out! He’s freaking out! IT’S A FREAK OUT, Mary! We would have never taken that stuff had we known it made you say things you only hear on those raunchy sex lines where you’ll never seen the person on the other end!” I stopped there for a moment and recapped some of the words that escaped our mouths the night before in my mind. God, it mortified me just to think of it.  “I can’t repeat it to you!” I said to Mary as I absolutely panicked in the phone to her. Roger and I had taken this fuckin’ ecstasy and crossed the line into….we didn’t know where we had crossed it into. All I knew is that this bed was covered in purple glitter and somehow stained purple in places. I was sore, raw and in more agony than the New Years Eve I got carpet burned at Veronica’s. I honest to god had no idea where Roger and I had gotten the lubricant bottle that was empty in the floor. But oh god…..god do I remember using it...”Mary! Are you still listening to me!?” I said frantically.